Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Just an update regarding the Colt 14.5" barrels from Brownells. I received mine today and it did not have a "F" marked FSB. Though I did measure it and it was exactly 1.980" so it is the correct height for a flat top upper just not marked as such.
View Quote
Good
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Glitches get stitches
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
GGS ×2

@stealthguy where the pics at bruh.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
GGS ×2

@stealthguy where the pics at bruh.
View Quote
I’m stuck here until midnight. I’ll post one when I get back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

I read ft. lbs. Guess I sub-consiously knew what was meant.
View Quote
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Same here.
View Quote
Yes, we all knew what was meant, but it never fails that some dude would take that info and try torquing to those specs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

Nice.

ETA: Anyone know why the recent SOCOM barrels haven't been F marked?
View Quote
Because Colt does dumb things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice.

Yup. If you compare the new ones to the ones we have always received in the past, its quite obviously due to cost cutting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#10]

Nice.

View Quote
My best guess is that the F marking fairy got laid and decided there was better things to do then F mark FSP 's.

Okay,  so maybe I have no idea but if I guessed it was a new employee that totally screwed up and a QC supervisor that is getting written up and a marketing gal that's hot enough to pull it off as "a step we didn't think was necessary anymore due to the overwhelming use of that height FSP but due to surprising confusion the next batch with be F marked once again"
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]

They have the flats. Hard to see in that pic because the oil and finish is a bit rough looking. But I definitely see a flat
View Quote
That would seem to indicate they're cut barrels rather than factory 10.3, no?  Since the flats are for installing the M203 (or using your wrench if you Facebook).

BT BT

Questions for the masses...do GL/SSC questions go here or in the CQBR thread?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gatordev:
That would seem to indicate they're cut barrels rather than factory 10.3, no?  Since the flats are for installing the M203 (or using your wrench if you Facebook).

BT BT

View All Quotes

They have the flats. Hard to see in that pic because the oil and finish is a bit rough looking. But I definitely see a flat

BT BT

They don't look cut down. Probably just another dumb decision by the US Government. Put M203 cuts on a barrel that can't mount an M203.

GL/SSC usually discussed in here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Because #glitch...

Get a Docter to piggyback your SU-230. Fucking light years better than BUIS anyways. At least that's how I feel about my piggybacked RMR, but it also doesn't use batteries.
View Quote
I'd go straight for the RMR.  I had a Docter (which I really need to list for sale) but switched it to the RMR because it was light-years more usable, especially when the gun was pointed anywhere near 180 degrees of the sun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]

They don't look cut down. Probably just another dumb decision by the US Government. Put M203 cuts on a barrel that can't mount an M203.

GL/SSC usually discussed in here.
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised but figured I'd ask given the point of the cuts.

As for the GL/SSC, I've done some Google searching, but wasn't able to find much of actual operational pictures.  Understandably, there may not be many, but was curious if anyone was able to a little bit of a pic dump of OPERATIONAL GL/SSC pics.  I was curious of setups (ie, time period/furniture/optics).
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't believe we've ever seen an issued GL/SSC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
No photographic evidence. May not have even been fielded, same as the Mk18 RIS II FSP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
I don't believe we've ever seen an issued GL/SSC.
View Quote
This. At least I haven't.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#19]

BT BT

View All Quotes

BT BT

As pez said, not necessarily. The military does ALL KINDS of shit that doesn't make sense. So they could be cut down and refinished, or they could literally just be 10.3" SOCOM profile barrels with an .070" port and unusable M203 flats.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The only person I've ever even known to have a GL/SSC is Stickman...
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Because #glitch...

I'd go straight for the RMR.  I had a Docter (which I really need to list for sale) but switched it to the RMR because it was light-years more usable, especially when the gun was pointed anywhere near 180 degrees of the sun.
View All Quotes
Because #glitch...

Get a Docter to piggyback your SU-230. Fucking light years better than BUIS anyways. At least that's how I feel about my piggybacked RMR, but it also doesn't use batteries.
I'm with you there bro. I can only remember seeing an SU-230 topped with Docter and MRDS (EO) though. But I love the dual illum RMR. (Except looking from dark into light areas)

Changing batteries (losing zero) on most mini red dots is just fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ARogueNinja:
View Quote
Member rbhoover has one as well, but he doesn't post much anymore. I want to say there are like 5 of them known to be in civilian hands.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Member rbhoover has one as well, but he doesn't post much anymore. I want to say there are like 5 of them known to be in civilian hands.
View All Quotes
Don't think I recall him. Must not have posted here for quite a while.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#24]
His last post was in April.  

He's always had some solid clones though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#25]
View All Quotes
Stickman left too. Coincidence?
Mark LaRue prob chased him off again. It happened before.

As for the GL/SSC, cool factor of 1,000. Clone factor of 0.

I've always got the feeling the test models were made, SOCOM said "yeah these are cool, but we don't need a barrel length in between 14.5 and 10.3" and DD said "good, we don't like selling FDE RIS IIs anyways unless you buy our full URGs" and SOCOM said "it puts the lotion on its skin Daniel".......or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
@ECPrevette was taking pics of one he borrowed from an arfcommer. Can't remember who had it though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]

I've always got the feeling the test models were made, SOCOM said "yeah these are cool, but we don't need a barrel length in between 14.5 and 10.3" and DD said "good, we don't like selling FDE RIS IIs anyways unless you buy our full URGs" and SOCOM said "it puts the lotion on its skin Daniel".......or something like that.
View All Quotes

Yeah, he and Mark got in dick measuring contest, so Stick packed up and left. I think it was also proven that it was more than one person posting under that account, but I don't think that violates any rules. I just miss his pics.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Yeah, he and Mark got in dick measuring contest, so Stick packed up and left. I think it was also proven that it was more than one person posting under that account, but I don't think that violates any rules. I just miss his pics.
View All Quotes

Under Stickmans account? Interesting. Him and I got into it once, because I informed him "eye dominance" is not something you can just change on the fly. Kind of like you not being able to just right now turn into a right handed dude. He just wasn't getting it. He then told me I was wrong because I was (at the time) 26 years of age.

Other than that he was cool tho lol
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Under Stickmans account? Interesting. Him and I got into it once, because I informed him "eye dominance" is not something you can just change on the fly. Kind of like you not being able to just right now turn into a right handed dude. He just wasn't getting it. He then told me I was wrong because I was (at the time) 26 years of age.

View All Quotes

I think it was all while his account was an "individual" account but being run/used by a company (Rainier IIRC) but he changed over to an Industry account for a while before he took his toys and went home.

Pretty much every time I talked with him, I kept asking him to let me get his China Doll lower. He was always cool with me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it was all while his account was an "individual" account but being run/used by a company (Rainier IIRC) but he changed over to an Industry account for a while before he took his toys and went home.

Pretty much every time I talked with him, I kept asking him to let me get his China Doll lower. He was always cool with me.
View All Quotes

Ah that first paragraph does ring a bell. I remember site staff bringing it up as something they weren't happy about. I guess moves must've been made while I was on my (voluntary) vacation.

CD 2016 rebuild pic to keep it on track-

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]
@ECPrevette was taking pics of one he borrowed from an arfcommer. Can't remember who had it though.
View All Quotes
That's the one that belongs to rbhoover. Rbhoover bought it off of Tinycrumb IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Ah that first paragraph does ring a bell. I remember site staff bringing it up as something they weren't happy about. I guess moves must've been made while I was on my (voluntary) vacation.

https://i.imgur.com/yMcMRsR.jpg
View All Quotes

I'd love to have all of those "lovingly used" parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#33]
That's the one that belongs to rbhoover. Rbhoover bought it off of Tinycrumb IIRC.
View All Quotes
Ah. Damn thing is a whore.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

IIRC I think those were all brand new parts. Probably just a smoke plume sheen from the guy firing the mini gun behind him.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Badger MK12 block is impossible to get on this barrel.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

https://i.imgur.com/DNlc8lK.jpg
View Quote
Well tits. Stevie said he had the same issue. Did you try heating the block?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Nope. Don’t have the hand guard and barrel nut yet so no point. I guess I was lucky that gas block slid on and off the 10.3 barrel. Shit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#38]

IIRC I think those were all brand new parts. Probably just a smoke plume sheen from the guy firing the mini gun behind him.
View Quote
Aren't you too young to actually know that there was a time Jodie Foster was popular and possibly considered hot.  I think I thought so.  A million years ago.  Or is that movie some kind of classic?

On a relational level: I thought I hadn't noticed Stickman posting lately.

On a technical level: I've heard it said M855A1 is burning barrels out quicker than regular M855 or regular ammo in general.  Is there truth in that?  Is the new URG meant to be shooting that stuff?  Is CD changing barrels out quicker now?  Or other armorers?  Is it worth it?

Probably the wrong forum to ask, but it came up today in another thread and I'm curious......

And one more technical thing....  After all these years I'm just noticing that some commercial M4 style barrels have a step down right in front of the FSB.  Like they go from .750 to something smaller than that but not much.  Like .740 or something.  Are Colt or FN barrels like that or are they just .750 going forward of the FSB?  I think my RRA barrel doesn't have that step down.  I'll have to double check.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope. Don’t have the hand guard and barrel nut yet so no point. I guess I was lucky that gas block slid on and off the 10.3 barrel. Shit.
View All Quotes

High heat to the block is what will be your saving grace. You could also freeze the barrel (barrel metal grains contract, gas block metal grains expand)

Beyond that I'm not sure broseph. I only ever used the Colt FSB on that barrel. I'm sure the old paint residue isn't helping any
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#40]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Aren't you too young to actually know that there was a time Jodie Foster was popular and possibly considered hot.  I think I thought so.  A million years ago.  Or is that movie some kind of classic?

On a technical level: I've heard it said M855A1 is burning barrels out quicker than regular M855 or regular ammo in general.  Is there truth in that?  Is the new URG meant to be shooting that stuff?  Is CD changing barrels out quicker now?  Or other armorers?  Is it worth it?

Probably the wrong forum to ask, but it came up today in another thread and I'm curious......

And one more technical thing....  After all these years I'm just noticing that some commercial M4 style barrels have a step down right in front of the FSB.  Like they go from .750 to something smaller than that but not much.  Like .740 or something.  Are Colt or FN barrels like that or are they just .750 going forward of the FSB?  I think my RRA barrel doesn't have that step down.  I'll have to double check.
View All Quotes

I think Jodie Foster still is hot. (ill be 29 in March)

@Stealthguy dude honestly I would take it to a shop with a hydraulic press or send to ADCO for install. The heat trick might not even work so, it might be best to pay to make it somebody else's problem. Plus Steve at ADCO does this for a living. Just remember to put the RIS II barrel nut on first if you do
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

Yeah, I had to heat the shit out of mine. Same with the DD gas block on my Mk12. I just hope I don't need to take them off  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I had to heat the shit out of mine. Same with the DD gas block on my Mk12. I just hope I don't need to take them off  
View All Quotes

I got my DD block half way on my MK12 mod 1 barrel with a mallet. Thing was so beat up looking by that point I cut it off with a dremel.

Long barrels and Mk12 gas block just don't seem to jive. Luckily on the 10.3 you only have to get it to slide like an inch or 2.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I had problems with my first CQBR and DD MK12 block. I just tried a Geissele block and it was fine. Who ever did the specs for the MK12 gas block is a fucking asshole.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Getting the mk12 gas block on my M4A1 was a pain in the ass. What worked best was taking the largest punch I had and put it on the front of the block and hammered it into place. The larger punch won't really mark up the block either.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#45]
So both the Badger and DD gasblocks are a massive pain the ass? Those are the only two options right?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#46]
What is going on with that upper? No colt C? Sub contractor upper I guess?

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By henryfrank:

Yeah. Contractor upper. From what I've seen he gets those square forge (brass & aluminum enterprises) and FN uppers for rebuilds. I don't think he gets any Colt. Those Colt receivers are from the original upper as it came
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Colt is a sub contractor also.  Govt looks at a part as a part.  If Beretta won a contract for spare magazines for the New M17/M18 pistols than they could be mixed.

CD
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:17:41 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
@StealthGuy

I don't know if this shit helps but on Operation Parts  It says for the Badger gas block
Note: These are press fit.
So I guess that means heat the shit out of it to slide it on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
The diameter in front of the gas block on USGI barrels is .735“-.745“ IIRC.
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top