AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 906 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
Pulled the trigger...couldn't pass it up!  Now I'm thinking about a second...this is a disease.
View Quote
Still need a charging handle and bolt carrier group though
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By VIP3R:

View Quote
Was going to just pick up a Toolcraft BCG unless that will get me flamed...already have a CH.

Are there clone correct BCGs and CHs for Block II's?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#3]
Originally Posted By BlackRifleBandit:

Have they always been .070?  I've got a coworker that bought one from them last July (2016) and wants to sell it.  Still in the wrapper.  I don't want to tear it down to find out.  DD pins the MK12 Gas Block at the factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have they always been .070?  I've got a coworker that bought one from them last July (2016) and wants to sell it.  Still in the wrapper.  I don't want to tear it down to find out.  DD pins the MK12 Gas Block at the factory.
I don't know about always. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out mine was .070 and I bought it on 5/1/2017.  I'd only heard of .070 DD 10.3"s being available previous to that as a fairly uncommon contract overrun, or that it might be possible to get .070 GP barrels from the Daniel Defense custom shop. I assumed at first the Brownells URGs were some kind of one off deal or special order from the DD custom shop. If I recall correctly, the box label says "Custom URG" on the one I ordered, so at the time that made a lot of sense. But, now it seems all commercial 10.3 offerings from DD are going to be .070 or .072. I can't guarantee it's .070 and not .072, as I didn't measure with a pin gauge and used a caliper. But I can definitely guarantee they aren't .082.  

As to what the one from 7/16 would have, I'd guess probably .082, but no way of knowing without measuring.

I just signed up for active junky...is it too late to get the $10 off for being a new member invited by an existing?
If you've already given them a Paypal address, probably not. If you just signed up without providing PP info yet, you could probably just get invited and then sign up with a different email.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#4]

Was going to just pick up a Toolcraft BCG unless that will get me flamed...already have a CH.

View Quote
The correct CH would be a PRI Gas Buster with military latch. Although, I'd highly recommend the combat latch instead. It's much more comfortable for one handed manipulation (on par with a BCM Mod4). I started out with the Military/Big Latch and found it really uncomfortable for using your left palm for charging. I have the FDE finished GB in mine, but the black one is more correct I'd assume. The newer GBs also run a solid pin instead of a roll pin, which is a nice upgrade for longevity.

The correct BCG would be a Colt, but I wouldn't sweat it personally. I run a TC in mine. Besides, you're already running a DD barrel and upper receiver, which should be Colt. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but I'm sure somewhere there is a clone Nazi that would say you failed, lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#5]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VIP3R:

Colt from the factory/CRANE, FN BCG as replacement for rebuilds. Toolcraft is also a mil contractor tho so I wouldn't sweat it. Pretty much the same deal as running a DD upper instead of a Colt
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Colt from the factory/CRANE, FN BCG as replacement for rebuilds. Toolcraft is also a mil contractor tho so I wouldn't sweat it. Pretty much the same deal as running a DD upper instead of a Colt
View Quote
Yeah, Toolcraft's mil contract is to provide replacement BCGs to the military as well; didn't even think about that. I don't know the specifics of who gets the TC BCG replacements, but I suppose it's entirely possible a CQBR is running a replacement TC BCG somewhere out there.

I already have the cage code for the US Army Depot in Anniston, AL that does small arms repair on my UID. I'll just tell people I put the TC BCG in not because it's the best BCG for the money, but as part of some elaborate backstory wherein my clone was repaired at the Anniston Depot. Boom, clone points and I wasn't even trying ;p.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My mind is slipping - can someone remind me the details on a Colt government profile M4 barrel cut down... Does the gas port have to be opened to the .070, or are they ported that way from the start?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
My mind is slipping - can someone remind me the details on a Colt government profile M4 barrel cut down... Does the gas port have to be opened to the .070, or are they ported that way from the start?
View Quote
Yeah, it'd need to be opened up. Factory 14.5" or 16" is .062 if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
View Quote
Has to be opened to .070 from .063.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Someone posted pics of a unit purchase of Raptors if that's your preference.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
PRI gasbuster is correct, which i can't recommend because i have broken 2 latches already.

CD posted a pic with the raptors, i think the CQBRS belonged to a national guard unit.

Im running a raptor in mine and love it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
No, the commercial barrels were .8-something previously, DD's response was they used a larger gas port to be compatible with a wider range of ammo for civilian market, basically so guys running tula and other steel case junk wouldn't complain about there DD MK18's not running.  But, it appears they've wised up and start shipping commercial's with correct .70 ports.  Military/Contract Overrun barrels were always .70, though.

If a commercial gun from July 2016, I would suspect it likely is an .082 port.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#14]
Originally Posted By krdt:

The correct CH would be a PRI Gas Buster with military latch. Although, I'd highly recommend the combat latch instead. It's much more comfortable for one handed manipulation (on par with a BCM Mod4). I started out with the Military/Big Latch and found it really uncomfortable for using your left palm for charging. I have the FDE finished GB in mine, but the black one is more correct I'd assume. The newer GBs also run a solid pin instead of a roll pin, which is a nice upgrade for longevity.

The correct BCG would be a Colt, but I wouldn't sweat it personally. I run a TC in mine. Besides, you're already running a DD barrel and upper receiver, which should be Colt. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but I'm sure somewhere there is a clone Nazi that would say you failed, lol.
View Quote
I'm converting to the combat latch as well, just ordered two from PRI with the Labor Day sale.  I think it was probably one of krdt's earlier posts that got me thinking about it, as the Mil Last is kinda small and slippery :).

I like the Raptors too, it's what I run on non-clones...  Such a good design.  I even have a Raptor inspired latch on my AR-22 ;).
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If it were a standard commercial DD Mk18 complete upper, I'd say 90% chance it's a .082 port, but I'm not sure about the DD Mk18 URGs from Brownells. I haven't seen anyone else selling the stripped uppers outside of Brownells, and they say "Custom URG" on the box rather than "Mk18 URG". So, it's possible they ordered them spec'ed to .070 from the beginning. Who knows. Since they are already fairly heavily test fired from the factory and disassembling it to measure isn't on the table, I'd say go test fire it with an H buffer and you'll know pretty quickly if it's .070 or .082.

I never quite understood the whole "you need a massive gas port to run anything less than 5.56" thing manufacturers push. My .070 runs Wolf to M193 and everything in between just fine unsuppressed with an H buffer. Never tried Tula, but I'm guessing it would probably be the only thing it wouldn't run reliably. But, I could throw a carbine buffer in it if I really wanted to and likely run that as well. I contend it's less an issue with bulk steel case ammo and more an issue with people who don't tune their guns to the ammo they shoot. The Noveske 10.5" I have in my Mod 0 has something like a .078 port and I would really prefer if it were .070. It runs Wolf to M193 with an H3 unsuppressed.

One of these days I'll swap it for a proper 10.3" .070 so it doesn't have to hide its .2" deformity in shame :\. Hopefully someone finally gets some factory Colt 10.3s in before it needs a new barrel, or maybe I'll try one of the Andro Corp 10.3s.

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

I'm converting to the combat latch as well, just ordered two from PRI with the Labor Day sale.  I think it was probably one of krdt's earlier posts that got me thinking about it, as the Mil Last is kinda small and slippery :).

I like the Raptors too, it's what I run on non-clones...  Such a good design.  I even have a Raptor inspired latch on my AR-22 ;).
View Quote
Yeah, I have been really happy with my GB since I switched to the combat latch. I still prefer a BCM Mod44A (haven't tried a Raptor), but it's a lot more tolerable now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Your avatar threw me off.

CQBR thread has already strayed far enough off topic these last few pages, might as well post a GL/SSC
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#17]
Might as well slap an SU253 on there.

That's a heavy bitch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
Geiselle rails they look better than the DD rails.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
Your avatar threw me off.

CQBR thread has already strayed far enough off topic these last few pages, might as well post a GL/SSC
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/36244646520_ccb0658533_b.jpg
View Quote
Haha, yeah. I wanted something CQBR related and liked your idea. But no PEQ, no RC and the light is on the opposite side ;p. I'll be fixing the lack of RC soon though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:14:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Is that the Mk8 or Mk4 Geissele rail?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#21]
i personally like the looks of the DD rail over the geissele but can see why they would be moving to the geissele.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Is that the Mk8 or Mk4 Geissele rail?
View Quote
That's a Mk8.

All G rails are on sale right now, FYI. Since we are on the topic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I know we have seen scout m600 in the wild but have we seen anyone running m300s? 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Can someone send me an active junky invite?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By purevl2:
Can someone send me an active junky invite?
View Quote
Pm me your email
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
i personally like the looks of the DD rail over the geissele but can see why they would be moving to the geissele.
View Quote
Are thy moving to the Mk8 or Mk4...I think I like the Mk4, personally...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Are thy moving to the Mk8 or Mk4...I think I like the Mk4, personally...
View Quote
It will be something more like the Mk14 or Mk16
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#28]
Edit, got my invite and ordered with active junky.  Got a Geisselle SSA, too and got $110 off!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007] [#29]
Originally Posted By purevl2:

Anyone else?  I haven't received the invite yet and I want me before they sell out.
View Quote
I sent it a while ago!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Do the 10.3 barrels that DD sells with a LPGB come pinned or are they just set screw.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rlee560:
Do the 10.3 barrels that DD sells with a LPGB come pinned or are they just set screw.  Thanks.
View Quote
Pinned MK12.  The RIGHT way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

That's a Mk8.

All G rails are on sale right now, FYI. Since we are on the topic.
View Quote
Lol, where are they in stock?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know if they are moving to the Mk8 or Mk4 on those 416's?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#34]
What are you guys using for a lower on the clone build? I was thinking of a Colt M4 lower but not sure if that's right. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know if they are moving to the Mk8 or Mk4 on those 416's?
View Quote
The HK rail is an entirely different system and does not have a "Mk" designation currently
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:52:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#36]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
What are you guys using for a lower on the clone build? I was thinking of a Colt M4 lower but not sure if that's right. Thanks for the help
View Quote
A Colt 6920 SOCOM M4A1 Carbine marked lower would be optimum, but ridiculously expensive to buy alone. The only remotely reasonable option is to buy a 6920 SOCOM and part it out. I suppose second best would be a Colt M4 Carbine marked 6920 lower. After that, once you're talking about markings that aren't even vaguely correct, it really doesn't matter as long as it's a milspec lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#37]
A Colt 6920 SOCOM M4A1 Carbine marked lower would be optimum, but ridiculously expensive to buy alone. The only remotely reasonable option is to buy a 6920 SOCOM and part it out. I suppose second best would be a Colt M4 Carbine marked 6920 lower. After that, once you're talking about markings that aren't even vaguely correct, it really doesn't matter as long as it's a milspec lower.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Or do a 80%

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#38]
True. I thought about mentioning that, but figured I'd keep it off the shelf. Curious, how much did that lower run you after engraving and anodization? I'd have to factor in the cost of a jig and router as well, but just wondering how it compares to other options for a really accurate lower.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#39]
True. I thought about mentioning that, but figured I'd keep it off the shelf. Curious, how much did that lower run you after engraving and anodization? I'd have to factor in the cost of a jig and router as well, but just wondering how it compares to other options for a really accurate lower.
View All Quotes
Spit balling here: $35 for the lower, $65 for engraving, $75 for ano........so $175 ish.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I put a full M3X kit up in the EE, for info if anyone's looking... Would appreciate thoughts on the price, since there's not much to go on.  Includes light, tape switch and dual switch, IR Filter , extra bulb, and TD QD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Spit balling here: $35 for the lower, $65 for engraving, $75 for ano........so $175 ish.
View Quote
Hmm, other than the initial investment for the jig and router, that is a pretty tempting price point for getting about as accurate a semi-auto lower as possible. Probably would need to buy 2 or 3 lowers to practice until I got one perfect enough that I'd want to Form 1 it (never milled an 80% before). I guess I could just look at the up front costs as an investment in being covered for lowers... basically from now on, lol. Thanks for the info. Assuming it was a good experience, you mind posting or PM'ing me the engraver you used? Did you just provide images for the roll mark and other details?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#42]
Hmm, other than the initial investment for the jig and router, that is a pretty tempting price point for getting about as accurate a semi-auto lower as possible. Probably would need to buy 2 or 3 lowers to practice until I got one perfect enough that I'd want to Form 1 it (never milled an 80% before). I guess I could just look at the up front costs as an investment in being covered for lowers... basically from now on, lol. Thanks for the info. Assuming it was a good experience, you mind posting or PM'ing me the engraver you used? Did you just provide images for the roll mark and other details?
View All Quotes
Definitely do this. While my first attempt was 100% functional and from the outside you could never tell, it was less than optimal (especially if you've got OCD ). Subsequent attempts got better and better. I used braceman. He's got all the files for pretty much any clone you could think of.

If you do decide to buy a jig and plan to either do more than a handful or loan it to friends, get one with steel drill bushings. After a half dozen, my jig plates need to be replaced so that'll be another $80 I'll have to drop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Definitely do this. While my first attempt was 100% functional and from the outside you could never tell, it was less than optimal (especially if you've got OCD ). Subsequent attempts got better and better. I used braceman. He's got all the files for pretty much any clone you could think of.

If you do decide to buy a jig and plan to either do more than a handful or loan it to friends, get one with steel drill bushings. After a half dozen, my jig plates need to be replaced so that'll be another $80 I'll have to drop.
View Quote
Where did you get your anodizing done?  I'm hearing some places have stopped taking 80% lowers...?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Where did you get your anodizing done?  I'm hearing some places have stopped taking 80% lowers...?
View All Quotes

Some place in FL. Name was something like "Fusion Metal Finishing" or "Synergy Metal Finishing". This was before the whole faux 3rd pin debacle, but I think finishers are only refusing those.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Some place in FL. Name was something like "Fusion Metal Finishing" or "Synergy Metal Finishing". This was before the whole faux 3rd pin debacle, but I think finishers are only refusing those.
View Quote
Gotcha...I'm familiar with who your mentioning.  Braceman is currently working on a few things for me.  He's a talented guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Gotcha...I'm familiar with who your mentioning.  Braceman is currently working on a few things for me.  He's a talented guy.
View All Quotes
That ain't no shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:55:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rlee560] [#47]
Will the DD mk12 gas block fit under a Geissele mk14 or mk8 handguard? I'm leaning heavily towards the mk14.  I just ordered a 10.3 barrel with the mk12 from DD and was curious.  I have read some conflicting statements.  

Worried I should have just got the blank barrel.  I would like to be able to put any rail on without worries including something like the BCM as I like to change things up.  I realize this is not exactly MK18 related but you guys are the experts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#48]
The Geissele SSA-E trigger is what most are running correct?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#49]
Looking like I'm going to start the journey into the MK18 after I get my big bonus from work. Geissele rails acceptable now?? I haven't had time to search the entire thread for them, going to start with a block 1 and go from there. Any particular brace acceptable until form 1 is approved? Planning on throwing out the cash for a corn cob and an RC in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#50]
View All Quotes
Quick question about anodizing - I know it's not an exact science (as far as color matching) and batche shave different colors, but can a good anodizer get close to a color? Say the HK 416A5 color for a project?

Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:
The Geissele SSA-E trigger is what most are running correct?
Yep, and SSA.

Originally Posted By rlee560:
Will the DD mk12 gas block fit under a Geissele mk14 or mk8 handguard? I'm leaning heavily towards the mk14.  I just ordered a 10.3 barrel with the mk12 from DD and was curious.  I have read some conflicting statements.  

Worried I should have just got the blank barrel.  I would like to be able to put any rail on without worries including something like the BCM as I like to change things up.  I realize this is not exactly MK18 related but you guys are the experts.
Pretty sure the only Geissele rail that would be cool in this thread at this juncture is the 416 rail, or a MK16 if they were commercially available. The DD Gas Block should fit. I had one under a MK4 and I have a VLTOR under my MK3.

Originally Posted By aaron580:
Looking like I'm going to start the journey into the MK18 after I get my big bonus from work. Geissele rails acceptable now?? I haven't had time to search the entire thread for them, going to start with a block 1 and go from there. Any particular brace acceptable until form 1 is approved? Planning on throwing out the cash for a corn cob and an RC in the near future.
No Geisseles are MK18 approved yet as far as I know. If you're going for a Block 1/Mod 0/FSP build just buy my upper. As far as braces, none are correct but I've never minded when someone posted one as a place holder due to a non-NFA state or pending stamp. SoloDallas had some great pistol builds.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 906 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top