AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 907 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: footsoldier9th] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNW:

Quick question about anodizing - I know it's not an exact science and batche shave different colors, but can a good anodizer get close to a color? Say the HK 416A5 color for a project?

Yep, and SSA.

Pretty sure the only Geissele rail that would be cool in this thread at this juncture is the 416 rail, or a MK16 if they were commercially available. The DD Gas Block should fit. I had one under a MK4 and I have a VLTOR under my MK3.

No Geisseles are MK18 approved yet as far as I know. If you're going for a Block 1/Mod 0/FSP build just buy my upper. As far as braces, none are correct but I've never minded when someone posted one as a place holder due to a non-NFA state or pending stamp. SoloDallas had some great pistol builds.
View Quote
Is it just personal preference SSA-E over the SSA?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:

Is it just personal preference SSA-E over the SSA?
View Quote
Pretty much. I'd wager most are probably using the SSA over the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNW] [#3]
Yep, I grabbed a G2S even one time when Geissele had a blem sale and I've been very happy with it.

The select fire lowers use a SSF if I recall.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I am building an MK18 Mod 0. And I had a question about the front handguard retainer.

Is the full round or M203 cut retainer correct?

Thanks
E3
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
MOD 0 Complete
Well I need a new ST07...but it's done.

Crammed into a 1520

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EARRNHARDT3:
I am building an MK18 Mod 0. And I had a question about the front handguard retainer.

Is the full round or M203 cut retainer correct?

Thanks
E3
View Quote
M203 cutout
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rlee560:
Will the DD mk12 gas block fit under a Geissele mk14 or mk8 handguard? I'm leaning heavily towards the mk14.  I just ordered a 10.3 barrel with the mk12 from DD and was curious.  I have read some conflicting statements.  

Worried I should have just got the blank barrel.  I would like to be able to put any rail on without worries including something like the BCM as I like to change things up.  I realize this is not exactly MK18 related but you guys are the experts.
View Quote
It won't fit under a MK8 unless you remove material from the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Did a little pew pew today. CQBR was flawless. Mod 0 wouldn't pick up the next round unless I went to Mk262 so I think need to check the gas port. Not sure if ADCO touched it when I sent it in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Already have a DD Mk18 but I want another from brownells that has the smaller gas port.  I missed out on the M6V code it doesn't work anymore.  Only code I can get to work is H7L which is $20 off and free 5-7 shipping.  Anyone else have a better code?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, I grabbed a G2S even one time when Geissele had a blem sale and I've been very happy with it.

The select fire lowers use a SSF if I recall.
View Quote
I've installed the SSA in SR25/Mk11 KAC 7.62mm rifles (pre M110) and SSF in Mk12, Mk18, M4A1 CQBR/URGs down range.

CD
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Definitely do this. While my first attempt was 100% functional and from the outside you could never tell, it was less than optimal (especially if you've got OCD ). Subsequent attempts got better and better. I used braceman. He's got all the files for pretty much any clone you could think of.

If you do decide to buy a jig and plan to either do more than a handful or loan it to friends, get one with steel drill bushings. After a half dozen, my jig plates need to be replaced so that'll be another $80 I'll have to drop.
View Quote
Yeah, I'd definitely need several to be happy with it. I'm pretty OCD about things being just right; I'm what you might lovingly refer to as "a perfectionist", lol. Anyway, thanks... still deciding if I really want to drop that much to have proper markings :\. I mean, I already know what I want to do, I'm just not sure my finances think it's as good of idea as I do. Arrgh! Damn you clones! Why do you have to be as irresistible as you are expensive?! Why?!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Phildo:
Already have a DD Mk18 but I want another from brownells that has the smaller gas port.  I missed out on the M6V code it doesn't work anymore.  Only code I can get to work is H7L which is $20 off and free 5-7 shipping.  Anyone else have a better code?
View Quote
Unfortunately, that's the best code going right now. Brownells has been very stingy with the codes lately; they don't even give free shipping with $10/$20/$30 codes anymore. Of course, I think they finally figured out running discount codes with free shipping constantly wasn't the best way to get people to purchase their version of Amazon Prime. Even though the $20 off isn't that great, $699 is still a fantastic deal ($20 off + 4% off from AJ). It'd be $689 if you're not already a member of AJ and get an invite from a member.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have a spare CQD end plate they want to offload? My new sling needs 50% more CQD.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Anybody have a spare CQD end plate they want to offload? My new sling needs 50% more CQD.
View Quote
Same address?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#17]
If you can't find someone with an extra, DSG Arms has them in stock. Not a great deal, but still a little cheaper than getting from CQD direct.

https://dsgarms.com/cqd-rsm

Edit: NM
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#18]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Same address?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Same address?
I.M. sent bigboi

ETA yes by the way
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I.M. sent bigboi

ETA yes by the way
View Quote
K den

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By krdt:

Unfortunately, that's the best code going right now. Brownells has been very stingy with the codes lately; they don't even give free shipping with $10/$20/$30 codes anymore. Of course, I think they finally figured out running discount codes with free shipping constantly wasn't the best way to get people to purchase their version of Amazon Prime. Even though the $20 off isn't that great, $699 is still a fantastic deal ($20 off + 4% off from AJ). It'd be $689 if you're not already a member of AJ and get an invite from a member.
View Quote
How do I get an invite?  Anyone willing to invite me to this club?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Phildo:

How do I get an invite?  Anyone willing to invite me to this club?
View Quote
Invite sent!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quick question about anodizing - I know it's not an exact science (as far as color matching) and batche shave different colors, but can a good anodizer get close to a color? Say the HK 416A5 color for a project?
View Quote
Sorry, but this response will mostly be outside the scope of the thread -- hopefully Tiny and the mods will grant some grace.

I have never been involved in the actual hands-on anodizing process, but I have coordinated a small batch ano project before. I admit to having a general fascination with anodizing that may end up getting me into trouble one day, lol. With all of that said, I'll share a little from my experience and from my ongoing research on this topic.

The first difficulty with such a project, IMO, is ensuring you have the required base materials necessary to reach your target outcome. This requires some level of research and some level of materials knowledge. With the project you mentioned, I'd suggest you start with HK receivers. Deciding not to leaves room for error when it comes to materials composition. An HK A5 receiver is near impossible to get right now, so you may need to go with their A3 receivers, or attempt to match HKs likely proprietary alloy composition with something close. A 7075 alloy would be a good bet, but it's just a bet.

The second difficulty, IMO, with what you are suggesting (i.e. a finish like that of the tan HK A5 design) is accurately talking a language that both you and an anodizer will understand. Talking in specifications and with references they're familiar with will get you a long way toward being on the same page. This unfortunately requires that you generally understand the plausible outcomes of what you're asking (which are broad). What you likely want is something close to a Type 3 Class 1 Clear (undyed) hardcoat anodize buildup, directly followed on with some combination of organic dye bath and metal particulate depositing for coloration (a primarily electrolytic coloring process). This is my best educated guess at the tan HK process.

The final difficulty, in my experience, is finding an anodizer to actually do what you're asking. Few shops do small batch niche projects like the one we are discussing. You might be able to get a smaller anodizer to try their hand at the work, but many don't have the ability or capacity to do so and do it right. Good luck getting a larger ano operation to agree to take on your project, even if they were completely able to do the hardcoat and electrolytic deposit coloring as specified.

These are some of the main factors that you have to consider with eyes wide open, even if your research concludes that different materials and finishing specifications are more fitting. I wish you the best of luck if you go for it.

End rant.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By purevl2:

Invite sent!
View Quote
Thanks brother but another member beat ya to it!! LOL
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
Your avatar threw me off.

CQBR thread has already strayed far enough off topic these last few pages, might as well post a GL/SSC
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/36244646520_ccb0658533_b.jpg
View Quote
Is that rare?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheGreatDanton:

Is that rare?
View Quote
You troll, you
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By purevl2:

Invite sent!
View Quote
Howdy, mind if I join the club as well?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Fibular:

Howdy, mind if I join the club as well?
View Quote
Just emailed you an invite with instructions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Can anybody post a photo of the latest photo of the upper Receiver of Brownell MK18 Upper markings?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone have a club invite?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
Can anybody post a photo of the latest photo of the upper Receiver of Brownell MK18 Upper markings?
View All Quotes
It's nothing too major; just a small "Daniel Defense" peeking out from under the EXPS.

Originally Posted By ChandlerKJ:
Anyone have a club invite?
Check your email :).
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AZJBT:

http://i64.tinypic.com/e04wfa.jpg
View Quote
Nice.

Anyways, what's a fair price on a like new SF4P these days?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daojag] [#32]
View Quote
I know someone beat me to it.  Couldn't pass up Brownell's sale price.  Just off the truck:

ETA:  Anyone running an SLR adjustable gas block?  The only one I can think of being mentioned frequently from memory is Govnah.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Nice.

View Quote
If you don't count the fairly used one that just sold for $105 on the EE?

I'd say between $250 to $300 seems to be the going rate, with anything under $250 for new or excellent being a relatively good price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#34]

If you don't count the fairly used one that just sold for $105 on the EE?

I'd say between $250 to $300 seems to be the going rate, with anything under $250 for new or excellent being a relatively good price.
View Quote
I thought these things were unobtanium?  

I saw one go for Fleabay for $315 something and I was sort of surprised it didn't go for more.  

Pretty sure if I somehow managed to get one in Kanadastan, I'd be the only one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Donut, they were slim pickins a couple years ago. Since I came back from my ARFCOM break there have been far more in the clone threads and the EE tho. Like anything, as time goes on more and more get out there into the civilian market. Back when I got mine and some others for guys in the thread they were unicorn farts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:

I thought these things were unobtanium?  

I saw one go for Fleabay for $315 something and I was sort of surprised it didn't go for more.  

Pretty sure if I somehow managed to get one in Kanadastan, I'd be the only one.
View Quote
There were actually 2 new in wrap and 1 in pretty good condition on Ebay within the last two weeks. One fruitbat drove the bidding up to $315 on the new ones and $296 on the used one, then welched on all but one. Might actually have been 4 available total, I lost track after all the relists when that one bidder ruined all the auctions. The bidding actually started at $180 on several of them, and I have a feeling they wouldn't have topped $250 if it weren't for that one guy. Another with some nicks just sold for $250 or less on Ebay. The seller had "Make an offer" enabled in addition to "Buy It Now", so no way of knowing if it went for less than the asking of $250. They are available pretty regularly if you keep an eye out.

One of the relisted new in wraps should still be available. Last I checked it closed without any bids (minimum opening bid was set at $295). I don't think it has been relisted, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#37]
Donut, they were slim pickins a couple years ago. Since I came back from my ARFCOM break there have been far more in the clone threads and the EE tho. Like anything, as time goes on more and more get out there into the civilian market. Back when I got mine and some others for guys in the thread they were unicorn farts.
View Quote
I would like to see what those unicorn farts smell like, lol!

It's funny what's basically unobtainable up here, for example those CQD sling plates and Wilcox mounts.

Not sure why retailers don't carry this stuff, because they seem fairly inexpensive in the US, but would fetch a small fortune up here.

Mk12 builds is the stuff of nightmares.  The brake and collar cannot be bought up here, and get a load of this, the NHMTG GI 20 round mags, no one has them.  It's savage up here, lol!

OK, well I'm going to put the idea of getting a four prong on the backburner.  

I saw that one on ebay again, starting bid $295....fml, haha!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll sell a cloner a like new 4P for well under $300 once it's removed from an upper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I've seen a  couple of four prongs go for around $200 price tag lately… Just keep an eye out.

It's funny what's basically unobtainable up here, for example those CQD sling plates and Wilcox mounts.

Not sure why retailers don't carry this stuff, because they seem fairly inexpensive in the US, but would fetch a small fortune up here.

Mk12 builds is the stuff of nightmares.  The brake and collar cannot be bought up here, and get a load of this, the NHMTG GI 20 round mags, no one has them.  It's savage up here, lol!

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I think its easier for us to get those things here because they are/were in use by our military. And I can't remember seeing any pics of those on your guys' C7's/C8's. So I'm thinking maybe that's why. As for the 4P thing just keep watching brother. I've seen a few used ones sell for cheap on the EE just since I've been back. Just gotta keep an eye open. We used to have to do that same thing to snag our FDE RIS IIs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#41]
Yeah, I would think the lack of retailers in Canada are due to export restrictions on some mil items.

ETA: Have you ever tried ordering directly from CQD or one of the few retailers that carries CQD stuff (like DSG Arms) and seeing if they will ship to you?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I would think the lack of retailers in Canada are due to export restrictions on some mil items.

ETA: Have you ever tried ordering directly from CQD or one of the few retailers that carries CQD stuff (like DSG Arms) and seeing if they will ship to you?
View Quote
Oh, I got my CQD problem sorted, but there are a few clone builders up here who are still struggling to find them.  DSG Arms won't export them directly, but companies like Aztec Armories and irunguns.com will bring them in for us, for a fee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I think its easier for us to get those things here because they are/were in use by our military. And I can't remember seeing any pics of those on your guys' C7's/C8's. So I'm thinking maybe that's why. As for the 4P thing just keep watching brother. I've seen a few used ones sell for cheap on the EE just since I've been back. Just gotta keep an eye open. We used to have to do that same thing to snag our FDE RIS IIs.
View Quote
I don't mind used, or even beat up, as long as it's functional.  Will definitely keep an eye out :)
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#44]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:We used to have to do that same thing to snag our FDE RIS IIs.
View Quote
In my day, we didn't have these fancy shmancy "FDE RIS IIs" you could just buy! If we wanted them, we forged them with our own two hands, with ore we mined ourselves... and painted them with our own blood! And we liked it! (Sorry I had a flashback to Dana Carvey's grumpy old man on SNL).

Donut: I've got a friend from .ca that wants to dip his toes into trying to build a CQBR. He's actually in BC as well. I'm not sure he's going to shoot for entirely correct, just assuming some of the parts will be ridiculously expensive, hard to find or both. Anyway, any hints for an aspiring Canadian cloner I can pass on? Like good sources for parts, mistakes to avoid? I don't want to clutter up the thread with a semi off topic conversation, but if you don't mind PM'ing me if you have any nuggets of wisdom, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Also, just curious since you mentioned 20rd mags; he was saying he can only get 5rd (maybe it was 10) mags for ARs up there. Is getting a 20rd even possible on any level (that is legal)? As in some kind of grandfather clause he doesn't know about, like we had during our ridiculous AWB?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I just got a factory DD MK18 upper, hang tag dated 6-13-17. I asked DD if they could tell me what the gas port was, no help there. So I pulled it apart. Low and behold it is .70. HTH!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I emailed DDcustomer service a few days ago and got a response from Chris McNeil confirming the gas ports are now .070 on their 10.3 barrels.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Nice.

View Quote
I just dropped mine to $225 in the EE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Anything out there to clone that uses the Maxim Defense PDW stock? Looking for an excuse to buy one and try it out...
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for your help, krdt
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I know the 4P flash hider is the clone king, any use of the new Closed tine flash hider on CQBR's? I'm not interested in over paying and risking a fake on a 4P and prefer the look and function of a closed flash hider.

Thanks guys!
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 907 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top