Originally Posted By BigPapaColt:
Remember you get what you pay for.

View Quote

True that man, true that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fuzzy-Reticle:
My DDM4v5.  I know I can't use the MBUS sites with the mount on and it is not quick detach.  I just didnt want to misplace them so I left them on.  Not hurting anything.  I will give the mount a whirl and see how I like it before I spend the $ on a Larue or ADM mount.  I like the AERO mounts but need to find them in stock first.  I'll try this and see if it suits my purpose before doing anything else to it.  Added a SSA trigger so it is off to the range to get sighted in.
<a href="http://s288.photobucket.com/user/fuzzyreticle/media/DDM4V5/IMG_9448_zpsb3e4ptpz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/DDM4V5/IMG_9448_zpsb3e4ptpz.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s288.photobucket.com/user/fuzzyreticle/media/DDM4V5/IMG_9452_zpsmyp207lo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/DDM4V5/IMG_9452_zpsmyp207lo.jpg</a>
View Quote

You can with an Allen wrench in your pocket

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, for a as close to spec recce build, a Leupold would be more correct, but as for function, close quarter and ability to group @100yrds.....Leupold mk4 Mr/t 1.5-5 illuminated spr or Vortex Razor HD 1-4 EBR 556???
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
Ok, for a as close to spec recce build, a Leupold would be more correct, but as for function, close quarter and ability to group @100yrds.....Leupold mk4 Mr/t 1.5-5 illuminated spr or Vortex Razor HD 1-4 EBR 556???
View Quote

The Leupold 1.25-4 firedot is far superior to the Vortex Viper 1-4 for close up work.

The best recce scope is a 1-6
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

The Leupold 1.25-4 firedot is far superior to the Vortex Viper 1-4 for close up work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Im confused here.  The viper is a true 1X correct?  So why would a 1.25 be far superior for close up work?  I agree that 1-6 are great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

I really need to send in the .mil order form for a strike eagle and see what's what.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#7]
Originally Posted By nickforney:

Im confused here.  The viper is a true 1X correct?  So why would a 1.25 be far superior for close up work?  I agree that 1-6 are great.
View All Quotes

Nothing [1-4 scopes] is really a 'true' 1x. The viper is 'close' but is not much better than the leupold 1.25. The vortex viper is more like a 1.1-1.2X at the lowest power whereas the leupold actually advertises itself as 1.25x because...well...leupold is cool like that, I guess.

Plus the firedot on the leupold, when turned on, acts like a red dot whereas the vortex viper has a very busy reticle at 1x.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Nothing [1-4 scopes] is really a 'true' 1x. The viper is 'close' but is not much better than the leupold 1.25. The vortex viper is more like a 1.1-1.2X at the lowest power whereas the leupold actually advertises itself as 1.25x because...well...leupold is cool like that, I guess.

Plus the firedot on the leupold, when turned on, acts like a red dot whereas the vortex viper has a very busy reticle at 1x.
View All Quotes

It has to do with eye relief and the vortex line is very near to 1x while 1.25 is definitely not and requires set eye relief.  You can of course set the brightness all the way up but that leaves your reticle in a wash for any other use.  What you consider to be very busy other make use of.  I like horse shoe and doughnut style reticles.   I for one would prefer a 2.5-10 for this kind of use as the 10 can help far more with ID of what you are shooting at.
I think it is safe to just disagree on this and state that there isn't a consensus either way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]

It has to do with eye relief and the vortex line is very near to 1x while 1.25 is definitely not and requires set eye relief.  You can of course set the brightness all the way up but that leaves your reticle in a wash for any other use.  What you consider to be very busy other make use of.  I like horse shoe and doughnut style reticles.   I for one would prefer a 2.5-10 for this kind of use as the 10 can help far more with ID of what you are shooting at.
I think it is safe to just disagree on this and state that there isn't a consensus either way.
View All Quotes

Ok, but where does this leave me with my original question about the Vortex "Razor"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Ok, but where does this leave me with my original question about the Vortex "Razor"?
View Quote

ultimately it's a subjective thing and you'll never actually know without looking thru one in person.

The razor line is damn nice glass fwiw.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
" />
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
So, I finally got that fucking rail I've been waiting on, along with the front flip up sight. Now, just waiting on the 2-600 rear buis, (not the micro) and couldn't decide which glass to go with, so I went with both. Your right, won't know till I look through. They're both brand new, only gonna keep one, so I'll give you Recce boys first dibs before it goes up on the EE
" />
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Start of my BCM RECCE
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RifleManWI:
Start of my BCM RECCE
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w624/RiflemanWI/image.jpg1_zpsx403ogsx.jpg
View Quote

Needs more Tapco.  What is the rest of the plan.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So, I finally got that fucking rail I've been waiting on, along with the front flip up sight. Now, just waiting on the 2-600 rear buis, (not the micro) and couldn't decide which glass to go with, so I went with both. Your right, won't know till I look through. They're both brand new, only gonna keep one, so I'll give you Recce boys first dibs before it goes up on the EE
http:// <a href=http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/Davey_Sickboy/IMG_20150720_141321-01_zpsahdmaiyp.jpeg</a>" />
View Quote

Damn the one I'm building is almost the exact same haha.

What barrel did you go with?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Start of my BCM RECCE

UTG too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

UTG too.
View All Quotes
Start of my BCM RECCE

UTG too.

J. has a tapco lower that I am waiting to see it on one of his 'spec' builds.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Dark brown is the new black.  For me at least.  I keep debating on spraying mine.  I did a M1A stock in it a like the color.  But I'm afraid to do my AR's for some reason.  But I think it's the best color for here.  In WI.  Well, actually I think good ole woodland covers us pretty well.   So OD is cool with me too.  

What I'm trying to say is nice build so far my state brethren!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Sick....

I love that brickwork on the counter
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]

recon is an important thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Start of my BCM RECCE

UTG too.

The Tapco lower is up in the air right now, it might end up as a super Gucci tactical hipster gun. For the RECCE, I'm going to put a 2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP on it in a new ADM Delta-C mount. Eventually I'll put a clip on from Hoover on it and slay coyotes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]

The Tapco lower is up in the air right now, it might end up as a super Gucci tactical hipster gun. For the RECCE, I'm going to put a 2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP on it in a new ADM Delta-C mount. Eventually I'll put a clip on from Hoover on it and slay coyotes.
View All Quotes
Start of my BCM RECCE

UTG too.

Well if you want to let me borrow the tapco I would understand.

I have yet to see one for sale they will be worth more than china dolls some day.  what is a delta-c?  I know what the delta is but not the C.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]

I have yet to see one for sale they will be worth more than china dolls some day.  what is a delta-c?  I know what the delta is but not the C.
View Quote

There had to be at least 176 others, my SN is 177, I haven't seen any for sale either.
Delta-C, it's a cross between a Recon and a Delta. Horizontally split rings, 2" forward cantilever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Nick, what's that rail?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Nick, what's that rail?
View All Quotes
Nick, what's that rail?

Newer kmod vltor vis

There had to be at least 176 others, my SN is 177, I haven't seen any for sale either.
Delta-C, it's a cross between a Recon and a Delta. Horizontally split rings, 2" forward cantilever.
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11243744_1605434516404442_1544088009_n.jpg

Do they come in various moa cants?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Newer kmod vltor vis

View All Quotes
Nick, what's that rail?

Newer kmod vltor vis

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11243744_1605434516404442_1544088009_n.jpg

Probably 20/30 MOA in the future.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MrFrZZ:

Sick....

View All Quotes

Sick....

Thanks man. my wife walked in right after I took that, shook her head and kept walking
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#28]
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/410b540b-0739-4ebe-b566-7164a0c8a91c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/410b540b-0739-4ebe-b566-7164a0c8a91c.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/9e1efdb8-fee2-4e29-b78e-1f76fb13b238.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/9e1efdb8-fee2-4e29-b78e-1f76fb13b238.jpg</a>

recon is an important thing.
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Dark brown is the new black.  For me at least.  I keep debating on spraying mine.  I did a M1A stock in it a like the color.  But I'm afraid to do my AR's for some reason.  But I think it's the best color for here.  In WI.  Well, actually I think good ole woodland covers us pretty well.   So OD is cool with me too.  

What I'm trying to say is nice build so far my state brethren!
View Quote

Yes it is! I had a hard time painting my guns for the longest time but once you do it its all over.... My first venture was a terrible krylon job that made me question painting... Then I went duracoat FDE, no camo. That was nice but now that I went environment inspired camo its game over

First shitty Krylon paint job:
" />
" />

Duracoat FDE-not bad:
" />

And now:
" />
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evile] [#30]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:

Thanks man. my wife walked in right after I took that, shook her head and kept walking
View All Quotes

Sick....

That awkward moment when your wife catches you taking pictures of your rifles.   (I think I have more pictures of my guns than my wife)
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is mine, not done, but getting there.

Larue stealth barrel from the sale, KAC RAS long, Rainier arms ultra match billet upper, LMT lower, and BE Meyers flash hider for now...Minnesota is can friendly now, so guess I will have to get a can lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tdoggy1:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/mrmatthewjon/20150721_170541_zpsnbgh8dgy.jpg

Larue stealth barrel from the sale, KAC RAS long, Rainier arms ultra match billet upper, LMT lower, and BE Meyers flash hider for now...Minnesota is can friendly now, so guess I will have to get a can lol
View Quote

Looks good. We're you going for the Seal Recce look or did it just turn out that way?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By gaston4:

Looks good. We're you going for the Seal Recce look or did it just turn out that way?
View All Quotes
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/mrmatthewjon/20150721_170541_zpsnbgh8dgy.jpg

I was/am going for that look for sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Nice! Definitely a build I want to do sometime. What optic setup are you going to go with?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Nice! Definitely a build I want to do sometime. What optic setup are you going to go with?
View All Quotes

Thanks!  I have to look around, but right now leaning towards a NightForce.  Need a bipod too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Evile:

That awkward moment when your wife catches you taking pictures of your rifles.   (I think I have more pictures of my guns than my wife)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evile:

Sick....

My wife has more guns than i do.... And we do have more pictures of the guns than us.... without question  lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks!  I have to look around, but right now leaning towards a NightForce.  Need a bipod too.
View All Quotes

I have the NF 2-10x32 on my Mk12 and it is an excellent scope. You won't be disappointed if you decide to go that route
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool, I will check into that one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Damn you.... I'm still waiting for my Stealth 16"
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
so a lot of y'all forgo back up sights altogether...or they're just on on the guns in the pics-?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
so a lot of y'all forgo back up sights altogether...or they're just on on the guns in the pics-?
View Quote

I have been thinking of throwing a set on mine. Maybe just go with some Mbus on there... I never had had a use for BUIS on a scoped rifle but I see the purpose.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

It showed up here about 10 days ago, surprised me that is showed up so fast.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
View Quote

I did have a Qd mount for my scope but I got rid of it for a lighter Aero Precision mount.  Now I really don't need them  my scope has the reticle etched into the glass.   I actually plan on selling my pa scope and getting a strike eagle when  it comes out
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Petes1552:

View All Quotes
http:// <a href=http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/Davey_Sickboy/IMG_20150720_141321-01_zpsahdmaiyp.jpeg</a>" />

I went with a BA for now till I get ahold of a Lilja, which is the correct barrel for this build. But, they no longer offer them contoured for the Ops brake and collar, so I will have to send it to Adco. I have to admit, this barrel is a fuckin tac driver!! With some 75gr that I rolled for her, she was grouping better than the Douglas on my Mod1. And if you are cloning a SEAL Recce rifle, then yes. We will have the same guns
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#45]

I went with a BA for now till I get ahold of a Lilja, which is the correct barrel for this build. But, they no longer offer them contoured for the Ops brake and collar, so I will have to send it to Adco. I have to admit, this barrel is a fuckin tac driver!! With some 75gr that I rolled for her, she was grouping better than the Douglas on my Mod1. And if you are cloning a SEAL Recce rifle, then yes. We will have the same guns
View All Quotes

Heads up brother, the Lilja doesn't have enough meat up front to do the Ops contour. I believe the Lilja M4 barrel is .725 in front of the gas block, and technically the contour calls for .749 where the step is, down to .725. Might want to email both Lilja and ADCO to verify if there is an option. Might have to get ADCO to cut the .700x.700 M4 step and use AE's M4 to AEM5 adapter.

AEM5/12TH profile

Lilja barrel

AE M4 *might* work. Ron maybe could rig you a custom .725 to .700 step adapter
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#46]
" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Looks like we've got similar builds in progress.

My Recce build with LaRue barrel and upper. Went with the Leupold TS30A2. It's going to have the Lilja barrel later this year.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

My Recce build with LaRue barrel and upper. Went with the Leupold TS30A2. It's going to have the Lilja barrel later this year.

<a href="http://s578.photobucket.com/user/DeltaBF2s/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_152.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/DeltaBF2s/Mobile%20Uploads/image_152.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s578.photobucket.com/user/DeltaBF2s/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_152.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/DeltaBF2s/Mobile%20Uploads/image_152.jpg</a>

Lookin good so far, man chowder maiden.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

That's nice. What kind of paint did you use on the can? Krylon just came right off of mine...
Page / 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top