Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 23
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I am leaning towards the Vortex spitfire 3x HD after comparing my PA micro 3X magnifier to the Vortex 3X micro magnifier. The larger eye piece of the Vortex seems to make a bigger image to look through. Much like the LPVOs that have the body of the scope disappear when looking through them. It is also easier to adjust the diopter on the Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Really looking forward to this one - the 1x is very nice.  

What is the mount pattern?  Is this a Mini acog footprint?  Looking for a QD mount.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Really looking forward to this one - the 1x is very nice.  

What is the mount pattern?  Is this a Mini acog footprint?  Looking for a QD mount.
View Quote

It is the mini - Acog pattern.

I went with this:

https://www.admmfg.com/ad-b5-base

Those mounts work great on the micro 1x as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everybodygotone] [#4]
Originally Posted By G3k:
Is the reticle too tiny? The GLX2 has a decent size reticle, other acss scopes I’ve seen not so much.
View Quote

It does look small in the YT review I watched. How many MOA is the horseshoe?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ut755ln] [#5]
NM already answered.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I might wait for the 5X considering. I had no issue with reticle size on the old 5X, but this was me trying to use the BDC in the 3X.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my shipping notice, should be here Saturday
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By woolgar:
View Quote

Was yours a recent pre-order? I thought they weren't supposed to go out till April?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Oh boy!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

Was yours a recent pre-order? I thought they weren't supposed to go out till April?
View Quote

I pre-ordered the first night 2/22/22. I dunno if they got a small run fast or what, but Ive checked the order three times. lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]

I pre-ordered the first night 2/22/22. I dunno if they got a small run fast or what, but Ive checked the order three times. lol
View Quote

Nice. I've made a bunch orders from PA and their notifications and shipping are always on point so I'd assume it's on the way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#12]
If someone can do a comparison of a SLX 3x with a GLX 2x, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Specifically about the FOV, eye box, eye relief, glass quality, and reticle size.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

You must have gotten the only one on the shelf, curious did it arrive?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure did. Hoping to make it to the range this week. Im so impressed I pre-ordered a second one w/ 7.62 reticle
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Sure did. Hoping to make it to the range this week. Im so impressed I pre-ordered a second one w/ 7.62 reticle
View Quote

So the reticle size is good to go? That seems to be the biggest complaint with the vortex and burris micros.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#16]

So the reticle size is good to go? That seems to be the biggest complaint with the vortex and burris micros.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This, the $299 + tax question!

@woolgar

As the first recipient, it is your duty to post some kind of a review...

Spill the beans my man.

Bonus points for pics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah those distance dots on the 2x are damn near impossible to see on a darker target and they are not illuminated with the center reticle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GimpsUnlimited:
If someone can do a comparison of a SLX 3x with a GLX 2x, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Specifically about the FOV, eye box, eye relief, glass quality, and reticle size.
View Quote

When I get the new 3x, I'm gonna compare between it and 2 new Vortex spitfire's in 3x and 5x.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ll compare it to my ta33
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I will give some thoughts on the SLx 3x vs the GLx 2x and the SLx 1 x + 3x magnifier.

Should be interesting to see how they compare to one another.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

This, the $299 + tax question!

@woolgar

As the first recipient, it is your duty to post some kind of a review...

Spill the beans my man.

Bonus points for pics.
View Quote

I think so. Compared to the Micro 1x the reticle seems almost twice the size. It's easy to see the BDC dots, tho they still aren't illuminated, just the chevron and horseshoe. But the fact that I can see them means theyre actually usable vs the ranging ladder on the 1x. I dont have a vortex or burris to compare to, only the micro 1x, but like I said I was impressed enough to immediately pre-order the 7.62 version as well. I really think at this price point its a great compromise of clarity and weight savings to $$ ratio. To me the weight is the biggest factor and why I ordered these to begin with. I was kinda disappointed in how small the reticle is on the 1x, but that will just get delegated to a 10/22 now. Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend and follow up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]

I think so. Compared to the Micro 1x the reticle seems almost twice the size. It's easy to see the BDC dots, tho they still aren't illuminated, just the chevron and horseshoe. But the fact that I can see them means theyre actually usable vs the ranging ladder on the 1x. I dont have a vortex or burris to compare to, only the micro 1x, but like I said I was impressed enough to immediately pre-order the 7.62 version as well. I really think at this price point its a great compromise of clarity and weight savings to $$ ratio. To me the weight is the biggest factor and why I ordered these to begin with. I was kinda disappointed in how small the reticle is on the 1x, but that will just get delegated to a 10/22 now. Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend and follow up.
View Quote

The reticle being larger than the SLx 1x is going to be money, thank you for the feedback! I'm considering preordering a second one already.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
View Quote

Very interested to hear your thoughts.  I wish I would have never sold my TA33.  If this can come close at the price it's at, i'll buy 2.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
View Quote

Please do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]
These are shipping early.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Thanks for that. I was expecting it to be smaller based off other accounts. Guess I might as well get the wallet out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#27]
We need pictures so I can drool over it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah some pics would be nice, but curious how is the eye relief on it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
Yeah some pics would be nice, but curious how is the eye relief on it?
View Quote

Need eye relief, and if it’s possible to use it passively with nod’s.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

Need eye relief, and if it's possible to use it passively with nod's.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Currahee:

This
View Quote

Got shipping notification. Should be here by the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

Need eye relief, and if it’s possible to use it passively with nod’s.
View Quote

No Nods, Im poors. Eye relief is like stated in specs 2 and 1/2 to 3" exact specs are 2.7".  I have yet to mount to my AR as im working crazy hours. No pics yet either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 549] [#33]

Got shipping notification. Should be here by the weekend.
View Quote

Definitely want to hear your impression. What to you have to compare it too?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got mine screwed on. The size and weight is awesome. Very similar to 1x. The eye relief is tighter vs the almost unlimited eye relief of the 1x. It's not bad at all, but the 1x almost fools you into thinking it is a red dot sometimes, so you do notice the difference. The reticle is large enough for me, and the glass is more than clear enough for the job.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Paper stats:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 549:

Definitely want to here your impression. What to you have to compare it too?
View Quote

All the things
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]

All the things
View Quote

Cool.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Why is the new 3x less expensive than the 2x? I would've expected the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Cool.
View Quote

Realistically my ta31 led I think will be the only apples to apples comparison and what I'm hoping this will replace. My buddy has a 33 but that's such a different optic in function I don't know how good of a comparison can be made.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Why is the new 3x less expensive than the 2x? I would've expected the opposite.
View Quote
SilverLX vs GoldLX.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
SilverLX vs GoldLX.
View Quote

Ah. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Realistically my ta31 led I think will be the only apples to apples comparison and what I'm hoping this will replace. My buddy has a 33 but that's such a different optic in function I don't know how good of a comparison can be made.
View Quote

I don't understand regarding the TA-33. I would think that would be apples-apples.

Do you have the GLX 2X?

Appreciate whatever comparison you have time to do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I don't understand regarding the TA-33. I would think that would be apples-apples.

Do you have the GLX 2X?

Appreciate whatever comparison you have time to do.
View Quote

The 33 sits further forward and has long eye relief and a very good eyebox but a narrow fov. At least for me it was very good for quick both eyes open shooting. The 31 is better for scanning and more methodical shooting and has a nice wide fov. Going off the burris I looked at and where people are mounting their PAs I'm guessing it will fall more in the 31 category. I haven't tried any of the earlier PA offerings. I'm actually a big fan of the acogs but my eyes have trouble focusing the reticle when I'm staring at a screen an inch away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Received my 3x micro prism just a bit ago.  Initial impression mirrors my feelings about the 1x I already have.  It's illumination is not quite as bright as the 1x, and the eyebox and relief are less forgiving but that was expected and neither seem to be even close to what I would consider poor.

I'll look through it tonight side by side with the gen 2 Vortex Spitfire 3x and the SLX 1x microprism.

The reticle size is *perfect* in this one compared to the previous smaller generation.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Received my 3x micro prism just a bit ago.  Initial impression mirrors my feelings about the 1x I already have.  It's illumination is not quite as bright as the 1x, and the eyebox and relief are less forgiving but that was expected and neither seem to be even close to what I would consider poor.

I'll look through it tonight side by side with the gen 2 Vortex Spitfire 3x and the SLX 1x microprism.

The reticle size is *perfect* in this one compared to the previous smaller generation.
View Quote
Do you have NODs?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

This.

Is there any reason to own the GLX2X over the 3X micro?

Also curious, do front sights ghost in the 3X micro? (They don't in the 2X)

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
Do you have NODs?
View Quote
Yes I have a gen 3 monocular what would you like me to do?

Here it is compared to the Vortex Spitfire II 3x.

You can see the ocular is smaller on the PA which I thought might translate to a less forgiving eyebox, but I cannot really tell that one or the other is better in that regard.  And the smaller ocular means it nests with my rear sight nicely.  The Vortex wouldn't, I would have to remove the sight or it would sit too far forward.

The illumination on my 1x PA microprism is nuclear daytime bright comparable with my Gen II Razor 1-6 or the Gen III 1-10x.

The 3x illumination is for whatever reason not quite the same level, but still daytime bright, and significantly brighter than the Spitefire.  It's bright enough for me in a fixed power scope considering I typically shade the fiber optic on an ACOG.

I'll refrain from saying anything definitive regarding comparing the PA glass to the Spitfire because I wasn't able to get them side by side before dark. I will say the 3x PA is just as good as the 1x in clarity and image.  And inside my house I can't see anything between the PA and Spitfire that would have me lean towards one or the other in that regard.

The new reticle is larger than the Spitfire reticle which makes the drop indicators far more useful.  The Spitfire is larger than the PA gen 1 reticle and completely usable.

When it's all said and done the fact that the PA comes with a mount that can be configured in just about any way necessary, the brighter illumination and uses a dial vs buttons, for $100 less than the Vortex- man it's a no brainer the PA wins that contest.

Oh, the ocular adjustment ring is also larger and much easier to manipulate than the 1x.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Also I want to say THANK YOU to PA for killing whomever it is that designs mounts produced over seas that has insisted on using the tiniest possible screws they can find on the picatinny mount, and giving us what I'm guessing are T20 or 25 torx with nice beefy but unobtrusive heads.

I'm so tired of being stuck with dinky T10 screws or half inch lug nuts and nothing in between.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Everybodygotone:

This.

Is there any reason to own the GLX2X over the 3X micro?

Also curious, do front sights ghost in the 3X micro? (They don't in the 2X)

Thanks
View Quote
My SIG front sight ghosts out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Also I want to say THANK YOU to PA for killing whomever it is that designs mounts produced over seas that has insisted on using the tiniest possible screws they can find on the picatinny mount, and giving us what I'm guessing are T20 or 25 torx with nice beefy but unobtrusive heads.

I'm so tired of being stuck with dinky T10 screws or half inch lug nuts and nothing in between.
View Quote

Mundane question, Vortex is a 3 rail slot mount and PA is 4 slot?
Page / 23
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top