Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1146 of 1568)
Page / 1568
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By krdt:
Nah... a FA safety is no more likely to end up in a position you don't intend than a semi-auto safety is to end up going from safe to fire. Both are held in place by nothing more than the detent; the only difference is, the FA safety can move to another position and potentially past that if you force it out of the detent hold. Functionally, you'd never notice the difference unless you intentionally move it to the third position or beyond.

The only mod that's (debatably) required is a small metal "fin" that needs to be milled or ground off (designed to push down the SA disconnector so that the auto sear can engage). You can do it in a few minutes with a Dremel. Technically, if your gun isn't FA, it isn't FA - whether you use a FA safety or not. But, in the unlikely event you ever had an FCG malfunction, it'd be better to show you took affirmative steps to render the FA safety not suitable for use in a select-fire.

I've got one and it definitely goes 360... no hard stops. After all, it was designed for use in lowers with selector stops, so it does make sense.

I mean, you could put a couple of tack welds and stop it, but I don't see much point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Seems like a lot of work. I appreciate the explanation. They would go in colt m4 carbine lowers, and those have the selector stops milled off. a safety that is able to spin 360 wouldn't feel right to me, and may be a safety (no pun intended) issue since the mk18 doubles as a HD rifle.
Nah... a FA safety is no more likely to end up in a position you don't intend than a semi-auto safety is to end up going from safe to fire. Both are held in place by nothing more than the detent; the only difference is, the FA safety can move to another position and potentially past that if you force it out of the detent hold. Functionally, you'd never notice the difference unless you intentionally move it to the third position or beyond.

The only mod that's (debatably) required is a small metal "fin" that needs to be milled or ground off (designed to push down the SA disconnector so that the auto sear can engage). You can do it in a few minutes with a Dremel. Technically, if your gun isn't FA, it isn't FA - whether you use a FA safety or not. But, in the unlikely event you ever had an FCG malfunction, it'd be better to show you took affirmative steps to render the FA safety not suitable for use in a select-fire.

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

The length/positioning of the lever differs on a semi-auto safety from that of a full auto safety.

Hotdog:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.Colt.M4-03-Close.jpg

Non-hotdog:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.120618.No.Hotdog.jpg
Got it thanks man. Do they still make the non hot dog safeties? Now that I look at them all of mine are hot dogs.
You can purchase and modify a Colt FA safety, or look for older retro non-ambi Colt safeties. Also, some companies still make SA non-hotdog safeties... probably DPMS or similar? I don't recall.

If you want a Colt, it's basically FA or retro non-ambi. As mentioned, if using the FA version, it'd probably be a good idea to shave the "fin" to make it a true "semi/semi" safety. Not that an unmodified FA safety is going to turn a semi to a full auto, but just for the sake of not using any FA fire control parts.

ETA: I guess I should add that if you use a FA safety, you'll also be able to rotate to the 3rd position (safe/semi/semi). Kinda nifty, I suppose. Actually, if you're using a lower without selector stops, you'll be able to rotate a full 360 degrees, lol.
Not 100% sure on that. I've got a FA Colt safety in a lower around here somewhere and I'm sure the detent track has hard stops to prevent that. But it's been so long since I've had that particular one out, I could be misremembering.
I've got one and it definitely goes 360... no hard stops. After all, it was designed for use in lowers with selector stops, so it does make sense.

I mean, you could put a couple of tack welds and stop it, but I don't see much point.
Like I said, it's been so long since I've had it out of the lower that I'm not 100% positive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Like I said, it's been so long since I've had it out of the lower that I'm not 100% positive.
View Quote
I played with a full auto ambi safety yesterday in a 6920 lower and it for sure went 360. There are three detents (safe, semi, auto) and they engaged at the correct spot each time but it still allowed it to rotate 360 due to no selector stops on the receiver.

Random note for inquiring minds. It made the rifle "Safe, Semi, Semi" and not "Safe, Semi, Safe" like I've read elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ATravis11b:

I played with a full auto ambi safety yesterday in a 6920 lower and it for sure went 360. There are three detents (safe, semi, auto) and they engaged at the correct spot each time but it still allowed it to rotate 360 due to no selector stops on the receiver.

Random note for inquiring minds. It made the rifle "Safe, Semi, Semi" and not "Safe, Semi, Safe" like I've read elsewhere.
View Quote
Should be Safe, semi, safe. The fin on the selector should hit the back of the trigger and make it safe. Do you have a open back Full Auto trigger in your gun?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Teamafx:

Should be Safe, semi, safe. The fin on the selector should hit the back of the trigger and make it safe. Do you have a open back Full Auto trigger in your gun?
View Quote
@Teamafx  There was a geissele SSA in the gun. Also, to be clear it was not my gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes I like to back to a random page of a different year in this thread and read a few pages. It's funny to see milspec hasn't changed one bit throughout the years lmao!
Also, @MILSPEC556 soon enough you will be able to throw this back at secretsquirrel lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
So it allows you to go full semi-auto.  Good to know.

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MeekDarlingCassowary-size_restricted.gif
View Quote
I wonder how much they paid that guy to look like a complete fucking homo shooting that. I have female cousins that live in the city and never owned firearms who can shoot less homo then that. Lmao
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]

@Teamafx  There was a geissele SSA in the gun. Also, to be clear it was not my gun.
View Quote
The SSA trigger is open at the back like on an M16. On a Semi auto milspec trigger that would not happen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Why would any gun range even allow CNN to film anything in there?!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56cbr600rr] [#10]
Changed me some optics around last night.  Moved the EXPS to the 416.  Got them pretty dialed in today.  The CQBR is heavy but damn does it shoot well with the 1-6.

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#11]
Shwoop
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys. How acceptable  is a Surefire m600c scout on an mk18? Were they ever deployed and used? Mine currently has a black m3x long gun but also has a few other “non standard parts” such as CTR stock and hogue grip. It’s also a black f**k FDE theme. Oh and please don’t flame me for the fake PEQ because I can’t justify the cost of a real one for something I will never really use. Lol

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 84wh1:
Hey guys. How acceptable  is a Surefire m600c scout on an mk18? Were they ever deployed and used? Mine currently has a black m3x long gun but also has a few other “non standard parts” such as CTR stock and hogue grip. It’s also a black f**k FDE theme. Oh and please don’t flame me for the fake PEQ because I can’t justify the cost of a real one for something I will never really use. Lol

https://i.imgur.com/XmJtWC0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XaTIkAB.jpg
View Quote
M600 is fine... they're pretty common.

Personally, I'd ditch the fake PEQ. I think it's better to have nothing at all rather than a fake that serves no purpose. For that matter, I wouldn't run a real one either unless I had NV; I'm not big on adding weight for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]

M600 is fine... they're pretty common.

Personally, I'd ditch the fake PEQ. I think it's better to have nothing at all rather than a fake that serves no purpose. For that matter, I wouldn't run a real one either unless I had NV; I'm not big on adding weight for no reason.
View Quote
I agree about the peq. Its on the rifle for pics only. I never shoot live fire with it as it’s totally useless. Lol

As for the m600, thanks dude. I will prob swap lights now.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#15]

https://i.imgur.com/XmJtWC0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XaTIkAB.jpg
View Quote
Definitely m600 over m3x.
Me personally I would get a black tango stubby, a sopmod stock and magpul grip.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Teamafx:

My SSA does the same. Milspec trigger in the Mk18 is just safe/fire/safe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

God that makes my head hurt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Definitely m600 over m3x.
Me personally I would get a black tango stubby, a sopmod stock and magpul grip.
View Quote
My other mk18 has a coyote brown sopmod, bcm grip and fde tango stubby. I’ve got a black tango stubby in the hoard but wanted this black mk18 to be a little different from my other.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]

My other mk18 has a coyote brown sopmod, bcm grip and fde tango stubby. I’ve got a black tango stubby in the hoard but wanted this black mk18 to be a little different from my other.....
View Quote
It is different. It’s black!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I read somewhere (that is escaping me now) about a Daniel Defense Mk18 upper with a midlength has system?  I’d never heard of a 10.3” with a mid length gas system before.

Can anyone confirm this exists?  They aren’t switching to this are they?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

AKA wrong.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Hehe that is true. Saying that I’m totally a vertical grip guy. I just wanted to differentiate this rifle from the other so it’s “different” and I can justify keeping it and not selling it. Lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#23]

Hehe that is true. Saying that I’m totally a vertical grip guy. I just wanted to differentiate this rifle from the other so it’s “different” and I can justify keeping it and not selling it. Lol
View Quote
If 90% of the rife is incorrect. Then why even ask if the m600 is acceptable lol. If you want “different”
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]

AKA wrong.
View All Quotes

AKA wrong.
Lol. Purists in this thread are not going to be happy with what's going on here.

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Would you fellas like to see my pecker? Its pretty small.

https://i.imgur.com/qgFmUTn.jpg
oooooo whatcha got there friend?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol. Purists in this thread are not going to be happy with what's going on here.

View All Quotes

AKA wrong.

I'm far from a purist and don't get wrapped around the axle, I just like giving people a hard time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
So, xps3-0, or 511? Or sneak into milspecs place and "borrow" his 553?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
XPS. Save the 511 for an MRE build.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Well here is the progress i made today. Not quite there, but I'm moving forward
I'm not a camera nerd so, deal with the poor quality. Thank you to the sellers of these beautiful parts for helping me out!!!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
I read somewhere (that is escaping me now) about a Daniel Defense Mk18 upper with a midlength has system?  I'd never heard of a 10.3" with a mid length gas system before.

Can anyone confirm this exists?  They aren't switching to this are they?
View Quote
I think someone either mistyped or you were reading about the dd m4. Their version of the m4 used a Midlength system. I don't believe you could even fit a Midlength system on a 10.3" barrel. The gasblock would be where the muzzle is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Love that magnifier/larue set up there!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm thinking the xps3 for the block 2.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
I'm not a camera nerd so, deal with the poor quality. Thank you to the sellers of these beautiful parts for helping me out!!!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203616_resized_jpg-802366.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203649_resized_jpg-802370.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_181846_resized_jpg-802371.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203742_resized_jpg-802372.JPG
View Quote
Lookin' good. Now you need a taupe broom handle on the Block II and then everything would match. The FDE anodizing on your GB even matches pretty nicely. Mine is way lighter and more "gold".

Speaking of GBs, the new black one I ordered has been in fucking transit for 6 days now. Thanks USPS :\.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Lookin' good. Now you need a taupe broom handle on the Block II and then everything would match. The FDE anodizing on your GB even matches pretty nicely. Mine is way lighter and more "gold".

Speaking of GBs, the new black one I ordered has been in fucking transit for 6 days now. Thanks USPS :\.
View Quote
Thank you :)
If only they(taupe broom handle) werent so hard to find!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Just saw one on the EE yesterday I think. Dunno if it's still available.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

AKA wrong.

Unfortunately its getting returned in the AM. Turns out only the IR illum works. Back to sucking dick for another IR laser!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
I think someone either mistyped or you were reading about the dd m4. Their version of the m4 used a Midlength system. I don't believe you could even fit a Midlength system on a 10.3" barrel. The gasblock would be where the muzzle is.
View Quote
Okay, that’s what I was thinking...I thought I was going crazy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
@wissota4 Heads up- check AR Accessories and Misc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203616_resized_jpg-802366.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203649_resized_jpg-802370.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_181846_resized_jpg-802371.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190109_203742_resized_jpg-802372.JPG
View Quote
Don't forget to thank me too arsehead! If it wasn't for me your barrel nut would be hand tight, and you wouldn't now have 2 fuckin front sights cause I loaned you one and you bought one the day after I shipped it to you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

@wissota4 Heads up- check AR Accessories and Misc.
View Quote
Sent him a msg about splitting up the package, cause i only want the grip.
He read it and didnt reply. If anyone wants the panels ill throw and ill take it in there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Don't forget to thank me too arsehead! If it wasn't for me your barrel nut would be hand tight, and you wouldn't now have 2 fuckin front sights cause I loaned you one and you bought one the day after I shipped it to you.
View Quote
LOL!
SPECIAL THANKS to my mexican friend for the barrel nut wrench that i ruined today and the front sight i ended up not using
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL!
SPECIAL THANKS to my mexican friend for the barrel nut wrench that i ruined today and the front sight i ended up not using
View All Quotes

LOL!
LOL. If you managed to ruin my 1/4" heat treated DD wrench by tightening the barrel nut I would be more impressed than mad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#42]

LOL. If you managed to ruin my 1/4" heat treated DD wrench by tightening the barrel nut I would be more impressed than mad.
View Quote
Lol. The nut would take a shit way before that wrench would
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

Yes sir. She's pretty stout. Avoid that standard sheet metal DD wrench like the plague
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes sir. She's pretty stout. Avoid that standard sheet metal DD wrench like the plague
View Quote
I'm going to make one from HSS next
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Is that the one you can buy from DD or did you have something fabbed up?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Someone on here made a bunch a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Pretty sure it was Stoner who made them. <3

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:17:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#48]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

This @ DBM.

Stoner made some a few years back. As well as the 4 prong on squirells gun. Lol
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I checked my PM's and Stoner25mkiv made mine, but he hasn't posted here since Dec. 2017.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
Pretty sure it was Stoner who made them. <3

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5654/23453941439_6985a853d1_c.jpg
View Quote
Wow. That pic really shows the difference
Page / 1568
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1146 of 1568)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top