Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Criterion barrels seem to run fast when compared to other barrels of equal length. I have seen a lot of velocities posted on here and they all are considerably faster than other barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

Thought maybe you were referring to more than velocity alone.
View Quote

Velocity is pretty important.

With it comes terminal performance, drop/drift, and transonic distance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Criterion barrels seem to run fast when compared to other barrels of equal length. I have seen a lot of velocities posted on here and they all are considerably faster than other barrels.
View Quote

I have 4 14.5 rifles. One has a JP barrel, one has a Criterion Core, one has a Mega, and another one has a Ballistic  Advantage. The Criterion Core is about 70 to 100 FPS faster than the other 14.5s with 77 OTMs. No idea why. The 14.5 Core is faster than my 16.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Things that make a barrel slower ...

More freebore
Longer leade
Looser bore dimensions
Faster twist rate
Bigger gas port diameter
Lower friction bore
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are getting different velocities from identical length barrels, shooting the same load, the chief culprit is drag.  Slightly larger groove diameter = less drag.  Taller lands = more drag.  Faster twist = more drag.  Fewer lands = less drag, potentially.  Bore coatings can increase or decrease drag.  Most likely it is a combination of all of it to one degree or another.  Slugging the barrels can provide a lot of information regarding groove and bore.

Link Posted: 10/11/2024 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Things that make a barrel slower ...

More freebore
Longer leade
Looser bore dimensions
Faster twist rate
Bigger gas port diameter
Lower friction bore
View Quote

How does lower friction make a bore slower, exactly?
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 12:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#7]
Been floating around in what to do limbo for a while. Tonight I came up with a plan. I'm going to duplicate my go to gun's 11.5 with a 12.5 and swap the 11.5 to the truck gun. I'll skip the titanium barrel nut that the 11.5 has in hopes of shifting a little weight back. It seems like a solid plan
Edit: so a criterion core 12.5
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

What other differences were you expecting to see “at distance?”

It has less drop and wind drift.  Shooting beyond about 400y, the differences become readily apparent when behind the gun.
View Quote

Reread your post, Disregard, reading is fundamental
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top