Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:21:58 PM EDT
Doing some function checking on new mags, I figured on taking the firing pin out to eliminate the possibility of a discharge.

Got maybe 100 rounds through it, no problem, but now the bolt will not retract.

Thinking about it, can the bolt cam pin rotate and jam somehow without the firing pin to hold it 'straight'?

Anyway, I'm stuck - has this happend to anyone else, and what was the outcome?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You're FOOKED! Seriously, you NEVER, EVER, EVER do what you did. Take it to a smith or you can try to run a thin piece of hard metal into the back of the carrier thru the FP hole to the cam and try [TRY] to get it to rotate. IF you can get it to rotate then you can run it further and try to hook the bolt and get it to turn. Or, if you are new to an AR take it to a smith.

Link Posted: 5/31/2007 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Has the cam pin visibly rotated?  Try tapping it back into place.

Misread post.

Either attack it from the bottom with a punch, or through the barrel with a rod.  I'd do it from the bottom, trying to "rock" it out.  Of course, I'm not real gentle on modern weapons.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I cannot tell a lie. I did this once. I had replaced my extractor springs and O-Ring and wanted to verify extraction.

Once.

Only in my case the cam roatated so the bolt would not close ... I realized what had happened and didn't do that again.

L:ve and learn.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Drop mag and remove upper. You may need to remove the buffer tube to remove upper. Then it's a brass punch and a hammer Have fun, I did.
ATB
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]

I've tried using the firing pin to rotate the bolt cam, no dice as of yet.  Will work up a longer tool out of some drill rod and see what happens.  I need to be somewhat careful, there's a live round in there with soft Federal primer.

In spite of what just happened, I'm reasonably mechanically capable.  Would taking the barrel assembly off help anything?  I'm thinking not, but asking can't hurt.

Regarding the comment "take it to a smith", there aren't any good ones nearby.  What would a gunsmith do?  I may be able to replicate.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Link Posted: 5/31/2007 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
A coat hanger may get in there and rotate the cam pin. Through the firing pin hole, and add some oil in the hole to ease things along a little. If that dosen't work, barrel removal may do it, BUT BE CAREFUL OF THE LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Happy ending!

The coat hanger did not get a purchase on anything - but it did mark the cam pin, and I could see the marks with my surefire.

Pulling the carrier out (1/8") and slapping it back a few times made the marks move - this gave me an idea.  IN-OUT five times, review with surefire, try again.  Eventually the hole lined up well enough for the firing pin to slip in.

One very firm yank later, the whole thing popped out, apparently none the worse for wear.

Lesson learned!

Thanks for your help and encouragement.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a spare firing pin and grind the tip off for the next time you do function checks like this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn - thank goodness for this thread, now I know never to do that myself
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I'd be more worried about it mis-firing with the pin in. hock.gif

I've never had an AR fire when the bolt slams forward.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think I'd be more worried about it mis-firing with the pin in.

Me either
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Doing some function checking on new mags, I figured on taking the firing pin out to eliminate the possibility of a discharge.

Got maybe 100 rounds through it, no problem, but now the bolt will not retract.

Thinking about it, can the bolt cam pin rotate and jam somehow without the firing pin to hold it 'straight'?

Anyway, I'm stuck - has this happend to anyone else, and what was the outcome?

Thanks.

Nest time do yourself a favour and use these: Action Proving Dummies

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/367025512.jpg

If you reload you can make your own. Silicon in the primer hole to soften firing pin strike. Remember to drill through the case to mark your dummies.

or google ".223 dummy round"
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Buy a spare firing pin and grind the tip off for the next time you do function checks like this. hat
height=8

With a regular carrier-buffer and milsurp ammo, I agree.  This particular gun uses a low-mass/high-speed carrier-buffer and Federal primers (which are soft - great for bolts, not so much for a semi with an uncaptured firing pin).  I've had doubles before.  A slamfire in my basement can't be a good thing.  Will switch to Winchestor when the Federal runs out.  I still won't function check with live ammo - the sear could let loose, firing pin stick on some grime I didn't get out, etc - not worth the risk.

height=8

Having gotten the thing apart, and back together (firing pin in this time!) I made my own dummies up for final testing.  Using 'generic' dummies isn't enough - the mags feed fine with FMJ and are being fussy with OTM.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top