Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/26/2012 1:29:26 PM EDT
I dont understand why people go crazy over the green tip stuff. It seems like it is a poor candidate for SD, on par with m193 for accuracy, and more expensive than M193.

am i wrong on my assessment?
what is the draw to it by the masses? sure i have some, but i dont think highly of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I dont understand why people go crazy over the green tip stuff. It seems like it is a poor candidate for SD, on par with m193 for accuracy, and more expensive than M193.
am i wrong on my assessment?

what is the draw to it by the masses? sure i have some, but i dont think highly of it.

where are you finding these people?

I have never heard of anybody going crazy over M855 green tip

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It is what the military uses so that is what people want despite the fact that against an unarmored opponent M193 is superior.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
People were going crazy over it 10+ years ago.  It's not popular now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is what the military uses so that is what people want despite the fact that against an unarmored opponent M193 is superior.

Basically this, from what I can tell.

I've never actually purchased one round of M855...M193 for me please.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
M193 is disappointing. I dont understand why people give it so much credit.

As for M855; I guess you can consider that people are also drawn to it for the fact that similar projectiles in other calibers are considered AP. M855 is specifically exempt from the law.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't feel M193 or M855 are great self defense rounds but with shot placement either will do.

Personally I use a combination for SD with one M855 IMI followed by one Privi 75gr match HPBT the idea being one barrier defeating round followed by a flesh eater.

I practice two round burst with my carbines using this cocktail..

To each his own

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Id rather have barrier blind ammo for SD

I use to buy M193 and SS109 because it was cheap !

The last box I bought of M193 was 2.88  a box

I refuse to pay the high price for M193 or M855

If and when I shoot up all my M193 and M855/SS109 Stash !

Im going to buy just 223rem 55gr FMJ ammo like Black Hills Blue box
I dont care if its 200fsp slower since its range ammo anyway.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't feel M193 or M855 are great self defense rounds but with shot placement either will do.

Personally I use a combination for SD with one M855 IMI followed by one Privi 75gr match HPBT the idea being one barrier defeating round followed by a flesh eater.

To each his own

Wulfmann

I like the way you think Wulfmann

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It shoots 1 moa out of my rifle, its cheap, matches my Acogs BDC perfectly, and hogs dont handle them very well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I read an article in the "Book of the AR15" magazine that was talking about the new solid copper m855. IIRC, they said that it wears out barrels twice as fast. Not sure if the same goes for the standard steel core m855, but I'll just stick with M193. I'm not sure I necessarily believe the claims in the article, but 193 is cheaper, runs flawlessly in my AR, and my sights are zeroed in with it. I can find no reason to run the green tips, and would rather not annihilate my barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I read an article in the "Book of the AR15" magazine that was talking about the new solid copper m855. IIRC, they said that it wears out barrels twice as fast. Not sure if the same goes for the standard steel core m855, but I'll just stick with M193. I'm not sure I necessarily believe the claims in the article, but 193 is cheaper, runs flawlessly in my AR, and my sights are zeroed in with it. I can find no reason to run the green tips, and would rather not annihilate my barrel.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If only it were inexpensive.

The stockpile has a lot of M855/SS109 and push comes to shove it will be my go to ammo to get the job done. I prefer to practice with as close to what I'll be shooting as possible.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Quoted:

No BS There. He is talking about M855A1. You're the one who needs a fact check.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It shoots 1 moa out of my rifle, its cheap, matches my Acogs BDC perfectly, and hogs dont handle them very well.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#15]
i guess its more popular off the internet, seems like all the clowns running around that just bought their first AR proclaim they have the AP green tips!
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I mostly have m855, I bought a couple cases of pmc a couple years ago and just started to get to shooting it.  I wanted cheap plinking ammo that could be used as SHTF/SD ammo if need be.  At the time, PMC m855 was cheaper than any surplus M193.  

For a lot of people I think it's just a price/availability thing.  I bought M193 projectiles for my cheap plinking reloads, way cheaper than SS109.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  Read up on the released documents of the M855A1.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a bushmaster predator shoot a 1" five shot group with M855 once.

Pretty sure I pulled the opposite direction of the bullet wander each time and somehow grouped them all together nicely.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
its quality ammo +1
that comes in stipper clips +1
,its easy to find and relatively cheep (every gun store near me has it for $150 since they match prices.)  +2
its american made +1

No other ammo i can think of has all these qualities.   most ammo that is just a little cheaper is not US made.  thats why i like it at least. if its good enough for our troops its good enough for me shooting paper and steel at the range

EDIT by $150 i mean the 420 rd  lake city ammo cans
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Very little personal experiance with M855 but it doesn't seem very impressive.
I just recently made my first M855 buy, and only to have it to use with an A4 clone.
I need to work up a load that matches the ACOG so I can ditch the M855, or at least not have to buy any more of it.
I don't feel like you get your moneys worth at the price of M855.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I see that M855A1 pressures have been increased, which is what causes the accelerated wear. The way I read the post seemed to be implying that the copper construction led to increased wear, which is what had me .

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

its quality ammo +1

,its easy to find and relatively cheep (every gun store near me has it for $150 since they match prices.)  +2

its american made +1

No other ammo i can think of has all these qualities.   most ammo that is just a little cheaper is not US made.  thats why i like it at least. if its good enough for our troops its good enough for me shooting paper and steel at the range

Lately???  That's a really good price of late.  Even Wal-Mart, where you can find it, went from $149.99 to $159.99, and other places have it at $180+.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
its quality ammo +1
its american made +1

Lately???  That's a really good price of late.  Even Wal-Mart, where you can find it, went from $149.99 to $159.99, and other places have it at $180+.  

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never saw that as a good price.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its quality ammo +1

its american made +1

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never saw that as a good price.

I agree, but I'm speaking relatively.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stockpile has a lot of M855/SS109 and push comes to shove it will be my go to ammo to get the job done. I prefer to practice with as close to what I'll be shooting as possible.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Equipment/Rail004.jpg

Im sorry I dont understand what you are telling me?
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is telling you MK318 is a FAR better choice then M193 or M855, and I agree with him 100000%

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Out to what velocity will MK318 reliably frag?
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Out to what velocity will MK318 reliably frag?

Not 100% on that personally but here is a decent thread on the topic.....

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34562

"...which is designed to rapidly fragment (SOST or MK318), shearing at the first band as I have pictured. Every single bullet I have recovered from every medium I have shot, as well as every picture of every single bullet recovered that I have seen, shears at this point. Looking at the cross-section I took of the bullet, this is easily explained.

The SOST does what it was meant to do: Rapidly fragment WITHOUT having to first yaw, and yet provide good penetration afterward, and against barriers such as glass, car-bodies, and the like.

If it helps, think of a Speer TNT 30gr Varmint bullet stacked on-top of a 30gr solid-copper wad-cutter. That is how the SOST performs, in the simplest of terms."
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I reload M193 for range ammo and 75gr TAP for HD ammo. no way would i choose M855 for anything honestly

not to mention ill be reloading M193 at 2,000 rounds for $400 thats $200 worth of savings for extra stuff
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#32]
M193 and M855 are A+. Period. Why debate it? While there is some better ammo out there, a bunch of the expensive crap is indeed not better, and just comes in a pretty box.

What many armchair engineers here fail to acknowledge is these cartridges are solutions to a very wide range of problems and situations. You can pick any one of them and design a test around it to make that particular cartridge look better than the others, M855 included. Aka, a soviet helmet at 500m...

Now, the US government and NATO spent some mad money developing the best compromise load(s) in this case and first came up with M193 and then later M855. I'm pretty sure they did a better job of selection than any single one of us on arfcom, regardless of skill level or knowledge. You have to realize, the original .223 cartridge in FMJ was impressive enough to DROP using the 7.62x51. I mean that says volumes about it... and it's not bad.

I also give a big +1 to training with and having a shtf stash of what you use... and either of these loads fits that bill of sale better than anything else out there. If you want a mag or two of TAP for home defense that's fine, but your shtf stash should be a standard round. It's cheap, and let us say the world does go to hell... what kind of ammo will you be able to scavenge in the world? M193 is in every home or store that sells ARs... TAP... well not so much. And that goes back to:  I also give a big +1 to training with and having a shtf stash of what you use...
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
M193 and M855 are A+. Period. Why debate it? While there is some better ammo out there, a bunch of the expensive crap is indeed not better, and just comes in a pretty box.

What many armchair engineers here fail to acknowledge is these cartridges are solutions to a very wide range of problems and situations. You can pick any one of them and design a test around it to make that particular cartridge look better than the others, M855 included. Aka, a soviet helmet at 500m...

Now, the US government and NATO spent some mad money developing the best compromise load(s) in this case and first came up with M193 and then later M855. I'm pretty sure they did a better job of selection than any single one of us on arfcom, regardless of skill level or knowledge. You have to realize, the original .223 cartridge in FMJ was impressive enough to DROP using the 7.62x51. I mean that says volumes about it... and it's not bad.

I also give a big +1 to training with and having a shtf stash of what you use... and either of these loads fits that bill of sale better than anything else out there. If you want a mag or two of TAP for home defense that's fine, but your shtf stash should be a standard round. It's cheap, and let us say the world does go to hell... what kind of ammo will you be able to scavenge in the world? M193 is in every home or store that sells ARs... TAP... well not so much. And that goes back to:  I also give a big +1 to training with and having a shtf stash of what you use...

The new MK318 is an impressive round and I would not hesitate to use or recommend for SD/HD use. Problem is it is not cheap as I noted earlier. My personal stores include a hefty amount of M855. It's an excellent round and works well with my selection of "Go-To's."
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

To each his own

Wulfmann
You sure do give that bullet a lot of credit.

Is there a better SD round? Probably or absolutely.

Is there a better SD round where I can buy 2,000 of them for $950.00 delivered???
Not that I know of.

Please share your opinion on a better round at that price.

I also bought that based on the test results posted here that stated this was a very good SD round.
Was Molon mistaken?

Wulfmann

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is telling you MK318 is a FAR better choice then M193 or M855, and I agree with him 100000%

I never said it wasnt. And besides everyone here should know by now what I would use for SD/HD/SHTF
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I also bought that based on the test results posted here that stated this was a very good SD round.
Was Molon mistaken?[/span]

[span style='font-size: 12pt;'][span style='font-weight: bold;']Wulfmann[/span][/span]

75grPP
It would depend on what kind of performance you wanted.

I wouldnt choose 75gr OTM or M855 for common barriers.

If you arent worried about any barriers the 75gr OTM are fine
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he is telling you is that he likes reverse-engineered Mk318ish ammo made with reclaimed pulled-down components.

Still better than M193 or m855
I just didnt get why he is telling me this?
Since I use barrier blind loads myself. and never said M193 or M855 was better.

I just said I was going to buy 223rem for practice for now on

maybe he thought I used it for SD? Or Better yet he AGREES
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I have not witnessed any obsession.   But is popular because it's American made, fires reliably, readily available, and cheap  vs MK262 or 318
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
its quality ammo +1
its american made +1

Plus it goes through 1/4 inch thick steel. How fun is that.

here is the vid for proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gHCNMSbqQ&feature=relmfu
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I have M855 and M193 both fire ever time both hit the target and I am sure both would cause a world of hurt to anyone on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I know what it can and can't do. I have 70gr TSX, Mk262, and 75gr TAP for real SD applications, and I have M193 for training, but there is something comforting, nostalgic, or cool about those 420 round cans of M855 because that is what I was issued and used in the military.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know what it can and can't do. I have 70gr TSX, Mk262, and 75gr TAP for real SD applications, and I have M193 for training, but there is something comforting, nostalgic, or cool about those 420 round cans of M855 because that is what I was issued and used in the military.

Whoa. My long lost twin?
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Think of the M855 as a mid sized car
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Better yet he AGREES

BINGO!! Give that man a prize! All I was stating was I agree.....a great barrier blind round is ....well....great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

To each his own

Wulfmann

i thought 855 was defeated by barriers the same way 193 was?

I/E: tip shears and bullet frags

like you said, "to each his own".

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I remember an Iraq vet posting here that M855 went through windshields and into the bad guy's head splatting his brains all over the back seat.

Hence my two round group of the M855 followed by the Privi 75gr HP as my SD mags.
I presently keep 3 30 loaded that way but also now keep my range mags loaded with 55gr loads so they are back up ready
That gives me 300 rounds always on hand in mags with anther 500+ on clips

I should also point out I shoot a lot and am very in tuned to my weapons so my shot placement in quick combat should be very good and at 30 yards I will be within an inch of intention shooting off hand (PWS MK114 EOTech 512) .

While having the best (Gun, site and ammo) tools is great being well trained with what you have is almost always the most important aspect. Also IMO

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

While having the best (Gun, site and ammo) tools is great being well trained with what you have is almost always the most important aspect. Also IMO

......annnnnnd that fact is lost by the masses. It kills me watching people shoot, come to training classes, 3 gun events etc with the latest and greatest kit and ....

A) Can't hit the broad side of a barn let alone what they are aiming at
B) Can't manipulate their weapon, from a magazine change to shooting left vs right handed...or vise versa
C) Have never tried or experienced actually shooting on the move or moving and shooting once in position
D) Can't perform a failure drill to save their life.....because literally folks, it CAN save your life!

Practice, practice, practice, practice

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It hits hard enough for soft targets. It goes thru plate steel.......

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It hits hard enough for soft targets. It goes thru plate steel.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/500magnumnut/gun%20room/plate2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/500magnumnut/gun%20room/plate4.jpg

Yet in my informal ballistics gel test it failed miserably.

And M855 penetrates twice as much for me in both hardened steel and soft stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top