Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't laughed this much in a thread in awhile. OP, props for not giving a fuck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#2]
OP.....all that money for a nice SBR and you couldn't even spend $60 on getting it engraved, or at least $8 for a HF stamp kit?  Really? That looks like a 2yr old did it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP.....all that money for a nice SBR and you couldn't even spend $60 on getting it engraved, or at least $8 for a HF stamp kit?  Really? That looks like a 2yr old did it.
View Quote

I think that's the point. OP dont cur!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

......and what's wrong with a two year old with an SBR?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry...I was wrong. You could have got the stamp kit for $6.40 with the HF 20% off coupon
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

This whole AR with a can and both stamps is coming in around $900.  No sense in adding almost 10% to the cost just for some fancy engraving!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1  

This whole AR with a can and both stamps is coming in around $900.  No since in adding almost 10% to the cost just for some fancy engraving!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

This whole AR with a can and both stamps is coming in around $900.  No since in adding almost 10% to the cost just for some fancy engraving!

Damn OP, I like your style. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

I can't spell, but I can build a cheap rifle!

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are you even engraving it? Per the NFA handbook definition, you aren't a Manufacturer!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Fucking awesome OP, I award you 2 internets
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are you even engraving it? Per the NFA handbook definition, you aren't a Manufacturer!
View Quote

If it is a form 1 sbr he is.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People often ask where to get engraving done.  Many of the tops places are often pricy once you factor in shipping and have long lead times.

So why not do it your self?

Building a 8" .300 BLK with a can and the whole rig will come in at under $900

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1026_zpsc904fa27.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1026_zpsc904fa27.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1641_zps86c0a9dc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1641_zps86c0a9dc.jpg</a>

View Quote

I think a new career opportunity has opened up for you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People often ask where to get engraving done.  Many of the tops places are often pricy once you factor in shipping and have long lead times.

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1026_zpsc904fa27.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1026_zpsc904fa27.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1641_zps86c0a9dc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1641_zps86c0a9dc.jpg</a>

How much do you charge?  

It would be almost poetic to do this on a chainsaw lower.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How much do you charge?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much do you charge?  

Haha!  I need to get my hands on a LaRue Tactical lower to do it to...heads would explode haha

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody actually reads anything anymore, the internet say's to do it and if the internet says to do it then that makes it so?

Have you read the NFA handbook?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nobody actually reads anything anymore, the internet say's to do it and if the internet says to do it then that makes it so?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Chapter 6 -

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I was going to hire gentleman4561 to engrave mine until I noticed his bad grammer. It's a shame as that's some fine work ya got there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was going to hire gentleman4561 to engrave mine until I noticed his bad grammer. It's a shame as that's some fine work ya got there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You like what I did there?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]
i dont know what your day job is, but you need to quit it immediately and concentrate on engraving full time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks good OP.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the support guys!  Stay tuned for my post in the Suppressor forum once my Maglite Form 1 comes back!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From Chapter 6 -

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Chapter 6 -

You mean this, "existing firearm receiver... entered in Block 4(a)

6.2.1 Description of firearm. If an existing firearm or firearm receiver is being used, the name and location of the original manufacturer of the weapon should be entered in
Block 4(a). If the applicant is making a completely new firearm, the applicant’s name and location should be entered in Block 4(a). The type of firearm being made, i.e., short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun,
any other weapon, silencer or destructive device, is to be entered in Block 4(b). The caliber or gauge of the firearm is to be entered in Block 4(c). If a model designation has been assigned
to the firearm, that designation is to be placed in Block 4(d). If the weapon has no model designation, enter “none” in Block 4(d). The length of the barrel is to be entered, in inches, in
Block 4(e) and the overall length of the firearm is to be entered, in inches, in Block 4(f). All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings 95. If an existing
firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already
used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4 digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE : alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there
must be at least one numeric character in addition to the alpha characters. The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. 96 The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed disc ussion of the requirements.

And, It isn't for sale. I am not a manufacturer by their definition:

Section 7.2 What is a “manufacturer”?; What is “manufacturing”? 7.2.1 “Manufacturer”. As defined by the GCA, a “manufacturer” is any person engaged in the business of manufacturing fir
earms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution. 109 Similarly, NFA defines the term to mean any person “who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms”,
that is, firearms subject to the NFA. 110 To determine who is a “manufacturer” of firearms, we must look to see whether the person manufactures firearms as discussed in Section 7.2.2.
7.2.2 “Manufacturing”. “Manufacturing” is not defined by the law, regulations, or any formal ATF ruling. Nevertheless, the term has been interpreted by ATF to cover activities other than producing a
firearm from scratch. As interpreted by ATF, the term covers virtually any work performed on a firearm during the process of preparing the firearm for subsequent sale. For example, a person having a contract
with a manufacturer to apply finish ing or other work on firearms, or firearms frames or receivers, to prepare them for subsequent sale by the manufacturer would be a “manufacturer” required to qualify as
such. Of course, if the person produced firearms parts other than frames or receivers for the manufacturer or performed work on firearms parts not defined as “firearms,” the person would not be a
“manufacturer.”
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
ATF Ruling 2013-3

Also, if you're building a firearm on a Form 1, you're a maker, not a manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ATF Ruling 2013-3

Also, if you're building a firearm on a Form 1, you're a maker, not a manufacturer.
View Quote

^This. A Form 1 is an Application to Make and Register an NFA Firearm. If you file a form 1 you are making the NFA item, not Spikes, Larue, BCM, etc that might already be stamped on your lower. Again it says as the maker of the NFA item: " identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon". There doesn't seem to be any grey area in this area of the NFA handbook for me...
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
SPLENDID
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, how many glocks have you stippled and do you have pics of those?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

OP, how many glocks have you stippled and do you have pics of those?
View Quote
Only 2.  Here is the first one I ever did when I was 16.  It ain't the prettiest, but its functional.

Photo and cerakote credit goes to Accurate Ordnance.

I don't think I have a picture of the 34 I did.  I have since sold that gun.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok.  Now im confused. That seems like a pretty valid argument that would lead me to believe i DO NOT have to engrave my name and city/state on my BCM lower.  Yeah im confused now..
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the support guys!  Stay tuned for my post in the Suppressor forum once my Maglite Form 1 comes back!
View Quote

Please alternate between upper and lowercase! Haha.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ok.  Now im confused. That seems like a pretty valid argument that would lead me to believe i DO NOT have to engrave my name and city/state on my BCM lower.  Yeah im confused now..
View Quote

What exactly is the "that" that you're referring to? I think this is your first post in the thread, and there have been several things mentioned (mixed in among all the fantastic comments about the OP's work).
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha!

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

There have been zero valid arguments against engraving a Form 1 lower with the maker's name, city and state in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think the wraparound letter makes it 10x as awesome as it would've been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So.  True.  

Quoted:

This
whole AR with a can and both stamps is coming in around $900.  No sense
in adding almost 10% to the cost just for some fancy engraving!  
or 6.7% ?

"It's funny bc it's true." -Homer Simpson

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So.  True.  

or 6.7% ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So.  True.  

Quoted:

This whole AR with a can and both stamps is coming in around $900.  No sense in adding almost 10% to the cost just for some fancy engraving!  
or 6.7% ?

Thank ya!

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread needs some colorfill
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Simply spectacular. That's style in the form not giving a fuck. It's functional and aesthetically displeasing to the safe queen crowd. I give it a 10/10.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Simply spectacular. That's style in the form not giving a fuck. It's functional and aesthetically displeasing to the safe queen crowd. I give it a 10/10.

This
Haha thanks y'all

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did mine with a dremel. Locked it up in a vice I have. Printed out a thick vinyl stencil and took my time. The letters arent the same and depth varies, but it works.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG07271.jpg
View Quote

That is really impressive!

OP you got guts, nuts, motivation, and a "can do" attitude. crazy project gets a 10/10 in my book!  
"ATF whined about not having engraving... is THIS ENGRAVED ENOUGH FOR YA! "
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

OP you got guts, nuts, motivation, and a "can do" attitude. crazy project gets a 10/10 in my book!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did mine with a dremel. Locked it up in a vice I have. Printed out a thick vinyl stencil and took my time. The letters arent the same and depth varies, but it works.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG07271.jpg

Haha!

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For my second sbr I used a $8 stamp set from harbor freight. But I assume you already has the dremel and spending money was out of the question.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For my second sbr I used a $8 stamp set from harbor freight. But I assume you already has the dremel and spending money was out of the question.

Link?

Too tough for you to go to Harbor Freight . Com and search for "stamp set"?

here you go. I'll leave it to you to find a 20% coupon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought the 1/4" set last week. Think that will be too large?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bought the 1/4" set last week. Think that will be too large?
View Quote

Depends on how long the trust name is, and where you're engraving.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#48]
If you use a label maker and put a label on the surface, all you need to do is follow the letters with the engraver.  

I recommend a bandsaw to improve that lower.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you use a label maker and put a label on the surface, all you need to do is follow the letters with the engraver.  

I recommend a bandsaw to improve that lower.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#50]
This would make an epic GD thread.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top