Quoted:
Noveske all day
http://i.imgur.com/y5aCQvu.jpg
View Quote

Nicely done.
View Quote

agreed, great looking stick
View Quote

It's nice but it's a MK18. The DD will do everything that the Noveske will do.
View Quote

What's wrong with a "MK18"?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

Nicely done.
View Quote

View Quote

It's nice but it's a MK18. The DD will do everything that the Noveske will do.
View Quote

What's wrong with a "MK18"?
View Quote

Not a thing. I've built a few of them. 10.5"s are awesome carbines.

I'm just saying that whether the roll mark says "Daniel Defense" or "Noveske" is irrelevant.

IMHO the DD bbls shoot just as well as the Noveske bbls for most applications.

The correct rail is made by DD anyway. The rest of the parts, such as optics, stock, grips etc., are made by other companies.

If it has all of the correct components, then the roll mark makes no difference.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/user/skt4271/media/IMAG0258_zps588f2b0c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/skt4271/IMAG0258_zps588f2b0c.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/user/skt4271/media/20131005_133848_zps50429a7f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/skt4271/20131005_133848_zps50429a7f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, can you please show us where you are finding these at $800 price differential?  It seems out of line with numbers I've seen and people keep referencing it as though it is reality.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

why cause that is what you bought or are you going to give a tangible answer?

Both use quality parts and both will serve you well so you have to ask yourself, is the noveske worth an additional $800 more and why?  what parts are different and are those difference enough to warrant the price?  I say DD having owned both rifles in different set ups however.  I say this because you can outfit your DD with glass and ammo as well here
View Quote

If you owned both then how can you suggest DD over Noveske? My Noveske is smother and more accurate than my DD.
View Quote

It's not $800 smoother (which any competent owner can tweak) and more accurate is the point.  With these barrel sizes, we're not gunning for precision at range.  So tell us what constitutes teh $800 difference in material value?
View Quote

I did a quick search and looks like there is $150 difference. And I think the Noveske comes with a flip up rear sight and a gunfighter CH, IMOD stock and TD pistol grip.

Edit: I got the Noveske price from DSG Arms.

Edit: Damn I wish we could own SBRs in Washington State.
View Quote

Yeah thanks..i just saw that…Last I looked on the noveske website they had the mk18 at $2640.00 or something.  This was a few months back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
DD

IMG_3020 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_4050 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
moot point…Noveske removed the MK18 from their product lineup.  According to the hot sounding chick I spoke to she suggested I wait for the gen 3 stuff to come out in 2014 because they will be "awesome".
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are the prices I found both from DSG Arms:

Daniel Defense MK18

Noveske MK18

Of course they are both out of stock but definitely no $800 price difference.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're really torn, just get a noveske gen 2 lower and a DD upper. Best of both worlds.

That's what I'm in the process of doing
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

moot point…Noveske removed the MK18 from their product lineup.  According to the hot sounding chick I spoke to she suggested I wait for the gen 3 stuff to come out in 2014 because they will be "awesome".
View Quote
If the person you spoke to was Megan its because she IS hot.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I talked to neil@ gun gallery jax. He says they have a few noveske waiting for approval now, $1500.

I think I only got the DD because I didn't want to wait fir noveske in stock, but if I knew some was in the easy like now, I'd go noveske.

But I'm a brand whore.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
No experience with either but Daniel defense is eye candy! Lot of Daniel defense around here in california
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
DD is the way.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
$800 difference? I've seriously considered this to be my first sbr project and have priced them both out awhile back and theres not an $800 difference. I cant see one being better than the other due to the fact both DD and noveske make excellent products. Clone purposes yes DD has that one for the mk18 but I wouldn't take anything away from Noveske.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd get the Noveske solely based on my disdain for DD's billboard laser etching.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd get the Noveske solely based on my disdain for DD's billboard laser etching.
View Quote

If I were in the market now, that would turn me off.

I was fortunate enough to snag a Noveske MK18 upper two years ago factory direct. I got 10% off (LE/MIL). Mine runs like a sewing machine with crap ammo to premium stuff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
DD or Noveske MK18?    Hmmmm... Sophia Vergara or Halle Berry.?... these are  decisions I want to be tortured with...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats actually the one thing I dislike about DD.  MAybe I need to put more thought into this and consider building one….
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Noveske

But then I've never handled the DD Mk18
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just checked DSG Arms, both factory rifles, so this is apples to apples.  DD MK18 with RIS, no sights with MOE stock and A2 grip is 1749.00.  Noveske 10.5 factory rifle with DD RIS, I Mod stock, no sights and TD battle grip is 1740.00.  The bad is they are both out of stock.  Noveske is 9.00 less.
Both rifles come with 1 mag and A2 flash hiders.
Jim
View Quote

file a form 4(make your own SBR) buy the upper and lowers separate, no need to buy it complete and you avoid having 1700 in parts sitting in a gun shop for 10 months waiting for a stamp and maybe have to pay an out of state  transfer fee.  
View Quote

For some reason I was intent on a complete rifle, mainly because I wanted to avoid the hassle of engraving, but now that  you put it that way, it makes sense.  So if I go this route, what upper?  Complete DD, LMT (which is in stock at rainer), or go balls out and build a noveske from the ground up?
View Quote

I went with a complete LMT lowers w/SOPMOD from Rainier for my SBRs (450ish) I don't care much about having matching components but if you did, LMT would be also a good option. Are you concerned about "clone correctness", some want look-a -likes others really want to be as accurate as possible. I'd determine this first before making any choices, because it gets expensive to buy replacement parts later for "clone" reasons. You see it all the time in the clone threads.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Do you use a sling? As mounted so far forward I would have thought you instantly lose that rail space and in the event you need to transition to backup, that position is going to slap a hot flash hider against you instantly.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you use a sling? As mounted so far forward I would have thought you instantly lose that rail space and in the event you need to transition to backup, that position is going to slap a hot flash hider against you instantly.

View Quote

I shoot suppressed with my sling mount as far forward as I can, and have no issues with getting burned.  I do always wear pants...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking to get a MK18..always wanted a Noveske, but they are just so much friggin money compared to the DD.  

Thoughts on this?  I know Noveske has a better barrel, but is it really almost $800.00 better??
View Quote

Not in the least. No way. Save the money for ammo. I actually think DDM4 are more rugged.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Noveske has a FN barrel.  

Not sure if it;s better than DD's CHF barrel or not, I do know FN runs M249 chrome lining in their chrome lined barrels.

FWIW DD makes a legit MK18.

Noveske makes a very similar upper.

If you want a MK 18 clone, DD is the way to go. (or LMT)

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#25]
As much as I'd like to get a Noveske, I have a DD.  $800 will buy your optic and sights.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Fwiw as a new member but longtime firearms user and apprentice gunsmith I vote for the DD. If you have the extra $ to burn then get the novenske! You won't be sorry! Both are awesome products!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#27]
DD. No question noveske makes a great product. If your talking mk18 (CQBR) clone, DD is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Unless you are going with a Noveske stainless barrel get the DD. Or better yet build your own.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Noveske all day
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just checked DSG Arms, both factory rifles, so this is apples to apples.  DD MK18 with RIS, no sights with MOE stock and A2 grip is 1749.00.  Noveske 10.5 factory rifle with DD RIS, I Mod stock, no sights and TD battle grip is 1740.00.  The bad is they are both out of stock.  Noveske is 9.00 less.
Both rifles come with 1 mag and A2 flash hiders.
Jim
View Quote

While DSG is typically priced right...that's way too much for a factory DD MK18 SBR.

I found one for $1300 something shipped from Kentucky Gun Co back in September.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Yup, my factory SBR DDmk18 was $1350.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#32]
My county doesn't have Noveske as an approved manufacturer.....really have no idea why....so...

DD for me!

In all honesty, I've owned a few Noveske's and they are nice. Nothing wrong with either but I went with DD before I found out that I couldn't run the Noveske, if it is any consolation.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]
All due respect to Noveske, but DD will provide you with everything you need for a lower cost of entry.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Both companies make awesome products. If you don't get the Noveske, you will most likely still want the Noveske and may one day end up with both. The extra money spent will get you what you want. Personally I'd spend the extra money on ammo or glass. I would happily take either rifle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Great rifles to choose from. Go Noveske Their HF barrels are made to almost as accurate as their SS barrels I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the 2.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

Both use quality parts and both will serve you well so you have to ask yourself, is the noveske worth an additional $800 more and why?  what parts are different and are those difference enough to warrant the price?  I say DD having owned both rifles in different set ups however.  I say this because you can outfit your DD with glass and ammo as well here
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

Nicely done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Last I checked, Noveske was making 10.5" versions of these uppers for roughly the same price as the DD 10.3" ones, with both coming in a slightly over $1k.

I prefer the Noveske barrel and would want the extra barrel length to avoid any suppressor compatibility issues.  Then I'd stick it on whichever lower I preferred.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#40]
If you wanted to build right now, then DD is a good option because you can buy them.

Noveske are likes hens teeth. Plus they are more expensive, and the new website doesn't list any with anything other than their own rails, which would make it not a Mk18.

Regarding suppressor compatibility, then I have the DD Mk18 and everything fits with a couple of shims. I currently use a thread on Gemtech (Trek) and its great. I did shim it so that the text lined up because I am OCD like that but it doesn't need shims.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

View Quote

Your answer is a perfectly logical argument but I live in America and chose to spend the money I earned working my ass off at my job to buy what I believe is a superior product with better resale in case down the road I decide to sell it. Thanks for trying to be a D bag about my opinion though.  
For that you earned another pic-
Noveske all day p.2

ETA that upper was about 950.00 for the Vltor MUR, DD RIS 2 and Noveske N4 10.5" barrel. I didn't include the mb, BCG or ch because that's you're choice; you can go super spendy or el cheapo. I also believe the Vltor to be far superior to the DD upper, although not clone correct.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking to get a MK18..always wanted a Noveske, but they are just so much friggin money compared to the DD.  

Thoughts on this?  I know Noveske has a better barrel, but is it really almost $800.00 better??
View Quote

Not in the least. No way. Save the money for ammo. I actually think DDM4 are more rugged.
View Quote

How is it more rugged? They are so extremely similar. Mil-spec receivers, hammer forged barrels, and the same rail...

And OP, I haven't seen an $800 price difference between them. Maybe more like $200...

I would take the Noveske over the DD. The Noveske also doesn't have any laser markings
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Last I checked, Noveske was making 10.5" versions of these uppers for roughly the same price as the DD 10.3" ones, with both coming in a slightly over $1k.

I prefer the Noveske barrel and would want the extra barrel length to avoid any suppressor compatibility issues.  Then I'd stick it on whichever lower I preferred.

View Quote

This.   I don't know where you are all coming up with $800 dollars more for the noveske but my upper for the block ii CQBR was roughly $100 more than DD.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you wanted to build right now, then DD is a good option because you can buy them.  Agreed.  Don't know if Noveske continues to make them.

Noveske are likes hens teeth. Plus they are more expensive, and the new website doesn't list any with anything other than their own rails, which would make it not a Mk18.  Again, when they were available, the complete uppers were approx. the same price (unless you found a sale), but agree they may not be currently available.

Regarding suppressor compatibility, then I have the DD Mk18 and everything fits with a couple of shims. I currently use a thread on Gemtech (Trek) and its great. I did shim it so that the text lined up because I am OCD like that but it doesn't need shims.  I'm only familiar with a few suppressor mounts, and I know there is an AAC mount that won't work without a large shim.  Can't speak to all cans/mounts, but I would prefer to avoid that potential issue for 0.2" of bbl, all things being equal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske all day
View Quote

View Quote

If you owned both then how can you suggest DD over Noveske? My Noveske is smother and more accurate than my DD.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats actually the one thing I dislike about DD.  MAybe I need to put more thought into this and consider building one….
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you can have one built by DD without the laser markings. a few guys in the MK18 thread have said they have gone that route to avoid the markings.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm pretty sure you can have one built by DD without the laser markings. a few guys in the MK18 thread have said they have gone that route to avoid the markings.
View Quote

Yep. Here's mine:

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I bought mine actually hopping to get the makings, but they sent me a bare one. I only wanted it so I don't confuse it with a 300blk. But now I'm glad it doesn't have laser etch.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top