Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2007 4:22:50 PM EDT

I am leaning very hard towards purchasing one of these SL8 build-guns this year, in addition to a Masada.  

Specifically, I want an SBR'ed G36C.  Before I drop the cash, I need to figure out a few things however.

How is reliability?  Accuracy? Do the mags function well?  Does the weapon have a last round bolt-hold-open feature?  How easy is it to hit the selector? (I hate the position of the selector on my MP5).

Do the handguards or any other plastic part heat up excessively with sustained semiauto fire?  I'm talking about up to 120 rounds or so in 2-3 minutes.  

I strongly doubt this would replace my AR as a 'go-to' weapon, but I will definitely shoot it in a couple of matches if I purchase one, so I want a decent shooter, not a total safe queen.  Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 12/20/2007 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read they are not as reliable when the conversion is completed...and you often see converted SL-8's for sale so that's not exactly a good sign either.  I'd say there's better ways to spend the money but if you really want one then you will get one no matter what...
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Not worth the trouble, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not worth the trouble, IMO.

Anything specific?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive shot a few of the clones built from SL-8 rifles. No misfeeds at all. The real G36 is extremely reliable. I think part of the problem clone owners are experiencing is magazine selection. The commonly available kit from topnotch uses M16 magazines, not really what the G36 was designed for. You can fairly easily swap out the mag well so you can use standard G36 mags. Other problems:

1. The stock on the conversions will have a longer length of pull than the standard G36 because the SL8 has a longer receiver(an extension in the rear). If you have long arms this is no problem but if you are average, the stock will be too long.

2. If you use the G36 mag well there will be a "hole" on the right side of the receiver. This can be covered if you have two mags fit together.

3. The Bundeswehr pattern optical sights suck. You can put any picatinny based optic on the SL8 or  aftermarket rail though. German Spec Ops types did use the Eotech in place of the standard optics later on in Afghanistan.

Ive seen the clones for sale as cheap as 2400 dollars but most seem to want to get out everything they have in them and price them in the 4K+ range(too much in my opinion). The controls are similar to standard roller HKs.

As far as the plastics, Ive not heard of any trouble - at least with the Bundeswehr(and I qualified with this weapon in Afghanistan). I do know of one guy in Nevada who managed to partially  melt one but he dumped an entire C-Mag thru one with a suppressor-not recommended with any weapon. The only durability complaint Ive heard from German troops is the G36 magazine springs will take a set if left loaded too long (30 days). This was in 2002 and I dont know if HK has rectified this. Still, to me the folding stock seems pretty flimsy but then Im a G3 kind of guy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]

MTRancher, thanks for all the excellent info.

The length of pull on the stock is unfortunate as I do have fairly short arms.  I'll need to handle one before buying if possible to know if it will affect my ability to shoot it comfortably.

I was planning on using the optics rail instead of the integrated optic anyway so I will pick up an EOTech for it somewhere.  I'm also planning on using the actual G36 magwell as I like the idea of the clipped-together mags, so no worries on the Top Notch M16 magwell.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a G36k clone and really enjoy it. The lenght of pull is almost too long thought, but other that that, I hadn't had any problems with mine. I do use the original G36 mags most of the time and when I do use the AR adaptor, I use HK416 mags, and they feed great in the rifle.
I had heard for people having problems using the factory G36K barrels and 55gr ammo. I don't know why, but the two guys I talked to about it said that the 55gr stuff fails to extract about 70% of the time. Never heard of any problems from using a cut SL8 barrel thou.
Oh and the hole in the side of the receiver where you cut the mag block out - I use it to tell if I have a mag in

I wonder if by using the shorter G36C stock, how much the lenght of pull is reduced.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
MTRancher, thanks for all the excellent info.

The length of pull on the stock is unfortunate as I do have fairly short arms.  I'll need to handle one before buying if possible to know if it will affect my ability to shoot it comfortably.

I was planning on using the optics rail instead of the integrated optic anyway so I will pick up an EOTech for it somewhere.  I'm also planning on using the actual G36 magwell as I like the idea of the clipped-together mags, so no worries on the Top Notch M16 magwell.

If you are going to SBR it, then the best course would be to find a G36K or C kit. You do don't have to buy the top-notch stock and you'll have your magwell. It is a pricey toy however, like you I've been planning on getting one of these in '08 and it looks like they run  $3-4K done right, by someone like http://www.hdps.org/
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do them right, they are dead nuts reliable and sweet looking.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Boomfab, that's pretty much exactly what I want.  Is yours an HDPS gun?  

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#11]
has you seen the tom bostic conversions? they make it look more like a G36 and fixes the length of pull issues, BUT requires you to mod the reciever either a little (2nd gen) or ALOT (3rd gen)

look at hkpro forum for info.

I'm thinking about it, but for around $2600 total, cannot decide whether to go a Sig556/551 conversion or this.

BTW I already have enough ar, so that is not an option, or aug, hk, etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Boomfab, that's pretty much exactly what I want.  Is yours an HDPS gun?  

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
i sbr'd mine got a K kit and built it from there, i had to cut my receiver and brace the k receiver on it, but when its all said and done i have something different... the price was rediculious though (around 3k) but when i go to the range everyone would rather shoot an eotech g36k over my acog ar-15, and it definately gets lots of looks...
the pros
i love rarely have to clean it up, length of pull is just right for me, accurate (although i dont know its average moa at 100 yards), and the folding stock is a definate plus, and it fits in a 26 inch carry case... mags clip together (and yes it has a bolt hold open when last round is fired) and like i said it is different at the range heexpensive as hell!!!!!! hk parts are very hard to come by when you need them, rifle does heat up under HEAVY sustained fire,-(havnt had problems with it melting though, thank god) lack of aftermarket accessories and the few are very pricey, mags are hard to find, expensive, and get stuck on pouches when pulling them out (unless specifically designed for a g36 or sig 552, so my 5.11 tac vest wouldnt be preferable)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/l_2c88161084c3c1336e0a73628ca0a9ac.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/100_1376.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/100_1368.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/m4vrsg36.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/m4vrsg362.jpg

Link Posted: 12/23/2007 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I was dead set on building a G36 clone, until I shot one...Personally, the platform isn't good enough for me to spend 2500.00+ on. Even after that expenditure, I would be left with a "cobbled up clone", not a real G36, so I would probably never trust it for HD use and its too much money/effort for a range toy/bullet hose. If you are an HK collector, by all means build one...if you are someone looking for one as a HD type weapon, I think you will be really disapointed.

IIRC, the G36 is now in A2 format. Im not sure what that gets you, but I doubt it addresses the most serious issues, as the only way to fix the G36 is to replace it IMO.
I found the stock to be weak and flexed noticibly during 2/3/20+ round bursts. The factory optics, while neat looking, SUCK. They are hard to use, uncomfortable and are notorious for fogging/losing zero. An Aimpoint/EoTech is mandatory for any serious use...Sustained automatic fire will melt the trunion and destroy the gun. This is kind of a "meh" issue for me...I won't ever own an automatic weapon, let alone a G36 and if I did, I would never do consecutive Cmag dumps with it. Don't kid yourself, sustained automatic fire will grenade an M4 too...probably just as fast/faster due to the increased heat associated with DI operation. A carbine isn't a SAW...the befuddling fact is that HK advertises a SAW type squad support variant of the G36. Wow...you would think they would no better, but the XM8 would prove otherwise. The magazines are fragile, and will easily break/ejacluate ammo when dropped. Also, they typically aren't compatible with STANAG type magazine pouches. Also, it is possible to bounce an empty case back into the chamber when shooting with the stock collapsed. Every gun has its nuances, but the G36 has some that are unforgivable IMO. Several LE Agencies returned/sold thier G36's because they were both unhappy with the guns quirks and couldn't get them to run right. IIRC, both DC Metro and a MI LE agency both had issues with thier fleet of G36's. The English and Spainish government have also had some issues. HK has it essentially on life support. Its the 416 that is being actively shopped to agencies.
A much better rifle IMO...

The AR15 has really spoiled us. It too is not without fault, but its an accurate/realible/ergonomic weapon which uses readily availible/inexpensive magazines/components. The HK G36 is a step down in performance IMO, especially a clone. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify that kind of money for a "toy", or atleast a rifle that wouldn't be functionally better than a 800.00 Bushmaster. If the G36 was made by HK and availible like the Sig 556, that would quell some of my concerns, but I still probably wouldn't own one. The Sig is a better rifle... If you are gonna spend 2000.00+ on a clone, it better offer 2k worth of performance, or atleast better than a 500.00 parts kit AR. That just isn't the case with a G36 clone...An Arsenal SLR106 is a much better piston 5.56 than the G36. If you are a collector/hobbyist, by all means... get one. They are cool looking and stuff, they just aren't the best fighting rifle availible, far from it IMO. Nowhere near the HK93 atleast...
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Ryno, thanks for all the excellent info.  Some of the reported issues won't be a problem, since I will mount my own optic instead of the factory one, and don't intend to fire it with the stock folded.

However, you make some excellent points with the stock flex issues and expenditure for an 'OK' weapon.

I like the concept and I am working to expand my '5.56mm rifles of the world' collection right now (I've got three ARs plus four other .mil 5.56mm models), so that is why the G36 has gotten such a hard look from me lately.  But your info gives me pause.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
i havnt had any ejection problems with the shells bouncing back into the rifle with the stock folded up, and while the m4 is a better platform i still will prefer my g36-sl8 at the range any day over my rra carbine just because i hate cleaning my rifle longer than it took to shoot it... until the 416 comes out or i upgrade my rra to a piston, it will be my 2nd choice for now or at least at the range-(i will definately check on the massada though) and while the rifle is cut, braced and glued it still is really reliable (so far 1000+rounds and for its barrel size is fairly accurate) if you go through with it you WILL need some sort of optics that arnt the hk ones though-i like my eotech, but cant co-witness, and the aimpoint wont either, unless you get the micro
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top