Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goloud:
I am a self admitted MCX fanboy, so I am biased.

But I just don’t see all of the arguments about generations and parts interchangeability.

One has to assume that any platform with grow and evolve over the years. So when a new version comes out, it’s a blessing when parts are at least partially backward compatible.

The other option is to upgrade to a new gun and sell the old one for nearly as much as you paid for it. Or stay with the one you have.

These are not planned obsolescence situations like you see with phones and other tech. Re-engineering for added capabilities will limit compatibility.

Hopefully I’m not coming off as an elitist, and I realize I am in a different situation than most shooters. I do try a put myself in consumers shoes as much as possible.

View Quote

Overwhelmingly agree.

The market begs for innovation and refinement. This is what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Like I said, I agree I can for once agree with this change… is it enough for me to sell mine and buy a new one, no… but I am deff glad that sig didn’t do there usual procedure and just discontinue… I remember going through the whole finding parts with the sig 556 after it was discontinued…. Then dealing with 556xi….  Was very frustrating… I had the charging handle of my xi fly off while shooting (was on the left side) sig just discontinued the xi… there were none available on the internet… called sig and they wouldn’t even sell me one!!! They said the only way I could get one was if I mailed my rifle in to them and they would access it if I need one or not…:. After 2-3 email and pics a higher up manager finally  agreed to sell me one for $95…. As soon as I got it in I sold the rifle..

Long story short, Sig burnt me on them with dealing with 556,556xi,556r… now I’m Invested with a 11.5” virtus and 6.7” tacops, and I’m glad my guns arnt discontinued just updated!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just glad I didn't buy a Virtus at the start of the summer like I had planned.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:
I'm just glad I didn't buy a Virtus at the start of the summer like I had planned.
View Quote

You will have plenty time to save up for the spear LT, atleast till they come to market at msrp… unless you jump the gun and get a gunbroker one lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carbon2329] [#5]
If history has any bearing,  the Spear LT won't be readily available for years, if ever.  

The MCX Virtus (5.56 etc) has been MIA for 5+ years.....except on Gunbroker..
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been holding off buying a MCX for a while now. Glad this is finally becoming available. It fits what I'm looking for to the T.

Now the search begins for a 11.5" 556 pistol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headspacer] [#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Higher than I expected, scar 16 price levels.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By carbon2329:
If history has any bearing,  the Spear LT won't be readily available for years, if ever.  

View Quote

Yeah, pretty much this. I like my virtuses but I think unless you way over pay it’s going to be a while before these new Lts are going to be available in any quantity beyond the initial trickle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
You can backorder through Impact guns. All models minus the 308/277 version.
https://www.impactguns.com/search-results/?search_query=Mcx+spear+lt
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:
View Quote

Good luck finding a SPEAR LT at MSRP by next summer or the summer after.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#12]
From Osage… answers quite a few questions about the new handguard and making it fit, plus they said they have all of them on order

https://osagecountyguns.com/blog/3rd-generation-sig-sauer-mcx-spear-lt.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Maybe you're just going in to the wrong gun stores. Here in NE GA any gun store worth it's salt has had an ample supply of Virtus, Rattler and MPX.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m in south Louisiana, I haven’t seen but 1 sig mcx in stock at prob 10 local stores by me in the last year or so… and I bought it, sig mcx tacops a month or so ago… they usually have 1-2 mpx, but mcx don’t make it all the way down south..
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
@coregon or anyone who knows:

Is Rattler production going to continue?  In it's 5.5" configuration?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
@coregon or anyone who knows:

Is Rattler production going to continue?  In it's 5.5" configuration?
View Quote

Yes.  You'll see (or have already seen) Rattler SKU's change - they not have a suffix of "-NB" for "no brace".  None of our pistol SKU's ship with a brace (MCX and MPX alike).
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Headspacer:
You can backorder through Impact guns. All models minus the 308/277 version.
https://www.impactguns.com/search-results/?search_query=Mcx+spear+lt
View Quote

Just to be clear, the SPEAR-LT is the next generation of MCX.  NOT the NGSW gun that comes in 6.8x51 (277SIG, 6.5CM, 308, etc).  The NGSW SPEAR gun is a different rifle and will be releasing soon on the commercial market.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
@coregon

Is the “nb” no brace packages in wake of the possible atf brace ruling to ship guns  without a potential ban item included? Of just to come in at a cheaper price?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bigchillin83:
@coregon

Is the “nb” no brace packages in wake of the possible atf brace ruling to ship guns  without a potential ban item included? Of just to come in at a cheaper price?
View Quote

Both.  Braces, regardless of any type of pending legislative action (or not), are a production constraint that delays the shipping of firearms.  With the MCX/MPX platform having the 1913 pica tinny attachment in the rear of the receiver, there are any number of existing SIG braces/stocks, as well as aftermarket attachments that the end user can then choose how they want to use those attachments.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:

Maybe you're just going in to the wrong gun stores. Here in NE GA any gun store worth it's salt has had an ample supply of Virtus, Rattler and MPX.
View Quote

What are the names of those shops.....I will call asap.........?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#21]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Both.  Braces, regardless of any type of pending legislative action (or not), are a production constraint that delays the shipping of firearms.  With the MCX/MPX platform having the 1913 pica tinny attachment in the rear of the receiver, there are any number of existing SIG braces/stocks, as well as aftermarket attachments that the end user can then choose how they want to use those attachments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@coregon

Good to know, thanks buddy!!! You right, the first thing I did after I got both of my pistols was remove the sig brace and put the brace on I wanted
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:46:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#22]

View All Quotes

Which model are you looking for specifically?  If you havent been able to find a Virtus for the past couple of months, yesterday's release should help you understand why.  However, Rattler and MPX have not stopped shipping - in complete transparency, Virtus never STOPPED shipping, only slowed, as the production transition was completed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Where?

I drive all over the state of GA for work and stop in a lot of gun stores. I've seen exactly two 11.5 Virtus pistols in 3 years of looking. I bought one of them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I have a Virtus I purchased last year when they were "mia" as well as a TACOPS.

I paid MAP for both. If you want one, you'll make an effort to find one. It will happen the same
with the SPEAR LT. If you want one, you'll find one. Even if you have to place an order directly
with SIG.

Gunbroker is not the answer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#25]
So the big boy in .277 is probably going to be $5k?  And $1+ a shot for the cheapest ammo?

Crazy.

Edit: Also pretty shitty the pistols don't come with braces and aren't even discounted $50 over the rifles with stocks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
This is a BS post.  They are out there. Proven has them all the time. So does Osage.  They come in and out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#27]
From what I see proven inventory is  95% le only models and Osage has upper exchange kits and just got the virtus patrol in stock…. Which by the way went outta stock about 2 days after they got a few in and back outta stock now lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#28]
@coregon garand Thumb mentioned the military version having titanium inserts instead of steel.

Any chance we could see a Legion version with titanium inserts?

Or maybe sell them as a separate upgrade part kit?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
@coregon garand Thumb mentioned the military version having titanium inserts instead of steel.

Any chance we could see a Legion version with titanium inserts?

Or maybe sell them as a separate upgrade part kit?
View Quote

No.  Entirely too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carbon2329] [#30]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
This is a BS post.  They are out there. Proven has them all the time. So does Osage.  They come in and out of stock.
View Quote

====

"From what I see proven inventory is  95% le only models and Osage has upper exchange kits and just got the virtus patrol in stock…. Which by the way went outta stock about 2 days after they got a few in and back outta stock now lol"

====

I beg to differ, respectfully........

Almost every person who has reviewed them (on Youtube) has said they are great "but a bit hard to find".....This has been the common sentiment for years. So much so that the write-up MAC did on the LT states they will likely be hard to get based on the history of availability of the Virtus over that past 5+ years....

Folks always say, I see them on the shelves,...... but then I call and they have none.....What You and folks do is:  look online and in stores and you look back over the past 5-8 years and remember seeing a Virtus on the shelf (or on a website) and say they have them all the time......when in fact, they have had two come through the shop in 5 years................

No hard feelings, but I have looked for Virtus's for the past 4-5 years (and collecting a few) and this has been my experience between dozens of stores (multiple states) and searching regularly online and keeping up on them on social media......
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carbon2329] [#31]
It was on Patreon:
Here is a segment of his write-up (and no MAC is not the expert on all things Sig, this is just on example of what I expressed about availability):

"I will post up the video as soon as I can here for you to see.

The MSRP is $2499 and they'll probably be hard to get for quite some time given all the military contracts Sig has. They've never been able to keep up with the demand on the original Virtus as it is.

More to come as we really start shooting this rifle a lot including using the Sig silencer that's meant for this rifle. "
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought this exchange on SIG's Instagram on the release of the SPEAR-LT was interesting...

betrunken1: If you already have an MCX, not sure why you would spend the money on this (SPEAR-LT) version. If I was to buy a SPEAR I would want it chambered in 277 FURY.

---bigdoggie1000: I'd take one in .308 for sure, not sure why I'd want 7.62x39 though.

---betrunken1: 7.62x39 on an AR platform never made much sense to me. AKs are WIDELY available.

---bigdoggie1000: Those mags also seem like they'd lose their novelty FAST

My takeaway from this conversation is, being a Virtus owner myself, yes, the SPEAR is vastly appealing. It shed a bit of weight, gained a bit of ergonomics, added the ambi bolt catch/release, and introduced the 7.62x39. MAC and GT were both in agreeance that these are probably the "major" changes. I'd probably be more inclined to wait for the 277 or 308 models to come out.

I guess what my point is is that if you don't own a Virtus, go hard and try to grab one of these up. If you are a Virtus owner, the SPEAR-LT doesn't seem like enough of an "upgrade" for me to try and scoop one up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By doolz:I guess what my point is is that if you don't own a Virtus, go hard and try to grab one of these up. If you are a Virtus owner, the SPEAR-LT doesn't seem like enough of an "upgrade" for me to try and scoop one up.
View Quote

I'll just grab the 300BO upper for my SBR'd Virtus lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I originally was looking at an SBR, .300 then I'm leaning on either a carbine, 7.62x39 or 5.56? dang.

Big question is at what point would a complete upper be available I either caliber above, 16"?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#35]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

I'll just grab the 300BO upper for my SBR'd Virtus lower.
View Quote

THIS.

If you have a VIRTUS lower, it seems like the investment would be to plug-and-play with the uppers since those are compatible and where the "upgrades" really are.

If I happen to get my hands on an 11.5 SPEAR-LT upper, it'll go right for cerakote to match my black lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Placed a back order with impact guns, will be curious to see how long it takes to get the order.

Damned excited to get my hands on this setup. Going to be my new primary, after I put it through the paces.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:
Placed a back order with impact guns, will be curious to see how long it takes to get the order.

Damned excited to get my hands on this setup. Going to be my new primary, after I put it through the paces.
View Quote

Which SKU?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#38]
Coregon,

I just noticed looking at some of the production pictures that the handguards on the SPEAR-LT's don't extend lengthwise as much as the Virtus did... almost to the end of the barrel before the muzzle device.

Was exposing some of the barrels and shortening the length of the handguards part of the weight reduction concept?

ETA: 16" models only appear to have the length difference in handguards between the Virtus and SPEAR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#39]

Which SKU?
View All Quotes

Which SKU?

PMCX-556N-11B-LT
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By doolz:
Coregon,

I just noticed looking at some of the production pictures that the handguards on the SPEAR-LT's don't extend lengthwise as much as the Virtus did... almost to the end of the barrel before the muzzle device.

Was exposing some of the barrels and shortening the length of the handguards part of the weight reduction concept?

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1kqh9qmybo/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/76155/186511/sig-sigsauermcx-rmcx556n16blt__16772.1663690482.png?c=2
https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2f7933e2ff16f0ec074a16ab6b6195f2/m/c/mcx-virtus-right-web.jpg

ETA: 16" models only appear to have the length difference in handguards between the Virtus and SPEAR.
View Quote

Yes, that definitely helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't understand the appeal of 762R as a consumer. Maybe if I were sitting on a pallet of 762R, then I would. It's outperformed in most ways by .300blk and/or 5.56.

For the mags, the ASC mags or whatever are the only game in town, compared to R&D for a new receiver and bolt. Then they'd also have to listen to whiners who say that their West Elbonian Type XII(ii)d waffle bakelite mags don't feed correctly.

I understand that Sig is just reacting to market demand, but I don't get where the demand comes from.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I don't understand the appeal of 762R as a consumer. Maybe if I were sitting on a pallet of 762R, then I would. It's outperformed in most ways by .300blk and/or 5.56.

For the mags, the ASC mags or whatever are the only game in town, compared to R&D for a new receiver and bolt. Then they'd also have to listen to whiners who say that their West Elbonian Type XII(ii)d waffle bakelite mags don't feed correctly.

I understand that Sig is just reacting to market demand, but I don't get where the demand comes from.
View Quote

I thought 7.62 handily beat 300 blackout? Either way it’s a cool round but I mostly agree with you. With all the oddball calibers that have come around in the last few years I’m surprised a mid size 30 cal hasn’t showed up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Easier to find 7.62x39r than it is 300blk in most areas and cheaper than 300blk too.

Personally don't have a need for it as I'd rather use my Rattler in 300blk but I have plenty of buddies that are sitting on cases of 7.62x39r.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#44]

====

"From what I see proven inventory is  95% le only models and Osage has upper exchange kits and just got the virtus patrol in stock . Which by the way went outta stock about 2 days after they got a few in and back outta stock now lol"

====

I beg to differ, respectfully........

Almost every person who has reviewed them (on Youtube) has said they are great "but a bit hard to find".....This has been the common sentiment for years. So much so that the write-up MAC did on the LT states they will likely be hard to get based on the history of availability of the Virtus over that past 5+ years....

Folks always say, I see them on the shelves,...... but then I call and they have none.....What You and folks do is:  look online and in stores and you look back over the past 5-8 years and remember seeing a Virtus on the shelf (or on a website) and say they have them all the time......when in fact, they have had two come through the shop in 5 years................

No hard feelings, but I have looked for Virtus's for the past 4-5 years (and collecting a few) and this has been my experience between dozens of stores (multiple states) and searching regularly online and keeping up on them on social media......
View Quote
They are hard to find, yes.  Not impossible. If you want one you can find one
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

No one, NO ONE wanted 556 aside from random civilians.

The original MCX sold more guns in the first couple years than the 12 years of the 556 production run combined. It's now been adopted in significant and increasing numbers by USSOF and Allied SOF. If you want something to succeed, it needs significant organizational adoption. The MCX is doing this in a way that the SCAR, ACR, XCR, 556, etc never came close to.

When stuff doesn't sell enough to justify its existence, SIG discontinues it. The MCX is the next big rifle, and while it can't replace the AR, it's a significant market force.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Like I said, I agree I can for once agree with this change… is it enough for me to sell mine and buy a new one, no… but I am deff glad that sig didn’t do there usual procedure and just discontinue… I remember going through the whole finding parts with the sig 556 after it was discontinued…. Then dealing with 556xi….  Was very frustrating… I had the charging handle of my xi fly off while shooting (was on the left side) sig just discontinued the xi… there were none available on the internet… called sig and they wouldn’t even sell me one!!! They said the only way I could get one was if I mailed my rifle in to them and they would access it if I need one or not…:. After 2-3 email and pics a higher up manager finally  agreed to sell me one for $95…. As soon as I got it in I sold the rifle..

Long story short, Sig burnt me on them with dealing with 556,556xi,556r… now I’m Invested with a 11.5” virtus and 6.7” tacops, and I’m glad my guns arnt discontinued just updated!!!

No one, NO ONE wanted 556 aside from random civilians.

The original MCX sold more guns in the first couple years than the 12 years of the 556 production run combined. It's now been adopted in significant and increasing numbers by USSOF and Allied SOF. If you want something to succeed, it needs significant organizational adoption. The MCX is doing this in a way that the SCAR, ACR, XCR, 556, etc never came close to.

When stuff doesn't sell enough to justify its existence, SIG discontinues it. The MCX is the next big rifle, and while it can't replace the AR, it's a significant market force.

lol that has no variance on a manufacture selling a primo $ gun then discontinuing it, and parts drying up and have to beg and pled to pay for a simple required part to make the gun work... I would expect better cs then that... Its not like i would take that charging handle and use it on any other platform and try to scam sig... its blatantly obvious it was only for there gun and i needed one..
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#47]

PMCX-556N-11B-LT
View Quote

Same one I ordered today. See what happens eh
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

I prefer 10.3 as well. Have been using them professionally for a while.  The dwell time argument is overblown for the ar15 and holds no water when designing an operating system from the ground up as engineers are free to place the gas block where ever.  

@coregon will the 10.5 in guns be available to LE dealers for officer purchase?
View Quote

10.5” would be nice to have to build out a CAG or wherever is using the 10.5” setup clone build.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GrAvril:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrAvril:

PMCX-556N-11B-LT

Nice, have an optic planned for it yet?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
I'd assume the civilian 7.62x39mm MCX is a side-effect of them doing the R&D for military versions. There are still countries/gov agencies that buy modern guns in 7.62x39mm for whatever reason.
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top