US Army M4 replacement Military NGSW Program Explained
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Video by Task and Purpose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0XId4kftg
View Quote
Jeez. I hate to complain, but man, those guys need to shoot something other than an AR-15 to figure out their stance and remove the chick lean. They got pushed around by the recoil so much that it was distracting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Jeez. I hate to complain, but man, those guys need to shoot something other than an AR-15 to figure out their stance and remove the chick lean. They got pushed around by the recoil so much that it was distracting.
View Quote

Yeah, I hate to say it, but you are right. It's like none of them have shot anything bigger than .223.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is the gun rotating so much in his hands?  Is the bolt that massive?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Yeah, I hate to say it, but you are right. It's like none of them have shot anything bigger than .223.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup, he’s never been behind anything with real recoil, lol. Nor has he had much experience with anything heavier than an M4, looks like. Either that, or fully loaded, the Spear is a heavy beast.

And that 6.8 looks like it’s got a good kick to it, even as heavy as it looks. going to be interesting to watch little 120 pound female soldiers try shooting it offhand.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The guy in the blue polo and the chick look like shit. That shouldn't have been approved for video, either by Sig, or out of sheer embarrassment.

The guy in the black shirt does just fine with the 5.56 MCX, but it's obvious he's never had to pull anything into his shoulder for recoil mitigation.

It's also obvious that he's not strong enough to hold it at the ready, his support hand creeps closer to the magwell, and he starts flinching a bit more and turning more 45deg, instead of square to the target.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what @coregon thinks of the recoil. Is it better than shown in the video?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Stance or not, looks a bit heavy with a bit too much kick to replace the M4 as stated.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAG2955] [#9]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
Stance or not, looks a bit heavy with a bit too much kick to replace the M4 as stated.
View Quote
I'd like to see someone with arm strength and training shoot it first, but yeah, it worries me a touch.

ETA:  Compare to the video by TFB on the previous page.  It obviously has more recoil than an M4, and will require re-training for many, but I think it'll be just fine *if* you've ever shot a large frame AR or similar before.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Recoil is obviously greater than a standard M4-type rifle.

It’s sharp, but not unmanageable
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By coregon:

View Quote

Sounds like marketing speak for "it's not that great".
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
It is essentially shooting a .270WSM from a sub 9 pound rifle. Only so much that can be done to make it not feel like it is shooting a .270WSM from a sub 9 pound rifle.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
Originally Posted By coregon:

I dont know your definition of "great" - its an 80k PSI round out of a 13" barrel, it has some recoil.  Is it "significant"? No.  Is it manageable?  Yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve shot it. It’s not bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't see the purpose as a battle rifle, only a DMR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BLKY:
I don't see the purpose as a battle rifle, only a DMR.
View Quote

Chinese Body Armor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Spear trickle down improvement -ambi bolt lock/release.

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a3db8ca85b9f26a85c601248a3f4f74b/p/m/pm400-switchblade-right-web_1.jpg
View Quote

Noticed that in an email this morning. Will be curious to see if Sig pushes the changes over to the Virtus/Rattler or potential "gen 3" MCX setup.

Would be awesome if the already made MCX lowers could be modified to accept the lever.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Noticed that in an email this morning. Will be curious to see if Sig pushes the changes over to the Virtus/Rattler or potential "gen 3" MCX setup.

Would be awesome if the already made MCX lowers could be modified to accept the lever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a3db8ca85b9f26a85c601248a3f4f74b/p/m/pm400-switchblade-right-web_1.jpg

Seems like basically a product improved version of the PDQ lever, which has been on the market for years. You can Dremel a regular receiver and add one to any AR compatible lower.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OccasionallyShot] [#20]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
It is essentially shooting a .270WSM from a sub 9 pound rifle. Only so much that can be done to make it not feel like it is shooting a .270WSM from a sub 9 pound rifle.
View Quote

Yeah, but with all those accessories and a loaded mag? It's gotta be at least 13-14lbs kitted out. You can tell they are struggling with the weight of the rifle...

The Spear is essentially a compact AR-10.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 6:25:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#21]
https://fb.watch/6_SXTxCvZQ/
SCAR H with 6.8 TVCM
It looks more stable than Spear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:
SCAR H with 6.8 TVCM
View Quote

Looks like the brake is doing what it's supposed to and the guy appears to be actually pulling the rifle back into his body.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By OccasionallyShot:

Yeah, but with all those accessories and a loaded mag? It's gotta be at least 13-14lbs kitted out. You can tell they are struggling with the weight of the rifle...

The Spear is essentially a compact AR-10.
View Quote

I can’t tell they are struggling with anything. That’s your perception. All those accessories and a loaded mag are going to be the same as if they were on another rifle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

I can't tell they are struggling with anything. That's your perception. All those accessories and a loaded mag are going to be the same as if they were on another rifle.
View Quote
Nawp, it's reality.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Compare it to the dude from TFB on the previous page, it doesn't look nearly as bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#25]
The wait is killing me...
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.sigsauer.com/media/sigsauer/resources/SIG-SAUER-DSG-Catalog-2021.pdf

Page 16 for the SPEAR.  I don't see anything new on it, but there's some neat stuff throughout the catalog.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#28]
View All Quotes

I almost doubled over laughing at the twitch in the face of the guy with the Kaiser Wilhelm mustache as soon as the YouTube dude started getting kicked around by the recoil and he leaned forward and just eyeballed him from the side. You could feel the judgment radiating from his glasses. "Someone is gonna watch this and say our gun has too much recoil."

I'd love to see that fired by someone who is used to banging out rapid fire .308 Win and semi-auto 12-gauge from a standing stance and actually knows how to take recoil and keep the gun on target. Dude gets bucked around firing 6.8 about as much as I do firing 3" magnum shells out of the M4 Super90.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

M17E, M18E?

What's the E? First time I've seen that
View Quote

From the photos it looks like they have the commercial style rear sight plate that is retained with two screws.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Frost7:
I'd love to see that fired by someone who is used to banging out rapid fire .308 Win and semi-auto 12-gauge from a standing stance and actually knows how to take recoil and keep the gun on target.
View Quote

Serious questions: What percentage of current combat arms MOS across all services fit that description? How about SOF? If they don't, how much ammo/time will it take to be proficient with the NGSW? Will that take away from the time for training necessary to reach or maintain proficiency in other critical skills?

I think the SPEAR is a neat rifle. I'd like to own one. But I wonder if anyone has those answers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:

Serious questions: What percentage of current combat arms MOS across all services fit that description? How about SOF? If they don't, how much ammo/time will it take to be proficient with the NGSW? Will that take away from the time for training necessary to reach or maintain proficiency in other critical skills?

I think the SPEAR is a neat rifle. I'd like to own one. But I wonder if anyone has those answers.
View All Quotes
I'd love to see that fired by someone who is used to banging out rapid fire .308 Win and semi-auto 12-gauge from a standing stance and actually knows how to take recoil and keep the gun on target.

Honestly, with enough ammo and a student eager to learn and intelligent enough to take instruction on form after each round of fire, I think you could get anyone managing the recoil of both of those pretty well inside a day. It's not rocket science, it's just the extra oomph of the larger round isn't so forgiving of horrible and inconsistent form like 5.56. Address that adequately and you're golden.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:
SCAR H with 6.8 TVCM
View Quote

I think that is 7.62x51 TV, not 6.8TVCM. But I could be wrong.

I hate to say it, but it seems like the bullpup has the lowest recoil. Due in part to the design of the action, and the lower pressure of the cartridge made possible by the long barrel and TVCM round.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know anything new? Any news update at all? Trivial anecdote, bored gossip...?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#34]
https://www.sigsauer.com/media/sigsauer/resources/SIG-SAUER-DSG-Catalog-2021.pdf

Page 16 for the SPEAR.  I don't see anything new on it, but there's some neat stuff throughout the catalog.
View Quote

What does the SIG 716i say "Assembled in U.S.A."? Don't see the label on any of the other offerings except that one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Honestly, with enough ammo and a student eager to learn and intelligent enough to take instruction on form after each round of fire, I think you could get anyone managing the recoil of both of those pretty well inside a day. It's not rocket science, it's just the extra oomph of the larger round isn't so forgiving of horrible and inconsistent form like 5.56. Address that adequately and you're golden.
View All Quotes

Offhand, stature definitely makes a difference. Little dude at 140 pounds will have a much harder time than a big corn-fed 220 mofo. You can compensate for the lesser weight, but a lightweight dude, or worse, the 120-130 chicks the woke tards want in infantry, won’t get the ammo, time, and training to be as proficient with a battle rifle as the bigger dudes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GrAvril:
Anyone know anything new? Any news update at all? Trivial anecdote, bored gossip...?
View Quote

Rumor has it if you already own a Virtus, TacOps, MPX you'll get a SPEAR for free.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Offhand, stature definitely makes a difference. Little dude at 140 pounds will have a much harder time than a big corn-fed 220 mofo. You can compensate for the lesser weight, but a lightweight dude, or worse, the 120-130 chicks the woke tards want in infantry, won’t get the ammo, time, and training to be as proficient with a battle rifle as the bigger dudes.
View Quote

I don't know, but I bet this sort of thing is documented in WWII regarding the proficiency of different sized soldiers using the M1 Garand.  I wonder if there's any documentation of the smaller soldiers gravitating to the M1 carbine vs the M1 Garand, if they had any choice in the matter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lordhuck:

I don't know, but I bet this sort of thing is documented in WWII regarding the proficiency of different sized soldiers using the M1 Garand.  I wonder if there's any documentation of the smaller soldiers gravitating to the M1 carbine vs the M1 Garand, if they had any choice in the matter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rb889:

I somehow doubt they had any proper documentation, but I’d wager quite a few liked the smaller, lighter, handier carbine with its detachable magazines.

There’s definitely plenty of documentation from Vietnam, when the M16 was replacing the M14, at least from the Air Force. Recoil, bulk, and weight are quite compelling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting that the 516 and piston driven 716 are still in the catalog but not for sale commercially.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
Interesting that the 516 and piston driven 716 are still in the catalog but not for sale commercially.
View Quote

Not terribly uncommon.  A lot of times companies will have contractual obligations to support items to government customers beyond their typical commercial availability.  Leupold Mark 4 scopes and the third generation SW automatics are examples of this.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Not terribly uncommon.  A lot of times companies will have contractual obligations to support items to government customers beyond their typical commercial availability.  Leupold Mark 4 scopes and the third generation SW automatics are examples of this.  

View All Quotes

But why not offer them commercially as well?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

It could be as simple as commercial distributors were not ordering in large enough quantities to justify offering a commercial SKU but LE and MIL were.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#43]

It could be as simple as commercial distributors were not ordering in large enough quantities to justify offering a commercial SKU but LE and MIL were.
View All Quotes

Sig will make just about anything for a large enough contract.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Task and Purpose videos and reviews are some of the worst bullshit reviews I have ever seen.
It’s like a bunch of 42A’s decided they wanted to bitch about everything Infantry (which they know nothing about) and started a website.
Just say’N
Cp
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Sig will make just about anything for a large enough contract.
View Quote

Hmmmm Colt anyone?

Cp
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lordhuck] [#48]

So the .277 sig fury and the 6.8 x 51 are not the same?  Or are they?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#50]

So the .277 sig fury and the 6.8 x 51 are not the same?  Or are they?
View Quote

My understanding is that 277 SIG FURY and 6.8x51mm Hybrid are the same cartridge.
Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 8 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top