BCM
User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 7 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By MudBug:

Originally Posted By raising_arizona:
It seems to be a silly paperwork game to me. From what I understand, you can still have multiple uppers, you just need to send an added note after you get your stamped form back stating that you are making changes to the configuration. They just tack it on to the application noting the changes.

Maybe the post office is in on this. More stamp revenue... hr

But then you have to have that configuration.

You build one in 9mm with a 7" barrel

Then send in the paperwork that you are changing it to a 10.5" 5.56

Now it's a 10.5" 5.56, if you want to use the 7" 9mm upper you have to send in the paperwork again to change it back.

At least that's my understanding.

So basically, you can't just switch as you want to.

Now would having it listed as a 10.5" 5.56, but also having the 7" 9mm in the house constitute a crime?

Sorry, I should have clarified this better. I was told to say in my letter that it may be configured with either a 7, 11.5, or 14.5" barrel. I think this basically leaves the options open for multiple barrels (which of course, is what people were doing previous to this hinking.gif). If I understand correctly, this should allow you to swap between them without having to tell the ATF. I think the same could be done for calibers too. Someone please chime in if you've heard otherwise.

I really want to make sure I'm doing this legally. Getting busted for a firearms violation is not what I want in my future.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Three questions not covered in the prior 11 pages:

1.  Re:  using a corp or LLC.  I have an LLC that, in the future, I will use for real estate but I am currently not using for anything now.  The mailing address is my medical office address.  Is it going to be a prob that my mailing address is not my home address?  Form 1 just lists 'mailing address'.  Also, I apparently need to send in my articles of organization which is I don't know what- I have an acknowledgment letter from the state and a copy of my original application for my LLC- is that it?

2.  If I have a couple of full length AR's laying around, and I have one lower registered as an SBR but a couple upper SBR assemblies in different calibers, lengths, etc, could/would that be construed as constructive posession of multiple SBR's?

3.  Do I have to wait for the form 1 to come back before I get the lower engraved?  It would seem that anyone could engrave their name and town of residence on a receiver just for identification reasons without actually manufacturing an SBR or MG....

thanks in advance.

ps great thread

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Eyegun:
Three questions not covered in the prior 11 pages:

1.  Re:  using a corp or LLC.  I have an LLC that, in the future, I will use for real estate but I am currently not using for anything now.  The mailing address is my medical office address.  Is it going to be a prob that my mailing address is not my home address?  Form 1 just lists 'mailing address'.  Also, I apparently need to send in my articles of organization which is I don't know what- I have an acknowledgment letter from the state and a copy of my original application for my LLC- is that it?

2.  If I have a couple of full length AR's laying around, and I have one lower registered as an SBR but a couple upper SBR assemblies in different calibers, lengths, etc, could/would that be construed as constructive posession of multiple SBR's?

3.  Do I have to wait for the form 1 to come back before I get the lower engraved?  It would seem that anyone could engrave their name and town of residence on a receiver just for identification reasons without actually manufacturing an SBR or MG....

thanks in advance.

ps great thread

I got your e-mail....  I am not trying to be the only resource for info on this as there are guys in this thread that know way more then I do on this...  But, here are my suggestions to your questions.

1.  If the Corp owns he Form 1 then you need to use the LEGAL address of the Corp!  Your Articles Of Incorporation are the documents filed with your state when you started the corp.  Mine say "Articles Of Incorporation"

2.  I am not a lawyer and I don't like playing one on the internet...  still, if you have a legal and legitimate use for a piece of property I would be hard pressed to think any court would convict you on having spare uppers for your legal SBR.  also, perhaps you were blanning to buy or build an Pistol?  

3.  You could engrave extra information even if you had no plans on making a SBR.  You just can not alter or hide the original manufacturer markings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks QB, didn't want to exclude other viewpoints by asking you directly but I got no response after a couple of days and I'm ready to send the papers in.  Also, I think you originated the thread...

I think I'll try one SBR via corp route and one via Individual.  CLEO is no prob out here but going the corp route would be less paperwork and it seems those apps might go through quicker.

Any other views are appreciated, esp re the Corp route.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Gunner] [#5]
Does anyone know if you can go ahead and mark a lower with your name city and state before you send in your paperwork Form 1 to SBR?

Reason I ask is Steve Sawyer is marking lowers for a Viriginia group buy and the lower will already be with Steve in the engraving machine and I want him to go ahead and additionally mark it with my required info, but I can't start the paperwork cause the lower hasn't gotten to me yet with the serial number to do the Form 1

There shouldn't be anything wrong with marking any lower before you start paperwork right?  Marking any lower with the required info doesn't mean it is an SBR or in the registry, right?  

Answer received: You can mark anything on a lower at any time.....just not remove some things such as SBR markings without permission once you do SBR it if you choose to do that later on
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:16:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#6]
o
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#8]
o
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Does getting an FFL simplify anything?  Or is it still simpler to do the forms route?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:08:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#12]
o
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:58:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#13]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I got my name stamped on mine just to make sure. Lets see $1500 fire arm $200 tax, why would I go cheap now and not pay the $20 -$30 to get it engraved.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#15]

Originally Posted By likemopar:

Originally Posted By danpass:
Does getting an FFL simplify anything?  Or is it still simpler to do the forms route?

No, unless you become a 07 manufacturer with a SOT.
As a manufacturer you register the SBR on a form two within 24 hours of manufacturer instead of filing a form one and waiting for approval before making the SBR.
01 FFL's (dealers) must go through the same form one process as an individual.

Thanks for the info.  btw regarding the .gov, just what EXACTLY IS THE BIG DEAL about having an SBR?  Why is it such a hassle to get/have one?  hastotally defeats the purpose.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My Form 1 that was just approved on 9/21/05 has "None" in block 4.h.  This block is for "Additional Description (Include all numbers and other identifying data which will appear on the firearm."  To me, none means NONE.  If I add other identifying information like my name, City & State, it will not be marked in accordance with my Form 1.  That's the way it was approved & I don't think I should do anything differently.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#17]
o
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]

firearm must be correctly marked per 479.102 to match the form one

Exactly.  If that means it's a firearm that Bushmaster made, you put that information down in box 4a and serial number in box 4g.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#19]
o
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, all I will add is the few different people I have talked to at the NFA office have ALL said the firearm must be engraved with YOUR info just as Steve (likemopar) has stated. I also didn't like the idea of having to engrave my lower but after looking into this and talking with the NFA I decided to do what they said. and have the lower engraved. Good luck to all who choose not to engrave their lowers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#23]
o
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
boomfab, great idea. It would seem to many of us that if you called the NFA 10 times and spoke with 10 different people you could possible get 10 different answers. Please keep us informed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: likemopar] [#25]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#26]
o
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#27]
o
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#28]
o
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been following this thread for awhile, since I'm having some confusion about the barrel length issue. I spoke with my inspector awhile ago specifically regarding the engraving issue. He told me that I didn't have to engrave my name and city on it since Bushmaster was already engraved in it. Sorry to add to the confusion. h
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I asked my examiner if I had to mark my AR15 lower with my personal info and this is his emailed response back (examiner Rob Howard):Yes, 179.02, Each manufacturer, Importer, or maker of a firearm shall legibly identify it by engraving, casting, stamping (impressed), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved placed on the frame or receiver. Placed in a location were it is not readily obliterated, altered or removed.    

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Couple questions:

I've seen answers here, then seen the answers contradicted.

OAL: measured with stock extended, correct? My 11.5 measures roughly 30" with stock extended.

Caliber and barrel length: List one caliber and one length, then put additional calibers and barrel lengths in "additional comments" section, or do we send in a separate letter for that?

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to my first SBR.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure if this relates to SBR or not, but usually its best to state the OAL with regards to any legal issues as the shortest OAL the rifle is capable of (e.g. with stock collapsed), to make sure it at least meets the minimum OAL by law.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By TXAGGIECCL:
I'm not sure if this relates to SBR or not, but usually its best to state the OAL with regards to any legal issues as the shortest OAL the rifle is capable of (e.g. with stock collapsed), to make sure it at least meets the minimum OAL by law.

That would seem to make a lot of sense but that is not what the examiner wants on your form. They want the exact length your weapon is going to be at the time you submitted your form. That is the reason most examiners no longer take ranges in lengths versus actual lengths in the barrel and OA length categories.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
People talk about submitting the Form 1 with it printed on both sides of the page, the form is 4 pages, but information is only put on pages 1 and 2, do I need to submit all 4 pages (2 per side so 2 sheets of paper) or only pages 1 and 2 (1 sheet of paper doublesided).

Second where and what is this citizenship form I need to submit?  This is for an SBR, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#35]
For the Form 1, only fill out & send pages 1 & 2 (on a single, two sided sheet).  No need to send the instructions.

Citizenship form is called Certificate of Compliance - it's here:
www.titleii.com/pdf/5330-20.pdf
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 10:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: watersniper] [#36]
OH crap, the sheriff's office just used FBI form FD-249 for my fingerprints, and it has the SO ORI # and address.    I take it since this is not FBI Form 258 I should scrap it, even if I changed the address to the ATF?

They said this was the only FBI card they had on hand, the rest were state forms...

funny thing was I did my own prints while the deputy just watched me and talked about the job.  I still had to pay.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I am not sure what the differences are in the cards but you need to use the correct ones or risk adding time to your already long wait.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By watersniper:
OH crap, the sheriff's office just used FBI form FD-249 for my fingerprints, and it has the SO ORI # and address.    I take it since this is not FBI Form 258 I should scrap it, even if I changed the address to the ATF?

They said this was the only FBI card they had on hand, the rest were state forms...

funny thing was I did my own prints while the deputy just watched me and talked about the job.  I still had to pay.

I would go to the batfe site and order them on line.  They will send them to you for free and you should get them within a week.  You do not want to use the wrong cards, unless you want to add time to the process.  I made the mistake of using the fbi258d's that my local PD had and the ori was their address not the nfa-atf.  I had the cards returned with new correct cards to be re-fingerprinted.  I was lucky in that my examiner Rob Howard processed my paperwork within 2 days of receiving the correct cards back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmwguy] [#39]
Okay, I have a question on the Fingerprint card, there are 4 different type on the website, which one are we suppose to use for SBR, I'm thinking the 258LE-NFA but I wanted to make sure.

FBI FD-258FA - FFL Application ORI GAATF0100

FBI FD-258EX - Explosives Applications ORI GAATF9900

FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI DCATF0100

FBI FD-258DIS - Relief From Disability ORI DCATF0000

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I beleive it's teh LE card (NFA,) that you'll need.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 9:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: watersniper] [#41]

Originally Posted By MisterPX:

Hope so because that's what I ordered

[sarcasm]I did a nice job on my prints the last time, I can't wait to pay the sheriff again so I can do my own prints once more...[/sarcasm]

If I got ahold of some fingerprint ink from work what's to stop me from just doing it myself?  I don't think the sheriff deputy printing you has to do anything to the fingerprint card itself?  I mean no signatures or anything?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
What address do Form 1s go to now, still the DC address listen on the titleii.com site, or some other address since they moved to WV?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By rtr:
What address do Form 1s go to now, still the DC address listen on the titleii.com site, or some other address since they moved to WV?  Thanks.

They still go to Washington, DC
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I ordered FBI FD-258FA - FFL Application ORI GAATF0100
Had prints done then noticed ORI was Atlanta Ga.
Called ATF in Wash. they told me I could change it.
It has to be DCATF0100 ATF-NFA WASHINGTON , DC
I changed mine paper work took two months to get together
and sheriff only prints on thur morn.
Will see what happens ,its going to be a long winters wait no matter.

Called this number 703-455-7801 ordered the correct cards
came 4 days latter got extras just in case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a warm-fuzzy for all those waiting on their approvals for form1s...

I received my cancelled stamp and approved form in the mail tonight. Took almost exactly 3 months from mailbox to mailbox. That includes a re-submit because they wanted me to put exact barrel lengths on the form.  I WAS approved for multiple calibers (9mm, .22LR and 5.56).  Seems WV is the place to be.

My little silenced 9mm subgun (with 5" bbl) project is under way!!

rvb
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By boomfab:
I just got off the phone with the head NFA office in DC.  They said I do NOT legally have to mark the receiver in any way.  

They told me to write them for written confirmation of this.  I am putting the letter in the mail tomorrow.

If they answer it, the truth will be clear as mud.

www.boomslang.us/images/nfaletter.JPG

Any update?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By watersniper:

Originally Posted By MisterPX:

Hope so because that's what I ordered

[sarcasm]I did a nice job on my prints the last time, I can't wait to pay the sheriff again so I can do my own prints once more...[/sarcasm]

If I got ahold of some fingerprint ink from work what's to stop me from just doing it myself?  I don't think the sheriff deputy printing you has to do anything to the fingerprint card itself?  I mean no signatures or anything?

WOW pretty quick, the cards arrived today.  I'm off tomorrow to get the prints done then mail off my Form 1!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Will an LLC work or do you have to be incorporated to go the corporate route?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By mattb_6:
Will an LLC work or do you have to be incorporated to go the corporate route?

An LLC will work, I've done several through my LLC.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boomfab] [#50]
o
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 7 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top