Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 48 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
So market research question for the crowd.  Is there a market for Rhodesian Brushstroke and / or WW2 German Splinter camo modern belt kits?  I can get ahold of some fabric in those patterns and am thinking of whipping up some belt kits to test the market and / or belt kit style MOLLE pouches  (ammo, british utility pouches that are sized to fit nalgene bottles to double as water bottle pouches, and / or us style buttpacks, I have patterns and prototypes done for all of those).  But I don't want to go to the trouble of getting ahold of the fabric if there isn't demand.

I'm finally getting to the point where I can put out quality enough work I don't feel bad charging for it.  Figured this would be a fun project to start with.

And yes, those surplus belt kits will be going up for sale here soon.  I've been dragging my feet getting paypal set up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
So market research question for the crowd.  Is there a market for Rhodesian Brushstroke and / or WW2 German Splinter camo modern belt kits?  I can get ahold of some fabric in those patterns and am thinking of whipping up some belt kits to test the market and / or belt kit style MOLLE pouches  (ammo, british utility pouches that are sized to fit nalgene bottles to double as water bottle pouches, and / or us style buttpacks, I have patterns and prototypes done for all of those).  But I don't want to go to the trouble of getting ahold of the fabric if there isn't demand.

I'm finally getting to the point where I can put out quality enough work I don't feel bad charging for it.  Figured this would be a fun project to start with.

And yes, those surplus belt kits will be going up for sale here soon.  I've been dragging my feet getting paypal set up.
View Quote

Depending on the type of belt kit Id buy some  Rhodesian Brushstroke just to trigger certain folks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Horned_Toad:
Depending on the type of belt kit Id buy some  Rhodesian Brushstroke just to trigger certain folks!
View Quote

It'd be a modern british style belt kit, wide belt, 8 point harness (I could do 6 too, but why), with 4 x utility pouches or 2 x utility pouches and a US style buttpack all sewn on.  I can do matching ammo pouches, either sewn on or with molle backing / molle attachment on the belt itself.  The ammo pouches are regular 3 x AR mag pouches, 4 of them in total, 2 on each side.  Though I guess I can work up a pattern for AK magazines if someone absolutely has to have one.  I only have one for AR pouches done up right now.  Fastex closures on all the pouches.

I'm probably going to have one prototyped for myself later this week.  The culmination of months of prototyping belts, harnesses, various pouches, etc.  Finally all coming together to put together a complete all-sewn on belt kit for myself.

It's probably going to end up being the most expensive belt kit ever made, considering I've made over a dozen belts and harnesses and a dozen or so pouches in various forms to get it all done just right.  Much less the new sewing machine and such.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, like I had mentioned, there WERE a half dozen different Russian companies making SMERSH rigs of various quality - most regular SMERSH quality, one or two of them were quite nice and even had some more modern updates, like wide molle belts - and a few more were really crap, like Condor level crap, but with Russia  QC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yea, like I had mentioned, there WERE a half dozen different Russian companies making SMERSH rigs of various quality - most regular SMERSH quality, one or two of them were quite nice and even had some more modern updates, like wide molle belts - and a few more were really crap, like Condor level crap, but with Russia  QC.

The primary recognized manufacturer was SSO/SPOSN, but that still doesn't shed any light on materials.

Varusteleka use to sell their Smersh kits, and their humor even addressed some of the uncertainty of material sourcing

The material is strong poly-nylon-whatever, thick, dense, and very wear-resistant.

Call me lucky, but mine is quite solid, it's just a very retarded design of straps and weird pouch installment. It's like a drunk engineer wanted to prove himself to all his Spetsnaz buddies by designing a modular combat kit meant to baffle them and their egos keeping them from telling him he's drunk and stupid  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

The primary recognized manufacturer was SSO/SPOSN, but that still doesn't shed any light on materials.

Varusteleka use to sell their Smersh kits, and their humor even addressed some of the uncertainty of material sourcing

Call me lucky, but mine is quite solid, it's just a very retarded design of straps and weird pouch installment. It's like a drunk engineer wanted to prove himself to all his Spetsnaz buddies by designing a modular combat kit meant to baffle them and their egos keeping them from telling him he's drunk and stupid  

ROCK6
View Quote

To be fair, the basic design IS at least 30 years old.  The equivalent of ALICE gear, circa 2000.

It's also probably alot cheaper to make that way, and with less skilled labor, than the newer British stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]

By popular demand, I took a break from working outside, and ran upstairs to my storage room to make a video.  Sorry, but since I had to hold my camera in one hand, you will have to deal with my crap quality video of me unpacking the buttpack one handed instead of packing it.

I didn't have everything I normally have in there, so I threw a regular sized Nalgene bottle in there to show you how much room you have in there.  In the video, I have my thinsulate poncho liner, a regular poncho, not even my nice one, which is smaller, the nalgene bottle, cleaning rod and such, small oiler container, and a lens pen.  

You can see there is enough room to fit a pair of socks, emergency rations, and a few other things in there without overstuffing the buttpack.

Also at the bottom is a picture of the buttpack closed and a picture of the poncho label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LMYQMowis

https://i.ibb.co/7rvchxC/0121241359.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/85x1hNc/0121241402.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the video!  Really wish I got in on those Thinsulate liners back in the day but 15 year-olds didn't have credit cards,  ya know?  

Guess I'll have to find a butt pack and give it a shot.  I'm going off memory on the size of them (also 30 years ago).  Like I said,  I've got the newer stuff, including the new USMC woobie and even a Weebie from Kifaru.  

Diz, I use those damn blousing springs at work, they give a better look than the silly elastic bands.  Though I have hooked my finger once or twice,  that's always a blast
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Well you know it's RUSSIAN; no further explanation needed, nyet?

You gotta laugh becasue to us the light weight, possibly shoddy material is a minus, but to JSOC studs, that's what they wanted when they sepc'd out all that light weight 330 shit back in the day.  Terrain and situation.  Back then we were all like 1,000D bombproof baby, until you tried to maneuver in all that heavy shit.  I still prefer a heavier 1,000D but we went with 500d just for this reason; to keep the rig as light as possible.   A JJ's commander's rig, with all the same pouches, is heavier than a DZ rig.  And that's a choice you make.  

The SMERSH rig is probably lighter than a Diz rig.  And that's also a choice you make.  Tovarich.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Thanks for the video!  Really wish I got in on those Thinsulate liners back in the day but 15 year-olds didn't have credit cards,  ya know?  

Guess I'll have to find a butt pack and give it a shot.  I'm going off memory on the size of them (also 30 years ago).  Like I said,  I've got the newer stuff, including the new USMC woobie and even a Weebie from Kifaru.  

Diz, I use those damn blousing springs at work, they give a better look than the silly elastic bands.  Though I have hooked my finger once or twice,  that's always a blast
View Quote

A weebie is something different
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got my DZ rig shipping notice. Woot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I don't need it but I would be compelled to buy some pouches in WWII splinter. I've been trying to source that pattern in cordura for some projects since it's my absolute favorite pattern.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
FireForce Ventures offers kit in Brushstroke - not the style I want pouch-wise, but it's out there. If Crossfire made a DZ Rig in brushstroke I'd buy it but probably not a different type of rig:
https://www.fireforceventures.com/Lightfighter-Rig--Rhodesian-Brushstroke-_p_1369.html
https://www.fireforceventures.com/3WIDE-Classic-Pouch--Rhodesian-Brushstroke_p_1370.html
https://www.fireforceventures.com/2WIDE-Classic-Pouch--Rhodesian-Brushstroke-_p_1371.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Right on, we are looking at some different patts guys might want.

Yeah man we spent the whole morning shipping out Diz rigs.  First 50 or so are out.

Will repeat tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Diz:
The SMERSH rig is probably lighter than a Diz rig.  And that's also a choice you make.  Tovarich.
View Quote

I don't know about that. I will have to unload my Smersh and my JayJay's (sewn pouches), but I can almost guarantee your Diz Rig is lighter than the Smersh if it's like the JayJay's rig.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]

It'd be a modern british style belt kit, wide belt, 8 point harness (I could do 6 too, but why), with 4 x utility pouches or 2 x utility pouches and a US style buttpack all sewn on.  I can do matching ammo pouches, either sewn on or with molle backing / molle attachment on the belt itself.  The ammo pouches are regular 3 x AR mag pouches, 4 of them in total, 2 on each side.  Though I guess I can work up a pattern for AK magazines if someone absolutely has to have one.  I only have one for AR pouches done up right now.  Fastex closures on all the pouches.

I'm probably going to have one prototyped for myself later this week.  The culmination of months of prototyping belts, harnesses, various pouches, etc.  Finally all coming together to put together a complete all-sewn on belt kit for myself.

It's probably going to end up being the most expensive belt kit ever made, considering I've made over a dozen belts and harnesses and a dozen or so pouches in various forms to get it all done just right.  Much less the new sewing machine and such.

View All Quotes

I’d be interested in Some triple mag pouches for 40rd pmags, which coincidentally are also just a hair longer than ak mags.

Maybe with an elastic sleeve like a ten speed mag pouch directly sewn to the side for a fast mag type thing.

I just really like 40rd pmags but trying to find pouches is a pain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

A weebie is something different
View Quote

I know!  They're so cute and little.

Of course, I'm a whopping 5'6".   They're a bit more like a 2/3-size woobie, not a half-size woobie

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Of course, I'm a whopping 5'6".   They're a bit more like a 2/3-size woobie, not a half-size woobie

View Quote

Oh sheesh, too funny. I didn't even realize there was an actual Weebie!

I was just thinking it was a typo and was thinking if the derogatory term 'weeb'
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Que?!  Pics please.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I got mine when I was 15, along with a poncho   :-D   I got my mom to fill out a check for me to send to them, oldschool style.  Wanted them to go with my set of ALICE gear and my ALICE pack.  Ya know.  Because.  

You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent regular MOLLE buttpack.  The last company making them went out of business.  I'm going to be doing a few to put for sale here in a bit though.  What camo do you want, I'll make one up and post pics.  If you like it, buy it then.  Right now I have woodland and multicam and coyote.  I'm GOING to be getting a few yards of rhodie and maybe splinter too.  Make a set of beltkit out of each of those to test the waters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Well you know it's RUSSIAN; no further explanation needed, nyet?
View Quote

That's what I was hinting at   :-D

Russia gear is both really good and really bad.  At the same time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Vexed:

I don't need it but I would be compelled to buy some pouches in WWII splinter. I've been trying to source that pattern in cordura for some projects since it's my absolute favorite pattern.
View Quote

What kind of pouches?  I might be able to do them.  I can send you some fabric with them too, if you let me know how much you want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

I’d be interested in Some triple mag pouches for 40rd pmags, which coincidentally are also just a hair longer than ak mags.

Maybe with an elastic sleeve like a ten speed mag pouch directly sewn to the side for a fast mag type thing.

View Quote

I don't have any 40 round pmags sitting around.  If you sent me 3 of them to use in a prototype, I'll just design my AK mag pouch to fit the 40 round pmags at the same time  (I'll send you the mags back with the pouches).  I have prototyping a triple AK mag on my to-do list already, might as well make it for 40 round pmags too.  Hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I don't know if they make them anymore, but they used to make a weebie or whatever they're called, with a hood and hole and with straps to run like a poncho / jacket.  I've got one of those.  The HPG serape has replaced it, now I use it mostly as an emergency winter jacket if I'm out and about and have my daypack with me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The nicest thing is the Helium Whisper fabric as it doesn't absorb any water at all, made for jungle and wet environments.
View Quote
^ This

I hated every MINUTE in the jungles but this, had my attention.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
^ This

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
The nicest thing is the Helium Whisper fabric as it doesn't absorb any water at all, made for jungle and wet environments.
^ This

Yup.  The fabric is interesting.  (I have 3 of their ammo pouches on my main rig right now) but there are pros and cons.  There is little to no structure for instance.  In some uses, I can see it totally being used.  Maybe a buttpack made out of it.  I think I said it on here, I'd like to see more development done with this material, see what long-term durable uses that we can come up with.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
And that was my problem with the VelSys design; it had no ass to it.  For what you were paying, it didn't have enough stiffness.  And using two different materials on the top flaps made them tend to fold inward and be fiddly to close.  

The shedding water thing was it's best feature.  Maybe you need to laminate thicker stuff.  Helium whisper was a product of the G-WOT with PC's and battle belts.  We really don't know how it would hold up in the jungle.  Or deep woods for that matter.  I don't think you can just take the materials and designs from one application and just apply them across the board for another.  

Also, the guys who got Helium Whisper gear issued got new stuff every deployment.  Durability was not an issue with them.  

Now there are newer laminates that are much thicker, so yeah that might be worth experimenting with.  But Helium Whisper?  Dunno until I get some info on them from jungle deployments.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#26]
*super tempted to post a video of me unpacking and repacking my buttpack silently just to troll*

Seriously though.  I'm not using a stock woobie.  Or poncho.  
View Quote

You need to

I can get the Swagman roll stuffed into a compression bag pretty small. My smallest is a dri-down quilt (in camo!) that I use for warm weather hammock backpacking. If you want to spend even more, you can get a camo Dyneema fabric trap that will compress very small as well. Now, the issue is that most of those are not items I would want to push with harsh conditions, mild abuse, and roll around in the mud with...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]
OK 50 or so more Diz rigs out this morning.  Should have everybody shipped by tomorrow.

So AK guys, working on AK pouches now.  Going off MagPul 30-rdrs; should that be GTG?  Also anyone still rocking 5.45 or is that just too hard to sustain right now?  Are there any bigger/40-rd mags in common use?

On 7.62 NATO, you guys good with 20-rdrs or do you need stretch for 25-rdrs?

On 5.56 NATO, you guys really want a 40-rdr?  

I can make this all happen, just adds to complexity and cost.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]

You need to

I can get the Swagman roll stuffed into a compression bag pretty small. My smallest is a dri-down quilt (in camo!) that I use for warm weather hammock backpacking. If you want to spend even more, you can get a camo Dyneema fabric trap that will compress very small as well. Now, the issue is that most of those are not items I would want to push with harsh conditions, mild abuse, and roll around in the mud with...

ROCK6
View Quote

I actually posted one up above somewhere.

As for tarps, a sil-nylon tarp is a minimum for durability I'd want.  You can get mini-tarps, like 5' x 7' that will pack down smaller than a baseball, as in, almost the size of an egg small.  

Those cuben fiber and dyneema tarps are just too flimsy.  They don't have good abrasion resistance.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
OK 50 or so more Diz rigs out this morning.  Should have everybody shipped by tomorrow.

So AK guys, working on AK pouches now.  Going off MagPul 30-rdrs; should that be GTG?  Also anyone still rocking 5.45 or is that just too hard to sustain right now?  Are there any bigger/40-rd mags in common use?

View Quote

Design them for Bulgarian Circle 10 Waffle 7.62x39mm magazines.  I don't have a magpul mag, but I THINK the Bulgarian mags are the biggest 30 round mags around.  Also the best magazines around.  

I've never had a problem fitting 5.45mm magazines into 7.62x39mm pouches.  I'd just design the pouch around the bigger magazine, cut down on complexity and cost.  I'd also consider doing what I mentioned above and design the lid to be slightly taller so as to fit 40 round AR P-mags in them.  It won't be the BEST option for 40 round P-mags, but it will work better than nothing.

As for 40 round AK magazines, I know the whole 'RPK style rifle' has gotten a bit more popular recently in certain segments of the gun world.  I have no idea how many 40 round magazines are out there though.  I'm pretty sure that will be a niche product, maybe even something better left to custom / small makers?

One thing you maybe would want to consider instead is a pouched designed to fit a D60.  That will probably be a better seller than the 40 round AK magazines.  Though, again, I don't know how many you could sell and I don't think the waste of space on a belt kit is worth it.

On a side note, someone needs to figure out a good way to carry those drum magazines and other drum magazines.  I have a buddy who wants me to help him design up a set of belt kit and general gear for an MG42, with one of the things being he wants to carry drum magazines for it as part of the kit.  I need to sit down and work out the details on the best way to carry that, and gear for the support gunner(s) too.  It was an interesting proposal.  He's wanting to go retro, but also modern, like, WW2 german kit, but modernized, kind of a modern homage.  He's even modding an old Finnish issued german helmet for NODS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#30]

View Quote
RE: 20-rd 7.62 NATO mags.  Vast majority of mags for M1A/FAL/H+K are 20-rd units, with H+K mags being a little greater in girth than M-14/M1A/FAL mags.  Magpul does not offer "Ranger Plates" for 7.62 NATO mags, which plates require extra vertical room, but does offer "Original Magpul" for 7.62 NATO mags.  Item collapses easily, but does require some additional vertical room.  Most likely a flexible top on mag pouch will allow this.  IOW, not likely to need extra room inside pouch unless pouch is made very tight in vertical dimension.  However, the "Original Magpul" device definitely adds some girth to the magazine, so a pouch that was "tight" horizontally might not be optimal--or even useable-- with "Original Magpul" items installed.

Various offerings of "Original Magpul" and "Ranger Plates" for many different mags can be seen HERE

Suggest making 20-rd 7.62 NATO mag pouches with sufficient internal height, and sufficient internal girth to accommodate flexible "Original Magpul" devices.  External bungee cord will make up for 7.62 NATO 20-rd mags without "Original Magpul" item installed, and the vertical height required by the "Original Magpul" "ought" not be a problem if that item is absent--I hope.  A closed call foam spacer in bottom of pouch is an easy DIY mod.

Folks with 7.62 NATO mags larger than 20 rds may have to wait until things calm down, and maybe a "Special/Multi Purpose" mag pouch can be designed, perhaps suitable for mags for many different firearms, and capable of carrying mags of different dimensions.  Likewise, folks with other "non-standard" capacity mags for other firearms.

Internally velcro-secured and vertically-adjusted mag pouch top may be an option, but you (Diz) certainly know more about this alternative than I do.

@Diz

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I would suggest using the 30rd Magpuls for your pattern for 7.62 AK mags. As another poster said, 5.45 mags will be a little loose in 7.62x39 pouches, but nothing too crazy. And I wouldn't try to mess around with a solution 40rd 7.62x39 or 45rd 5.45x39 mags. They're nowhere near as mainstream in the AK world as 30rd mags. There are probably 100 AKM/AK74s for every RPK in the US and if an AK gunner wants a bigun' they can run that in the gun and then reload with 30s. A pouch that holds 40/45rd AK mags would be crazy tall. I think the user would have to drop the belt kit really low to fish them out, thereby losing the pack shelf, or having the pouches lowered to maintain a good draw angle, making the mag pouches rub against your legs and/or make taking a knee more difficult.

And I'd say 25rd 7.62 PMAGs for your battle rifle bros. The pouches that can hold the 25s can hold the 20s, they won't be that much taller, and if you're running fast enough for the 20s to bounce up and down, you're already making more noise than the mags bouncing around in the pouch.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By raf:
RE: 20-rd 7.62 NATO mags.  Vast majority of mags for M1A/FAL/H+K are 20-rd units, with H+K mags being a little greater in girth than M-14/M1A/FAL mags.  Magpul does not offer "Ranger Plates" for 7.62 NATO mags, which plates require extra vertical room, but does offer "Original Magpul" for 7.62 NATO mags.  Item collapses easily, but does require some additional vertical room.  Most likely a flexible top on mag pouch will allow this.  IOW, not likely to need extra room inside pouch unless pouch is made very tight in vertical dimension.  However, the "Original Magpul" device definitely adds some girth to the magazine, so a pouch that was "tight" horizontally might not be optimal--or even useable-- with "Original Magpul" items installed.

Various offerings of "Original Magpul" and "Ranger Plates" for many different mags can be seen HERE

Suggest making 20-rd 7.62 NATO mag pouches with sufficient internal height, and sufficient internal girth to accommodate flexible "Original Magpul" devices.  External bungee cord will make up for 7.62 NATO 20-rd mags without "Original Magpul" item installed, and the vertical height required by the "Original Magpul" "ought" not be a problem if that item is absent--I hope.  A closed call foam spacer in bottom of pouch is an easy DIY mod.

Folks with 7.62 NATO mags larger than 20 rds may have to wait until things calm down, and maybe a "Special/Multi Purpose" mag pouch can be designed, perhaps suitable for mags for many different firearms, and capable of carrying mags of different dimensions.  Likewise, folks with other "non-standard" capacity mags for other firearms.

Internally velcro-secured and vertically-adjusted mag pouch top may be an option, but you (Diz) certainly know more about this alternative than I do.

@Diz
View Quote

Yea, I almost mentioned the idea of selling pre-cut closed cell foam magazine pouch adapters to go into the bottom of various magazine pouches to fix height issues.  These actually might be decent sellers for other company's pouches too.  Then you could make 25 round .308 magazine pouches and they'd work for everyone with 20's too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#33]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
There are probably 100 AKM/AK74s for every RPK in the US
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
There are probably 100 AKM/AK74s for every RPK in the US

500:1

Originally Posted By towerofpower94:A pouch that holds 40/45rd AK mags would be crazy tall. I think the user would have to drop the belt kit really low to fish them out, thereby losing the pack shelf, or having the pouches lowered to maintain a good draw angle, making the mag pouches rub against your legs and/or make taking a knee more difficult.

You can run the front ammo pouch up taller than normal to make up for the extra room.  IE, the bottom of the pouch is the same height as a normal magazine pouch or close, but the top rides higher.  Maybe tilt it forward 5 or 10 degrees, I dunno, you'd have to look at body mechanics on that.  Some of the belt fed LBE and other LBE's in the past have done this.  You might even be able to do this with both ammo pouches on each side.  

Here's a picture of WW2 German STG-44 magazine pouches - STG-44 magazines are longer than regular AK magazines.  They have 3 on each side.  You could cut that down to 2 pouches and run the pouches up a little higher than the canteens / utility pouches / buttpack that is on the shelf. I think you could make it work.  It's probably have to be permanently attached, or even a custom belt to make it work, but I think it's doable.   EDIT:  Notice the canvas webbing second belt strap coming out from under the magazine pouch, wrapping around his back?  That would be easy to duplicate, tying it into the side-rear part of the harness.  You could do the same across the front, a 1" piece of webbing with a 2nd buckle that closes up front, above the regular belt buckle.

Originally Posted By towerofpower94:And I'd say 25rd 7.62 PMAGs for your battle rifle bros. The pouches that can hold the 25s can hold the 20s, they won't be that much taller, and if you're running fast enough for the 20s to bounce up and down, you're already making more noise than the mags bouncing around in the pouch.

This.

I'd just stick to 3 x pouch choices.  Well, 4.  30 Round AR pouches.  30 Round 'generic' AK pouches  (AK-47, but that also fit AK-74 magazines)  And 25 round .308 magazines.  Sell a closed cell insert for it for 20's.

And then sell a SAW / belt fed / admin pouch.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#34]

Yea, I almost mentioned the idea of selling pre-cut closed cell foam magazine pouch adapters to go into the bottom of various magazine pouches to fix height issues.  These actually might be decent sellers for other company's pouches too.  Then you could make 25 round .308 magazine pouches and they'd work for everyone with 20's too.
View Quote
Pre-cut, including appropriate holes for drain grommets in pouches.  No sense clogging the drains with the optional foam inserts.

Some rare pouches are made with alternative pouch drainage, but vast majority use drain grommets.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Pre-cut, including appropriate holes for drain grommets in pouches.  No sense clogging the drains with the optional foam inserts.

Some rare pouches are made with alternative pouch drainage, but vast majority use drain grommets.

View Quote

agreed.  That'd be easy to do though - just run some 1/4" channels on each side and the bottom of the foam.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#36]

agreed.  That'd be easy to do though - just run some 1/4" channels on each side and the bottom of the foam.
View All Quotes

I've had occasion to "reconfigure" some USGI MOLLE pouches for use as "clip" carriers for M1 Garand rifles.

Depending on pouch chosen, either 40mm Grenade pouch or Frag grenade pouch, some sort of closed cell foam insert may be needed.  Not only for the dimensions of the different pouches, but also if one is using longer .30-'06 ctgs vice shorter 7.62 NATO ctgs.  Foam insert often needed for shorter 7.62 NATO ctg vice .30-'06 ctg.

I have dedicated M1 clip pouches from FMCO, Olongapo Outfitters, and my own items which were made from USGI Frag pouches.  Latter can benefit from user-installed closed cell foam bottom items depending on type of ammo used, with "platforms" useful with shorter 7.62 NATO.

I made a post about this long ago.  FWIW, prefer MOLLE Frag pouch with some E-Z internal velcro One-Wrap to secure secondary M-1 clip.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had occasion to "reconfigure" some USGI MOLLE pouches for use as "clip" carriers for M1 Garand rifles.

Depending on pouch chosen, either 40mm Grenade pouch or Frag grenade pouch, some sort of closed cell foam insert may be needed.  Not only for the dimensions of the different pouches, but also if one is using longer .30-'06 ctgs vice shorter 7.62 NATO ctgs.

I made a post about this long ago.
View Quote

Yup, I remember discussing various options to mess with for clips and such.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#38]
@diz

25 round 7.62 mag pouches can be adapted easily for 20 round magazine owners to use.

The opposite can not be said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Roger that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Definitely use 7.62 ak mags as a model, they should be about the size of any other poly mag out there.

A 40rd ar15 Pmag is  about .25-.5 inches taller than a 30 ed ak mag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#41]

I don't have any 40 round pmags sitting around.  If you sent me 3 of them to use in a prototype, I'll just design my AK mag pouch to fit the 40 round pmags at the same time  (I'll send you the mags back with the pouches).  I have prototyping a triple AK mag on my to-do list already, might as well make it for 40 round pmags too.  Hadn't thought of that.
View All Quotes

Pm me your info and ill hook you up. For science.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
@diz

25 round 7.62 mag pouches can be adapted easily for 20 round magazine owners to use.

The opposite can not be said.
View Quote

This, go for 25, then no issue fitting 20s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Pm me your info and ill hook you up. For science.
View Quote

Message sent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#44]
YESSSSSSSSSS!
UPS has my rig out for delivery.

UPDATE: 14:30
Have unpacked the kit and BOY is it fucking outstanding! Not one stitch out of place or crooked. Not one Irish Pennant ANYWHERE on it.

Initial great news for everyone running 25 round 7.62 NATO P-mags. Two of them fit perfectly in the mag pouches even with the dust covers installed and loaded they do not even bounce around when adjusted properly.

Second great news for anyone with the Self Reliance Outfitters 39oz Wide-mouth Canteen Campfire Survival Cooking Kit. The canteen, Nesting cup, stove, lid, and a pair of leather gloves and some of the other little bits fit in each of the 2 canteen pouches and are exactly the same height as the mag pouches with the 25 rounders in them. Ruck will ride on  top of them just fine.
So one pouch with the whole canteen set, gloves etc. and the other pouch with another canteen and some other items of your choice are GTG.

The middle back pouch is larger than I had thought and I have not started moving and trying different things in there yet, but I will be able to get necessities and wants in there just fine.

The only thing I have noticed so far is that I will have to change out the adjustment sliders on the front straps as they are more of a semi permanent adjustment once you get your fitment correct. I will put quick adjust buckles on so I can more easily get into and out of the rig. That's just me though.

As I am very particular about the quality of products VS the amount of my money spent, I can say categorically that you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

I will take pictures of it in use and itemize the gear I will be carrying in when I have went through all the trial and error of what fits where and how well it carries.

Extremely well done, diz and Crossfire!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Those cuben fiber and dyneema tarps are just too flimsy.  They don't have good abrasion resistance.  

View Quote

I’m going to respectfully disagree. You can poke a hole in it, you can’t hardly tear it. If something does put a hole in it, duct tape sticks to it. Duct tape doesn’t stick to sylnylon.  After sleeping under a poncho, a 10x8.5 cat cut tarp is a Hilton. IIRC mine with cords and carbon fiber poles is still under a pound.  I think abrasion resistance for a tarp is a bit overrated.  I never wore out a poncho, I also never used it for anything other than a tarp. I had gortex. Now I have better gotex and a lighter, bigger tarp. I will say I just checked prices and damn. I bought mine over a decade ago and it was spendy, but not like now.  A ton of week long through hikes on mine though and no discernable wear. Because with todays prices I don’t know if I would replace it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#46]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
YESSSSSSSSSS!
UPS has my rig out for delivery.

UPDATE: 14:30
Have unpacked the kit and BOY is it fucking outstanding! Not one stitch out of place or crooked. Not one Irish Pennant ANYWHERE on it.

Initial great news for everyone running 25 round 7.62 NATO P-mags. Two of them fit perfectly in the mag pouches even with the dust covers installed and loaded they do not even bounce around when adjusted properly.

Second great news for anyone with the Self Reliance Outfitters 39oz Wide-mouth Canteen Campfire Survival Cooking Kit. The canteen, Nesting cup, stove, lid, and a pair of leather gloves and some of the other little bits fit in each of the 2 canteen pouches and are exactly the same height as the mag pouches with the 25 rounders in them. Ruck will ride on  top of them just fine.
So one pouch with the whole canteen set, gloves etc. and the other pouch with another canteen and some other items of your choice are GTG.

The middle back pouch is larger than I had thought and I have not started moving and trying different things in there yet, but I will be able to get necessities and wants in there just fine.

The only thing I have noticed so far is that I will have to change out the adjustment sliders on the front chest straps as they are more of a semi permanent adjustment once you get your fitment correct. I will put quick adjust buckles on so I can more easily get into and out of the rig. That's just me though.

As I am very particular about the quality of products VS the amount of my money spent, I can say categorically that you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

I will take pictures of it in use and itemize the gear I will be carrying in when I have went through all the trial and error of what fits where and how well it carries.

Extremely well done, diz and Crossfire!!!
View Quote

Just got home to find mine had delivered and concur with all on the quality. I haven’t tried fitting various items into pouches yet but I am extremely happy with the build quality. Second the thanks for building such a quality piece of kit. Looking forward to a bum roll for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]

I’m going to respectfully disagree. You can poke a hole in it, you can’t hardly tear it. If something does put a hole in it, duct tape sticks to it. Duct tape doesn’t stick to sylnylon.  After sleeping under a poncho, a 10x8.5 cat cut tarp is a Hilton. IIRC mine with cords and carbon fiber poles is still under a pound.  I think abrasion resistance for a tarp is a bit overrated.  I never wore out a poncho, I also never used it for anything other than a tarp. I had gortex. Now I have better gotex and a lighter, bigger tarp. I will say I just checked prices and damn. I bought mine over a decade ago and it was spendy, but not like now.  A ton of week long through hikes on mine though and no discernable wear. Because with todays prices I don’t know if I would replace it.  
View Quote

That's the other reason I get sil-nylon tarps    :-D   Since I mostly use tarps for backpacking, I actually woulda considered one like yours, but the price just wasn't worth the extra benefit.  You can get a good sil-nylon tarp for way less than $100.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#48]
Hey cool guys.  Yeah when I first bought a frame set from CF I noticed the same thing; it was pretty damn good sewing.  

On fitting.  Yeah one of the reasons I went with 3-mag pouches is 2 x &.62 NATO fits in there pretty good as well. And on sustainment's, I wanted to make sure any common bottle plus cup would fit in there, with room to spare.  You gotta remember, I'm one of youse, haha.

And for all of you guys on here; if you ever have any issues with anything, I will personally repair or replace it.  Just contact me directly from here.    

I was just getting the last few rigs out today.  A few guys ordered a Diz rig and a CF2or3; that there is a deadly combo.

Another thing on fitting.  They came to us 8 to a box.  So the padding may have taken a set from being scrunched up in there against other rigs.  We are gonna see if we can't switch the factory to a longer, skinnier box, so they all lay flat.  But in the mean time, you just gotta go hump the damn thing a few times, get some sweat equity in there, and it will flatten out and curve to fit you.  Mine has already done so, so I'm confident they rest will follow suit.  

Also putting a slight bend or curve in the tuck tabs helps smooth out the process of getting them up in the tuck tunnels.   
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#49]
Que?!  Pics please.
View All Quotes
Que?!  Pics please.

it's legit!

About to go for a run. If post pics in a bit.
Edit: Kifaru weebie next to a Woobie, then a USMC poncho liner (current issue). Sorry for the messy basement.  I'm standing on a treadmill for the height, hence the black thing in the foreground.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I got mine when I was 15, along with a poncho   :-D   I got my mom to fill out a check for me to send to them, oldschool style.  Wanted them to go with my set of ALICE gear and my ALICE pack.  Ya know.  Because.  

You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent regular MOLLE buttpack.  The last company making them went out of business.  I'm going to be doing a few to put for sale here in a bit though.  What camo do you want, I'll make one up and post pics.  If you like it, buy it then.  Right now I have woodland and multicam and coyote.  I'm GOING to be getting a few yards of rhodie and maybe splinter too.  Make a set of beltkit out of each of those to test the waters.
lucky SOB.

I'd look at coyote,  simply because I'm still in and our branch leans towards that for accessories.  Awesome offer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#50]
More findings on the DZ Rig.

1. @diz     Suggest adding 4 inches total (2 inches per side) to the bungee keepers on all the pouches. At least on mine, even with the keepers loosened all the way, the bungees were contracting on each of the pouches and restricting the room to place things in easily, especially around and below where the bungees are placed. Kind of like a belt cinched too tight around a fat girl's FUPA. I replaced mine with the longer ones I have around and it really helped.

2. Because it was mentioned in previous replies, a swagman DOES in fact fit into the large pouch. I only tried it out of curiosity. It is not what will be in that pouch on my rig.
(This was before I replaced the bungee and as you can see, the pouch is squeezed in the middle even though the bungee is opened all the way.)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 48 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top