[#2]
Friction, yo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Power out = (power in - losses)...

View Quote

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Why waste all that effort.  He could just hook up a hydro generator on the output side of a pump where water also runs downhill.  Dump a bucket of water in, pull the plug, and viola'. Free energy, right?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard if you try to patent that device, THEY KILL YOU.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn that last contraption is impressive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Big Oil will shut this project down
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]
F-ing magnets!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had this video saved for years. I really want to build a copy and see what it does.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
He should put that on a treadmill in an airplane.

Bet it would make the plane fly apart!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies. morons
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies. morons

FIFY

ETA:
The laws of physics cannot be cheated or broken. There is no way in fuck that a bunch of dilluesional consipracy theory asshats with an internet connection can violate the rules of nature.

End rant.

I cannot tolerate the free energy retards, nor the grand conspiracy fuck heads.

I didn't watch the video yet. Just the thought of that video pissed me off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Why would anyone even bother with trying to convince other people that they'd invented a perpetual motion machine?  You could just sell your free clean power and a few billion dollars later who gives a shit if anyone believes in it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Neat desk toy, but that's all it is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very!  But it was actually the culmination of all of the concepts in the film before it.

While impressive, it is not a TRUE perpetual motion machine.  A perpetual motion machine creates at least equal the energy required to run itself.

The devices in the film are actually utilizing STORED energy in the magnets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#16]

This guy claims that this invention is a perpetual motion machine, the
Philosopher's Stone of physics, the Holy Grail of power. Play the video
and check it out for yourself.

The machine
uses neodymium magnets and some simple mechanics to achieve its feat.
It actually moves into its own for quite a while. How much is that while,
we don't know. Of course, it is not going to be perpetual. Even if
there was no friction—and inevitable energy loss—the magnets will lose
its magnetism after a few years.

View Quote

http://gizmodo.com/5982103/this-perpetual-motion-machine-may-not-be-perpetual-but-its-awesome-anyway

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
now hook it up to a generator
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Neat desk toy, but that's all it is.
View Quote

I was going to post the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cool science lab projects to play around with magnetic fields, but nothing more. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, and no free energy.
View Quote

Tell it to Casimir.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#23]
TANSTAAFL
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

FIFY

ETA:

The laws of physics cannot be cheated or broken. There is no way in fuck that a bunch of dilluesional consipracy theory asshats with an internet connection can violate the rules of nature.

End rant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

ETA:

End rant.

Bull.  All of or physical laws were given by men who by definition on have limited knowledge.  Many of our inventions today would not exist if the inventors thought the way you stated in red.  Case in point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

"Townes reports that several eminent physicists—among them Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Isidor Rabi, Polykarp Kusch, and Llewellyn Thomas—argued the maser violated Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and hence could not work.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#cite_note-14][14][/url] In 1964 Charles H. Townes, Nikolay Basov, and Aleksandr Prokhorov shared the Nobel Prize in Physics,
"for fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has
led to the construction of oscillators and amplifiers based on the
maser–laser principle".

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

FIFY

ETA:
The laws of physics cannot be cheated or broken. There is no way in fuck that a bunch of delusional conspiracy theory asshats with an internet connection can violate the rules of nature.

End rant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

ETA:
The laws of physics cannot be cheated or broken. There is no way in fuck that a bunch of delusional conspiracy theory asshats with an internet connection can violate the rules of nature.

End rant.

+1 for Udder_Catastrophe
FIFY (spelling) + Bold
I won't watch the video (ever)  Just the thought of that video pissed me of
(also)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Consider that the earth is a big magnet (we've got N  & S poles), it should be tapped.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]
The important point here is:

How many can I sell on ebay?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Fat people are the only beings that can violate the laws of physics as they relate to energy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Hook it up to a generator and charge a 12v battery.

Otherwise you are full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they bothered to put the word "law" in a scientific explanation, don't fuck with it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to see it working in microgravity, i.e. in the ISS.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cool science lab projects to play around with magnetic fields, but nothing more. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, and no free energy.
View Quote

Very true... but this machine overcomes the friction of its bearings and actually accelerates at first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:52:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bull.  All of or physical laws were given by men who by definition on have limited knowledge.  Many of our inventions today would not exist if the inventors thought the way you stated in red.  Case in point:

"Townes reports that several eminent physicists—among them Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Isidor Rabi, Polykarp Kusch, and Llewellyn Thomas—argued the maser violated Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and hence could not work.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#cite_note-14][14][/url] In 1964 Charles H. Townes, Nikolay Basov, and Aleksandr Prokhorov shared the Nobel Prize in Physics, "for fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has led to the construction of oscillators and amplifiers based on the maser–laser principle".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

ETA:

End rant.

"Townes reports that several eminent physicists—among them Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Isidor Rabi, Polykarp Kusch, and Llewellyn Thomas—argued the maser violated Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and hence could not work.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#cite_note-14][14][/url] In 1964 Charles H. Townes, Nikolay Basov, and Aleksandr Prokhorov shared the Nobel Prize in Physics, "for fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has led to the construction of oscillators and amplifiers based on the maser–laser principle".

this is Newtonian physics, not quantum physics

If you have a great big pendulum and you swing it up 10 feet and let go

on the next pass it will swing up to 9.9 feet , and then on the next pass it will swing up to 9.8 feet

and so on until it stops moving

where did the energy go?

It bled off in pushing air out of the way of the pendulum and in the friction in the bearing

if you could make a pendulum in a vacuum and develop a perfectly frictionless bearing, then yes indeed it would swing back and forth forever

all of these stupid perpetual gizmos are just a fancy way to inject a machine with potential energy (like the initial pull on the pendulum) and then let it slowly bleed away in losses

the irony is that a simpler machine would work better, it would have less losses.

if you swung a rock like a pendulum at the end of a piece of fishing line it would hold the energy longer than some fancy machine with 20 bearings and other friction losses in it

the only way more energy is going to show up out of thin air is if you're splitting atoms and converting mass to energy

and that certainly is not "perpetual motion"
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Some of those are cool to build and play with but the people that think they can be turned into perpetual motion/free energy machines don't understand that magnets like that aren't free and friction does exist.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Add a gerbil
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#39]
And the free voltage produced was ????
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#40]
The fed gov is perpetual....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#41]

One of the lab techs where I used to work invented a "perpetual motion" machine. He took a friend of mine (a physicist) and I out to see it one lunchtime. He explained to us how he just had to get rid of that last little bit of friction and he would be on easy street.

My friend proceeded to explain to him why that would never happen, but how the guy could probably make a fortune selling it as a desk toy. The "inventor" was extremely offended and the demonstration was over.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#42]
perpetual motion (especially the type that can produce more energy than it consumes) is not possible.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#43]
SCIENTISTS HATE THIS ONE COOL TRICK TO KEEPING YOUR HOUSE OFF THE GRID!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#44]
But, but the payback on the materials used to construct it is only 600 years, assuming nothing on it ever wears out or breaks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah... that one.
View All Quotes

Not the same machine, the one in the photos has a screw in the side of the long pillar, the one in the video doesnt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why would anyone even bother with trying to convince other people that they'd invented a perpetual motion machine?  You could just sell your free clean power and a few billion dollars later who gives a shit if anyone believes in it?
View Quote

Because idiots like Obama will give them half a billion dollars to invest in it and they can just take the money and walk away.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not saying it's magnets but...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok, the folks harping on the supremacy of various laws of physics are making a very great fundamental error, one that assumes we operate from a position of complete knowledge.  We do not.  The Laws of Newtonian mechanics are a systemized picture of our understanding of the physical world at a given time.  Certain parts of Newtonian Mechanics were later superceded by Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity.  Quantum Mechanics introduced even more "laws"  But we have a number of clearly evident facts that point out our understanding is STILL very incomplete, and it is even quite possible certain laws we assume are always true are only true in certain cases.  For example, why is it that the amount of matter FAR exceeds the amount of antimatter?  That seems to violate at least two absolute laws physicists assert to be absolutely true at all times.  

Regarding perpetual motion, energy from nothing or free energy, why do people ALWAYS fall back to Newton's laws, which have no mechanism to address the constant creation and annihilation of particles and antiparticles at the quantum level?  Free energy could indeed be drawn from the quantum vacuum, there are laws of attraction which people can measure in a laboratory setting caused by this particle interaction at the quantum level, which could power a device.

How many of our brightest minds, Einstein and others, had to fight through the entrenched institutionalized arrogance in our scientific community before they were taken seriously?  Perhaps a little humility would cause us to discover many new technologies.  I believe it was Lord Kelvin who said around 1900, that science had discovered everything there was to discover.  There were no new things to be invented.  Had he shut his arrogant mouth, he would have seen Einstein and Planck sitting in the waiting room, waiting for their appointment to change the world.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I have one of these on my desk at work, all it is is an electric motor

Cool to watch though

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for cool desk toy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top