Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2016 12:14:56 PM EDT
Through a screwed up tax system here, I got erroneously put on non resident, and it took me two years to fight it. Due to that, I had to sell both of my ARs, and my son's Ar. Now, it looks like, if the word comes back Monday or Tuesday, that they have to drop my taxes, and issue me a refund for the last few years, about $1500 per year.

I really, really want a Tavor. I like that you can get the 16" barrel, and it still be 26.5 inches overall, which is 6" shorter than a 16" AR with the stock collapsed. So, you get a more compact rifle, more maneuverable , with no loss of velocity from the projectiles. You would have to go to a 10" barreled AR to get that same length, so you would lose a tremendous amount of velocity, and in 5.56, velocity is king. Also, if I want to suppress it, I don't need to SBR it, and, with most suppressors, I'd be around the same overall length as a 16" AR with a flash hider.

The things I see against the Tavor.

Price - not unusual for such a new offering with the specs and features it has.

Trigger, ( though that can be fixed, and a few here have done that and it's good ).

Accuracy due to factory trigger - see above.

Lastly, gas blowback to the face when suppressed.

QC barrel / bolt options, so far in 9mm, .300BLK.

AR 15 pros

Cheap to build even with high quality parts ( the vendor that shall not be named has my business for barrels and bolts )

I will be going side charger if I go AR15

Unlimited options to accessorize , easy to repair etc.

At this stage in the AR15's life, there really aren't any negatives.

Swap uppers and bolts / mags for any caliber that fits in the mag well in a couple of minutes , and some that don's using bolt action or side fed uppers like .50BMG.

AR15 con

Overall length , not bad unless compared to a bullpup.

If you have both, or even just the Tavor, tell me your opinion of the Tavor or compared to the Ar. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to add, the ARs I will be building will run about $1400-$1500. So the Tavor is a few hundred more.

I have to build two of these or buy two Tavors.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have an AR start with an AR.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
This being GD I'm going to just suggest an AUG and bypass your stipulations and months of research and consideration.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
sold my tavor because i liked me AR SBR more.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Among other bullpups, I have the AUG A1 and Tavor which are most popular.

There's a $50 fix for the gas on the Tavor, it's due to the off-hand side ejection cover.  Possibly a DIY fix too, I dunno.

Haven't shot suppressed yet.  Although from what I read, you get worse gas blowback with ARs.  AR-15's are dirty as fuck even when they aren't suppressed.  Of all my guns, they are probably the biggest PITA to clean.

I might lean toward the AUG, although I've only had the Tavor out shooting a few times with about 400 rounds through it.  Geissele trigger is a nice upgrade for the Tavor which isn't available on the AUG.  That probably doesn't help.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I had ARs, I had to sell them due to the local gov screwing me over, but now my lawyer has got them handled, so I'm buying again here in a couple of weeks. I've been shooting ARs since 2001.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say build you and your son an AR each. Tavor is cool and all, but more than one person got a screwjob put to them thanks to the gov.

With a pretty modest budget, you could probably have two ARs built with optics for the price of a Tavor with an optic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both.I tend to shoot AR more,The Tavor has some weight to it.I love the trigger on the Tavor since putting in a Geissele..you should just get one of each.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just to add, the ARs I will be building will run about $1400-$1500. So the Tavor is a few hundred more.

I have to build two of these or buy two Tavors.
View Quote

Why not one of each then?  Odds of Zombie apocalypse is really low, you can't swap parts anyways since you'll still only have one functional rifle.

Everyone has a different opinion, that way you can try both and see what you like more.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Go ask Tavor.com. I bet on AR15.com they will tell you AR.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Both
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had ARs, I had to sell them due to the local gov screwing me over, but now my lawyer has got them handled, so I'm buying again here in a couple of weeks. I've been shooting ARs since 2001.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, so you don't currently have an AR so I would start there.  Especially given you have a long history with them and are undoubtedly proficient with one.  I have a Tavor and like it for what it is, an interesting AR alternative.  But to me there is nothing that it does that the AR doesn't do as well if not better except being shorter with a 16" barrel and that to me wouldn't be worth the trade offs if I could only have one or the other.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I get way worse gas face with my AR's then the Tavor, and to fix it on the Tavor is a $40 port door and some sealant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a bunch of AR's and one Tavor.  I like the Tavor, but it sits in my safe more than AR's do.  Doing an upgrade to the trigger is a must, but that substantially adds to the cost.  With AR prices where they are that it what I would do first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Start with 2 AR's, then get a Tavor when finances allow. This way you and your son have parts commonality and a weapon that can be easily repaired with parts available all over the country. I like my Tavor, but the AR has so much more aftermarket support not having one is not an option.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I would hold out on the tavor and wait for them to release the smaller version of the tavor. Can't remember what it's called but it looks sweet.

I would choose an ar over any bullpup any day.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Both
<a href="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/TATBME/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3n9rghi4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3n9rghi4.jpg</a>
View Quote

I think I saw a sale for NcSTAR red dots...if you want to upgrade that EoTech...
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Both
<a href="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/TATBME/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3n9rghi4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3n9rghi4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Well heaven forbid you lend the OP some insight into your experiences with both of those fine weapons, bud. I know this is GD but he's looking for more than just show & tell here.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It seems that if your financial position is so precarious that you had to sell property to pay off a few thousand dollars in taxes, you would probably be much better off putting that money into savings, as opposed to new toys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
You said it yourself.  You really....really want a tavor.  Buy it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]
two BCM ar15s.

one vortex viper pst 2.5-10 with a larue mount

one aimpoint micro with the high larue mount

plus 20 pmags

plus 2 geiselle triggers

plus as much wolf gold .223 you can stack

thats what i would do. getting into firearms i made alot of buying mistakes, i often wish i would have consolidated alot of my purchaes.

now i am selling and downsizing my personal collection to increase quality and parts consolidation

but for you i would say buy what you are going to enjoy shooting or what is going to fit your "needs" the best.

if your priority is bringing your rifle to war, i wouldnt get a tavor because you cant stack replacement parts deep.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would hold out on the tavor and wait for them to release the smaller version of the tavor. Can't remember what it's called but it looks sweet.

View Quote

youre talking about the x95 and it is far superior to the tavor in every way.

they begin shipping the end of march from what i heard.

quad pic rails, ar style mag release, different pistol grips

uses the same trigger pack so the geissele super sabra will work in the x95.
also comes from tavor with an improved trigger i believe.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Has IWI improved the Tavor's trigger?
Last one I shot had about a 12# pull

I'd have to factor in the cost of an upgraded trigger, but that's a preference thing
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would hold out on the tavor and wait for them to release the smaller version of the tavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I would hold out on the tavor and wait for them to release the smaller version of the tavor.

This.
If you want a Tavor wait for the new one.

Quoted:

The new model has a better trigger.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
two BCM ar15s.

plus 20 pmags

plus 2 geiselle triggers

thats what i would do. getting into firearms i made alot of buying mistakes, i often wish i would have consolidated alot of my purchaes.

now i am selling and downsizing my personal collection to increase quality and parts consolidation

but for you i would say buy what you are going to enjoy shooting or what is going to fit your "needs" the best.

if your priority is bringing your rifle to war, i wouldnt get a tavor because you cant stack replacement parts deep.
View Quote

Meh.  Spare rifle is good enough.  Maybe a spare bolt too.

If apocalypse is your plan, and you have a few AR's and 100 spare parts, I hope you also have an underground bunker with it's own redundant oxygen recycling system, about 50K rounds of ammo, and a 20 year food & water supply.

ETA:  Probably worth holding out for the new one too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd have to factor in the cost of an upgraded trigger, but that's a preference thing
View Quote

see my post above
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It seems that if your financial position is so precarious that you had to sell property to pay off a few thousand dollars in taxes, you would probably be much better off putting that money into savings, as opposed to new toys.
View Quote

I had to come up with extra money fast, and in order to do it I had to sell my guns. I am going to be getting refunded the money for what I sold them for. I would buy them all back but I can't, so I'm going to buy something else. It will be no different than if I had not sold the guns to start with, except for the fact that there will be different guns there.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

see my post above
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

see my post above

Thank you, I should've read the entire thread more throughly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/iwi-02.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/iwi-02.jpg
Oh my, the x95 is sweet.  I have many AR's in different configs.  I don't think I'd do anything to the x95 except optics.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Quoted:

Is that the X95?

NM.  Answered above.  I have been interested in the Tavor, and this v2.0 model is making me look harder.  Maybe once the wife is out of school and working.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
two BCM ar15s.

plus 20 pmags

plus 2 geiselle triggers

View Quote

If I go AR15, I'm going back with AR Performance .223 Wylde barrels, bolts, short comp ,etc, but I'm going with a side charger this time on them. I already talked to H and he offered to put it all together for me if I sent the upper receivers to him and ship back the complete uppers instead of just the parts for me to build. I'll build the lowers on PSA lowers.

The thing is, I went from shooting Garand /M14/ M1A rifles from my youth 1970s-1980s, to shooting AKs and ARs in the 2000s. It doesn't take me long to get used to something new and get decent with it. The only thing I have ever had a problem with was the selector on the Ars. I keep forgetting which way is safe or fire unless I think or look.

My son never got to shoot enough to really get used to anything other, so a new system wouldn't be hard on him either.

I do see the parts availability being an issue if SHTF bad, but I don't see that. I will buy a couple of extra bolts and parts for whatever rifle I choose, so that isn't really an issue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Tavor review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0qkpf5O0A
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I got the Tavor for no other reason than to fart around with a bullpup. I don't really labor under the delusion that it's a serious weapon, especially since it's in the same price range as a lightly used SR15. One of my biggest regrets. It's not a "bad" gun because it does work, but it isn't a very good one.  I wish I had gotten an AUG instead.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I voted for the tavor, although I do have more ar's. The tavor does have some issues but all platforms do. The trigger is an issue but I do not have stock triggers on anything anyways.  The shorter overall length and compact size are a plus for me when it comes to weapon manipulation.  To be honest it really depends on what your intended use for the rifle is, for long range applications the nod goes unquestionably to the AR. However,  for 0 to about 150 yrds I believe that is where the tavor really shines. Most of the ranges around me are either 100 or 200 yards so long range shooting is not as big a priority.  If you are looking at shorter distances the tavor is really handy and a lot more fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got the Tavor for no other reason than to fart around with a bullpup.
View Quote

Same for me, I wanted something different from the ARs I have. I got it used in a trade so the price wasn't really a problem.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I had to come up with extra money fast, and in order to do it I had to sell my guns. I am going to be getting refunded the money for what I sold them for. I would buy them all back but I can't, so I'm going to buy something else. It will be no different than if I had not sold the guns to start with, except for the fact that there will be different guns there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, in that case, M17S:

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Had a favor and it was meh. Trigger, ergos. Sight over bore ridiculous
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#39]
As others have said, I'd wait for the X95.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Same for me, I wanted something different from the ARs I have. I got it used in a trade so the price wasn't really a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the Tavor for no other reason than to fart around with a bullpup.

Same. I dumped some Mosins and a mixmaster M1 in a CMP stock. I don't think I could actually have thrown down cash for this thing.

Should have gotten an AUG, but I don't think the A3 M1 was out at the time with the integral optic. Plus I was living in CO so trying to get into something that took a different mag was a problem as the mag ban was in effect.

The Tavor is just not an easy gun for me to shoot well, even with the Super Sabra. Im a pedestrian shooter at best, but I can hammer rounds into a fist sized group at 10-15 yards with my AR almost as fast as I can reset the trigger. The Tavor is always wanging around all over the place and the height of the optic over the bore sucks. The controls are also too easy to bump.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#41]
never shot either but the FS2000 caught my fancy being a lefty

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd get one of each.  I bought a Tavor before I had a second AR.  It's a fun gun to shoot and really compact.  I'd like the mag release of the X95 but beyond that I don't think there is anything I'd change, the forend I have on mine accommodates a light plus, if I wanted to, I could add to the m-lok system.  Looking at the X95 I'm not sure it will have enough room to mount a light like the current Tavor can, I think it's a cool feature.

Here it is compared to a 16" AR...

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Will it be used for overwatch?  

Bipods are good for overwatch, so go AR.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Because dancing around on spent brass is fun
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

I just never did like the way those felt in the hands. It's personal preference though.

I've held the Augs but neve shot one. It was always a major want for me though. I almost bought one when they first got imported over here. I also fooled around in the store with the MSARS but never bought.  If I went that route, I'd have to go with the flattop model. I don't like the optic that comes on them.

But, I like the Tavor better in that it has a more traditional under barrel stock instead of the folding pistol grip of the AUG. It seems like I remember that there is a model or a rail that gives you that but I can't remember.

It still might be that I can get my son's Spikes back, it was sold to a friend from across the street. I can offer him the same plus a bit for it, and take him to Palmetto State down in Columbia to get a lower and those parts, and a premium upper, and show him how to build his lower. Then I can get a Tavor or X95 , and if my son likes it better, we can get another Tavor or X95.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd get one of each.  I bought a Tavor before I had a second AR.  It's a fun gun to shoot and really compact.  I'd like the mag release of the X95 but beyond that I don't think there is anything I'd change, the forend I have on mine accommodates a light plus, if I wanted to, I could add to the m-lok system.  Looking at the X95 I'm not sure it will have enough room to mount a light like the current Tavor can, I think it's a cool feature.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1690/25103067194_97b86161eb_c.jpg

Here it is compared to a 16" AR...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1611/25103076014_0cd9fd5a3b_c.jpg
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about right there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Will it be used for overwatch?  

Bipods are good for overwatch, so go AR.  

View Quote

Nah, my 2nd wife and I divorced back in 2012. Last I heard she had been promoted from whatever Sgt. she was to Lt., and had married a guy in her old unit. She does overwatch for him now.

I'm taking applications though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I should have waited for the X-95, but I like my Tavor alot
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I really liked my tavor until I tried to suppress it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Personally the AR route is the way to go especially if you want to suppress it, if you have a hard time learning different weapon manipulations hold off on the tavor and go with the X95, it's a little easier to manipulate by the looks of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top