Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2016 1:09:52 PM EDT
Long time mc rider (40+ years), mostly HD's, touring mainly last 25 years. Legs and balance not getting any better LOL. Wife and I still like the open road. Looking at HD trike, but cant help but be intrigued by the Spyder RT. LOTS less money. Interesting design. How do you steer around corners with that thing since the wheels dont "tilt"? How do you quickly dodge a hazard, like a deer or dog, etc? Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the snowmobile one or the low slung side by side?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Get ready for the gay comments.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Gay.

Class dismissed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gay.

Class dismissed.

View Quote

It sounds like OP might be elderly.  They're the ones that can am trikes are for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is that the snowmobile one or the low slung side by side?
View Quote

Not side by side: link
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It sounds like OP might be elderly.  They're the ones that can am trikes are for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gay.

Class dismissed.

fuggin elderly haha yep i guess so 59 y.o.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any riding experience on a quad(Banshee, 4-Track)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know much about the can-am, but you can get a harley trike conversion that leans.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/faq/
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say go for it OP.  If you and your wife like it, who really cares if a bunch dudes on the internet think it's gay. You're 59 and still have a wife, a lot of them can't even  hold onto their women, probably because they are more worried about people thinking they look gay rather than making their women happy.

Me and me wife have been eyeballing the Polaris Slingshot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a love or hate thing. I worked for a ski doo dealer years ago when the spyders first came out. I was able to demo one. I loved it . I also love snowmobiling. And the Spyder is just that , a snowmobile for the road. Back when they were first introduced the were a 900 cc Aprillia twin and were kinda lame in the acceleration dept. The have plenty of torque and snap  but they are bound by traction control and anti-roll control. If you are having a hard time with lower muscle issues the Spyder is your answer to keep riding. The Spyder is hugely popular with women who are intimidated by the fear of holding up 2 wheels. I have not driven one since they first were introduced so I'm out of the specs loop I'm sure they have better power now. I was very impressed at how crisp and flat the Spyder cornered at higher speeds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
2>3
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Ignore the gay stuff from the snot-nosers. I'm in the same boat w/you. I've looked at the HD, the Spyder, and the Slingshot. I dont know yet which way I will go, but the Slingshot was hard for me to contort down into and has zero storage space except small area behind the seats. The HD felt unstable to me. The Spyder feels odd, but I may be leaning that way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Honest question, why not just buy a nice roadster? I mean you're giving up a lot with a trike just to stay on the road with something that kinda resembles a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I was skeptical of the Spyder at first (and I work in the motorcycle industry) but they turned out to be a huge seller. I see them all over the place.

They're very popular as touring bikes. I even saw one of the sport versions being ridden by a three-piece patch one-percenter.

And now we're making products for them, too, which we wouldn't do if the numbers weren't there.

And, no, they don't handle like motorcycles. Nor do they handle like sidecars, or even the traditional three wheelers.

The closest comparison I can make is a sit-down version of a big jet-ski. You don't lean into a turn, or else your jet-ski goes nose first into the water. You just sit upright and steer.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Honest question, why not just buy a nice roadster? I mean you're giving up a lot with a trike just to stay on the road with something that kinda resembles a motorcycle.
View Quote

This was my thought;  My thought on the Can AM was always, "All the risk of a motorcycle, none of the fun."
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ignore the gay stuff from the snot-nosers. I'm in the same boat w/you. I've looked at the HD, the Spyder, and the Slingshot. I dont know yet which way I will go, but the Slingshot was hard for me to contort down into and has zero storage space except small area behind the seats. The HD felt unstable to me. The Spyder feels odd, but I may be leaning that way.
View Quote

The H-D trike IS unstable. It's the rear suspension on that thing that freaks people out.

With stiff sport shocks, it would handle better but not be nearly as comfortable.

I rode a rigid-framed H-D three wheeler for three years when I was in high school. No problems with handling (for a three-wheeler) and I was a young kid with a bony ass, so the rigid frame didn't bother me.

Go with the Spyder.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw this on the news last week.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, mostly deer hunting type stuff offroad on trails. Steers similar, huh?

Quoted:

Good point, but we sorta like the biking lifestyle and hope to keep it going as long as possible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't have to put your feet down at a red light. There's that....
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Owned one, did not like. Had to ride like a sled to work the corners. Quick passes sucked as you had to bull the steering out and back. Saw a review that said it was the worst part of a car and the worst part of a motorcycle combined. People won't leave you alone at the gas station.  Only positive was it was good for sightseeing. You could run over about anything or off the edge of the road and it would just keep going.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#24]
isnt there one of these kind of things that's more like a car but its considered a motorcycle?

EDIT: I must be thinking of the Polaris Slingshot

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Kenny Powers approves.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I get behind them every so often. On occasion I'll get behind one that wants to be an ass and not let me pass but I know I just have to wait for a curve, they completely lose their shit in the turns, never fails.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Long time mc rider (40+ years), mostly HD's, touring mainly last 25 years. Legs and balance not getting any better LOL. Wife and I still like the open road. Looking at HD trike, but cant help but be intrigued by the Spyder RT. LOTS less money. Interesting design. How do you steer around corners with that thing since the wheels dont "tilt"? How do you quickly dodge a hazard, like a deer or dog, etc? Any feedback greatly appreciated.
View Quote
The SPYDER  WILL damn sure dodge potholes,  dogs, and other road hazard.

They are both  very stable on rough, broken  or wet pavement,  and very quick handling.

They have power steering.

They have  really good brakes.

They will accelerate VERY  well.

Standing water  will   get the rear  wheel to hydroplane.

I have  many  hours  following a SPYDER  at close range,  one characteristic  is they  do throw   a HUGE roostertail   in wet conditions.

You should arrange a test ride.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Polaris Slingshot.   It is cheaper than a Spyder.   A lot of Harley guys are interested in the slingshot when I show up.  The Slingshot corners like it is on rails.  I get about 35 mph on it.  The wife loves it.  She really had no interested in riding behind me.   Looking at a couple of Spyers in a parking lot on Saturday. she said she did not like the Spyder either.  The slingshot has a 4 cly gm Ecotech motor with a 5 speed manual tranny.  We like ours and get it out just about every good weather day we have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Car is better in every way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
gayer than two boys fucking

school's over.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I have never ridden one but the folks I have talked to that have usually are switching from a bike.
The biggest thing I have heard is that handling takes the biggest adjustment, they don't lean like a bike.
Not that I have talked to a lot of can-am riders but the ones I have all said that they thought it would be easier to adjust to if they had never ridden a bike before.
Of course conventional trikes are completely different anyway so you going to have to adjust no matter what you chose.
I say go for what you want, whatever you chose you are going to run into someone who doesn't agree, its just how big of an ass they want to be that shows their character!!
Having ridden Kawasaki's since the 70's and still ride a 1980 750 that I bought brand new I have put up with plenty of D-bags over the years.... LOL
That being said, once I give up the bike I will probably be looking at some type of small convertible.
Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Ariel Atom
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ariel Atom
View Quote

I'd almost sell my wife for one of those.  Or a KTM Cross Bow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Miata
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a Polaris Slingshot.   It is cheaper than a Spyder.   A lot of Harley guys are interested in the slingshot when I show up.  The Slingshot corners like it is on rails.  I get about 35 mph on it.
View Quote

That's not very fast dude.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Polaris Slingshot.   It is cheaper than a Spyder.   A lot of Harley guys are interested in the slingshot when I show up.  The Slingshot corners like it is on rails.  I get about 35 mph on it.

For 49cc it might be.  Not sure on the engine size of the slingshot, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#38]
A couple of friends of mine have or have had Spyders, and I know one guy with a Slingshot.

If you're accustomed to motorcycle touring, the Spyder is probably for you. Reasonable quick, good cargo capacity, familiar environment. You'll have to get used to steering it like a Quad, which, honestly, seems to be a hard transition for about 50% of the Spyder buyer demographic. Everybody gets it eventually, but it takes a long time for many folks.

The Slingshot is like a really bad Scarlett Johansson movie: very pretty to look at, but wrong in almost every other way. It combines the worst aspects of a motorcycle (limited storage, exposed to the elements, kind of steep insurance) with the worst aspects of a car (need a car parking space, tires are expensive, you have to climb out of it). I followed a Slingshot on a funeral ride over the weekend, and got pelted by every stone, twig, and chunk of tar the guy drove over. That rear tire should have a fender on it.

I'd rather have a 5-year-old Miata. It's a genuine sports car, parts are cheap and plentiful, two people can tour for an indefinite period of time, cheap on gas, cheap on insurance, fun to drive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Definitely gay.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]
If your going with 3 wheels buy a T-Rex.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.4L
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add 100mph - he meant mpg.

2.3l with 175hp
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The SPYDER  WILL damn sure dodge potholes,  dogs, and other road hazard.    They are both  very stable on rough, broken  or wet pavement,  and very quick handling.
 I have  many  hours  following a SPYDER  at close range,  one characteristic  is they  do throw   a HUGE roostertail   in wet conditions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SPYDER  WILL damn sure dodge potholes,  dogs, and other road hazard.    They are both  very stable on rough, broken  or wet pavement,  and very quick handling.

All of this. My wife and I each have a Spyder RT Limited. We both really like them and have gone on a couple of short trips (overnight). Can Am also has a trailer for them.  And you can get a driver back rest that makes riding even more comfortable. We also have bluetooth headsets so we can stay in touch when riding together.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had mine since 2008. It was my first bike, so I had nothing to unlearn and no preconceived notions of what a motorcycle should be. As you can tell by the comments above, it's not a bike for those that give a shit what others think.

The Sypder doesn't lean, but that doesn't mean it's not nimble. You have to steer it like a quad, but the power steering makes that easy. In addition, it has a vehicle stability system that senses if a tire comes off the ground. In that case, it interrupts your throttle just enough to bring you back down. If you do want to throw it into corners, this is easily counteracted by leaning to the inside of a turn (after a while, it becomes muscle memory) or buying a stiffer sway bar.  Mine is now considered a "sport" model, but I've added handlebar risers, Givi bags, and a big wind screen to turn it into a sport tourer. Riding in the rain is no problem, when most two-wheelers are hiding under a bridge. I've had it up to 110+ on several occasions. The only criticism I have is the 30 MPG.

I don't know a lot about the touring models, except that they're very popular with the older crowd.  You should at least take one for a test ride.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I have demoed them a few times, they are very nice. They have sophisticated traction control that takes a bit of getting used to. If you fight the handling it will bobble back and forth, you just have to relax your grip. The major difference is that there is no counter steering. Its like riding a tricycle when we were little. You lean off on the inside a bit on a corner. They are very popular with folks who would like to ride a motorcycle but are concerned about tipping over and of course people who are getting older and may have balance or strength issues.
 Your local dealer should have a demo program, mine does, go ride one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
They're like Tom Cruise, GHEY and faggot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Take everything that is fun about motorcycling and remove it.
Take everything practical about a car and remove it.
Mix together what remains and you just made a Spyder.

Miata - I don't even like them that much but seriously, just get a Miata.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top