Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/2/2024 10:17:45 AM EDT
If these were all same price, what would you choose?

Mostly suppressed use.

Ruger 8” .22 Charger

FN 502 T FDE

Taurus TX22 Compact

Sig Sauer P322

Or

Spend $200 more and get Silencer Shop Ruger Mk IV 22/45

Spend more and get PMR 30 w/ Farrowtech Brace
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
For plinking and general fun the Taurus, for competition spend more for the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The Ruger Mk series is the standard for a reason.

The 22/45 Lite is the correct answer unless you want to spend more money, then the answer becomes Volquartsen.

I probably wouldn't recommend a heavier configuration like the stainless guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't need a rail you know what you want.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 22/45 Lite is the correct answer unless you want to spend more money, then the answer becomes Volquartsen.

View Quote

I think he's referring to the silencer shop mk4 not a stainless steel mk4.

I vote just get a standard mk4 22/45. Your going to change stuff around and customize how you like it anyways.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The Silencer Shop version is shorter, with top rail.

22/45 tactical is a bit longer, has iron sights, and top and under barrel accessory rail.

I think the Tactical might be the better choice for forward customization.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont see a "Spend more and get a Browning Buckmark" option so I cant help you OP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W Victory should be an option.  Doesn't get the love it should....
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I sure do like my Taurus TX22's more than my Ruger 22/45's  

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
My 322 has been great.

Probably close to 1000 round through it. 2 cleanings.

I gotta clean the sparrow that’s on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with a Buckmark and added stuff, but I doubt you'd ever regret getting the Ruger.  

Unless you take it apart and can't get it back together
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Silencer Shop version is shorter, with top rail.

22/45 tactical is a bit longer, has iron sights, and top and under barrel accessory rail.

I think the Tactical might be the better choice for forward customization.
View Quote

The Tactical is 33.3oz.

The Silencer Shop model is 29oz.

The Lite is 25oz.

Depending upon how you intend to use the pistol and which suppressor you're pairing with it, I might suggest making weight a priority.

If you're going to use it to walk around a barn and shoot rats, the Tactical might make sense. If you're going to take it to the range and burn hundreds of rounds at a time through it, I'd suggest starting with the model that's over half a pound lighter before adding an optic and a can.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I own several MK series ruger pistols.  I have never bought into the Lite models because of the aluminum.  .22 ammo is hard on the breech face and I want steel there.  The rimfire priming compound contains abrasive grit that gets hammered between the bolt and breech face and slowly erodes it.  I've never looked at the Lite models to see if they have a steel breech face but if it's anything like the aluminum barrels for the 10/22, they do.  I'll pass.

I've shot entire 550 round bulk packs on a single range trip and never once has weight been a concern.  If anything, the weight helps mitigate recoil and allow faster split times.  

The tactical model is a lot of fun.  I have a SeeAll sight on mine along with a light/laser under the barrel. I've used it to dispatch a couple of skunks in my chicken coop.  I have one .22 suppressor that I move around to different hosts.  If you have a bunch of suppressors it would make more sense to get the SS version with the short barrel and just leave it on there.  And also it would work much better for holstering with the suppressor installed.  But in my case I use the gun without the suppressor more than with it.  If the HPA had passed that would be much different.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went with a Buckmark and added stuff, but I doubt you'd ever regret getting the Ruger.  

View Quote

The Mk IV made the goofy reassembly process much easier, or so I hear. I still have a Mk III which requires a trip to YouTube every ~1500rds when it's time to clean it
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The stock triggers are awful.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Out of that list, I have the p322. I wouldn’t hesitate to get any of the other guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My 322 has been great.

Probably close to 1000 round through it. 2 cleanings.

I gotta clean the sparrow that’s on it.
View Quote

Love mine, just want to do something about the spongy trigger.
There are a couple options for aftermarket shoes but I'm but sure how much they would help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#20]
No VQ, no care.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Add $200 more to MkIV because you will be buying aftermarket internals
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For plinking and general fun the Taurus, for competition spend more for the Ruger.
View Quote

this is the best

but id get a ruger, then wait on the dagger
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
TX22 is awesome. The FN is a turd and so was my MKIV until I spent several hundred on VQ upgrades. I have no experience with the Sig.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are way better than most centerfire triggers out of the box, but it's worth it to install the Volquartsen trigger kits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the Kel-tec 22mag and put a FarrowTech brace on it. The brace was flimsy as hell. I really wanted to like it but couldn’t. A piece that looked like it was 3D printed broke off before I even got an actual use of the gun in and they sent me a new pieces, which looked like different material. Between the ultra plastic feel of the Kel-tec and the flimsy FarrowTech brace it was a cheap setup and I ditched it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh...

-If you are doing slow fire type shooting, you'll notice the grit and imperfections. If you shoot with any kind of speed at all, you won't.

-The stock triggers clean up and wear in with use.

I have a stock 22/45 Lite and a VQ Scorpion, and I shoot both semi-regularly. Both have a whole bunch of ammo down the pipe. The biggest difference I notice in the trigger is the comfort and quality of the trigger shoe itself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends an awful lot on the use case. If it's for target shooting, probably the 22/45. If it's a plinker/practice/maybe varmint gun then the P322 or FN. For what it's worth I picked up a P322 last year and I like it a lot more than the ISSC M22 and P22 that I used to have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or just by the VQ version, and save yourself the time and trouble.  
View Quote

I like the looks of the Ruger better and it's really not that hard to install the VQ parts.  You really can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought the Mark IV tactical.  Mine’s alloy not SS though.  Everyone that shoots it suppressed smiles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
If it's in the budget, Volquartsen. If it's not, Ruger with Volquartsen guts. I like the 2245 tactical but if you don't want a light/laser, go with the lite model and save some weight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a Mark IV with full VQ internals, installed by VQ (top):

https://i.imgur.com/Q2dGuMc.jpg

While it's far nicer than the stock trigger, it's not in the same zip code as my buddy's Black Mamba.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, that problem was solved by the Mark IV quite a while ago.  As in disassembly and reassembly in under 30 seconds, with time for intro chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsBA8jck5vg

But the Buckmark has a better trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Mk IV made the goofy reassembly process much easier, or so I hear. I still have a Mk III which requires a trip to YouTube every ~1500rds when it's time to clean it

Yeah, that problem was solved by the Mark IV quite a while ago.  As in disassembly and reassembly in under 30 seconds, with time for intro chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsBA8jck5vg

But the Buckmark has a better trigger.

The mk 2 and 3 aren’t that bad. It’s all about the “rocking” of the hammer bar. I made a rambly video a couple years ago for people to see exactly how it works.

Disassemble and reassemble a Ruger Mark 2 in under a minuet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a lot of 22 pistols, almost all of which can be suppressed (which is why I keep buying 22 cans). But for just S&G and keeping friends entertained in the backyard.

Attachment Attached File

I'm between optics at the moment, and I'm thinking about the Farrrowtech brace.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Do not get the FN. By far the worst firearm purchase of the last 20 years for me
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Ruger Charger. It sucks as a traditional pistol and shines with a brace (or stock) or shooting sling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Ruger MK4 22/45 Tactical (40149) with the VQ internals.

add can and RMR type optic.

You wont be unhappy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do not get the FN. By far the worst firearm purchase of the last 20 years for me
View Quote

Oh man that sucks.  Mine has been a joy so far.  Only issues with any ammo type so far has been when I don't clean it after suppressor use.  Cycles with a Vortex Venom on top, ejects, feeds, etc.  When it's very dirty, it will sometimes not return to battery all the way.  What happened with yours?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Keltec CP33 with suppressor, and there are some extending stock /Brace attachments for it
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Ruger MK IV tactical, not the 22/45 version.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I just got a 322......runs like a champ.  Suppressed 100% with the 25rd mags.  Also have a buckmark and a ruger mk (integral).....all run 100%, but the 322 holds 25rnds.  Winner
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#44]
SW22 Victory at $399.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#46]
.22/45 family photo, 3 generations, MkII, III and IV.  All of these have VQ hammers and sears. See-All sights are the smallest sights that work with my astigmatism, outside of using irons.

The MkII has had many thousands of rounds through it.  I made the extended mag release button and slide release myself out of brass.  I ground the existing hardware flat and made the button on a lathe and the extended release by hand with a file out of brass bar stock.  They are screwed and loctited in place and have held up for about 10 years.  Yeah it's a WECSOG job but it works and made mag changes faster.

I have a stainless MkIII hunter too but it was buried too deep in the safe to dig out for a Pic.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I sell a lot of Chargers.  I sell it b/c the magazine is a standard.  I don't want one, but quite a few folks do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#48]
TX22 for a handgun

MKIV is limited mag capacity which sucks

the Chargers are a great guns

FN502 sucks donkey balls
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Personal preference really. I have most of the guns on the list.

I like the MKIV 22/45's for a suppressor host because unlike most of the other guns on the list, you don't have to remove anything to take the gun apart and clean it. Suppressor hosts will get filthy so I like easy to clean hosts and the Ruger MKIV's are the easiest to clean and they have a huge aftermarket support if you like to customize your guns.

Biggest downside to the MK's is magazine capacity. Guns like the TX22 and P322 have proven all those old internet myths about rimfire mags not being all to hold more then 10rd is BS. So if you care about capacity and/or you are looking for more of a "trainer" style pistol, I really like the P322. I have the TX22 as well and while the price on the TX is nice, I think P322 is the overall better gun between the 2 of them.

If Ruger would come out with an MK-V 22/45 that adds a metal frame and 15-20rd capacity mags then I would probably buy a couple of them and sell all my other rimfire pistols.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]
MK IV or Buckmark

The Sig 322 looks interesting but I haven’t tried one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top