Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So, you were SF?  And SF junked the 92 every 5500 rounds?  At that point, did the Army pass the weapon down to other units or was it actually taken out of service?

26 of 31 years.

Designated units within the United States Special Operations Command.

What the Army did with 'em once we turned them in I haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's my understanding.

The Seals got a bunch of euro smg ammo and was shooting the hell out of it.

I can attest to the fact that it shouldn't be shot in pistols regularly, if at all. Shit be hot, yo.

The rest are probably just high volume, worn spring failures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit tons of +P SMG ammo?

That's my understanding.

The Seals got a bunch of euro smg ammo and was shooting the hell out of it.

I can attest to the fact that it shouldn't be shot in pistols regularly, if at all. Shit be hot, yo.

The rest are probably just high volume, worn spring failures.
No, NATO shit is just hot

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

26 of 31 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you were SF?  And SF junked the 92 every 5500 rounds?  At that point, did the Army pass the weapon down to other units or was it actually taken out of service?

26 of 31 years.

Do you know what they do with the Sigs and Glocks they now have?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Uhhh.  Shoot 'em?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope the trigger return springs last longer than mine did...less than 500 rounds, way less.
View Quote

I believe thats been corrected as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

26 of 31 years.

They recycle the Glocks into cans of C4 pre workout after 5K. Sorta the same thing for Sigs except those are made into cans of Rip-It.

Its the Special Operations Green Guns Initiative, or SOGGI.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
M882 9mm NATO is not a +P equivalent.  Look up Army Small Caliber Ammunition Data Sheets (there are a couple of on-line .pdfs) and look at page 12-5.

A360 115-grain 9mm Ball for submachineguns is pretty hot stuff and is NOT authorized for use in the M9.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M882 9mm NATO is not a +P equivalent.  Look up Army Small Caliber Ammunition Data Sheets (there are a couple of on-line .pdfs) and look at page 12-5.

A360 115-grain 9mm Ball for submachineguns is pretty hot stuff and is NOT authorized for use in the M9.
View Quote

SAAMI limit for standard pressure 9mm: 35,001 psi. M882 max pressure: 36,250 psi. It's not loaded to the max for +P, but it does fall in the +P range.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.  My engineer battalion had shit weapons.  Not because the design was bad, because they were not being maintained other than cleaning and were old/worn.  Spare parts were non-existent and the armorers had no idea what he was doing.  No proactive replacement of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever see how NCOs instruct their guys to maintain weapons? That, combined with general failure for the military to grasp the concept of legitimate maintenance.

Scrub the finish off of it? Hell yes!
Scrape the crown with a Gerber to remove carbon? Fuck yeah!
Use it for years after it's due for replacement? Sign us up!
Order replacement springs after 5,000 rounds? GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE, CUNT!

Same reason the 249, M16, 1911, M2 and MK19 all have a shit reputation for reliability.

This.  My engineer battalion had shit weapons.  Not because the design was bad, because they were not being maintained other than cleaning and were old/worn.  Spare parts were non-existent and the armorers had no idea what he was doing.  No proactive replacement of anything.

Pine Sol is the best weapons cleaner ever.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I qualified in 2008, they handed me one fresh out of the box, as in brand spanking new, and I qualified expert with it having never even held one before.  There are pistols I like more, but it isn't awful.

Edit: just proved JIA's point

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The very first qual with the m9 at one of my units was cancelled after a couple  m9 slides gave out in 86. The only ammo they had was sub gun ammo and it was too hot.  LOL.  Had to wait for some std pressure ammo to arrive.  Whoops.

These were brand spanking new weapons. I can't imagine a clunky rattletrap that is now 30 yrs old.

My brother's unit got the M9s before mine did. He told me his guys would line up the sights, then pull their head to the side before pulling the trigger.

I hated the M9. Worst trigger I've ever experienced on a firearm. I could barely qualify with it.

You must he a pretty terrible pistol shooter if you could barely qualify with it.

When I qualified in 2008, they handed me one fresh out of the box, as in brand spanking new, and I qualified expert with it having never even held one before.  There are pistols I like more, but it isn't awful.

Edit: just proved JIA's point

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I qualified expert as well having never held an M9 before. I quite liked it, mild recoil , the trigger seemed O.K.

fundamentals, how do they work?!

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
We always shot A363....which is m882. I don't recall what fragile ammo was but I recall it seeming to be hot

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Every gun will fail eventually without replacing worn parts. Trash can glocks included, but if you maintain them they will last a hell of a lot longer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a thing about Euro 9mm being loaded hotter for the subguns quite a while back. And open top design. All i got.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My buddy who sold me his 92 years ago saw me and asked if I still had it. So I took it out and shot it a little, I had forgotten that it was ( for me) pretty accurate. But there was a thread here with photos of piles of 92s with broken slides from military training.

Are these pistols just way beyond service life, is the slide just too weak, lack of maintance?
View Quote

Because they don't change out recoil springs according to maintenance protocols.........
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup. But Beretta was supposed to have addressed it after the problem cropped up.

Prior to its widespread adoption by the U.S. military, questions were raised in a 1987 General Accounting Office report after an incident where a slide failure on a Beretta 92SB injured a Naval Special Warfare member,[13] and two more failures were later observed in additional testing. These failures included both military and civilian Beretta models with very high round counts, and after investigation they were deemed the result of ammunition supplied by the U.S. Army which exceeded the recommended pressures specified by NATO but nonetheless provoked a modification in the M9 design to prevent slide failure from causing injuries to the user.

Wiki
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Never saw a broken slide.

Heard of a few on tne Seal teams in Coronado

Ps..they were NOT shooting standard ball ammo.  As i recall they were even heavier than the 147gr rounds.

Years ago

Have seen cracked locking blcks. Most issues are caused by poor maintenance.

No matter what pistol is used, troops will bitch about them in time

My 92f never has had an issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
My 92FS Vertec a piece of the frame broke off at 70k rounds.  The slide and locking block were still fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Was friends with an armorer for the Maryland state police; part of his job was servicing the issued Beretta 96 they were forced to adopt because the Beretta plant used to be located in Maryland.

He said  he had to replace a lot of cracked locking blocks, but that Beretta did try to fix the issue with tougher, updated locking blocks.  Wasn't sure what they did to make them tougher, but he said they broke less often.

As for .mil, the issue ammo is a 124 grain bullet loaded to 9mm NATO standards.  NATO does not follow SAAMI pressure specifications.

But 9mm NATO is roughly equivalent to what we cal "+p" in civilian lingo in the USA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That hasn't really been an issue for a long time.

USMC armorer from 11-15 and never saw or heard of any slides breaking during that time period.  About the only part that failed regularly was the locking block.

Was friends with an armorer for the Maryland state police; part of his job was servicing the issued Beretta 96 they were forced to adopt because the Beretta plant used to be located in Maryland.

He said  he had to replace a lot of cracked locking blocks, but that Beretta did try to fix the issue with tougher, updated locking blocks.  Wasn't sure what they did to make them tougher, but he said they broke less often.

As for .mil, the issue ammo is a 124 grain bullet loaded to 9mm NATO standards.  NATO does not follow SAAMI pressure specifications.

But 9mm NATO is roughly equivalent to what we cal "+p" in civilian lingo in the USA.

This.  124 grn NATO is pretty hot.  Recoil springs rarely get changed.  Actually I have never seen a slide crack, but have seen a shit ton of locking blocks break.

The new locking blocks are better but will eventually fail.  I don't particularly care for this gun but have tons of trigger time with it.  I have won several competitions/awards with it so shoot it reasonably well.  But it is still the hardest gun for me to shoot fast and accurately with.

As an aside:  The shitty phosphate magazines work great if you oil them then use them enough to smooth down the finish.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've read this was a big part of it.  And the cut out in the slide is obviously a weak point.  The 92 "FS" was meant to keep the slide from hitting the shooter in the face when it broke.  From wiki:

"The FS has an enlarged hammer pin that fits into a groove on the underside of the slide. The main purpose is to stop the slide from flying off the frame to the rear if it cracks. This was in response to reported defective slides during U.S. Military testing.["
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For those who may have missed it (from January):

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine broke, pretty alarming
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope the trigger return springs last longer than mine did...less than 500 rounds, way less.

What was the build date? They switched trigger return springs because of them breaking prematurely.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a 92G Brigadier slide if you're worried about a weak slide.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My buddy who sold me his 92 years ago saw me and asked if I still had it. So I took it out and shot it a little, I had forgotten that it was ( for me) pretty accurate. But there was a thread here with photos of piles of 92s with broken slides from military training.

Are these pistols just way beyond service life, is the slide just too weak, lack of maintance?
View Quote

Worn springs, lack of proper maintenance, etc. I was never in the military but am I a Beretta fan and I've heard PLENTY of horror stories from family and friends in the military of soldiers either OVER-cleaning or not cleaning weapons at all and also not maintaining them. Recoil springs need to be switched out every 5k rounds for pretty much ANY gun. I've owned about 8 different Berettas over the years and NEVER had a problem. People don't maintain their shit, especially the military.

ETA: read above, forgot about the 124gr Nato. That is a hot cookie too LOL but it really boils down to lack of maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ever see how NCOs instruct their guys to maintain weapons? That, combined with general failure for the military to grasp the concept of legitimate maintenance.

Order replacement springs after 5,000 rounds? GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE, CUNT!

Same reason the 249, M16, 1911, M2 and MK19 all have a shit reputation for reliability.
View Quote

I gotta agree. Some of the shit we were told to do in the spirit of keeping a weapon 'clean'....
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I gotta agree. Some of the shit we were told to do in the spirit of keeping a weapon 'clean'....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is all the solid truth. Quite frankly, I don't think it'll matter what gun they get. They'll find a way to destroy it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uhhh.  Shoot 'em?
View Quote

That cracked me up.

thanks for postins, Sinister, always interesting to see your experiences with this stuff.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has. My first Beretta 92FS broke the trigger return spring after a few thousand rounds so I bought 5 to have spares that turned out to be a little thicker. The Vertec I bought later also had a thicker trigger return spring that never broke so I still have 4 spare trigger return springs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Worn springs, lack of proper maintenance, etc. I was never in the military but am I a Beretta fan and I've heard PLENTY of horror stories from family and friends in the military of soldiers either OVER-cleaning or not cleaning weapons at all and also not maintaining them. Recoil springs need to be switched out every 5k rounds for pretty much ANY gun. I've owned about 8 different Berettas over the years and NEVER had a problem. People don't maintain their shit, especially the military.

ETA: read above, forgot about the 124gr Nato. That is a hot cookie too LOL but it really boils down to lack of maintenance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biggest problem with the Beretta 92 is just what you're saying here--Maintenance. Keep on top of the springs, and the locking blocks, and they'll go for a good long while.

I do have one minor point, though--I think the broken slide issue actually goes back to another source than the "officially sanctioned explanation". If you were to take my personal, Italian-made Beretta 92FS, which was supposedly identical to the M9 made in Accokeek, and then do a comparison of the quality of machining that went into them...? The Italian gun had much smoother, much nicer cuts. The earlier Accokeek pistols I was issued were rough as f**k, and you could look inside the slide where the recesses for the locking block were machined, and see where there were rougher spots along the inner edges of the machine cuts. The Italian version I had showed much sharper definition, and cleaner work. Plus that, the gun just felt overall "smoother". The issue M9, you'd go to pull the slide back and you could feel the difference--The Italian one was like glass, and the M9 was like pulling through gravel.

I think a lot of those slide breakages started with stress cracks propagating from those rougher cuts, coupled with the hot ammo that was being fired by some units.

One thing I will note, though: My Glock 19 swallowed over a thousand rounds of what I was told was standard-issue ball ammo from Israel. What I was actually firing was some crap that had been loaded up for the Uzi, and hadn't been color-coded with the black paint on the nose of the round. When I saw the dealer I bought it from, he blanched, and told me I needed to a.) not fire it, and b.) return it to him for an exchange. Seems he'd sold a bunch of it to one of the local police departments as cheap training ammo, and they had broken two or three of the slides on their Beretta 92 pistols in training, and when he'd gone back to the source on it, they were like, "Oh, yeah... The carbine ammo? Yeah, that'll do that, when you fire it in a pistol...". So, the same load that blew up a couple of what I think were Accokeek Berettas after just a couple of boxes went through a Glock 19 without issue, and only produced a really impressive muzzle flash for me. Firing that on a dark range was really kinda cool, because there was this huge-ass fireball with that stuff that made you think you were firing some kinda cannon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My buddy who sold me his 92 years ago...
View Quote

You're fibbing.

They didn't exist 92 years ago and...neither did you.

sheesh...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is all the solid truth. Quite frankly, I don't think it'll matter what gun they get. They'll find a way to destroy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at AF weapons, they are beat to shit and for the most part never see combat.

The average AF weapon is gouged up and beat to shit 90% handling and maintenance related and about 10% shooting or combat related.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have changed the type of steel and heat treatment to address this issue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Little to no maintenance and a steady diet of the equvalent of +P.
View Quote

This is the answer you seek.  Normal use and following manufacturer's instructions and that 92/96 will be functioning just fine 100 years from now.
Beretta still has the highest QC and manufacturing standards in the business today.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
My old now closed indoor range had Beretta 92, really popular gun to rent when it is working, the problem is the locking block. It would break them pretty frequently.
BTW The most reliable gun Glock 17, went 500,000 and broke the slide. Up until then zero maintenance except for cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I was an armored on the M9 platform for a decade. Great pistol, assuming maintenance cycles are kept up with. I never found it to be a good service weapon. It's way too easy to dislodge various springs within the weapon during cleaning. Example, that trigger bar return spring.

I had to detail strip far too many of these for my liking. They are seriously over complicated. I had an Officer roll down a dirt hill on his retention holster and jam the gun full of debris. The slide had to be beaten open due to all the debris that fell in around the locking lugs on top of the slide. I had to strip the gun to the frame and boil the parts in water to get the grit out of it. Later we moved to Glocks. Mother of god are they easy to take care of. They're damn near retard proof.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Most likely because it's shot too much with a worn spring.
View Quote

That is my thought too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was an armored on the M9 platform for a decade. Great pistol, assuming maintenance cycles are kept up with. I never found it to be a good service weapon. It's way too easy to dislodge various springs within the weapon during cleaning. Example, that trigger bar return spring.

I had to detail strip far too many of these for my liking. They are seriously over complicated. I had an Officer roll down a dirt hill on his retention holster and jam the gun full of debris. The slide had to be beaten open due to all the debris that fell in around the locking lugs on top of the slide. I had to strip the gun to the frame and boil the parts in water to get the grit out of it. Later we moved to Glocks. Mother of god are they easy to take care of. They're damn near retard proof.

View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^

'strewth, that right there. My Berettas all got sold for just these reasons--The damn things are finicky, overly complex, and not amenable to being abused. The Glocks that replaced them? Seriously hard to screw up, simple (and, cheap!) to maintain, and just all-around more effective defense guns. Ugly as fuck, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Hot rounds and a weak design.  That's why they came out with the "brigadier" slide, with more reinforcement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#42]
humble brag: my newest pistol is a Wilson 92G Brigadier and the thing is built like a brick shithouse. I love it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Little to no maintenance and a steady diet of the equvalent of +P.
View Quote

That's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My brother's unit got the M9s before mine did. He told me his guys would line up the sights, then pull their head to the side before pulling the trigger.

I hated the M9. Worst trigger I've ever experienced on a firearm. I could barely qualify with it.

View Quote
Did you pull the hammer back?

or are you not allowed to shoot single action?

I don't know how anyone could not shoot the M9 well unless you were using double action only all the time.

It's the first 'high' power handgun (after using a Ruger Mark3) I let all my new shooters use....and they shoot exceptionally well.

The intent of the fire arm design, is not: carry safety on and hammer down...

Carried practically: safety off, hammer down....draw & pull hammer back, shoot.

The 'safety'...is a de-cocker....that can act as a safety.

Hence it's location (as stipulated by the US mil) on the slide.

Original Berettas were designed and built (the way Taurus is today since Beretta sold the Brazilian plant to Taurus) safety on the frame and it was carried like a 1911.

The US gov specified (at the time): Must be US made (hence relocation to Maryland and sale of Brazilian plant), decocker (they didn't want the intimidating look of 'hammer cocked' while holstered), 9mm (so wimpy's could qualify), large capacity magazine.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Lol. No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

5500 rounds.

Seriously, that's what it was spec'ed for and that was the planned life -- no more, no less.

Lol. No.
really....that's in the top 3 greatest BS's about the Beretta I've read.

Mine is pushing over 20k....I changed the recoil spring once a while back just because.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Recycled many times, but here are some pics (first is from 2011 at the All-Army Championships at Benning:

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#47]
See, you're special.  Uncle Sam says what he required for all the guns HE bought.

If you told any American the pistol he was about to buy won't go 5,000 rounds without breaking something he'd burst a vessel and froth and spit.  Especially if he bought a Kimber or a Nighthawk.  

Uncle Sam don't care -- he stated his minimums.  He keeps the vendors' feet to the fire by putting a government inspector who tests weapons in each lot to destruction.  If they fail they have to fix it.  If the batch fails it's rejected.  If the next batch fails they may have to "Show cause" as to why they should keep their contract.

The average single GI isn't going to shoot that damn thing 5,000 rounds in a 20-year career.

Quoted:
Mine is pushing over 20k....I changed the recoil spring once a while back just because.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5500 rounds.

Seriously, that's what it was spec'ed for and that was the planned life -- no more, no less.

Lol. No.

When an M9 goes in for depot re-build they can put all the brand-new parts you want on it -- but a peened and worn aluminum frame isn't going to fit any better than a peened and worn M1911A1 frame.

The M9 isn't a bad gun.  It works.  But it ain't infallible, either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#48]
SMG ammo tends to break them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before there was 882, they did use smg ammo in the beretta.  There by causing the broken slides initially
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top