Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

In a prepared statement Castro said: 'As much as I am shocked and ecstatic to have won the Powerball drawing, the real winner is the California public school system.'

The education system will receive over $150 million as a result of the win.
View Quote

lol...

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was daydreaming about winning that much money not once did I think about buying a mansion in California.
View Quote

This !!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And in a few years it will be worth a fraction of that and unsellable.

In the Hollywood Hills, he can always get most, if not all, of his $25M back if he tires of California.  

View Quote
Hollywood hills is not the only place in which property values appreciate.
Yes, some people build mansions in areas where there is a nonexistent resale market for such homes, but it's not like Hollywood is the only viable option.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
25% of his total winnings on a single house.

He will be broke within 2 years.

ETA: I read it as him taking home 100 million. So yes, I know my math is off.
View Quote

2.5% of cash available it pretty small amount for a house, and it's paid off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

California does not take income taxes out of lottery winnings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over a billion in taxes?

Fuck.

ETA

Or was it the lump sum payout, after taxes?

I believe that was the lump sum payout after the 24% withholding.
That amount is likely still subject to the overall 37% fed rate(minus the 24% withholding) and State income taxes.

California does not take income taxes out of lottery winnings.

Was surprised to learn that. I knew a handful of states don't tax winners but never guessed one of them was Cali.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ll bet the neighbors are stoked about this! There’s about to be a party in the hood LOL
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Trusts can own real estate.  I'd look into buying land through a trust in a State that did not require you to put trusts on file with the State.  Pay lawyer to pay the taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you walk away with 700 million or so you'd figure that you would have the necessary money to hire a team of professionals to hide everything you do behind a series of trusts and legal entities that aren't obviously you.

Trusts can own real estate.  I'd look into buying land through a trust in a State that did not require you to put trusts on file with the State.  Pay lawyer to pay the taxes.

What about buying real estate through LLCs? Is that a good way to hide the real owner of property?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The guy's name is literally, Castro! Where the hell else but Kommiefornia would he go?
View Quote

Canada
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe this guy doesn’t want to live on a ranch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see John Paul DeJjoria (Paul Mitchell Hair Products founder) in my grocery store. He lives a pretty normal life on ranch. Being a billionaire is not difficult if you have a little common sense.

Maybe this guy doesn’t want to live on a ranch.

Nothing wrong with that, my point is you can live where ever you want to and blend like every one else. GD makes it sound like such a burden to be wealthy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Babes.
View Quote

That's also a dumb way to do it. You have a weekend condo at the beach for that. Keeps the crazier ones out of your life.

In that area you can roll around in a neon Lamborghini and not get a 2nd look. A 200k land rover is just the family car.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What would you do with 4 ranches? Lease some of them out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had ranches picked out in MT, WY, ID and TX totaling $50 million. It's stupid to stay in cash unless you can get some of that sweet 5%+ on t-bills, cd's and money markets.

What would you do with 4 ranches? Lease some of them out?

I wouldn't own 4, maybe two.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
The education system will receive over $150 million as a result of the win.

In a prepared statement Castro said: 'As much as I am shocked and ecstatic to have won the Powerball drawing, the real winner is the California public school system.'
View Quote

That's a total lie. Both of my parents worked in the California school system and my mother was involved in school budgeting. At least in the 1980s the State of California wouldn't add the lottery money to the budget, they just decreased how much the districts received by the same amount.

If that wasn't clear I'll give an example. A school has a 200k budget, the lottery comes in with 50k for the school so California then only gives the school 150k and they keep the rest for commie shit.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Only $947,000,000 left.

He can only spend 1.7 million a year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Math is hard. He won $2.04 billion pre tax . $997 million post tax
View Quote

Wrong, that was the cash value,  he still has to pay taxes on $997 million.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
By choosing the lump sum, Castro receives $997.6 million, but that's before taxes. USA TODAY estimated the winner of the jackpot would probably be left with $628.5 million after taxes, assuming no other deductions.

fwiw
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What about buying real estate through LLCs? Is that a good way to hide the real owner of property?
View Quote

LLCs have to register with the State they're formed in and the officers are public info, I think.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$25M on that in the PRC when he could have spent $25M on this?

Idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw_AJOYzt0w
View Quote

VERY well done, needs lotsa kids to make it pay off. Helicopter delivered teaching? Needs shooting range. Getting too old now
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

VERY well done, needs lotsa kids to make it pay off. Helicopter delivered teaching? Needs shooting range. Getting too old now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$25M on that in the PRC when he could have spent $25M on this?

Idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw_AJOYzt0w

The shower fits 3.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Statistically, he'll be broke within a few years.
View Quote

Statistically, most broke dick lottery winners never won a billion in cash.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Good for him.

Hope he doesn't lose sight of what is really important.

It ain't those dollars.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd buy big, but not in CA.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No one would ever know where I lived and it would not be California...buying some big ego box like that will do nothing but draw negative attention. This will not end well.
View Quote

This. Hell, most of the people i know, especially most relatives.  wouldn't have a clue where i disappeared off to.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He took the lump sum and with that carries a penalty
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% in taxes?

He took the lump sum and with that carries a penalty

It's not a penalty.  The jackpot was never worth $2.04 Billion in the first place.  $2.04 Billion was the sum of annuity payments over 29 years.  That the lottery gets to advertise it as a $2.04 Billion jackpot in the first place is intentionally deceptive advertising bordering on lawful fraud.

There was never $2.04 Billion set aside to pay the jackpot winner at any point from the wagers collected.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’d buy it and give it to the homeless
View Quote

That is Insanity Wolf level trolling, brilliant.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’d buy it and give it to the homeless
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#26]
If I had 2 billion dollars the only reason I would buy a mansion in Hollywood would be to burn it down for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just google the name Abraham Shakespear…How that brother wound up is a case study in what not to do after hitting the lottery…Keep your mouth shut and quietly move far away from friends and family…Live nicely but still well below your means and keep a low profile.Never let on that you’re wealthy.
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Jeez, I buy a personal villa somewhere in the Caribbean on a private island. Somewhere corrupt enough to where I can bribe the government to leave me alone. A place where I can have all the MGs I want.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All rich people are potential targets, so you just hire security. He is one of the more wealthy people there though, as he has 1B cash,  He is stacked and its cool hes young and not a 74 year old dying cancer victim. hell, he's got almost 3X more than Tay Tay's entire net worth.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/taytay-177.gif

View Quote

Ten year treasuries are paying over 4% right now. That’s 40 million a year relatively no risk income. 40 Million. Wouldn’t be hard to beat that with very little risk. So he spent 25 mil on a house? Phhhht.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Jeez, I buy a personal villa somewhere in the Caribbean on a private island. Somewhere corrupt enough to where I can bribe the government to leave me alone. A place where I can have all the MGs I want.
View Quote

If you don't mind the Pacific instead, Vanuatu is a fine choice. They're small enough I'm sure that kind of money could buy whatever you want.

Only $150k for citizenship, no extradition treaty with the US, and a beautiful island backdrop:

Not that I've given this any thought or anything.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd love to see the annual tax bill on that ugly piece of shit house. Los Angeles metro has got to gets their money out of this place fo sho.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Broke inside several years.
View Quote

Nearly all lottery winners are.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Broke inside several years.
View Quote

[Austrian]Lol[/Austrian]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#34]
You buy big and you never had to earn it. He’ll lose it. Just the money his dumb a$$ will pay in taxes will eat at that fortune. Not to mention the up keep.

I would buy several nice houses near some cool places and a few nice cars to get me there. You can get a smaller older house near the beach in California for a million or two. Same for Florida.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Could live anywhere... and he goes to California. He deserves whatever he gets.
View Quote

LOL, this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
25% of his total winnings on a single house.

He will be broke within 2 years.

ETA: I read it as him taking home 100 million. So yes, I know my math is off.

Taxes are apparently hard, too.

By choosing the lump sum, Castro receives $997.6 million, but that's before taxes. USA TODAY estimated the winner of the jackpot would probably be left with $628.5 million after taxes, assuming no other deductions.

$628 million post federal tax. I don't know if CA takes their pound of flesh, too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I see John Paul DeJjoria (Paul Mitchell Hair Products founder) in my grocery store. He lives a pretty normal life on ranch. Being a billionaire is not difficult if you have a little common sense.
View Quote

He also owns Patron tequila. His daughter is homely, but loaded
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you don't mind the Pacific instead, Vanuatu is a fine choice. They're small enough I'm sure that kind of money could buy whatever you want.

Only $150k for citizenship, no extradition treaty with the US, and a beautiful island backdrop:

https://i.imgur.com/Ili0ZgU.jpg

Not that I've given this any thought or anything.
View Quote
Works for me..... As long as I can have my own private range on my own private villa on my own private island and not be bothered by the government for owning M2 Brownings and shooting them at piles of C4 that are wired for the July 4 fireworks show, all while I'm drinking my own rum that I made on my villa without a government permit and smoking cigars.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#39]
If I had his kind of money, I would quit my job tomorrow, build a house on my land, and buy my neighbors land, and then buy some cattle and be a rancher. And buy a summer home in Pagosa springs Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good for him but I'd be leaving California.

Montana, Texas, and Florida is where I'd be buying property

I wonder what the property taxes on a 25mil house is in California?
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Then all other purchases are through a trust or LLC. With that kind of "fuck you" money I'd probably buy and announce a house Santa Barbara or something and never actually live there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#41]
He will be broke. If I had won hat kind of money I would be happy with a 1 to 2 million home on the MS gulf coast. I would have a nice
hunting land in AL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Cool views but I’d buy a beach house in Florida on the Gulf.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LLCs have to register with the State they're formed in and the officers are public info, I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. And most states make membership publicly viewable, so using LLCs (even a complex series of holding companies, fractional ownership, etc.) just makes people spend a little more time figuring out what you own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

My man
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I would have found the biggest piece of land available in Montana Oregon or WA   maybe wyo but no desolate shit but thats me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Canoeguy

One small overlook and we pile on.
View Quote

It could be worse, he could have arjoe’s EE number.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The allure of the Caribbean for US citizens is that the area can be reached fairly quickly by air or sea. The pacific is a long trip and essentially requires you fly via commercial aircraft (considering the range of most private aircraft). Flying (either commercial or private) means you have to ask permission to travel and are tracked. If you really needed to drop out of sight for a while, a boat ride to the Caribbean feels like a much better answer. There are plenty of destinations in that locale that would work. They’ll generally involve more of a conversation with officials there, though, versus seeing write-ups in a news website.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
dammm urkrane couldve used that money....
View Quote

Yes it should seized from him and gone into the war effort. We are all threatened by Ukraine and he should pay up
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The allure of the Caribbean for US citizens is that the area can be reached fairly quickly by air or sea. The pacific is a long trip and essentially requires you fly via commercial aircraft (considering the range of most private aircraft). Flying (either commercial or private) means you have to ask permission to travel and are tracked. If you really needed to drop out of sight for a while, a boat ride to the Caribbean feels like a much better answer. There are plenty of destinations in that locale that would work. They’ll generally involve more of a conversation with officials there, though, versus seeing write-ups in a news website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. I guess if you're not actually wanted by US courts it would be more convenient.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top