BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well…

Made it through episode one. It is truly terrible.

I’m betting it doesn’t improve.
View Quote

I have to agree.
I'm not a fan anyway. I have not seen the hobbit movies. I hated reading the books as it was forced on me in grade school.
This was slow, sappy, & made little sense to me.  At least with LOTR there was a good verbal/showing of what the hell was going on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Unsurprisingly Amazon and SJW media are attempting to sell the narrative that the only reason this show is getting bad reviews is because of racists and trolls.  Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the show.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I suffered through the first 2 episodes last night.

It was worse than I thought it would be. Awful acting made for truly forgettable characters.

The whole gurl powerrr schtick w/ Guyladriel, Disa, and Nori ruins it as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Unsurprisingly Amazon and SJW media are attempting to sell the narrative that the only reason this show is getting bad reviews is because of racists and trolls.  Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the show.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/1D121A46-9766-4F16-9CA7-25840B8AB6D6_jpe-2512955.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/94861C20-6811-4FF2-97BA-8EB5EECDDF48_jpe-2512956.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/F6E5F5E2-3DA7-4D25-A6D9-FC6B879567E4_jpe-2512957.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/1D121A46-9766-4F16-9CA7-25840B8AB6D6_jpe-2512955.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/94861C20-6811-4FF2-97BA-8EB5EECDDF48_jpe-2512956.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/F6E5F5E2-3DA7-4D25-A6D9-FC6B879567E4_jpe-2512957.JPG

https://media4.giphy.com/media/5bs3vKnoX9xLPAiwy9/200.gif

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel like it took way to long to get to the point and there is still half the team off on side quests
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It's fucking SLOW.
Really really SLOW.
There is way too much filler.
I could give a fuck about the race/creed/religion of the actors that are portraying the characters, but for fucks sake, they should have hired actors with talent.
I could cut the first two episodes and make a good webisode of 15 minutes or so.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Visually it looks amazing but the acting is terrible.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was worse than I thought it would be. Awful acting made for truly forgettable characters.

View Quote

I just noticed this thread and agree....omg the first thing I noticed was the gurl power and diversity shoved in our faces. And none of the characters are interesting. Makes me want to root for the orcs ffs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only made it through the first one, yes bad acting, it seems to directed as if you already supposed to know what was going on making it hard follow let alone get sucked in unlike the movies where you are captivated by the story from beginning to end. To make matters worse it is saturated with so much SJW bullcrap I wanted to puke.

Has not Amazon been watching their competitor Netflix and the toll the Left Wing SJW crap has taken on their business?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, bad acting and no really likeable characters as of yet.  Very, very, VERY slow....as it holy shit I'm gonna fall asleep.

Harfoots are all annoying as hell, no way I'd give Ewoks a bad name and compare the 2 like that.  I wish the meteor would have landed on the village.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm surprised it's that high on the audience score.  Even without the constant woke messages it's just not well written or engaging at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve watched the two new episodes, so what that there are black elves and black dwarves.  It’s a good show.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I watched it.  In some ways, it ain’t bad.  The worst part is how wantonly they are re-writing shit and changing established mythos.  

Gandalf came much later and on a boat, not shot out of a cannon and dropped on a bunch of Harfoots as a meteor.  
View Quote

That's why it isn't well received.

The characters could all be black and the plot whatever they want and no one would care if it was something new rather than attempting to recreate and change a popular classic.

Same shit with Marvel's race bending. Just make a new character ffs.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm surprised it's that high on the audience score.  Even without the constant woke messages it's just not well written or engaging at all.
View Quote

Dropped to 34 after that now 37 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
As horrible as this show's portrayal of Galadriel might be, it could be worse.

Watching college football today I keep seeing commercials for new TV shows where the main character is an old and/or fat woman playing a seemingly "badass" LEO.  Imagine if they cast Melissa McCarthy to play Galadriel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]

That seems much more likely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That seems much more likely.
View Quote

I screenshotted the first minute it dropped in case RT bumped it to 99 and froze it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Watching college football today I keep seeing commercials for new TV shows where the main character is an old and/or fat woman playing a seemingly "badass" LEO.  Imagine if they cast Melissa McCarthy to play Galadriel.
View Quote

See my “media’s latest - hot women threads” that GD keeps demanding me banned for
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean, how they cast Queen Latifah in The Equalizer
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’ve watched the two new episodes, so what that there are black elves and black dwarves.  It’s a good show.
View Quote

Has nothing to do with there being black elves and dwarves or female leads.  It's the fact they are changing existing storylines to fit them in and taking it to an extreme.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#24]

I shut it off after three minutes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These were all new shows that came out or will come recently, but, yeah, that's another one.

That's one of the best (or "worst") examples too.  "Our show needs a badass lead. Hmm... I KNOW!  Let's cast an obese black woman in her 50s!"
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

These were all new shows that came out or will come recently, but, yeah, that's another one.

That's one of the best (or "worst") examples too.  "Our show needs a badass lead. Hmm... I KNOW!  Let's cast an obese black woman in her 50s!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What were these new shows? I want to laugh too!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I barely remember (thank Christ).  One was about some "sassy" fat black woman cop that was probably over 50 (no, not the one Queen Latifa one) and the other was about a skinny white woman who looked like was probably over 50 too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#28]
This one is for the people that know the books because they've read them AND they liked them ... and yes, language warning, mostly towards the end.

JSG is ... center-left or left, possibly independent, knows and likes the books; outlines some of the stupidly bad mistakes they made regarding the source. Not "we had to convert it for the different format" mistakes.

The Rings of Power: Worse Than I Feared

---------------------

ETA:

Metacritic user score of 1.9 out of 100 with 644 user reviews, critics score of 71 with 37 reviews.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Watched the first episode.  It would have been great as a standalone story that just shamelessly borrowed from Tolkien like 90% of fantasy has for decades now,  It is an abomination to anyone who's read Tolkien because it just doesn't mesh at all with what he wrote.  They didn't even try to mesh it,  It's just like "We bought the rights to these names over this time period so eat it you dirty plebes!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Watched the first episode.  It would have been great as a standalone story that just shamelessly borrowed from Tolkien like 90% of fantasy has for decades now,  It is an abomination to anyone who's read Tolkien because it just doesn't mesh at all with what he wrote.  They didn't even try to mesh it,  It's just like "We bought the rights to these names over this time period so eat it you dirty plebes!"
View Quote

That's really not all that different from how Star Trek Discovery started off.

"Here's some generic sci fi that doesn't look anything like the Star Trek you know and love but, trust us, we threw some Star Trek buzz words like 'deflector array' and 'phasers' in there so it's definitely Star Trek!"

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"Here's some generic sci fi that doesn't look anything like the Star Trek you know and love but, trust us, we threw some Star Trek buzz words like 'deflector array' and 'phasers' in there so it's definitely Star Trek!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UM ...

You do remember that some of the writers on AROP came from STD?  IIRC, one or more were not just writers of an episode here or there on std, but directing the writing overall ...?

Oh, yeah, people saying how they were considering cheering for the orcs ... remember when people were cheering for the klingon badguys in STD?

Pepperige farms and all that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought the first episode was ok.  Nothing really special, but not complete garbage.  All the characters outside of the high elf woman were bland, but they didn't do a think to develop them yet.

So hoping bad guy makes an appearance soon and carries the show.  A Homelander type of villain.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

UM ...

You do remember that some of the writers on AROP came from STD?  IIRC, one or more were not just writers of an episode here or there on std, but directing the writing overall ...?

Oh, yeah, people saying how they were considering cheering for the orcs ... remember when people were cheering for the klingon badguys in STD?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UM ...

I do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

UM ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UM ...

Do people really refer to it as "STD"?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#35]
All rating sites are being bumped up tonight
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Buys shit knowing it is shit

Consumes the shit knowing it is shit

Complains that the shit you bought knowing it’s shit  tastes like shit

Wonders why everything is shit.

It’s because you bought the shit knowing it is shit.

That’s why everything is shit.

The 65% of people that bought the shit are the problem. You are literally rewarding the people that feed you shit because they know you can’t not buy and eat the shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:40:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I will probably watch it in due time - I watch tons of crap, probably will not be at the bottom of the heap.  But I refuse to give them the credit of a view at this point.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#38]
This sounds like Battlefield Earth all over again.  

..A pretty good book.  

..........A backing of many TRUE BELIEVERS with unlimited funds.  

..................A completely amateur random execution and instantly forgettable movie.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#39]
And yet, I STILL have no interest in watching it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:15:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will probably watch it in due time - I watch tons of crap, probably will not be at the bottom of the heap.  But I refuse to give them the credit of a view at this point.
View Quote

After WoT, I won't bother watching this unless, somehow, the viewer reviews see a huge about turn.

Otherwise, I'd rather reread the books than subject myself to the aggravation of them bastardizing another established storyline, just to push their agendas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Watched it. Wife wasnt too pleased with how they are taking a lot of creative freedom from the source materiel.

Gurl power is obvious and annoying, but Galadriel played by Morfydd Clark is hot as fuck.

Visual effects are 10/10.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Watched the first 2 episodes. The most compelling character was that orc that came up through the floor. But that single mom killed him, so I probably won't watch the rest of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Amazon couldn’t secure the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or any other books but LOTR and it shows.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with there being black elves and dwarves or female leads.  It's the fact they are changing existing storylines to fit them in and taking it to an extreme.
View Quote

Absolutely it does have to do with that. In fact as someone who read all the books and took a university level elective course on Tolkien it has so far had fuck-all to do with changing existing storylines.  That argument might make sense for a future black James Bond. Your reasoning here sound an awful lot like - "I'm not a racist but..."

A bunch of white human troglodytes with the exception of one attractive single mother?  Looks like a good mate for the black elf!

A bunch of male warriors on an elite mission?  Watch as they all have their asses handed to them and are easily saved by the superstar woman leader!

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Absolutely it does have to do with that. In fact as someone who read all the books and took a university level elective course on Tolkien it has so far had fuck-all to do with changing existing storylines.  That argument might make sense for a future black James Bond. Your reasoning here sound an awful lot like - "I'm not a racist but..."

A bunch of white human troglodytes with the exception of one attractive single mother?  Looks like a good mate for the black elf!

A bunch of male warriors on an elite mission?  Watch as they all have their asses handed to them and are easily saved by the superstar woman leader!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but there are no black elves and women can’t fight. Why not just make a different story for black people and women with penis envy.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Lemme put it like this; Street Fighter the movie was probably better acted and more respectful of the source material.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#47]
In the 70's I read The Hobbit, then a bit later I read The Lord of the Rings. Since then I've re-read them a few times because there is so much in them that I find something different in the story each time. The LOR movies came out and they were well done, they screwed up or outright re-wrote too much of the Hobbit movies to be truly enjoyable or even interesting, pissed me off. I won't even waste time watching this drivel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Tubi is free and has a really good series about guns throughout history. I am up to WWI and Browning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah but there are no black elves and women can't fight. Why not just make a different story for black people and women with penis envy.

View Quote
If the writing, direction and acting were good then it would matter only to book purists and actual racists/misogynists.
The Girrl Power trope can be done well- Ripley, Sarah Connor, Buffy-but it still requires talent and skill. Putting your Agenda first and expecting everyone to praise the Emperor's new clothes just never works.
Replace all the leads in this dreck with white male actors...and it's still dreck.
Bridgerton took a similar approach to retconning race in a popular book series set in Regency era England. But their approach-simply recasting race with talented actors and presenting it as what simply is -works beautifully.
But it respects its source material, has storytelling, direction, and talent.
Rings of Power doesn't.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If the writing, direction and acting were good then it would matter only to book purists and actual racists/misogynists.
The Girrl Power trope can be done well- Ripley, Sarah Connor, Buffy-but it still requires talent and skill. Putting your Agenda first and expecting everyone to praise the Emperor's new clothes just never works.
Replace all the leads in this dreck with white male actors...and it's still dreck.
Bridgerton took a similar approach to retconning race in a popular book series set in Regency era England. But their approach-simply recasting race with talented actors and presenting it as what simply is -works beautifully.
But it respects its source material, has storytelling, direction, and talent.
Rings of Power doesn't.

View Quote

LOL - Bridgerton is hot garbage. Are you a Russian disinformation troll that stole a famous account?
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top