Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted this in the big thread. A little insight on the math of infection growth:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive seen that Jon Reads paper was revised to an R0 of 2.5, though I haven’t had a chance to see if they’ve revised their anticipated range of infected.  I imagine they have.

The trouble with all of this is of course that we have no idea if the numbers reported are accurate, and we likely won’t for weeks.
View Quote
As a point of reference the seasonal flu has a R0 of 1.28
View Quote
Quick article on R0 aka "R-naught"

What Is R0?: Gauging Contagious Infections

Engineers may think of system damping as an analogy.

Wuhan virus is VERY underdamped.

For example, if 1 person infects 1 more, after 10 jumps, 11 people are infected.

If 1 person infects 2, after 10 jumps it's 2E10, or 1024 infected.

The original 3.8 R0 would have been 627,821 infected.

(2.5 R0 after 10 jumps would be 9537, 2.7 R0 would be 20,589, and so on)

What I've read indicates Dec 1st or thereabouts was the initial case (pls correct if someone knows a better date).

Problem is, we don't know WHEN during the contagious stage the infection is passes. If it's passed on the 14th day, growth is slow. If it's on the 1st day they are contagious, it's astronomical.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another person in a video saying the real # is 100k.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/036B2852-4D35-49AD-9101-694C371E0858_jpe-1248820.JPG
View Quote
If true, frightening. I know they'd most likely try and calm the masses by not releasing the true numbers and causing a panic, until they get it under control, but wouldn't this outbreak fit perfectly with the Step 3 below?

1. Subversion
2. Destabilization
3. Crisis
4. Normalization
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My personal opinion is this is being under reported by 95%. Based on the weird actions of the Chinese government, and the spread across the globe I'm inclined to believe the rumors of 90,000 to 100,000 infected.

With that said, I've got 3 independent data sources in the OP with numbers all in the same ballpark. Where are you seeing 400 additional cases?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the updates and your hard work to keep us informed.

It appears as though overnight there are roughly 400 new confirmed cases.
My personal opinion is this is being under reported by 95%. Based on the weird actions of the Chinese government, and the spread across the globe I'm inclined to believe the rumors of 90,000 to 100,000 infected.

With that said, I've got 3 independent data sources in the OP with numbers all in the same ballpark. Where are you seeing 400 additional cases?
I was pretty tired when I wrote that, so I may have misinterpreted your graph.  I was looking at the blue portion of the graph.  I saw the 900+ number, then compared it to the 1300+ number and figured there were 400 additional or new cases.  Like I said I was tired when I wrote that so maybe the numbers didn't mean what I thought they did.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Some good news:

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I posted this in the big thread. A little insight on the math of infection growth:

Quick article on R0 aka "R-naught"

What Is R0?: Gauging Contagious Infections

Engineers may think of system damping as an analogy.

Wuhan virus is VERY underdamped.

For example, if 1 person infects 1 more, after 10 jumps, 11 people are infected.

If 1 person infects 2, after 10 jumps it's 2E10, or 1024 infected.

The original 3.8 R0 would have been 627,821 infected.

(2.5 R0 after 10 jumps would be 9537, 2.7 R0 would be 20,589, and so on)

What I've read indicates Dec 1st or thereabouts was the initial case (pls correct if someone knows a better date).

Problem is, we don't know WHEN during the contagious stage the infection is passes. If it's passed on the 14th day, growth is slow. If it's on the 1st day they are contagious, it's astronomical.
View Quote
Thank you for that post.  I was trying to get some good, clean and concise info on the R0 and was having trouble finding anything that didn't start "science'ing the shit out of its meaning.  Perhaps I was looking on the wrong websites.  Anyway, thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some good news:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPIiNvuXkAA_e8j?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote
A number of cases in the US were confirmed negative as well. ETA I think a dozen of the suspected cases.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Supposed video of bodies amidst pts waiting for treatment in Wuhan

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kpIko_1579872346
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
This thing is moving so fast, that video only 36 hours old but is buried deep in the threads already

This shit is crazy
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
WTF?  I've never been to china, so I don't know if this is a cultural issue, or just an issue within that particular hospital.  However, the only way that situation arises is if people stop making decisions on the fly and ignore concerns that are outside of their assigned responsibilities.  She..."sought out the leader for that area and he doesn't know what to do either."  Seriously woman, get a couple people to start moving corpses onto a gurney and take them to your hospitals morgue.  If the morgue is full take them outside to a parking lot and close the parking lot off.  Make sure to take all identification off the bodies and take pictures of the corpse.  Then make a call to get some lime to cover the bodies, until they can be cremated.  Does she really need a leader to tell her, or is this part of their culture that I just don't understand?  I don't know maybe I'm just naive.  It just seems odd that she seems to be carrying on as though she is helpless.  I'm sure her co-workers on that floor are doing the exact same thing.  It has been my experience that Americans are much better at thinking on their feet under these circumstances.  When the chain of command breaks down or is ineffective someone is usually there to pick and the reins and start making decisions so that the 'trains keep running."
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Judging from that graph in OP (by the way, ty for updating in OP.  Not enuf do that.  I hate digging) , survival rate appears to be 35-50%.

Thats not bueno
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF?  I've never been to china, so I don't know if this is a cultural issue, or just an issue within that particular hospital.  However, the only way that situation arises is if people stop making decisions on the fly and ignore concerns that are outside of their assigned responsibilities.  She..."sought out the leader for that area and he doesn't know what to do either."  Seriously woman, get a couple people to start moving corpses onto a gurney and take them to your hospitals morgue.  If the morgue is full take them outside to a parking lot and close the parking lot off.  Make sure to take all identification off the bodies and take pictures of the corpse.  Then make a call to get some lime to cover the bodies, until they can be cremated.  Does she really need a leader to tell her, or is this part of their culture that I just don't understand?  I don't know maybe I'm just naive.  It just seems odd that she seems to be carrying on as though she is helpless.  I'm sure her co-workers on that floor are doing the exact same thing.  It has been my experience that Americans are much better at thinking on their feet under these circumstances.  When the chain of command breaks down or is ineffective someone is usually there to pick and the reins and start making decisions so that the 'trains keep running."
View Quote
Some people are completely incapable of being a leader.

I suspect in SocioCommunist society, free thought for oneself is highly discouraged too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Chinese News Report: Additional Details on Three Beijing Doctors infected with coronavirus

Beijing confirms three doctors infected with new coronavirus

Google Translate:

Original title: Beijing confirms three doctors infected with new coronavirus

According to the Beijing Municipal Health and Health Committee, the three doctors include: 1. Wang Moumou, male, went to Wuhan on January 8 for a business trip, returned to Beijing on the 16th, developed fever and respiratory symptoms on the same day, and went to a medical institution in the city on the 20th. A pneumonia case was confirmed on the 21st with a new coronavirus infection. 2. Lu Mou, male, went to Wuhan on January 10 for a business trip, returned to Beijing on the 11th, and developed fever symptoms on the 14th. He was treated in a medical institution in the city on the 20th. A case of pneumonia confirmed by a new coronavirus; 3. Yan, male, traveled to Dalian, Jilin Baishan, Changchun and other places from January 3rd to 10th. When attending the meeting on the 14th, he was next to a certain patient named Lu Mou On the 18th, fever symptoms appeared. On the 20th, he was seen in a medical institution in the city. On the 25th, he was diagnosed with a new coronavirus-infected pneumonia case. At present, the three doctors are receiving isolation treatment at designated hospitals, and their condition is stable. Those who have been in close contact have been included in the isolation medical observation. No abnormalities have been reported. (Main reporter: Bai Jiege)
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's about time for the U.S. fake news media to get off their orange man bad 24/7 and start doing some actual journalism.  I'm sure they'll get right on that.  

View Quote
What would you like the US media to do?

So far they've done a good job of not creating a panic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a notable.

That isn't a normal response to 1,400 cases.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a notable.

That isn't a normal response to 1,400 cases.
View Quote
Yep.  I notice it says ‘interstate’.  So, all flights out canceled, or just travel in China?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep.  I notice it says ‘interstate’.  So, all flights out canceled, or just travel in China?
View Quote
As far as I know, only the airport in Hubei is closed.

Flights are still coming and going from China otherwise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Source tweet. It has to be way worse than anticipated, China is suiciding their economy with this. If Shanghai and Hong Kong follow, shit has hit the fan.

Oddly enough after reading that link, I can’t connect to Twitter on my phone.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Me, my wife, and my kid were seriously ill earlier in the week. Flu symptoms, rapid onset, and debilitating. After a few days  we were all back at our routines, but right now we are all still congested, coughing, and tire easily. Definitely makes me wonder
View Quote
With the flu and cold going around at the same time it’s probably making a lot of people nervous.

The flue and cold have been going through our house picking us off over the last few weeks.

I haven’t worried about it because we live in a small town. Even though my wife is a teacher and I have 4 kids in school. Where we live would be an unlikely area to contract coronavirus.

The reality is that the regular bugs are bad this year and teachers and students are dropping like flies around here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Source tweet. It has to be way worse than anticipated, China is suiciding their economy with this. If Shanghai and Hong Kong follow, shit has hit the fan.

Oddly enough after reading that link, I can’t connect to Twitter on my phone.

View Quote
In the tweet thread, the guy says it's just ground transportation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
and this...

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
and this...

View Quote
The plot thickens...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I called it in the other thread that this is a bio weapon either accidental or intentionally leaked. the chicoms wouldn't quarantine 40+ million people because 40 or so died. something bad leaked out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
and this...

View Quote
I take it the jump from bat, to snek, to human, was deliberately engineered then to make it look as if it was an accidental natural phenomena as opposed to a BioWeapon?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The plot thickens...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and this...

The plot thickens...
Interesting timeline.

The husband has authorship credit in 2003 for help identifying the SARS coronavirus.

Ebola and Nipah viruses were sent to China in March 2019, from the BSL-4 lab in Canada.

The scientists got PNG’d from the lab in July for policy violations. Perhaps being “extremely careless” is a policy violation.

Nipah virus and coronavirus are structurally different and are categorized in different phyla.

They are both associated with bats.

I know, it’s an amazing set of coincidences.

We probably have Chinese-affiliated SARS and Nipah scientists kicked out of level 4 labs working on bat viruses all the time. Labs are probably sending those viruses to China fortnightly. We probably have novel bat coronaviruses cross over into humans all the time, starting in Chinese cities near level 4 labs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Report from a guy who knows a guy,who is married to another guys sister from the homeland that it is far worse then being told,,possible thousands already dead. Reports from countryside that Troops are machinegunning people trying to flee lock downs,,,uh,,who knows.

Chinese Army - The Best Hell March 60th Anniversary HD

Already state media is blaming U.S. trade sanctions. Look for Fake news to run with this also.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cant wait to update my charts this evening with such great news
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Up to 1834 confirmed cases. 56 fatalities.

Source with other sources
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
1,975 now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1,975 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,975 now.
And now 2015...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Now is our chance for nuclear attack on China!  

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Now at  2,015

View Quote
I'm thinking His excellency Xi Jinping admitting the situation was "grave" this morning opened the floodgates to allow some more info to come out.

There was basically no information coming out the last 24 hours, and now cases jumped 700 in about 10 minutes.

Currently 0913 in single time zone China...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's down to absolute basic 3000+ year old Law.

Numbers 19

14 This is the law, when a man dieth in a tent: all that come into the tent,
and all that is in the tent, shall be unclean seven days.
 15 And every open vessel, which hath no covering bound upon it, is unclean.
View Quote
I was um, kinda doing my own gorilla math, scribbling gibberish, grunting when I forgot to carry the 1. They're building a temp hospital for 1000 people that should be done by Feb 1st. They should've had a temp hospital for 100,000 a week ago... Who wants to break the bad news?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Report from a guy who knows a guy,who is married to another guys sister from the homeland that it is far worse then being told,,possible thousands already dead. Reports from countryside that Troops are machinegunning people trying to flee lock downs,,,uh,,who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=---g-f_I2yQ

Already state media is blaming U.S. trade sanctions. Look for Fake news to run with this also.
View Quote
silly you. don't get excited.  those are just inoculation bullets the chinese government is giving to its citizens.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Calm your tits y’all.

That mortality rate is barely above what the seasonal flu registers here
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Calm your tits y'all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calm your tits y'all.

When was the last time you saw 50+ million in lockdown?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would much prefer they stop flights and ships .
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Calm your tits y'all.

View Quote
So far the number of cured is lower than official mortality numbers.. is it not?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calm your tits y'all.

I mean, It’s China. It’s the nanny state wet dream of AOC.

Occam’s razor and all that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Crazy that is just some city I’ve never heard of in China.

With more people than the state of Utah.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top