Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Chainsaw Man | Denji vs Zombie Devil
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Sharpened the 261, one minute in, saw sparks when I decided to hit a Y knot. Ug, this this ain't sharp no more...went to sharpen it, holy moly, must have hit a squirrel storage of tungsten vein, there's no way I can fix it with a 2 in one stihl file. Every tooth was bent down. Probably take it to the dealer to see if the can sharpen it with about 5 other chains I have waiting to sharpen. Slapped another yellow chain on for now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's exactly what I did.

I also used Quick couplers on the attach point on the splitter so I can take it off relatively quick to load totes once full if I have my push-through splitter up at the laydown yard.
View Quote

Awesome setup!
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I also used Quick couplers on the attach point on the splitter so I can take it off relatively quick to load totes once full if I have my push-through splitter up at the laydown yard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.....now my brain is working overtime.  I don't have 3rd function on the front of my tractor but do have lines at the back, so I'd need to run the lines to the back of the tractor.

This site never stops costing me money.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My fleet,

Makita 18v    Great for a bit of light limbing
Stihl 026       Favorite saw. Light but just enough.
Stihl MS 361  Soo smooth
Stihl 048       Old style grunt, Slow n steady
Stihl MS 660  Just had to have it!

I haven't used the big guns in a few years, but have a few bigger trees overhanging the field edges that will need to be removed sooner or later. I bought the 660 for milling and it was used mostly for that but was great fun to throw a 24" bar on and do some bucking.

Anyone know of a place to send the 026 for woods porting?  My back doesn't care for the bigger saws much anymore so Id really like to get a bit more out of it.

Im running a 16" 3/8 .050 full comp RSC chain on it, would like to keep it the same as all the others for sharpening reasons.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My fleet,

Makita 18v    Great for a bit of light limbing
Stihl 026       Favorite saw. Light but just enough.
Stihl MS 361  Soo smooth
Stihl 048       Old style grunt, Slow n steady
Stihl MS 660  Just had to have it!

I haven't used the big guns in a few years, but have a few bigger trees overhanging the field edges that will need to be removed sooner or later. I bought the 660 for milling and it was used mostly for that but was great fun to throw a 24" bar on and do some bucking.

Anyone know of a place to send the 026 for woods porting?  My back doesn't care for the bigger saws much anymore so Id really like to get a bit more out of it.

Im running a 16" 3/8 .050 full comp RSC chain on it, would like to keep it the same as all the others for sharpening reasons.

View Quote

I highly recommend Kevin LaVanway, aka Huskihl on OPE & AS forums.

There are a lot of great porters out there, best to check those forums mentioned above for options. Some don't mess with older saws anymore though. Kevin was awesome to work with, and he didn't shy away from my old 1989 254XP; which he turned into an animal. It's had a lot of hard use as well and keeps on ticking.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

@cjk

Check with Joe at HWMF,   worksaws.com

He did my slightly used 500i, it is nice, have a thread from a few weeks back, it makes 880 power but is 8 lbs lighter.

I had to clean up my saw a bunch, also he is in Leslie Michigan, maybe it is close to you?

If shipped, he only has the saw about 3 weeks, as you make an appointment for your saw.  Not send it in and wait for 3-6 months.  Cost was $350.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Replacing the Stihl MS250 with a 545 Mk II which is arriving later this week.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traitor
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up this extremely low use MS260 today.
It runs perfectly and is clean clean clean.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Traitor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traitor

-------
Added a pole, we can argue what brand but what mixture is the master race?

40:1 here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

-------

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-------

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/6F10AEF8-83F0-4D12-ACBF-A3EEDF68EE1C-2563060.jpg

See, we can be fren!

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@cjk

Check with Joe at HWMF,   worksaws.com

He did my slightly used 500i, it is nice, have a thread from a few weeks back, it makes 880 power but is 8 lbs lighter.

I had to clean up my saw a bunch, also he is in Leslie Michigan, maybe it is close to you?

If shipped, he only has the saw about 3 weeks, as you make an appointment for your saw.  Not send it in and wait for 3-6 months.  Cost was $350.

View Quote

Thanks for the info. I did a little research and a ported 026 will hang with a new ms261. Im thinking if Im going to invest the $350 hopping up a saw I may as well start with a new 261.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I running echo red armor in ethanol free pump gas.  
It's in premeasured bottles to make 2 gallon of 50:1, but I put like 1.9 gallon in my 2gal steel can and it ends up about 45:1
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I did a little research and a ported 026 will hang with a new ms261. Im thinking if Im going to invest the $350 hopping up a saw I may as well start with a new 261.
View Quote

@cjk

Ripsaw,  ripsaw.shop I believe.

Has saws already ported, tuned and ready to go, may have a 261.  Has the bar and chain, no shipping cost to send it in.  Supposedly mares the best woods performance saws out there. When all is said and done just a bit more than buying one locally and shipping it off. Totally tuned and great power and performance.  Wish i knew of them before hand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

As much as I love a 026/260, the 261 is a much better saw. Expect to pay around $1000-1100 for a new one ported. I have a new mmws 261 if you are interested.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.

You guys are going to cost me money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks.

You guys are going to cost me money.
View Quote

We can start in on
Guns
Trucks
Knives
NV
Thermal
Boats

If you want to spend more
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We can start in on
Guns
Trucks
Knives
NV
Thermal
Boats

If you want to spend more
View Quote

You left out crazy women
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I running echo red armor in ethanol free pump gas.  
It's in premeasured bottles to make 2 gallon of 50:1, but I put like 1.9 gallon in my 2gal steel can and it ends up about 45:1
View Quote
I have been using it as well for the last few weeks.

So far I like it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw this in a local hardware store the other day

Attachment Attached File

59” bar
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
These guys are having a special on Echo saws. Got my CS-620PW from them earlier this year, no issues.

https://www.sawsuppliers.com/

Biggest Discount of the Year on Echo Chainsaws!

SPECIAL OFFER

16% off Chain Saws
Use code: harvest22 at checkout
Requires minimum purchase of $250.00
Offer valid Oct 24, 2022 - Nov 6, 2022
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-------

View Quote

40:1 for sure.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
On the Echo Red Armor oil question:

There is a 22 page thread on AS about oil and the vast consensus is RA is the go-to now. While I have used Stihl orange quite a bit, those guys say the Stihl Ultra (silver) is bad news in saws. Apparently it is designed for the 4-mix trimmers and will kill cranks/bearings in 2 cycles.        

It was also shown by folks trusted over there that RA leaves excellent residual oil in the bottom end and is trusted at 50:1 where most run other oils at 40:1.

Anyway, an interesting read. I know I like the smell of it running and my trimmer "woke up" when I started using it. I will keep using it going forward.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They have links to US dealers

https://www.farmertec.com/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was that company that used to sell the Stihl copy saw kits?  I searched and can't seem to find them any more. Hertlz or Hutzle or something like that?    Did they go out of business?

Thought it might be fun to pick up one of those knock off saw kits and build one to tinker with.

They have links to US dealers

https://www.farmertec.com/

Damn! That kind of pricing makes it possible for me to try out an Alaskan mill. Does anyone here know how big of a saw is needed for that use?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There is a 22 page thread on AS about oil and the vast consensus is RA is the go-to now. While I have used Stihl orange quite a bit, those guys say the Stihl Ultra (silver) is bad news in saws. Apparently it is designed for the 4-mix trimmers and will kill cranks/bearings in 2 cycles.        

It was also shown by folks trusted over there that RA leaves excellent residual oil in the bottom end and is trusted at 50:1 where most run other oils at 40:1.

Anyway, an interesting read. I know I like the smell of it running and my trimmer "woke up" when I started using it. I will keep using it going forward.
View Quote
I read most of that before.  It seems to be working great so far.  But the biggest reason I use it now is the red tint is a lot easier to see than the blue when mixed.  Helps when I can remember if I mixed it or not,  so basically I'm using it as a crutch for my brain getting a little mushy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Damn! That kind of pricing makes it possible for me to try out an Alaskan mill. Does anyone here know how big of a saw is needed for that use?
View Quote

Go big, from what I have "heard", you need a big saw, lots of work on em.
I'd run the big boy MS 881.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These guys are having a special on Echo saws. Got my CS-620PW from them earlier this year, no issues.

https://www.sawsuppliers.com/

Biggest Discount of the Year on Echo Chainsaws!

SPECIAL OFFER

16% off Chain Saws
Use code: harvest22 at checkout
Requires minimum purchase of $250.00
Offer valid Oct 24, 2022 - Nov 6, 2022
View Quote

I've ordered a few saws from them. Great company to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's odd considering Stihl promotes the Ultra for saws and even doubles your warranty if you use it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's odd considering Stihl promotes the Ultra for saws and even doubles your warranty if you use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is the Stihl Ultra is JASO FB and therefore should be just fine for 2 stroke air cooled stuff such as saws.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

My understanding is the Stihl Ultra is JASO FB and therefore should be just fine for 2 stroke air cooled stuff such as saws.
View Quote
Just the messenger.
Those guys say it will burn up bearings like they had information on Hillary Clinton.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ran nothing but Stihl Ultra in my saws for years and never had a problem.  I think oil discussions in the chainsaw world are similar to gun counter lore in the gun world...."I had a guy at the store tell me X and he knows his stuff".  Which could mean the guy behind the counter doesn't know what he's talking about, or the guy hearing the story remembered it wrong...etc...etc...etc.

I'd say pick a quality oil, make sure your mix is right, and you'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#42]
May as well chime in with a cheapie.
Picked this up 3 days ago for 20 bucks, has not been run for a few years. Primer bulb is rock solid. Instead of messing with hunting down a bulb, fuel lines, filters, I ordered a new carb kit that has everything needed including a new carb. 22 bucks and it got here yesterday.
I may or may not mess with it today as I have another project to work on. I'll have it running (hopefully) in a day or 2. It matches the backpack leaf blower I picked up for 50 bucks and got it running for nothing (fuel line had a kink in it).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've ran nothing but Stihl Ultra in my saws for years and never had a problem.  I think oil discussions in the chainsaw world are similar to gun counter lore in the gun world...."I had a guy at the store tell me X and he knows his stuff".  Which could mean the guy behind the counter doesn't know what he's talking about, or the guy hearing the story remembered it wrong...etc...etc...etc.

I'd say pick a quality oil, make sure your mix is right, and you'll probably be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

also:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
May as well chime in with a cheapie.
Picked this up 3 days ago for 20 bucks, has not been run for a few years. Primer bulb is rock solid. Instead of messing with hunting down a bulb, fuel lines, filters, I ordered a new carb kit that has everything needed including a new carb. 22 bucks and it got here yesterday.
I may or may not mess with it today as I have another project to work on. I'll have it running (hopefully) in a day or 2. It matches the backpack leaf blower I picked up for 50 bucks and got it running for nothing (fuel line had a kink in it).

View Quote

I spent $639.50 yesterday on a backpack blower.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I spent $639.50 yesterday on a backpack blower.

View Quote

This is why I like to fix things, holy crap they are expensive. Only 30cc but it blows great and annoys people with noise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Amsoil Saber 80:1. Have run that forever, in everything. The gas keeps forever too, even E10.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Winter kit is installed and ready for this weekend.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Amsoil Saber 80:1. Have run that forever, in everything. The gas keeps forever too, even E10.
View Quote

I know Amsoil makes good stuff and people have reported good luck with 80:1 and even 100:1 mixes but I feel like I'd be running my first tank of gas just waiting on the saw to lock up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52477204565_dc03a7e540_b.jpg
View Quote

What all is installed for the winter kit?  I assume the blue guard is to help keep snow out?
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52477204565_dc03a7e540_b.jpg
View Quote

So sad

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top