Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Why am I seeing tons of new Echos  for 1/2 price on the secondary market?  Some still in boxes with tags?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why am I seeing tons of new Echos  for 1/2 price on the secondary market?  Some still in boxes with tags?
View Quote

Retail theft usually. Police don't care and HD writes it into business expense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I had the need for some of the rigs in this thread. That said, my local Ace Hardware told me that even the MS250 was overkill for use around my property.

Stihl is for storm cleanup and the Ego Power is for off road trail clearing when out and about in the Land Cruiser.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Muleymad

Tell me more about the 400. Still kicking around it or the 500i.
View Quote

2nd season with the 400 and really love it. Was under $1000 otd from my dealer. Feels very light for the power and balanced fairly well but I would like to get a light bar to try on it. The saw screams! Fun to cut with. I wanted an "in-between" saw to split my 041 and 660. It's filling that role but don't use the 041 much anymore as the 400 is just much nicer to run.

The oiler is a bit on the dry side imo. I have it turned all the way up and it's fine but sometimes feels like it could use a little more.

I haven't run a 500 but I doubt you could go wrong with either.

@Oldgold
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Give us a report on the 500i. Still deciding between it and the 400.
@fox2008
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood cutting season officially starts for me tomorrow.....the 500i will be the primary saw with the 362cm as backup and a 180 that I use for limbing.

Give us a report on the 500i. Still deciding between it and the 400.
@fox2008

The 500i is a beast, I normally run a 25" lightweight bar on it but also run a 28" some.....and it just eats wood like crazy.  I plan on picking up a 36" bar this year for some really big red oak trees that need to come down, I'm anxious to see how it runs with that but from what I've seen online, I don't expect any issues.

I've not ran a 400....I did get to fondle one in a Rural King about a month ago though.  If my 362cm ever goes out, I'd probably pick up the 400 as the replacement.  At this point my 362cm might die of boredom....it doesn't get ran much since I bought the 500i.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2nd season with the 400 and really love it. Was under $1000 otd from my dealer. Feels very light for the power and balanced fairly well but I would like to get a light bar to try on it. The saw screams! Fun to cut with. I wanted an "in-between" saw to split my 041 and 660. It's filling that role but don't use the 041 much anymore as the 400 is just much nicer to run.

The oiler is a bit on the dry side imo. I have it turned all the way up and it's fine but sometimes feels like it could use a little more.

@Oldgold
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and buy the lightbar.....I put it off for years because of the price and my thinking "a couple pounds can't make that much difference".  As soon as I bought one I kicked myself for waiting so long.....they just balance the saw better.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The 500i is a beast, I normally run a 25" lightweight bar on it but also run a 28" some.....and it just eats wood like crazy.  I plan on picking up a 36" bar this year for some really big red oak trees that need to come down, I'm anxious to see how it runs with that but from what I've seen online, I don't expect any issues.

I've not ran a 400....I did get to fondle one in a Rural King about a month ago though.  If my 362cm ever goes out, I'd probably pick up the 400 as the replacement.  At this point my 362cm might die of boredom....it doesn't get ran much since I bought the 500i.
View Quote

The pic I posted a few posts up is a 36" light, bought just for a couple of big oaks.
The 500i pulls it with no issues.
I was using standard Stihl yellow chain, wanted skip chain but dealer has been out for a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I was shopping for a small saw I was dead set on a Dolmar, Makita now.  The local landscaping dealer recommended the Echo instead and I haven't bought anything other than Echo since then.  I don't think any of them are bad, but I have been so happy with the Echo products that I just keep going back.

I was trying to buy a used rental Makita from Home Depot, but I was never in the right place at the right time.  

Still happy with Echo, and the 620P is way more saw than the 590, even though it is the same displacement.  And $200 more.  But still $400 less than a comparable Stihl or Husqvarna.
View Quote

I have a Echo 620p with a 24" bar and it is a beast. I've been running for the past 2 years with few issues.

Easy to start unless you flood it by leaving the choke on after it 1st pops. Once it floods it just needs time. I will set it down for a while then come back and it fires up as normal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The pic I posted a few posts up is a 36" light, bought just for a couple of big oaks.
I was using standard Stihl yellow chain, wanted skip chain but dealer has been out for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be buying a skip chain just to save on sharpening

Good to hear real world feedback on the 36" bar.  I've got 4-5 big red oaks that need to come down this year, even with a 36" bar I'll be cutting from both sides of the tree.  Something is killing them all from the roots up, or it could just be old age, the timber hasn't been touched on my property in at least the 100 years it's been in my family....so who knows how old the trees are.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks! My dealer doesn’t have any 400’s either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

462 and 500i weigh basically the same at 14lbs.
If you can find a true MS 400 , it is aprox 1lb lighter and has magnesium piston.
If money doesn't matter get the 500i, the efi is great and instant, there is zero throttle lag.
I went in to buy a 462, they were out of stock and just got in two 500i's, I left with one (zero buyers remorse..worth the money)
If you think you want a 500i but don't wanna spend the money, then do not borrow or use one...cause you WILL buy it

In my area:
400 not available, aprox $1,000-$1,100
462 $1,300-$1,350
500i $1,500-$1,550

@Oldgold

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/5C712AD9-1DE3-4FC9-8C5E-634C711CA43A-2567151.jpg

Thanks! My dealer doesn’t have any 400’s either.

I had to buy a new brush cutter, I picked up an FS240, as they ran it and made sure it was properly tuned, I was looking at stuff had 400, 500, and damn near everything on display except an 880, I am sure they had one in the back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Oldgold
View Quote
Does the 400s oiler screw have a roll pin as a limiter that you have to drive in to adjust the oiler all the way up? Some of the stihls do
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Stocking up,  12.50 a gallon
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Around here, the cheapest is the Black Max stuff at Walmart for $9 something a gallon.  I also buy the Countyline stuff from TSC when it goes on sale for $10 something.  

What is flat out hilarious is Walmart's Supertech has shot up to almost $15 a gallon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
These popped up on FB Marketplace.  $100 for the two.  These were at a campground with new manager who couldn't get them to fire up but they do have compression.  Will see if I can get them running.
Visually the 026 has had an easy life.   The 180, not bad but well used.

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I was shopping for a small saw I was dead set on a Dolmar, Makita now.  The local landscaping dealer recommended the Echo instead and I haven't bought anything other than Echo since then.  I don't think any of them are bad, but I have been so happy with the Echo products that I just keep going back.

I was trying to buy a used rental Makita from Home Depot, but I was never in the right place at the right time.  

Still happy with Echo, and the 620P is way more saw than the 590, even though it is the same displacement.  And $200 more.  But still $400 less than a comparable Stihl or Husqvarna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Echo, and generally recommend folks look at the CS-400 or the 490/590 Timber Wolf series for an occasional use saw. I have used some echo saws and lots of there outdoor power equipment, but ended up getting a Makita 6100 for a good deal instead of a 590.

I went with the 620PW, with the wrap handle.  The 620 is significantly more saw and features than the 590.  I have a 20" bar on mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These popped up on FB Marketplace.  $100 for the two.  These were at a campground with new manager who couldn't get them to fire up but they do have compression.  Will see if I can get them running.
Visually the 026 has had an easy life.   The 180, not bad but well used.
https://i.imgur.com/uk0vKON.jpg
View Quote

That 026 looks sweet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
What brand(s) of chain do you guys like?  What style?

I started out with Stihl chains.  It's hard to find anything but green-label stuff around here and skip-chain, fuggedaboutit.

I ordered some Stihl RS chain to play with, but stocked up on Oregon Powercut skip-tooth stuff.   Got tired of my buddy's saw out-cutting my more powerful 291, even with a new chain.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I started out with Stihl chains.  It's hard to find anything but green-label stuff around here and skip-chain, fuggedaboutit.

I ordered some Stihl RS chain to play with, but stocked up on Oregon Powercut skip-tooth stuff.   Got tired of my buddy's saw out-cutting my more powerful 291, even with a new chain.
View Quote

Oregon is what I have on my 455 Rancher but on my 562xp I stuck with the stock X Cut.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a like, but more of what is on the shelf:
Stihl yellow, and keep razor sharp, sharp chain puts much less work on the saw/upper assembly.
Skip is good for longer bars run on too small a saw, sharp full comp chains tend to run smoother, especially if you have the power to run em on long bars.
A new chain doesn't mean it's wicked sharp, I sharpen new chains outta the box.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Technical stuff on big tree
Big tree and cutting skills
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Around here, the cheapest is the Black Max stuff at Walmart for $9 something a gallon.  I also buy the Countyline stuff from TSC when it goes on sale for $10 something.  

What is flat out hilarious is Walmart's Supertech has shot up to almost $15 a gallon.
View Quote

If you are near a Rural King.  Starting today through 11/02, they are knocking a dollar off their standard price bringing it to $6.99 a gallon, see Page 5 of their flier. TSC will/should match the RK prices too. If TSC tells you the RK is not the same product they sell, tell them to read the fine print... "Brand May Vary By Location."

https://www.ruralking.com/weeklyad

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/117194
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you are near a Rural King.  Starting today through 11/02, they are knocking a dollar off their standard price bringing it to $6.99 a gallon, see Page 5 of their flier. TSC will/should match the RK prices too. If TSC tells you the RK is not the same product they sell, tell them to read the fine print... "Brand May Vary By Location."

https://www.ruralking.com/weeklyad

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/117194
View Quote

I miss Rural King from when I lived in IN.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That said, my local Ace Hardware told me that even the MS250 was overkill for use around my property.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/7D9FD125-A648-43FE-8E60-B53A585D9A7D_jpe-2567164.JPG
View Quote

I sure wouldn’t take their advice on anything else.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Echo prices jumped 11.4% in a month!  

I paid $359 for a 4910 a month ago and the same saw is now $399
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big box store or dealer ?
Echo runs hot specials from time to time to promote certain models.
That saw at my local dealer is aprox $350.00
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#29]
The young ladies working the parts counter at my dealer love chocolate.
So they get chocolate when I go to get parts, and I get my parts asap and they will even go stihl them from the mechanics in the back if necessary.
Gonna give this working carb some fresh parts.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So they get chocolate when I go to get parts, and I get my parts asap and they will even go stihl them from the mechanics in the back if necessary.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/99431DF2-D51B-488E-A582-7589FCDA7B55-2571118.jpg
View Quote

I love me some work in progress
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/99431DF2-D51B-488E-A582-7589FCDA7B55-2571118.jpg
View Quote
Have you considered the new Walbro Spiral Diaphragm?

https://www.walbro.com/spiraldiaphragm/

Walbro Spiral Diaphragm Carburetor

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Interesting, will watch in a bit.
Thanks very much

Edit:
That is a neat looking design, gonna have to try one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Stihl yellow, and keep razor sharp, sharp chain puts much less work on the saw/upper assembly.
Skip is good for longer bars run on too small a saw, sharp full comp chains tend to run smoother, especially if you have the power to run em on long bars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I have to ask now, what do you use to sharpen your chains?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have tried various devices over the years and keep coming back to free hand.
I use Stihl and Oregon chain since that is what my dealer stocks.
Stihl 3/8 50 calls for 13/64 file, Oregon calls for 7/32, I use 7/32 on both.
I have cordless sharpener with good bits and a few Stihl combo guide systems.
I still prefer free hand and use the west coast raker tool for rakers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I paid the same on October 4th from Home Depot so it's gone up since then.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Camping this weekend made me realize how much better a saw would make life. Since y'all use them regularly what would you suggest for the occasional weekend camper who likes a good campfire and doesn't want to spend a long time chopping a downed tree into chunks with an axe?

Also for the periods between camp what should be done? Assuming like my dirtbike. Run the carb dry/drain it and drain the fuel?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Even though they aren't for me, this sounds like the perfect scenario for an electric/battery model.  That's if you're gathering dead/dry wood at each camp site.  If I were cutting a few years supply that I take with me, I would stay gas powered.  

As far as storage, I have started saws that have sat for a year+ with an empty fuel tank and carb run dry prior to storage, but I mix my oil into ethanol free (avgas) at 40-1.  Also, if left in a barn or shed, thermal cycles can "pump" oil out of your bar oil tank.  Might be a good idea to drain it as well.
View Quote

I'd prefer gas, at each campsite we find down trees and cut them smaller, it's easier for me to carry some extra gas then hope I remembered to charge the batteries. Also the areas we camp have blue gas (ethanol free) so I can run that when I go up there.

Good to know about thermal cycles. Being in the desert we can go from real hot to real cold lol.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also for the periods between camp what should be done? Assuming like my dirtbike. Run the carb dry/drain it and drain the fuel?
View Quote

Mainly because I'm dumb and set in my ways, I don't like running 2 strokes dry.  That fuel mixture lubricates the engine and I don't know what happens inside when it starts leaning out due to lack of that fuel mix.

As far as sitting I have no issues with ethanol free treated with marine stabil gas sitting.  I just ran a generator yesterday that had been sitting with the tank full for over a year.  First pull, started right up.  

If you buy that expensive pre mix like tru fuel it should be good to sit in the saw for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Camping this weekend made me realize how much better a saw would make life. Since y'all use them regularly what would you suggest for the occasional weekend camper who likes a good campfire and doesn't want to spend a long time chopping a downed tree into chunks with an axe?

View Quote

Electric is what you seek, especially in campgrounds

Unless you camp in isolation.

For Gas I never run a saw dry on purpose. The mix oil has a Stabil function I believe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Rock_Ranger

get a Pferd CS-X hand sharpener(*) and a bar stand.
Note, Stihl resells the Pferd sharpeners under their banner.

(*) there are a couple of different models which vary for chain pitch and round file diameter.

example sharpener
https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-17301Pferd-Chain-Sharp-Filing/dp/B003M4LGPE
example stand
https://www.amazon.com/OREGON-26368A-Logger-Filing-Chain/dp/B000PS9O68

PFERD - Chain Saw Sharpener CHAIN SHARP CS-X
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Rock_Ranger

(*) there are a couple of different models which vary for chain pitch and round file diameter.

example sharpener
example stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Rock_Ranger

example sharpener
example stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY

These are the way to go for me, more consistent in sharpness and bite.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Almost through my second tank of fuel in my new Echo 620P.  27" bar without skip tooth, but chisel chain. (measures the same as my old 28", not sure why they say 27")  14-16" ash with just a bit of four stroking in the cut.  Seems tuned pretty well from the factory, and this thing rips.  

I might not need to mod it.

But I will....
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Electric is what you seek, especially in campgrounds

Unless you camp in isolation.

For Gas I never run a saw dry on purpose. The mix oil has a Stabil function I believe.
View Quote

99% is roughing it, nobody for miles the few times I'm in a designated campsite you won't hear the chainsaw over the generators all the rvs use.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I have the Pferd style sharpener but have come to prefer the Granberg File-N-Joint. It’s much more precise and you can set the angles and depth just like you do with a grinder. You can swap files to whatever size you need at the time.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Echo 2511 T
Tiny muffler exit, not anymore

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Project #2? You Stihl working on project 1?
View Quote

I get sidetracked easily
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I get sidetracked easily
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project #2? You Stihl working on project 1?

I get sidetracked easily

Don't let me stop you.

I like seeing the variety of saw brands and models.

As long as they are 2 strokes.

I kid, all chainsaws are welcome here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't let me stop you.

I like seeing the variety of saw brands and models.

As long as they are 2 strokes.

I kid, all chainsaws are welcome here.
View Quote

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top