Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hatchbacks don't sell unless it's a crossover or suv
View Quote

Hot hatches are still a thing, and the WRX getting rid of it is likely why the Focus ST did as well as it did.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I thought those numbers were anemic too.

My wife’s’19 Kia Cadenza makes 290 HP with a 3.3 GDI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
271 and 258what pathetic numbers in this day and age. Jesus subaru. And this is from someone who has had two turbo Legacies, and at one point owned a GC8, bug eye, and blob at the same time. What a fucking disappointment.

ETA VA .2 model. But uglier. If they'd bring back the hatch, it might look decent but that cladding and weird trunk/c pillar is gross.

I thought those numbers were anemic too.

My wife’s’19 Kia Cadenza makes 290 HP with a 3.3 GDI.

They always want to give the STI room, so detuning the motor to keep the STI special is what happened here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Our Highlander AWD only has 295 HP /263 torque and It's pretty damn fast. I imagine this weighs a little less, so still fast. Shitty head gasket, butt ugly lezbo mobile, but fast.
View Quote

You have a much different definition of “fast” than the average car enthusiast and certainly different than the average WRX buyer.  This new car isn’t quick or fast.  With a slew of peppy EV coming out with AWD this is not a step forward at all for Subaru.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome car for a teenage girl.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They always want to give the STI room, so detuning the motor to keep the STI special is what happened here.
View Quote

Lol they say that every generation.  This is not a power jump for the WRX.  Why would you assume the STI will get a power bump from where it is.  The WRX and WRX STI need at least 50hp/tq more to even be a contender in today’s market.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Always has been

But with awd and a more finicky engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's a 4 door civic

Always has been

But with awd and a more finicky engine.

I hate Boxer engines.

Head gasket replacement, here we come!

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol they say that every generation.  This is not a power jump for the WRX.  Why would you assume the STI will get a power bump from where it is.  The WRX and WRX STI need at least 50hp/tq more to even be a contender in today’s market.
View Quote

Does it though? Unless they raise the price, what sub 30k sporty-ish cars make that power?

Don’t get me wrong it’s still lower than I want, but I’ve been resigned to a much higher price tag for a long time now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can’t believe they are still hung up on NOT selling a hatchback WRX.  Had a 2015 and loved it, but when half of them sold are hatches and they decided to only sell sedans?  Epic fail.
View Quote

When it came time to replace wife's DD 2005 Saab 92x (rebadged WRX Wagon) we wanted to buy another WRX.  Since the Sport Wagon was no longer available, we bought elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Ugg, why is everyone putting civic tail lights on their cars now?

<- JDM fanboy
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I would get the new Hyundai Elantra N

2022 Hyundai Elantra N: First Look — Cars.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still holding my breath for a proper, high performance auto tranny in a WRX...
View Quote

Well, it looks like you got your wish in the GT trim of this car.

It looks like only the auto is offered in the top trim which I believe is a mistake.  

Still, I'm happy anytime a manufacturer makes a new performance car available with a manual.  Curious what the STI will be like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#12]
lol, wow, such orange, fuck Subaru, fucking lesbo junk, you couldn't get me in one alive
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, it looks like you got your wish in the GT trim of this car.

It looks like only the auto is offered in the top trim which I believe is a mistake.  

Still, I'm happy anytime a manufacturer makes a new performance car available with a manual.  Curious what the STI will be like.
View Quote

Still sounds like it comes with a CVT to me but with some different tuning to make it pretend to be sporty while “shifting”.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would get the new Hyundai Elantra N

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gg0L0lE1kU
View Quote
If you don't want AWD then by all means get something besides a WRX.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hot hatches are still a thing, and the WRX getting rid of it is likely why the Focus ST did as well as it did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the goodcarbadcar numbers the Crosstrek has been selling more than the impreza and wrx combined. That still pales in comparison to the Forester and Outback though. Still a turbo crosstrek and/or wrx hatch would only help them as far as I can tell. A crosstrek starts at $22k, 2.5 sport is $26.5, WRX is $27.5. There's no reason not to have some version(s) of a mild turbo hatchback that comes in under $30k.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STI won't be using the EJ series motors anymore.  It will likely get some boost over the previous 305.  At least I hope so.  You are right about them needing at least 50hp/tq more.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
271 and 258what pathetic numbers in this day and age. Jesus subaru. And this is from someone who has had two turbo Legacies, and at one point owned a GC8, bug eye, and blob at the same time. What a fucking disappointment.

ETA VA .2 model. But uglier. If they'd bring back the hatch, it might look decent but that cladding and weird trunk/c pillar is gross.
View Quote

OMFG they squished a Crosstrek.

But talking about the engines themselves. The 2.4 Turbo in the Outback XT's are seriously underrated, we are finding they are dynoing above the expected numbers. But that seems standard for your typical 2.0-2.4 Turbo engine. Now the STI will come out swinging above 300hp as usual. These fucking manufacturers keep ever so slightly nudging the power forward. The STI's could easily come from the factory with 400 HP with every little changes. My Outback XT and the Ascents should have came with 300, not 268 (they do dyno stronger though). COBB is fixing some things as usual that the manufacturer missed in the tuning. Once they smooth out that erratic maniac of a CVT an, get the boost under control and add in about a 10% increase in power, we should be smooth.

And to Subaru of America. We want a fucking STI wagon/hatch back again! With a real manual, and 350+hp. Bastards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Focus ST and Focus RS's were the finest vehicles to come from Ford in decades. No matter how modded they got, how hard they were drive, they were so solid. The engines were seriously underrated as well and took to tuning like a fat girl to cake. I should have never sold them
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm still waiting on an STi Forester...

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT SUBARU!

I do miss my 07 STi...
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#20]
What? They used a new larger engine and it has roughly the same power as the previous model?

FAIL. It needed at least 290-300 horsepower. WTF Subaru.

Also those fenders are hideous.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The STI won't be using the EJ series motors anymore.  It will likely get some boost over the previous 305.  At least I hope so.  You are right about them needing at least 50hp/tq more.
View Quote

In all fairness, that hasn't been confirmed. While extremely unlikely I'd laugh my ass off for days if we end up with the EJ for yet another 10 years in the STI.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Queer
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can’t believe they are still hung up on NOT selling a hatchback WRX.  Had a 2015 and loved it, but when half of them sold are hatches and they decided to only sell sedans?  Epic fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agree. I had a HB STI.  When I needed a new car, I switched to a Golf-R because the STIs no longer had a HB.  Now I an fanaticizing about the 2022 Golf R.

ETA:
Quoted:

VW sells hatchback Golf's as fast as they can make them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What? They used a new larger engine and it has roughly the same power as the previous model?

FAIL. It needed at least 290-300 horsepower. WTF Subaru.

Also those fenders are hideous.
View Quote

The standard WRX will never see 300 from the factory unless it's wearing an STI badge. And the STI's better ramp shit up fast with the talks of a new Mitsu EVO on the horizon. If that beast comes back, Subaru is in trouble again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like a bigger current gen corolla.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Now bring back the XT Forester.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Those power numbers are weak.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agree. I had a HB STI.  When I needed a new car, I switched to a Golf-R because the STIs no longer had a HB.  Now I an fanaticizing about the 2022 Golf R.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe they are still hung up on NOT selling a hatchback WRX.  Had a 2015 and loved it, but when half of them sold are hatches and they decided to only sell sedans?  Epic fail.

Yeah, but the R is now $44k!
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The standard WRX will never see 300 from the factory unless it's wearing an STI badge. And the STI's better ramp shit up fast with the talks of a new Mitsu EVO on the horizon. If that beast comes back, Subaru is in trouble again.
View Quote

Subaru hasn't been pushing boundaries in awhile. I'd bet at most we'll see 350 in the new STI but more likely just a few above the Type R just to say they beat it. They can then spend the next decade doing 5hp power boosts every few years just to say they did something.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So its the same thing as last year's?

Does this one still drink oil and blow ringlands?
View Quote

Again… That hasn’t been a thing in years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#31]
We get it, you vape
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Pricing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pricing?
View Quote

Not released as far as I can tell, but I'd bet 25-35k depending on trim. Nothing here screams to me that they are bumping this up a price tier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why didn't it launch it on Gay Pride Month?
View Quote
That's when Ford, Chevy, and Dodge were launching all their new brodozers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Finally a WRX with some decent styling.
View Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think they've gotten uglier over time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#39]
The taillights remind me of some past Hondas.  I do like the black cladding around the fenders though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So fucking gross.  It lacks any kind of aggression at all.  RIP WRX, your time was coming and now we are here.

Looks like a great rental fleet vehicle though.
View Quote

It's not the first time. 2008 was another year where they went super soft and the whole world went into an uproar about it. 2009 was a slight refresh to make the fenders look more aggressive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#41]
No power increase and the same rather crappy MPG for the STI probably……shame.   $35-45k price point lol nope.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why didn't it launch it on Gay Pride Month?

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All I've wanted from Subaru for years is to put a turbo driveline in the crosstrek.
View Quote
They keep talking about it but corporate says they have trouble keeping the crosstrek in stock now, never mind if they introduced a turbo model. I have owned two crosstreks - a turbo would be awesome!! I hope they finally offer it one day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not released as far as I can tell, but I'd bet 25-35k depending on trim. Nothing here screams to me that they are bumping this up a price tier.
View Quote

Hopefully that’s the case. If they can keep the base model at $25-28k that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It looks like a Corolla.
View Quote

Was my exact thought
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They keep talking about it but corporate says they have trouble keeping the crosstrek in stock now, never mind if they introduced a turbo model. I have owned two crosstreks - a turbo would be awesome!! I hope they finally offer it one day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I've wanted from Subaru for years is to put a turbo driveline in the crosstrek.
Then kill the Impreza sedan/hatch line and use that capacity to increase the crosstrek line and get some better variants in the mix.

I don't get the current Impreza 4/5door line. Lets make a cheap utilitarian vehicle with regular car ground clearance despite the awesome all wheel drive and stuff in a shit fucking horrible drivetrain. The base crosstrek is only $3,450 more MSRP then a 4 door Impreza. I'd rather spend a bit more for a civic or corolla if I wanted a small sedan and if I was that worried about needing AWD i'd just get a set of winter tires for it.

Subaru just seems to love to iterate on mediocrity.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Well that looks like an orange Honda Accord.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would have been great- we test drove a Premium but wanted a little more juice, so we had to order a Sport. The 2.0 with a turbo and the sport modes would be just the thing.

I have the 2.0 turbo on my Forester XT and it's a blast.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
WRX's are fun little cars at a somewhat reasonable price for what you get. No auto trans, no buy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow. Was hopeful, but yeah that looks like shit and those numbers suck.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top