Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup. I have one double circle 10 that works in the PSA 101, but never use it as they're so damn expensive now. $15 AC Unity mags are the PMAG of the 5.56 AK world
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve had my SLR-106FR since 2007, and I had the forethought to buy a small pile of Bulgarian waffle mags back then too.

The mags are the real consideration… and I’d maybe go with the Beryl/Mini Beryl these days. The SAM5 AR-M5F is pretty cool too though.

Get some AC Unity 5.56 mags for your 106…  Work fine, and cost like $15 or less.  No more worries about cracking an expensive Bulgarian mag.

Yup. I have one double circle 10 that works in the PSA 101, but never use it as they're so damn expensive now. $15 AC Unity mags are the PMAG of the 5.56 AK world

AC Unity are certainly great for the money. I'll be getting a handful of PSA's new steel feedlips mags that look like 74 mags when funds allow.

DETAILS
Black Polymer Construction

Mil-Spec

Caliber: 5.56x45mm

30 Round Capacity

Steel Reinforcements Front and Back

Steel Feed Lips

Steel Locking Lugs

FEATURES
These Soviet Arms AK-556 Polymer Magazines are steel reinforced to the front and rear of the mag. They include steel feed lips and steel locking lugs. Magazine has a 30 round capacity and is made in the USA.

*Due to a wide variety of manufacturing specifications, these magazines may need to be fitted to your gun.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Arsenal SAM-5.......works like a champ and is accurate
View Quote
this
also have an SLR106fr and its been great as well

factory mags $40-$45
&
AC unity mags $13

they are great solid rifles but if I didn't already have these I would go with a Galil
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Jman_JJE @palmettostatearmory

PLEASE make a PSA AK-102/AK-101 with a 13.7"/14.5" 1/2x28 barrel!!
View Quote

We are planning a big 4th quarter push on 101/102 and those configurations are on the list.

Right now we are ramping up the Sabre-10, expanding the catalog on JAKL, getting ready to launch the micro dagger, spinning up Soviet steel case ammo and launching 6.5cm/308.

The table is full, but we see the need.

Thanks,
Jamin
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We are planning a big 4th quarter push on 101/102 and those configurations are on the list.

Right now we are ramping up the Sabre-10, expanding the catalog on JAKL, getting ready to launch the micro dagger, spinning up Soviet steel case ammo and launching 6.5cm/308.

Thanks,
Jamin
View Quote

Psa is amazing
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Jamin
View Quote

Awesome thank you for the update
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Jamin
View Quote

Thanks for the response Jamin!

Sincerely,
Loyal PSA Customer
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Psa is amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Jamin

Psa is amazing

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I built one on my own with a Bulgarian AK74 kit and a AK Builder barrel and a Nodak receiver.

Works great with AC Unity mags. Dirt cheap.  Fun gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#9]
762x39 will be going away except for overpriced American  stuff. A case has already gotten more expensive that 556. I may buy a 556 AK soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
762x39 will be going away except for overpriced American  stuff. A case has already gotten more expensive that 556. I may buy a 556 AK soon.
View Quote

Ammo prices flipping on their heads got me into a PSA AK101.

I already had an AK102 clone built on a Saiga before the Russian import ban made the base rifles quadruple in price.

I gave up on getting a 101 until PSA's became available. I decided I would save my foreign 5.45 and 7.62 stashes for another day and start using a full size 5.56 AK to scratch the COMBLOC itch without having to buy ammo that's expensive for what it is from an accuracy/consistency perspective.

ETA: I'm set up to reload all three calibers, but 5.56 is far cheaper to reload and makes switching most of my AK time to a 5.56 AK an even better idea.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't remember what thread, but I believe it was in the PSA industry forum, it was revealed that one of the founders of PSA is a big AK fan, which was the reason for them getting into building AKs to begin with.

What made that thread memorable for me was a list of AK and AK based rifles they have tentative plans to produce. On that list was a rifle I have long lusted after.
Attachment Attached File

Yes please! Since then, I have watched the development of PSAs AK production very closely. Not because I think this rifle will start production anywhere resembling soon, rather seeing how PSA is ironing out how to produce quality rifles and working out bugs in the production process. For a rifle with a reputation for being super simple and crude, producing a quality rifle is surprisingly complex.

I am content to watch them perfect their ability to make this type of rifle so that by the time they get to producing the Valmet variant(s), they'll have it down to science and produce a very high quality version comparable to the originals.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have a good source for Circle 10 amber mags? I have one 20 rounder I've come to appreciate
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
A first Generation Galil ACE in 5.56 is probably the highest quality AK you can find, short of a SIG 551.

But neither are very traditional AK, at least looks wise

Pair of ACEs - hence the screen name

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I built one from a Tantal and arsenal barrel then welded and remachined the front trunnion to take Galil mags like whoever the first asshole to make 5.56 AKs should have done.
View Quote

LOL...Guerilla Machinist in action.
If only you lived closer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't remember what thread, but I believe it was in the PSA industry forum, it was revealed that one of the founders of PSA is a big AK fan, which was the reason for them getting into building AKs to begin with.

What made that thread memorable for me was a list of AK and AK based rifles they have tentative plans to produce. On that list was a rifle I have long lusted after.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77917/012EC47C-152E-4755-A4E4-191530C85884_jpe-2890192.JPG

Yes please! Since then, I have watched the development of PSAs AK production very closely. Not because I think this rifle will start production anywhere resembling soon, rather seeing how PSA is ironing out how to produce quality rifles and working out bugs in the production process. For a rifle with a reputation for being super simple and crude, producing a quality rifle is surprisingly complex.

I am content to watch them perfect their ability to make this type of rifle so that by the time they get to producing the Valmet variant(s), they'll have it down to science and produce a very high quality version comparable to the originals.
View Quote

Woah I had no idea they planned on making Valmets having one with that tube stock has always been a dream. My dads best friend had a couple of Valmets and that’s what got me into AKs trying to itch that urge to own one since. I hope they do it soon I cannot wait
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A first Generation Galil ACE in 5.56 is probably the highest quality AK you can find, short of a SIG 551.

But neither are very traditional AK, at least looks wise

Pair of ACEs - hence the screen name

https://i.ibb.co/yFgLgx5/186-E365-A-5-BB6-4-DA3-BE7-C-DC071-D33820-C.jpg
View Quote

A Galil is actually pretty high on my list I may have to just get it now to fill both needs. Damn so many options and not enough money
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]

I shot a five shot group measuring 1.31 inches (edge to edge) from my PSA AK 101 today, from the bench at 100 yds.

I am not Molon.
He would have shot a tighter group, and provided better, more scientific data.
Five shot groups are not adequate to determine the true accuracy of a gun.
An excellent group from a single gun is not statistically worth mentioning.
But if you had told me that an American made 5.56 AK, that was purchased for $649 (on sale) could shoot a 1.31 inch, five shot group at 100 yds, I'd have said you were on drugs.

Weather:

4 inch circle:

Caliper measurement and ammo used:

I purchased this gun on 6-13-23. It is no longer stock.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-101-classic-polymer-rifle-w-toolcraft-trunnion-bolt-carrier-and-10-magazines.html

I added an MI Alpha Rail when PA had them on sale.
I just added a PA SLX 1-6 FFP LVPO mounted on a Master mount side mount (long).
I added a Rifle Dynamics M4 Stock adaptor so that I had the right eye relief to use the scope properly.
I added a Krebs Custom BHO safety.
I did not change the trigger.
I am using AC Unity 5.56 AK magazines.

Negatives:

There is some slight peening/mushrooming on the tail of the BCG/Op Rod.
I only have 420 rds through the gun. There has been one FTF with a light primer strike, but I blame myself for that as I believe I rode the bolt home and didnt allow the gun to operate properly. The round the gun did not fire originally was reinserted into the magazine, allowed to chamber properly and fired just fine immediately afterwards. It is overgassed, tears the crap out of the rim of the ammo while extracting, and flings brass into the next zip code. I may be able to reload the brass one or two time again, but twice is risking a torn rim and having to extract a broken case from the chamber.

This gun is ALOT of fun to shoot. It is far flatter shooting than my 7.62x39 AK's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I shot a five shot group measuring 1.31 inches (edge to edge) from my PSA AK 101 today, from the bench at 100 yds.

I am not Molon.
But if you had told me that an American made 5.56 AK, that was purchased for $649 (on sale) could shoot a 1.31 inch, five shot group at 100 yds, I'd have said you were on drugs.

Weather:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Weather-2893835.jpg

4 inch circle:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Pic_1-2893837.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Pic_2-2893838.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Ammo-2893836.jpg

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-101-classic-polymer-rifle-w-toolcraft-trunnion-bolt-carrier-and-10-magazines.html

I added a Rifle Dynamics M4 Stock adaptor so that I had the right eye relief to use the scope properly.

Negatives:

I only have 420 rds through the gun. There has been one FTF with a light primer strike, but I blame myself for that as I believe I rode the bolt home and didnt allow the gun to operate properly. The round the gun did not fire originally was reinserted into the magazine, allowed to chamber properly and fired just fine immediately afterwards. It is overgassed, tears the crap out of the rim of the ammo while extracting, and flings brass into the next zip code. I may be able to reload the brass one or two time again, but twice is risking a torn rim and having to extract a broken case from the chamber.

This gun is ALOT of fun to shoot. It is far flatter shooting than my 7.62x39 AK's.
View Quote

I love the 101 look, and wish Arsenal wasn't the only importer of 100 series looking AK's.

That said one of the reasons I love the ZPAP M90 is the adjustable gas system. It's such a light shooting gun on setting one, and something that I think all commercial AK's should have.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am not Molon.

Weather:

4 inch circle:

Negatives:

View Quote

That’s awesome I don’t know they could be that accurate
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I love the 101 look, and wish Arsenal wasn't the only importer of 100 series looking AK's.

That said one of the reasons I love the ZPAP M90 is the adjustable gas system. It's such a light shooting gun on setting one, and something that I think all commercial AK's should have.

View Quote

How often is the gas block adjustments really used? I’m stuck on what to pick hahaha
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m thinking of getting a 5.56 ak, I’m not sure which to get I’m leaning to the beryl right now any advice? Or anything else I should look for?
View Quote

Something by Zastava.  They are the best thing going in AK's now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How often is the gas block adjustments really used? I’m stuck on what to pick hahaha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I leave mine on setting 1 unless I'm shooting in the winter, cheap Russian ammo short strokes around 20* so I have to change it to setting two.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At Kalashni-con I saw a bunch of 556 AK’s have problems being over gassed. Having either an adjustable gas block or gas piston can be helpful.

if you’re not going to use a suppressor, and you’re not worried about dialing in the gun to have the softest recoil,(competition), I’m not sure it’s necessary for your needs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I’d like a modernized rk62. What the Finns are/were doing

If PSA offers a 14.5/13.9/13.7 556 AK with the muzzle device pinned, I would be all over it. Same with a ‘39 AK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#25]
First time I saw a mini Beryl was here in Iraq. The Pole carrying it probably would have thought it was weird if I'd walked up to him and told him how adorable it was

I want one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am not Molon.

Weather:

4 inch circle:

Negatives:

View Quote

Great shooting! Thanks for your business and the feedback
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#28]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you everyone there is a lot of info here and a lot more options than I knew were out there
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’d like a modernized rk62. What the Finns are/were doing

If PSA offers a 14.5/13.9/13.7 556 AK with the muzzle device pinned, I would be all over it. Same with a ‘39 AK.
View Quote

Do you mean a SAKO RK95?

Supposedly that rifle program cost the Finns too much money and was curtailed and commercial sales never materialized.  There was some effort to modernize the RK62s but I don't know where that went.  The end of the Cold War and tapering of defense spending in the 90s put a stop to a lot of their funding and interesting projects.

"After the initial order by FDF (worth some 16 Million USD) for the new M95 and spare parts, no follow up orders have been planned, nor does there seem to be any funding for future orders. Sako delivered the last assault rifles to the FDF during 1997 and after that the production line will be closed. This in turn means that the production knowledge will eventually disappear and after only a few years it would be difficult to start producing again. Is Finnish assault rifle production “finished” for good?"

I guess they did modernize some RK62s as the RK 62M3:

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008342187.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do you mean a SAKO RK95?

https://is.mediadelivery.fi/img/658/b616ba5b050f640b346801a016644a06.jpg.webp

Supposedly that rifle program cost the Finns too much money and was curtailed and commercial sales never materialized.  There was some effort to modernize the RK62s but I don't know where that went.  The end of the Cold War and tapering of defense spending in the 90s put a stop to a lot of their funding and interesting projects.

"After the initial order by FDF (worth some 16 Million USD) for the new M95 and spare parts, no follow up orders have been planned, nor does there seem to be any funding for future orders. Sako delivered the last assault rifles to the FDF during 1997 and after that the production line will be closed. This in turn means that the production knowledge will eventually disappear and after only a few years it would be difficult to start producing again. Is Finnish assault rifle production “finished” for good?"

I guess they did modernize some RK62s as the RK 62M3:
https://is.mediadelivery.fi/img/658/04e89431d39e216b486b1d170889aa9e.jpg.webp
https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008342187.html
View Quote

Sure, I'll take that too. But, I meant the rifle referenced in this article* Article

*I know little about Valmets fwiw. But, the rifle looks cool and that is good enough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn it I need a Valmet, at this point I don’t care what kind they are just too damn sexy
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#33]
556 AKs are awesome.

I got lucky on my $649 psa 101 and it's been great for 800 rounds so far. WBP, unity, circle 10, and psa 556 ak mags have all been good to go.

I would probably get the beyrl 556 if I grabbed another. I think those would be rock solid and only increase in value. Honestly I should probably offload something to make room for one considering how much fun the psa is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
556 AKs are awesome.

I got lucky on my $649 psa 101 and it's been great for 800 rounds so far. WBP, unity, circle 10, and psa 556 ak mags have all been good to go.

I would probably get the beyrl 556 if I grabbed another. I think those would be rock solid and only increase in value. Honestly I should probably offload something to make room for one considering how much fun the psa is.
View Quote

I’m torn between the beryl and the m90 right now maybe the mini beryl
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Woah I had no idea they planned on making Valmets having one with that tube stock has always been a dream. My dads best friend had a couple of Valmets and that’s what got me into AKs trying to itch that urge to own one since. I hope they do it soon I cannot wait
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77917/012EC47C-152E-4755-A4E4-191530C85884_jpe-2890192.JPG

I'd be all over a Valmet
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'd be all over a Valmet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be all over a Valmet

I'd be all over a couple of them. Both tube folders. One in 5.56 the other in 7.62x39. The ones the Finns used were a bit different (different folding mechanism) and in 7.62x39. The 5.56 versions were specifically for the US market since at the time they were being imported, 7.62x39 ammo wasn't very common or popular here, so very few were imported and are Uber rare now

I'd like to see (and buy) both calibers with the folder as imported to the US.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That’s awesome I don’t know they could be that accurate
View Quote

I didnt either, to be honest!

Quoted:

Great shooting! Thanks for your business and the feedback
View Quote

You're welcome.
You guys caught some crap from youtubers when these were launched.
I myself have not experienced the issues that they complained about and felt that was important to share.
The ridiculous group it shot was an unexpected bonus.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

that's it. east german weiger mags.  those worked reliably in sar3's and saigas with linx310 bullet guides installed.  always being honest with pg conversion kits and 922r parts count was fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's it. east german weiger mags.  those worked reliably in sar3's and saigas with linx310 bullet guides installed.  always being honest with pg conversion kits and 922r parts count was fun.

922r and parts count…now that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time.

When $600 Saigas no longer became a thing the AK game got turned on it’s head.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Galil Ace 2 in 5.56 is pure awesomeness.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd be all over a couple of them. Both tube folders. One in 5.56 the other in 7.62x39. The ones the Finns used were a bit different (different folding mechanism) and in 7.62x39. The 5.56 versions were specifically for the US market since at the time they were being imported, 7.62x39 ammo wasn't very common or popular here, so very few were imported and are Uber rare now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be all over a Valmet

In the movie Firefox, the Soviet guards in the aircraft hangars carried Valmet rifles

If PSA produces them, I'll be on the hook for a couple as well
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Aks in 5.56 tend to suck. Bolt failures used to be common.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Love them
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Aks in 5.56 tend to suck. Bolt failures used to be common.
View Quote

What exactly does ‘bolt failures’ entail and which 5.56 AKs were they happening in? I used to big into the AK world in 2008-2014 when $600 Saigas and the RGuns kits were a thing and don’t remember hearing about a bunch of ‘bolt failures’ in 5.56 AKs.

@whiskerz
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#45]
SLR106F

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I had 3 milled SAM-5s in 5.56mm. They shot under 1.75 moa, unlike my Arsenal SLR-106 which shot 3.5 moa.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Very nice 5.56 and pro photo to boot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you everyone
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Valmet/SAKO will probably never produce another AK. The production line was shut down 25 years ago and they're all in on the AR train now (pending the outcome of the H&K lawsuit).
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Valmet/SAKO will probably never produce another AK. The production line was shut down 25 years ago and they're all in on the AR train now (pending the outcome of the H&K lawsuit).
View Quote

That’s pretty damn depressing
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top