Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/12/2023 11:34:19 PM EDT
It's a complicated backstory -- but, essentially, this woman (Kari Newell) and the newspaper have apparently had some bad blood of late ... and, in the aftermath of that, the Record says it recently obtained a tip about her past, revealing she'd once gotten a DUI and had driven without a license thereafter. This info could've hindered her business prospects.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/12/kansas-marion-county-record-newspaper-raided-leaked-dui/
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the cops have any evidence that there was hacking involved or did they just have to get it on?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Not a single thing in that entire article makes any sense.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Really difficult for me to give a damn about any media outlet suffering.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ministry of propaganda meets the SS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the newspaper obtained(?) expunged CJIS data, which is a misdemeanor in Kansas (and many other states).
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I got nothing

Whole thing sounds like small town drama bs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
This is not going to end well for the cops involved.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Never go afoul of your masters and their friends.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a complicated backstory -- but, essentially, this woman (Kari Newell) and the newspaper have apparently had some bad blood of late ... and, in the aftermath of that, the Record says it recently obtained a tip about her past, revealing she'd once gotten a DUI and had driven without a license thereafter. This info could've hindered her business prospects.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/12/kansas-marion-county-record-newspaper-raided-leaked-dui/
View Quote

Salisbury MD former mayor did the same thing.  Now he's in charge of urban housing in MD.  
Also was reprimanded by the Army for making a black man wear a chain to "respect the chain of command".  Still no one cares because he's a Democrat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a single thing in that entire article makes any sense.
View Quote

It seems like A LOT is missing. Public info isn't going to get you a warrant. If someone accessed the data illegally, that is different. Some things in the warrant sure look like that is what is being pushed. The source of the confidential info matters and I am curious if someone at the paper used a person's login to get the data since we see info about IP addresses.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Kansas newspaper says co-owner, 98, dies from stress after police search

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/kansas-newspaper-says-co-owner-98-dies-stress-after-police-search-2023-08-14/
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/kansas-newspaper-says-co-owner-98-dies-stress-after-police-search-2023-08-14/
View Quote

At that age, a stern look could have done him in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be nice to know the full story if legit raid or total BS and why
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It would be nice to know the full story if legit raid or total BS and why
View Quote

Saw it on Steve Lehto's channel yesterday, and he had info on the history of using government against media.  Specifically something in Michigan in the early 1900's I think?  It was the case that lead to the "can't yell fire in a crowded theater" saying.

Seems far-fetched, but small local governments can be insanely corrupt.  I'm thinking it's a legit story that if true, many people, including the cops and the judge, need to be made incapable of harming anyone else ever again.  Because, if true, those people can never be trusted again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did the cops have any evidence that there was hacking involved or did they just have to get it on?
View Quote
Gotta justify that budget.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If anyone is deserving of a pass, it might be a local paper. I’m not saying these people are, but still.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Small town...I could believe that something like that could happen as retribution for doing something a big wig didn't like.

Not enough info for an informed decision however I know the press will side with their own side no matter how blatantly the law is broken
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a female that died.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Warrant was probably issued illegally.
police chief had been under investigation for "something serious" by the newspaper and the newspaper had informed city officials of the investigation.
View Quote

The Chief apparently wanted to prevent the paper from reporting that he lost his last job due to a sexual misconduct allegation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Illegally obtained warrant, never happened before...

Hking
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Chief apparently wanted to prevent the paper from reporting that he lost his last job due to a sexual misconduct allegation.
View Quote

https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/08/kansas-paper-raided-by-police-was-investigating-police-chief-over-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

It turns out the Marian County Record was investigating Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody over sexual misconduct allegation.

Cody came to the Marion Police Department in April. He retired as a captain in Kansas City, MO.

Cody’s former colleagues reached out to the Marion County Record about the sexual misconduct allegations.

Marion County Record owner and publisher Eric Meyer spoke to the Handbasket substack:

EM: So the backstory that we haven’t told, because we don’t wanna get in trouble, is that we’ve been investigating the police chief [Gideon Cody]. When he was named Chief just two months ago, we got an outpouring of calls from his former co-workers making a wide array of allegations against him saying that he was about to be demoted at his previous job and that he retired to avoid demotion and punishment over sexual misconduct charges and other things.

We had half a dozen or more different anonymous sources calling in about that. Well, we never ran that because we never could get any of them to go on the record, and we never could get his personnel file. But the allegations—including the identities of who made the allegations—were on one of the computers that got seized. I may be paranoid that this has anything to do with it, but when people come and seize your computer, you tend to be a little paranoid.

Like Newell driving without a license, the paper never reported the allegations against Cody:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/08/kansas-police-criticized-for-raiding-local-newspaper-office-and-home-of-publisher/

Then Meyer and Zorn received a tip about Newell’s drunk driving conviction and how she drove without a license.

Meyer believed someone found out the information from Newell’s husband, who filed for divorce. He also knew the information could jeopardize Newell’s liquor license.

Meyer did not publish the story but told the police about it:

“We thought we were being set up,” Meyer said.

Police notified Newell, who then complained at a city council meeting that the newspaper had illegally obtained and disseminated sensitive documents, which isn’t true. Her public comments prompted the newspaper to set the record straight in a story published Thursday.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Kari was fucking the police chief and he was going to get the dirt the paper has on her.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#27]

That is a very strongly worded letter attached that I would not want to receive in his shoes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is a very strongly worded letter attached that I would not want to receive in his shoes.
View Quote

Warning the chief not to do what he probably already did minutes after the raid.
If he was on a fishing trip to find out who ratted him out in Kansas City, he struck gold.

https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Marion-County-Record-Letter-to-Chief-Cody.pdf

“I represent the Marion County Record and am writing to offer you an opportunity to mitigate my client’s damages from the illegal searches you personally authorized, directed and conducted on Friday,” wrote Rhodes.

Rhodes demanded authorities “not review any information” on any devices or material they confiscated during their “illegal search.”

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, that sounds an awful like one particular bastard using a drunk's unsubstantiated claims as an excuse to get back at the paper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The Marion Count attorney found insufficient evidence for the search warrant and ordered all items seized returned. The Chief of police is done.

https://www.kake.com/story/49437626/prosecutor-finds-insufficient-evidence-in-marion-newspaper-raid-items-to-be-returned
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Marion Count attorney found insufficient evidence for the search warrant and ordered all items seized returned. The Chief of police is done.

https://www.kake.com/story/49437626/prosecutor-finds-insufficient-evidence-in-marion-newspaper-raid-items-to-be-returned
View Quote

Has he submitted a complaint about the judge that signed a warrant based on insufficient evidence?

What about the officers and supervisors that signed off on the request?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Has he submitted a complaint about the judge that signed a warrant based on insufficient evidence?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The judge? Oh, I have a feeling she is fucked also.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article278237263.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  Sounds like there is a lot of rot there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

She just did what almost any magistrate would do, sign any warrant application put in front of her without wasting any time finding out what it was really about.

But now it has drawn her (probably unrelated) history from over ten years ago into the public view, and, like you say, she's fucked.

Because this sounds pretty bad for a law enforcement professional to have done. It also makes you wonder when the prosecutor with a suspended license is driving the judge's car around. I've bitched about the too-friendly relationship between judges and prosecutors before, but that's really friendly assuming she was in a position to argue cases before Judge Ball.

The first arrest — in Coffey County, about an hour and 15 minutes southeast of her home in Council Grove, on Jan. 25, 2012 — has not been reported.

The second — in Morris County on Aug. 6, 2012 — came amid an unopposed reelection bid for Morris County attorney. She was not supposed to be driving because her driver’s license was suspended in the Coffey County case, court records show. She reportedly drove off-road and crashed into a school building next to Council Grove’s football field while driving then-8th District Magistrate Judge Thomas Ball’s vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really....

A DA isn't the person that determines if there is adequate details OTHER than if there is a procedural requirement between the agencies.

A DA can't over ride a judge and is only there for prosecution.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not really....

A DA isn't the person that determines if there is adequate details OTHER than if there is a procedural requirement between the agencies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really....

He can make a very obvious observation and realize that his office wants nothing to do with this case.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are they working for another department yet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chief will probably be putting on a class.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not really....

View Quote

Reading between the lines, that’s not what happened.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I am thinking the guy who runs the newspaper and his mother died due to the stress of the raid will be wiping his ass with $100.00 bills.

Little po dunk PD and town will be bankrupted soon, they will not be able to afford any insurance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am thinking the guy who runs the newspaper and his mother died due to the stress of the raid will be wiping his ass with $100.00 bills.

Little po dunk PD and town will be bankrupted soon, they will not be able to afford any insurance.
View Quote

I hope they enjoy the multi-hour waits for service and every meth head in the area knowing they are in a law enforcement free zone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't live all that far from Marion. At a gathering of friends last evening, everyone present had heard about this case and was knowledgable about it. I think that all agreed that this case stinks to the high heavens. I'm waiting for the gut stomping to begin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After the state took over the prosecutor ordered the return of everything and saying there was no criminal case
View Quote

Apparently not that there wasn’t a criminal case, that there wasn’t PC for a warrant. My guess is that magistrate is done.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I hope they enjoy the multi-hour waits for service and every meth head in the area knowing they are in a law enforcement free zone.
View Quote

You know there is a sheriff in that county, right?
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm sure he'll be right on it...

I lived near a town that lost their department over shenanigans. The deputies only came to that side of the county if they were made to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

954 square miles. See you in a week or so.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

954 square miles. See you in a week or so.
View Quote

You get the number of deputies you contract for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

County Sheriff will likely take over I suppose/guess.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were better off before with how they were being protected and served.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top