Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/15/2020 2:30:24 PM EDT
Do you wash or replace your mask on a regular basis?  I mean it's a fertile ground for all sorts of bacteria and God know what else that you are breathing directly into your lungs while it is reducing the concentration of oxygen that actually kills a lot of this normally occurring stuff.

The way I see it, unless you are putting on a fresh mask at least every day it would be no different than wearing the same underwear every day - or not taking a shower every day.

I wonder if you looked into the houses of some of these mask wearers if you's see some shit like on Hoarders.  

Anyway - if you people are relying on a piece of fabric to protect you from certain death I'd assume you had a case of fresh ones in your vehicle and take the one you're wearing off and place it into a sealed bag as soon as you get back to your car from whatever horrid place you were at.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I just use them once. I bought 25 disposable masks, and I'm going to the grocery store every two weeks, so I'm good for a while.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I rotate between several masks and dispose as necessary.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m using my tighty whiteys. They serve a dual purpose. After I wear a pair for a couple of days I rotate them to mask duty.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple masks I rotate.  I do spray them with Lysol when I get back from the store and let them dry.    The wife eventually throws them in the laundry.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply. If that is in fact the norm, then based on all the peeps I see wearing them everywhere (even in their cars) -  I'm going to see where to invest in business that manufacture these things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What is this oxygen issue you are referencing?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ahnglw:
I’m using my tighty whiteys. They serve a dual purpose. After I wear a pair for a couple of days I rotate them to mask duty.
View Quote

I just rummage through my wife's laundry for something appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
How are mask wearers going to just up and say one day "well, the government said I shouldn't wear one anymore, guess coronavirus suddenly became less deadly"?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish it was easier to post a pic here because my surgical mask my wife gave me is borderline disgusting. Maybe not disgusting, but it's showing it's age and has some dirty spots on the outside.  I only wear it to get into stores so I really don't give a fuck what it looks like.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
New mask every morning.  I only wear it from the door to my office.  

It is laughable to see all of the scared sheep in the grocery store with masks.  What do they think changed since last month?  Do they think more of the virus is all over the place?  

Dog walkers, drivers, people out alone, all scared sheep.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AKFF:
What is this oxygen issue you are referencing?
View Quote

Nothing you need to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't worn one.

Don't own any.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKFF:
What is this oxygen issue you are referencing?
View Quote

It has been demonstrated that masks can cause O2 saturation to fall, markedly in some people.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I eat mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
If masks work then why isn't everything open?
If masks don't work then why are we wearing them?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
People who give a shit how other people wear masks are only slightly less annoying than mask Nazis

-guy who only wears a mask when the business requires it
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Viruses are inactivated after a certain amount of time outside of a host.  They’re inactivated quicker in the heat of a car in the Texas sun.

I use it, toss it in a paper bag, date it, and reuse after 7 days if necessary.

By then, any viruses caught in the mask should be inactivated. Not worried about the bacteria.

Next.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I wear a mask as better protection FOR you, not me.  Surprised you dont understand this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't wear them because I think they'll protect me or protect others - just because they're required in the office at work, and many buildings now refuse entry if you're not wearing one.

ETA: I've got a mix of cloth masks I wash every few days, and disposable surgical masks I wear and toss at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope I wear a bandana only because it's required by the local government.

I only wear it in the store.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I just leave it in the truck. It's black on black and sits in the sun all day. It's an "auto"clave.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered 100 masks back in January.  Wore a mask in public for the first time today in order to get a haircut.

ETA: a mask was REQUIRED to receive service.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DenJ:

It has been demonstrated that masks can cause O2 saturation to fall, markedly in some people.
View Quote

I had to go to Costco today to pick up a few things and get a prescription.  Since they require people to wear masks, I figured i'll wear my dual cartridge half face respirator with filters rated to stop the virus.  I've used this mask when working in the shop and its easy to breath through and has an exhalation port.

However, after wearing it for 30 minutes while walking around Costco and waiting it in line, I didn't feel good.  I felt like I feel when my asthma flares up and I'm having difficulty breathing.  I wish I had taken my portable pulse O2 meter with me to see what my O2 levels were.

I realized that this mask is great and comfortable, but I had never worn it while walking around for a half hour.  Only sitting or standing in my shop.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Rotate between several.

Hand wash with hot hot water and dawn soap, hang in sun to dry.

Masks mandatory to go anywhere here.

Being selling them as fast as I can sew them. $20 a pop
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine are from China.  I got lots of them.

Every time I go out I use a new one.  Shortly after I get home I feel terrible, but it passes in 24-48 hours.  Hope it isn't these masks doing this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I only wear it because you have to. Otherwise, it sits on the front seat of my car. Can't wait until this shit is over with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I keep one dust mask (not N95) in the car for when I have to go in anywhere, it’s the law to wear them in businesses here.  Same one, over and over, I wear it bc I have to not as a precaution.  It’s stupid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Just leave it on the dashboard of your Car.    Sunlight is radiation.  It kills microbes.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MHowski:
I keep one dust mask (not N95) in the car for when I have to go in anywhere, it’s the law to wear them in businesses here.  Same one, over and over, I wear it bc I have to not as a precaution.  It’s stupid.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:
Viruses are inactivated after a certain amount of time outside of a host.  They’re inactivated quicker in the heat of a car in the Texas sun. 

I use it, toss it in a paper bag, date it, and reuse after 7 days if necessary. 

By then, any viruses caught in the mask should be inactivated. Not worried about the bacteria. 

Next.
View Quote

Sweet! So I can toss my underwear and used rubbers into a paper bag and leave it in my car for 7 days and I'm good to go!  I love science.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By krustyone:
I just leave it in the truck. It's black on black and sits in the sun all day. It's an "auto"clave. 
View Quote

Same.  Dashboard autoclave, El oh el.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I throw them out after use. If I run low, I'll start rotating them over a 2 week period, and be careful not to touch the inside

Originally Posted By glklvr:
How are mask wearers going to just up and say one day "well, the government said I shouldn't wear one anymore, guess coronavirus suddenly became less deadly"?
View Quote

The government has a track record of lying about these things so you have to use common sense
I started wearing one even when they were saying that masks actually make you more likely to get infected. I'm not going to stop if they say to quit wearing it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine gets washed regularly based on use. No need to wash it if I didn't wear it. I only go into town once or twice a week. Since I'm not going to get it from the cows, sheep and goats, I don't wear it around the ranch. It's also been about a month since we had a case in our county.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:
People who give a shit how other people wear masks are only slightly less annoying than mask Nazis 

-guy who only wears a mask when the business requires it
View Quote

Exactly. If it doesn't hurt you in some way MYOB.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Security theater
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I keep them rotated (N95's) and put the one I take off on the dash of my car.  Heat + UV disinfects
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

Sweet! So I can toss my underwear and used rubbers into a paper bag and leave it in my car for 7 days and I'm good to go!  I love science. 
View Quote

Yes simpleton. That’s exactly what he said to do.  Get to it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Wearing a mask says " I respect you "
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#40]
For everyone who wears a mask out, are you wearing it so you don’t get the virus or are you wearing it so you don’t spread it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wear a mask as better protection FOR you, not me.  Surprised you dont understand this.
View Quote
This. My wife is a nurse and her floor has about half the nurses down with Covid19. I wear the mask in public in case we are asymmetric carriers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Haven't worn one.

Don't own any.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#43]

It has been demonstrated that masks can cause O2 saturation to fall, markedly in some people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes blood oxygen levels when the person has breathing issues, but he said lowered the oxygen level they breath

...into your lungs while it is reducing the concentration of oxygen that actually kills a lot of this normally occurring stuff.

I wear a mask when in a store, why because they said to, and if I want to go into their store I have to. You know the "their store their rules thing"

I also have asthma, and if it helps keep me safe I am willing. Its not me I am worried about its the other people who may be sick I worry about.

I also have several that I rotate, but based on the fact that i have been in a store 6 times in the last 2 months I am not having to wear them often.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:
I’m using my tighty whiteys. They serve a dual purpose. After I wear a pair for a couple of days I rotate them to mask duty.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Haven't worn one.

Don't own any.
View Quote

This, and not going to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah well it is a N95 mask so i throw it in the trash and get another one out of the box in the floorboard.   Pretty easy really.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Turnkey:
Wearing a mask says " I respect you "
View Quote

I've said this before, If I were working in a market and in the general public, I would be happy
to see people wearing masks.  I wear a mask to keep my hands from my face, very simple and
it works.  I don't wear gloves and I don't care what I touch.  I disinfect my hands once back to my
vehicle.  I clean the door handle too.  I then take my mask off by the strings, I really don't touch my
mask and yes I leave it on the dash.  I fucking hate the whole process but I know for a fact that the
virus is real, it is highly contagious and it can kill me.  I don't worry about it per se, I just take certain precautions.
I have never worn one in my vehicle or outdoors and never will.  It's not that big of deal OP and I really
don't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I use uv light to sanitize them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]
changed every 4 hours*

*while at work...
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Thanks for the reply. If that is in fact the norm, then based on all the peeps I see wearing them everywhere (even in their cars) -  I'm going to see where to invest in business that manufacture these things.
View Quote

You and every Amish lady and otherwise bored housewife in the country.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top