Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
OP thats a small abscess from a MRSA infection.  It'll get better if someone can I&D it and get you on some antibiotics like Doxy that offer coverage for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that Staph? What does that mean if it is MSRA infection?
View Quote

It's typically necrotizing, eating the flesh. I got a  necrotizing streph infection. Same as staff but in the throat. Dr misdiagnosed it as a boil. gave me some antibiotics and said iI would get better. Two days later back to the ER and wound up in the hospital for a week with them trying to save my leg. 20%v mortality rate. Get wound care involved with it. Trust me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid fuck doctor.....I knew what that was right then and there.

Thanks to being diabetic, MRSA can be a common thing with us. Had an infection on the jewels, doctor flat out told me to get my shit together.

Gets in the bloodstream it's really had juju then....
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it needs I&D with culture to ID bacteria.  MRSA looks like that.  Brown recluse bites are nasty!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My brown recluse spider bite looked exactly like that. Sucked but I'm still alive. Probably should had gotten medical treatment but I was out of state at the time.  Took a couple weeks to heal.
View Quote

This, but I got treatment from a doctor that recognized it immediately.  Don't screw around, those things can go necrotic very fast.  37 years later I still have a scar on my foot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could get ugly if thats a recluse bite. It effects everyone a little different.
View Quote

*Affects*  ;)
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also have cellulitis from the bite.  I got it from a fire ant bite and spent the night in the hospital on IV antibiotics.  Don't mess with that, go back and get treated properly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
MRSA
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Drawing Salve.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the same thing happen on my hip once. Like how the hell did I get a zit on my hip?

Couple days later I couldn't walk- doc said if he didn't cut it out of me I'd go septic and die. Long story short, welcome to getting a hole in your leg packed with gauze OP. The good news is its going to be pretty badass when they squeeze it all out...if you're into that sort of thing.

Serious dude, ER now. You're where I was, and that stuff isn't to be played with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had the same thing happen on my hip once. Like how the hell did I get a zit on my hip?

Couple days later I couldn't walk- doc said if he didn't cut it out of me I'd go septic and die. Long story short, welcome to getting a hole in your leg packed with gauze OP. The good news is its going to be pretty badass when they squeeze it all out...if you're into that sort of thing.

Serious dude, ER now. You're where I was, and that stuff isn't to be played with.
View Quote

The fever should have been a big fucking clue.

My spider bite with cellulitis and bursitis (spider actually punctured my elbow joint sack) doc said your lucky you didn’t lose the arm from the shoulder down, or worse. If you waited another day before coming in that was a high possibility.

ER. Right fucking now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn you guys are getting soft. Page 2 and yet no mention of monkey pox.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Black widow I’m guessing. Sorry man.
View Quote

No.

Widow envenomation doesn't cause necrosis.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
1990. I had something similar on my knee from a scrape at work. It was treated with antibiotics, but came back stronger. Went back to the doctor. He sent me to the ER. I was admitted, put on iv antibiotics, and they packed a wick of some kind of treated fabric in around my knee joint. Hurt like hell when they pulled the wick out. I was in the hospital for 7 days.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MSRA infection.
View Quote

Which are frequently blamed on “spider bites”.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what was yours? Spider bite them abscess/cellulitis/MSRA/ etc?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a damn spider bite.  People and spiders, good grief.  Spiders aren't like getting a wasp or bee sting.  The spider can't just crawl up your leg and decide it is time to give you a nip either.  Spider bites happen on hands and lower arms and occur when a web is disturbed.  I have known people to get popped by a BW.  They were working in the yard and reached into a dark spot, not realizing that TOUGH web belongs to a BW.  The LADY then got bitten on the hand.  

It is an infected follicle that got MSRA.  Most likely because you inadvertently scratched it with a dirty fingernail.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not a damn spider bite.  People and spiders, good grief.  Spiders aren't like getting a wasp or bee sting.  The spider can't just crawl up your leg and decide it is time to give you a nip either.  Spider bites happen on hands and lower arms and occur when a web is disturbed.  I have known people to get popped by a BW.  They were working in the yard and reached into a dark spot, not realizing that TOUGH web belongs to a BW.  The LADY then got bitten on the hand.  

It is an infected follicle that got MSRA.  Most likely because you inadvertently scratched it with a dirty fingernail.
View Quote

Well...you're no fun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

@rattlecanar

So what does that mean as far as treatment goes
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Drawing Salve.
View Quote

Bread and milk poultice. It was good enough for us as kids.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the party, pal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@rattlecanar

So what does that mean as far as treatment goes
View Quote

See a doc and IV antibiotics.  

One of the other hunt guides I work with each year got the same thing on his stomach.  They kept him for a couple of days.  MRSA can expand and get you quick as you can see.

Go back to the ER, see another doc and show them the pictures and the timing.  A doc worth a shit will get all on that mess.  It can kill you QUICKLY.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like cellulitis and possibly MRSA. Not necessarily from a spider bite, it can occur from any break in the skin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Go back to the ER, see another doc and show them the pictures and the timing.  A doc worth a shit will get all on that mess.  I can kill you QUICKLY.
View Quote

Reported for threats......
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

See a doc and IV antibiotics.  

One of the other hunt guides I work with each year got the same thing on his stomach.  They kept him for a couple of days.  MRSA can expand and get you quick as you can see.

Go back to the ER, see another doc and show them the pictures and the timing.  A doc worth a shit will get all on that mess.  I can kill you QUICKLY.
View Quote

I had something like the OP’s wound on my left shoulder.

MRSA.

Literally overnight, it went from a small pimple like sore to the size of a grapefruit on my shoulder.

I was hospitalized for a week with IV antibiotics, and having it cut out of me.

The doc said I could put my thumb all the down the wound in my shoulder. She also said the ‘drainage was epic’.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well...you're no fun.
View Quote

Ant bites can cause it, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn you guys are getting soft. Page 2 and yet no mention of monkey pox.
View Quote

Especially in response to the guy with the taint bites!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Reported for threats......
View Quote

LOL

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Back in 2020 I had a spider bite ( you could initially see the two tiny teeth marks) that soon looked like that before a bunch of tissue died completely and left an open wound 2.25" long and wide and 3/4" deep.

Given that it happened at the height of the Covid lockdowns I wasn't able to get much in the way of medical attention for it beyond an antibiotics prescription.

Luckily for me it healed fast and surprisingly painlessly after the festering had subsided.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I am/was a nurse as well as a Brown Recluse bite survivor. Regardless if it’s a spider bite, a boil, a scratch that got infected... what you have there is definitely infected.  MRSA simply means it’s a resistant strain of bacteria. If it’s staph,it can progress rapidly leading to necrosis (tissue death) and sepsis (systemic infection).

The abscess will need to be drained and a C & S (culture/sensitivity) will need to be done to identify what strain of bacteria it is and what antibiotic to counter it. If they haven’t done this yet, the doctor is just making an educated guess as the the bacteria type and treating it with a broad spectrum antibiotic. You need to properly identify and target the specific bacteria because whatever they gave you isn’t working as it should. When I had my bite I had to have cephlex, rifampin and Levaquin to finally beat the infection. ‘I&D’ is irrigate and debride, basically draining the would, flushing it out and removing any dead tissue. If it’s substantial they might put in drain or pack the wound with sterile gauze. I ended up having a PICC line in my AC and having IV antibiotics three times a day until the infection was gone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or lower leg like the OP. Eitherway, that’s a serious infection that needs serious treatment RFN.

You don’t get what OP has from scratching a hair. That is a deep skin/tissue infection caused by puncture wound. Aka, a spider.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Razor blade and some rubbing alcohol.  Put a slice in that thing and squeeze that shit out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#35]
MRSA most likely.  Needs incision, drainage, culture, and wound packing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
3-1 odds OP loses his leg from sepsis infection.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
"Spider bite" is a popular culture term and almost never an actual bite or sting.

I helped drain hundreds of "spider bites" in the ER.

It's almost always just skin infection of MRSA or some other flavor of staph or strep.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
The mrsa spider strikes again
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#40]
His name was TWO_LABS

looks like a botfly is about to crawl out
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn OP, I feel bad for you. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but a buddy got bit by a recluse and it looked identical to yours.

Spiders sure as hell do climb inside clothes and bite. My buddy's an HVAC guy and was in a crawl space under a house. Felt it bite him on the inside of his knee under his jeans.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ok, I am/was a nurse as well as a Brown Recluse bite survivor. Regardless if it’s a spider bite, a boil, a scratch that got infected... what you have there is definitely infected.  MRSA simply means it’s a resistant strain of bacteria. If it’s staph,it can progress rapidly leading to necrosis (tissue death) and sepsis (systemic infection).

The abscess will need to be drained and a C & S (culture/sensitivity) will need to be done to identify what strain of bacteria it is and what antibiotic to counter it. If they haven’t done this yet, the doctor is just making an educated guess as the the bacteria type and treating it with a broad spectrum antibiotic. You need to properly identify and target the specific bacteria because whatever they gave you isn’t working as it should. When I had my bite I had to have cephlex, rifampin and Levaquin to finally beat the infection. ‘I&D’ is irrigate and debride, basically draining the would, flushing it out and removing any dead tissue. If it’s substantial they might put in drain or pack the wound with sterile gauze. I ended up having a PICC line in my AC and having IV antibiotics three times a day until the infection was gone.
View Quote

This, all of this.

TLDR: It doesn't matter what caused it at this point. Go to hospital. Open it up and clean it out. Take cultures. IV antibiotics to cover what they suspect, later narrowed to what cultures show kills it.

Good luck, OP
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Bull fucking shit. I told the doc it was a spider bite. My forearm was the size of a football. Cellulitis, bursitis, etc.

Doc was all “why do you think it’s a spider bite?”  

Because I saw two perfectly spaced puncture wounds in my elbow of same diameter 3 mm apart.

“Well that doesn’t mean a spider bite”

Well what fucking punctured my elbow bursa with two deep puncture wounds?

Ok doc. Can you treat my huge infected football arm that’s red and streaking with infected bursa before I fucking die or turn septic please?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, this same unexpected thing just happened (is happening) to me.

Infections will surprise you.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Update: getting admitted. Got 2 bags of iv antibiotics so far. Doc said he doesn’t feel a big abscess but will decide in the morning if he’s opening it up. Will be here until the culture comes back. Likely MRSA?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

OP, this same unexpected thing just happened (is happening) to me.

Infections will surprise you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20221015_224304519_jpg-2564375.JPG
View Quote

Reported…showing too much skin.  

Hope you and OP get better soon!  God Bless!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Update: getting admitted. Got 2 bags of iv antibiotics so far. Doc said he doesn’t feel a big abscess but will decide in the morning if he’s opening it up. Will be here until the culture comes back. Likely MRSA?
View Quote

Did the ED doc not take an ultrasound to it to look and see how much fluid is there?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good that you will be observed 24/7. I waited too long. Doctor scolded me for waiting so long. 7 days went by in the H.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad they are going to fix you up.  That is some serious shit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Alnen123

I’m not a shingles expert, but it must be exceedingly rare to have a *single* herpes-zoster vesicle from shingles.  Typically, it’s a whole string of them!

One of the things you learn in medicine is to, [gasp], listen to the patient.  I know, sounds crazy.
View Quote

I thought the approach/attitude was surprising. If I were a doc, I'd want to get the whole story from the patient. I think it was a case of already having it diagnosed before we even spoke, and the rest was confirmation bias.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top