Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a spider bite that turned into a MRSA. On my calf, it swelled up to where I could barely get my pants on. Every time I stood up the pain was intense for the first 2-3 minutes before I could start walking. Took over a month to clear up.

Attachment Attached File

Two weeks later

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@32ACP

Just found out the doc canceled the surgeon consult bc she said it’s improving enough and she thinks it can be dealt with with the IV meds.

View Quote

Hope you’re better.  If the skin died over the abscess & it’s draining, the $500 surgeon consultation won’t help much.  But, if it’s inadequately drained, it’ll be back….

If you have a family history of diabetes, or not, be sure to get assessed by your PCP, especially if your BMI is over 25.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Jesus, I said "usually" and I was giving examples, I'm fully aware of what irrigate and debride mean.  You knew exactly what I meant but took the opportunity to flex.  When we use the term I&D in the UC/ED setting it usually means incision and drainage relating to abscesses.  Funny you insult NP's when I've had to correct misdiagnoses (or see their shitty procedural skills) from ED physicians on multiple occasions.  Just last week I had an 11-year-old kid come in after an ED physician stapled a deep laceration on his left knee.  

The last two providers who were fired from my UC were physicians for negligence.  In fact, all of the providers who were fired in the 10 years I've been in the medical field were all physicians (4 total).  I have some NP/PA coworkers who I would trust with my life over some physicians.  That being said, I've also worked with some amazing physicians.

@TWO_LABS

Glad things are turning for the better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
‘I&D’ is irrigate and debride, basically draining the would, flushing it out and removing any dead tissue.

“Irrigate and debride” is a procedure usually for bone and joint infections.

Incision and drainage (I&D) is usually for abscesses. OP definitely has some cellulitis with what looks like an early formation of an abscess.

(Urgent care NP).

I would expect an NP to know irrigate means wash out, it isn’t exclusive to bone.  I irrigate after perforated bowel stuff, be it an appy, sigmoid colon, small bowel perf, all the time, no bones involved.  Not in my AO.

Debride means cut out dead tissue.  It can be bone, muscle, skin, fat, lung—it’s dead tissue that’s food to bacteria & releasing potassium & other once intracellular/contained crap into the patient & bacterial spooge, too.

Just a general surgeon for 30 years….but if this is what NPs are taught, no wonder ERs & urgent cares are messed up—poor education.

Jesus, I said "usually" and I was giving examples, I'm fully aware of what irrigate and debride mean.  You knew exactly what I meant but took the opportunity to flex.  When we use the term I&D in the UC/ED setting it usually means incision and drainage relating to abscesses.  Funny you insult NP's when I've had to correct misdiagnoses (or see their shitty procedural skills) from ED physicians on multiple occasions.  Just last week I had an 11-year-old kid come in after an ED physician stapled a deep laceration on his left knee.  

The last two providers who were fired from my UC were physicians for negligence.  In fact, all of the providers who were fired in the 10 years I've been in the medical field were all physicians (4 total).  I have some NP/PA coworkers who I would trust with my life over some physicians.  That being said, I've also worked with some amazing physicians.

@TWO_LABS

Glad things are turning for the better.

Since the last 50 cent sized skin abscess I dealt with last by an ER NP lead to a sepsis work up, CT of the chest, abd & pelvis to “rule out a fistula,” which was done without oral or IV contrast, then led to an interventional radiology consultation, set up for transfer until the CMO requested a local surgeon evaluate the patient—then they got the ER PA to I&D the abscess because i was in the OR….

Yea, i stand by my statement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

This is my Staph infection from 9/5/22.  Came close enough to killing me. Leg temp was 104.7 and my body temp was 102.1

8 ounces of pus drained from knee.  Still recovering six weeks later. Hope to go back to work in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a spider bite that turned into a MRSA. On my calf, it swelled up to where I could barely get my pants on. Every time I stood up the pain was intense for the first 2-3 minutes before I could start walking. Took over a month to clear up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226774/2_JPG-2566450.JPG

Two weeks later

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226774/3_JPG-2566451.JPG
View Quote

That looks similar (except it looks like I caught mine sooner) but that pain you described is exactly to a T
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That looks similar (except it looks like I caught mine sooner) but that pain you described is exactly to a T
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226774/2_JPG-2566450.JPG

Two weeks later

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226774/3_JPG-2566451.JPG

Yep.
The pounding when my leg was not elevated was strong.
OP, did you splain your issues and get some happy meds?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have learned a lot from this thread.  Thanks OP, and here's to an early recovery.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Tuesday morning update:

Just spoke with the Dr. She is very optimistic about my case.

She said she is just waiting to see what type of antibiotics kill my version of MSRA and that will depend on my treatment plan.

1. If it’s a common strand and an easy antibiotic to get (oral only) then she might send me home today.

2. If it’s a not so common strand and the antibiotics are more difficult to get then obviously I have to wait on those.

3. If it’s a strand that requires antibiotics that have some side effects she might keep me here to monitor me while I start those.

4. I still need IV meds so however long the picc line and getting all the logistics set up.

So long story short, I could be here 1-5 days but optimism seems to be the consensus. Appreciate all the good vibes as well as all the knowledge in this thread. I actually learned a lot from y’all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad to hear that OP!
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

So if I get the option to go home (tomorrow or Wednesday) with a picc line and iv meds with a home health nurse coming to my house) or stay in the hospital what should I do?

I mean of course the normal answer is I want to get out of this place but I don’t have a whole lot of trust right now in the docs and what to do what’s best for this crap. I’ve never dealt with it or know anyone who has so it’s all new to me and throw in the broken trust thing right now equals my anxiety high lol.
View Quote

Go home, less stress, more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
OP here:

Just got home boys. Thank you again for everyone who contributed to this thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP here:

Just got home boys. Thank you again for everyone who contributed to this thread.
View Quote

Good deal. Get some rest, and take care of that leg!
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP here:

View Quote

You’re not out of the woods. Watch your temperature. Take those antibiotics like clock work.

Not a doc. But the infection is in your blood.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP here:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Good news.

Also, cool to see that GD nailed the diagnosis and prognosis.

Godspeed OP
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP here:

View Quote

@TWO_LABS
I had an alergic reaction after taking Bactrim that did not show up until I had taken it for 4 days. That was a rough week in the hospital. They had no idea what it was. I was in isolation for 3 days. Incoherent, no memory from a Friday night to Tuesday afternoon.

ETA;The Bactrim worked on the infection. The infection started as a rose thorn puncture wound on my upper arm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP here:

View Quote

Hey, that's greta news!
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hey, that's greta news!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP here:

Hey, that's greta news!

Attachment Attached File

Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hey, that's greta news!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread makes me appreciate still being around to post.
I had the exact same thing on the lower left of my back that I assumed was a spider bite.
I lanced and then squeezed what seemed like a endless amount of thick white puss.  (Im very flexible)
The puss reminded me of silly string
A day or so later it was swelled up like a baseball and was red and extremely painful.  I was in my early 20s broke and uninsured.
  I did nothing and it eventually went away.  Knowing what I know now it just makes me cringe at my stupidity.  I don’t recall ever feeling sick.  
  I’m 99% sure it was a Hobo since we found a crushed one where I was sitting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP here:

View Quote

Missed this thread, glad you’re doing okay
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Pics of picc wick?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad you’re better.

“Strain,” not strand.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a nice big dent in my ass cheek from when I was on deployment in around 2008. Docs had drain it and had to take massive antibiotics.
I had to report to medical 2 X's a day for a few days then every day for a while to get my manpon changed until it healed enough to stop.
I joked when they were cutting it about having dual exhaust. Doc said he wouldn't joke about it that it was the deepest one he had ever seen. It was on my ass cheek tho.  Plenty of flesh
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top