Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad for WWII aircraft
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A Huey Cobra has a slender profile.  I was just notcing that when I looked at the shells of those death machines at a recent bone yard.

I want to say its in the neighborhood of 36"...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Drooling over the flying boats. Always wanted a late model Catalina.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you wonder what someone must have done to bend a relatively new bird:

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Huey Cobra has a slender profile.  I was just notcing that when I looked at the shells of those death machines at a recent bone yard.

I want to say its in the neighborhood of 36"...

Good luck trying to hit one head on, they were badass.  Cause they would mow you down if you saw it in that position.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I was up at the air and space museum last week, enjoying it with the 5 year old to give him a break from the 3 week old.

He had a blast, even if his legs ran outta steam halfway around the lot. (Thank god he is on the small/light side.)

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume this is not a place where  a guy could walk into buy a ticket and make a day out of seeing all the awesome stuff there.

Tours are available but not sure what the times and conditions are.
However, this place is a few minutes south of there and is well worth your time.

http://www.pimaair.org/

Awesome!  Thanks.

I'm due for a vacation and it would make my dads day to take a tour of either of those places.

Also, check this out as well.  It's half an hour or so south of there but again, well worth your time.
My father was commander of several different silos in the nine south and when he died we donated many items and pictures now on display there.
http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

Wow.  I figured they 'de-milled' or whatever the term is and sold all of those off like they did up in my neck of the woods.  Will definantly check that out if I get the chance to.  

Also much appreciation for your dad.  He had to be an awesome man to know. I know I couldn't do the job he did.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics from ym trip to Pima Air & Space Museum /AMARC:

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I assume this is not a place where  a guy could walk into buy a ticket and make a day out of seeing all the awesome stuff there.

The Pima Air Museum does tours by bus. When you get done at the boneyard, you can visit the museum and check out the SR-71 and all the other goodies they have on display. Awesome facility!
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a waste.  Too bad that stuff wasn't de-mil'ed and sold off [to civilians].

Could you imagine a few thousand former military jets being sold to civvies?

Depends on how you define "waste", IIRC it saves them a good amount using it as a spare part source either internally or sold off.

We get a lot of B-52 spares from AMARG. Most of the parts I work on haven't been produced for decades. Come to think of it nothing on the BUFF aside from hardware has been produced in decades.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I was there in 92 when the the B-52's were getting chopped up into scrap as part of the START talks.  I think Russian observers were there also to observe the GLCM's getting dismantled.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7028357739_5bb82f1510_c.jpg

That's a TE-2C, BuNo 164110 #660 formerly of the VAW-120 Grayhawks based at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.
VAW-120 is the Hawkeye RAG.

It's not bent, it's just worn out.

That plane was built as an E-2C.
At some point in time it was used for T&E to include mounting a refueling probe on top of the aircraft.
It was stripped of its mission gear, redesignated as aTE-2C and became the squadron pilot trainer hack.
It was reconfigured with the 8 bladed props and the T56-A-427A engine but not the other upgrades for the E-2D.
It was retired to DM in Oct of 2011.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I had to laugh at the legal illegal photograph.  I was TDY at DM for a couple of months, and we had to chase them out of the area all the time.  I don't ever remember seeing the Janet 737's, that was an interesting pic as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had to laugh at the legal illegal photograph.

Explain.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a ton of cool photos from DM from when I worked with the 355th SFS but some shirtbird stole my laptop when I was TDY in San Antonio.

What year(s) where you at DM?  Do you remember MSGT Browning?  I used to love doing post briefings for him, we swear he was narcoleptic, he would fall asleep about half-way through the briefing.  Good times where had both on and off base.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Grumman Albatross. One of my favorite prop planes.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to laugh at the legal illegal photograph.

Explain.

Back in the early 90's it was not uncommon for our Hispanic buddies to the south to mistake the graveyard fence for the U.S./Mexico border.  

DM also had alert birds (generally rotating ANG units) sitting and awaiting for launch authority in case the DEA Blackhawks took direct incoming fire.  What we had been told was one of the Cartel leaders put a reward out for anyone that was able to shoot down a DEA Blackhawk.  Not that the alert birds could get to them, it was all a dog and pony show, but it was great fun when the alert area pilots hit the perimeter alarm beams while exercising in their area and they got our attention in the form of a small team of bored SP's.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
mixed feelings seeing all those just sitting there
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The camaros old chase cars?

No.  Camaros were not used in the U-2 chase role until the late 1980s/early1990s.  The chase vehicles during the vintage of those Camaros were LS-6 454 El Caminos SS.

A boss of mine bought a chase car '70 El Camino SS at a DRMO auction back in 1980.  One mean vehicle in a straight line.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I have driven by that Tucson facilty a few times. It's on the hwy between PHX and TUC.

Never seen it upclose ... I have been around aviation all my life ( WPAFB - Navy attack squadron - Boeing Co etc ... )
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the post, OP!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4138/4753000878_014331a436.jpg

You probably like the Expendables movies, then?  I'm still trying to figure out how they put a ramp in that Albatross in Expendables 2...
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably like the Expendables movies, then?  I'm still trying to figure out how they put a ramp in that Albatross in Expendables 2...

It wasn't an Albatross.

It was a Canadair CL215
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215

A ramp? CGI would be my guess.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I might as well add my pics:

Pima Air Museum

Grumman J-4F Widgeon

Mig 21

Mig 17

Mig 17PF

Mig 15UT1

Mig 15 (with Korean Markings)

Shenyang J-6 (Chinese version of Mig 19)

General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark

McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom II

Douglas WB-66 Destroyer

Convair B-58A Hustler

Martin B-57E Canberra

Boeing B-52G Stratofortress

Boeing B-52G Stratofortress (Nose Art Closeup)

Boeing B-52D Stratofortress (Nose Art Closeup)

Boeing NB-52A Stratofortress, used in the X-15 Rocket Aircraft program

Boeing NB-52A Stratofortress, used in the X-15 Rocket Aircraft program (close up of X-15 launch pylon)

North American FJ-4B Fury

North American F-86L Sabre

Northrop F-89J Scorpion

Lockheed F-94C Starfire

Douglas TF-10B Skyknight

Boeing EB-47E Stratojet

Boeing EB-47E Stratojet (Nose Art Closeup)

Boeing EC-135J Stratotanker

Boeing KB-50J Superfortress

Boeing KC-97G Stratofreighter

Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star

Grumman E-1B Tracer

Douglas EA-1F Skyraider

Fairey AEW-3 Gannet

Fairchild C-82A Packet

Fairchild C-119C Boxcar

Dassault-Breguet/Dornier Alpha Jet

Lockheed T-33B Shooting Star

British Aerospace AV-8C Harrier II

McDonnell Douglas YF-4J Phantom II

Grumman F-11F Tiger

McDonnell F3H-2 Demon

Vought DF-8A Crusader

Douglas F-6A Skyray

Grumman TAF-9J Cougar

Martin B-26K Invader

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

AMARG / The Boneyard

If you go on the boneyard tour sit on the left side of the bus for the best view of helicopters and fighters or on the right side for the best view of

bombers and cargo/transport planes.

My camera battery died 3/4 of the way through the tour so I got pictures of all the complete planes but missed getting pictures of the planes that are partially disassembled.

Lots of F-16s

Lots of F-16s

Lots of F-16s

Wings and Engines Removed From Aircraft

Wings From A-10s, currently being rebuilt to enable A-10s to operate for an

extra 10 years

Cruise missile pylons removed from B-52s

Grumman OV-1 Mohawk

Grumann S-2 Tracker

Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King

Kaman SH-2 Seasprite

Sikorsky MH-53E Sea Dragon

Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight

Bell UH-1 Iroquois ("Huey")

Bell AH-1J Sea Cobra

Bell AH-1S Huey Cobra

Lockheed ES-3A Shadow

Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

Grumman A-6 Intruder

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

Douglas A-3 Skywarrior

Vought A-7 Corsair II

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle

North American F-100 Super

Saber

Beechcraft UC-12B Huron

McDonnell F-101 Voodoo

Convair F-106 Delta Dart

Vought F-8 Crusader

Lockheed Martin F-16A Fighting Falcon

Martin B-57 Canberra

Martin WB-57 Canberra (

modified for high altitude atmospheric sampling in support of nuclear weapon testing)

General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark

Fairchild-Republic A-10

Thunderbolt II

Lockheed P-3 Orion

Lockheed P-2 Neptune

General Dynamics F-111E Aardvark and

EF-111A Raven

Grumman F-14 Tomcat

Rockwell B-1B Lancer

Grumman TC-4C Adademe

Douglas TA-4J Skyhawk

Lockheed D-21 Reconnaissance Drone

Lots of F-4 Phantoms

Lots of F-4 Phantoms

Helicopters

Helicopters

Lots of F-4 Phantoms

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool Pic's, been looking at a lot those planes for most of my life. Grew up near there. In the early 70's my friends and I rode our dirt bikes around the south side of the base where all the old scrap companies were. No fences then and we used to climb around in the old planes and helicopters. It was pretty neat. the Pima Air Museum is great and the bus tour through the base is good too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a TE-2C, BuNo 164110 #660 formerly of the VAW-120 Grayhawks based at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.

At some point in time it was used for T&E to include mounting a refueling probe on top of the aircraft.
It was stripped of its mission gear, redesignated as aTE-2C and became the squadron pilot trainer hack.
It was reconfigured with the 8 bladed props and the T56-A-427A engine but not the other upgrades for the E-2D.

There're a few sad Hawkeye carcasses out behind my brother's shop in Norfolk along with a couple Harrier hulks.I'd love to have one but my neighbors had a big enough shitfit about my Cessna lawn ornament

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, that's sad.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Taggified!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn, that's sad.

Y'know - most of its just rotting away.

Imagine if there were a program to sell just 10% of it - even limiting it to the prop planes or trainers - to the U.S. civilian market?   There are civilians who fly jets in the U.S. though they can't get many planes (I think Worf from Star Trek got his hands on a F86 Sabre).  Something like a CMP/DCM for old planes.

Think of the money that .gov coule recoupe - not to mention the $$ put into the industry to support surplused .mil airplanes?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Always wanted to visit when I lived in Tucson. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I think there are several repeats in that long scroll of photos.  Also, I noticed there were few if any century series U.S.fighters (F104s etc.)  Have those all gone thru the grinder already?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Actually,AMARC isn't wasteful at all.It regenerates and saves a bunch of $.Yeah,it's sad to see all those old planes but we can't operate only on being sentimental.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 8-bladers were what caught my eye.  They haven't been doing that mod for that long, and I'm surprised they'd do it to an A/C that was even close to being sent to DM.

I guess I'm surprised they did that to a worn-out bird.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, that's sad.

Imagine if there were a program to sell just 10% of it - even limiting it to the prop planes or trainers - to the U.S. civilian market?   There are civilians who fly jets in the U.S. though they can't get many planes (I think Worf from Star Trek got his hands on a F86 Sabre).  Something like a CMP/DCM for old planes.

Think of the money that .gov coule recoupe - not to mention the $$ put into the industry to support surplused .mil airplanes?

The death knell of the .gov selling retired .mil aircraft to civilians was the Farrell's crash in Sacramento in 1972.
Killed 22 people because retarded fucks built a shopping center across the fucking street from the departure end of a fucking runway.
22 people dead.

That and the pilot had more money than brains and should have never been operating any aircraft, let along a jet aircraft.
He killed himself and another person a couple years later while flying a P-51.

Google up Farrell's F-86 crash Sacramento.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think there are several repeats in that long scroll of photos.  Also, I noticed there were few if any century series U.S.fighters (F104s etc.)  Have those all gone thru the grinder already?

The photos are from different people so there's bound to be similar photos.
That and most were taken from the bus tour, so there's only so many ways to shoot the aircraft.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, that's sad.

You can thank Bill fucking Clinton for that one.

IIRC he decided that US Citizens cannot be trusted with ex-AF jets.

But its OK to import MiG's - if you can find one.

WTF ?

Our .gov has to stop helping us

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 8-bladers were what caught my eye.  They haven't been doing that mod for that long, and I'm surprised they'd do it to an A/C that was even close to being sent to DM.
I guess I'm surprised they did that to a worn-out bird.

I am sure that the plane could be sent through a SDLM (Standard Depot Level Maintenance) cycle, but that's going to cost a fuck-ton of money to bring it up to E-2C standards and then to modify it to E-2D standards, not to mention to fix all of the normal shit that's broken when an aircraft does not receive regular Depot level maintenance.
The actual engine and prop mod does not cost that much money (in the grand scheme of things).
It was used for pilot training, that saved the wear and tear on mission birds while it was in service.
Who knows, at some point it could be reclaimed, reworked, upgraded and sent back to the fleet, but I doubt it since they Navy bought 75 new build E-2D's.

As an example, the Navy sent a low flight hour (but high landing and take-off numbers) C-130 to the boneyard and from there it went on to be a static display.
All it needed was SDLM and the replacement of some bleed air parts and it would have been good to go.
No one wanted to spring the money to rework it.
It was offered up to other .gov agencies and for foreign sales, no takers.
That's the story with a lot of planes out in the boneyard.
At a certain point it's not worth the money to rework them.

One thing the military does not do is build actual trainers for most of the birds out there.
For example, the Navy bought 16 E-6A's
They were going to buy 2 stripped down (non-mission capable) trainers, but the cost was prohibitive.

The Navy used old 707's as dedicated trainers, they used USAF 707's and now they use 737's as trainers.
In between those birds the Navy has to use their mission birds for training flights.
While every training flight is a good flight, that's one less flight (take-off and landing cycles and airframe/engine time) that can't be used for actual missions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
RIP.
How many of those Eagles, Falcons, Hornets and Thunderbolts that are "in storage" will ever see the skies again? What a waste. I understand the Tomcats and Phantoms being past their day and retired, but these are still top of the line aircraft that are just wasting away... sad to see.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Makes me sad....I would give anything to crawl around in some of the aircraft I had pictures on my walls as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Good pics.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
RIP.
How many of those Eagles, Falcons, Hornets and Thunderbolts that are "in storage" will ever see the skies again? What a waste. I understand the Tomcats and Phantoms being past their day and retired, but these are still top of the line aircraft that are just wasting away... sad to see.

I can tell you that most of those F-18's are F-18A's and B's and are complete worn out piles of crap.
All of them need their center barrel replaced (main fuselage structure), that costs $2 million each for that alone.
Then add in the cost of SDLM and then fixing everything that wrong with them and, depending on when they were retired, upgrading them to F-18A+ standards it's not worth it, especially when there are new Superhornets rolling off the assembly line and the F-35 program is ramping up.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#42]
that is a bigger airforce in mothballs than the rest of the world has active combined i am sure.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Interesting picture of the B-2 construction jig. You'd think they'd have that locked up in a warehouse somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Two pictures of C-141A's.

Too bad they were actually B's.

No biggie...it's sad to see them there at all.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks again for another cool thread and the link.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't an Albatross.
It was a Canadair CL215

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215
A ramp? CGI would be my guess.  
http://www.balakchiev.com/files/media/files/ad52f42c443f1aff47428b9eabe5f21b/Ognyanovo_05.jpg

Nevermind, you're talking about the plane in expendables...

I'll get me coat.

m

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]
wow, thats just a couple of pics....
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome pics.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top