BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm confused.. Thread title says "all" Walmarts, story talks about 2 stores....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/Screenshot_20230302_005637_Maps-2730646.jpg
View Quote

That is about a 90 mile stretch of I-5.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Reap what you sow.

Walmart & the shit-bag liberals that run it & live there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
4 million for falsely accusing someone of shoplifting. That's crazy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Untenable shoplifting/theft issues?

Perhaps this 2022 lawsuit judgement against a Portland area Walmart is related?
4.4 million dollar payout
https://theportlandmedium.com/local-news/walmart-ordered-to-pay-black-man-millions-for-theft-allegations/
4 million for falsely accusing someone of shoplifting. That's crazy

I avoid Portland as much as possible. As a normal person your greatest risk is getting jacked by the legal system. My worst fear is that someday I would have to defend myself or my wife in Portland. I would be in prison no matter the situation. And if I am attacked, the perp would most definitely walk. We are moving out of state this year. Even living in a suburb the risks from this double standard police/legal situation is intolerable. Thank God our adult kids moved their families out already.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
More like the locals rob it into nonprofit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the real reason for the closings?
View Quote

I would bet on theft.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Liberalism, I mean communism at it's finest.  Coming soon to a place near you!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Well that should hit them hard and they deserve it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the start of retails retreat from high crime areas.

Once losses hit a certain percentage at a city store Walmart, CVS, Target, etc,etc will close those "under performing" stores.

Then as expected the next group of stores further out will start to "under perform" and will be closed.

Eventually you will shop like Service Merchandise or online.

View Quote

The Service Merchandise model would work well now that everyone has a shopping app device in their pocket.

You can usually tell how bad a neighborhood is by the number of products a Walmart has under lock. If they have a bunch of $5 items in a locked glass case... yup.

Service Merchandise had the whole store completely locked up from the start. Nothing was walking out the door without payment.

Eta: Maybe it was a later adaptation to put everything behind glass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Service Merchandise model would work well now that everyone has a shopping app device in their pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once losses hit a certain percentage at a city store Walmart, CVS, Target, etc,etc will close those "under performing" stores.

Then as expected the next group of stores further out will start to "under perform" and will be closed.

Can I still buy a Glenfield Model 60 for $60?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don’t get out much do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been at one of those Walmart locations. All of the shopping carts are geofenced. Take one a certain distance outside of the store parking lot and a brake/boot is activated preventing the wheels from turning. Never seen anything like it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't old enough to buy, so I'd just stand in front of the case and drool.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not just him.  I’ve never heard of it either. Not even in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably all the bread people were stealing to survive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
That's racist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the real reason for the closings?
View Quote

Rarely go into Portland. I was in a Home Depot near PDX a few weeks ago. They had a full time armed security guard that was fully kitted out.
Parking lot was littered with homeless.
I would think that theft is a huge reason they are closing up. That and vandalism.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
DC Walmart to close the end of March

Couple of blocks from the train/bus station....
View Quote

I worked for a couple months in a building a block from that bus station.  The armed guard refused to stay after 5pm because it was too dangerous. He would walk with us to the parking lot and asked us to wait until he chained the gate before we all left at the same time.  I can’t imagine any store - even Walmart - staying open near there.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't worry, there is all the free food you need Conmrad.

https://uploads.dailydot.com/2020/06/IntelDotWav.png?auto=compress&fm=png
View Quote

I see they laid out reading material for when you are making fresh “fertilizer” deposits after a morning coffee.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.

Hayden Island is on the north edge of Portland, just before crossing the Columbia River into Washington. Mostly industrial area with a lot of freight terminals, semi truck service and parts shops, truck stop, etc.  Massive homeless camps especially around the I-5 ramps.

Across I-5 is the Expo Center where the gun shows are held. Up the freeway a half mile is the Delta Park malls and restaurants. The Lowes there is where a parking lot security guard shot and killed a homeless guy over nothing. Everyone knows the homeless are a protected class in Portland. He was an idiot confronting him and even more retarded shooting him in his car. But that is the NICER part of the area!

I imagine theft, poop around the building, trashed restrooms, scaring off normal customers. Who in their right mind would shop there? I drove truck around the industrial areas and there are some really really bad homeless areas. Hayden is one.

Just for reference, Martin Luther King Blvd runs through east side downtown up to where it intersects I-5 at Harden Island. Whole area has epic homeless camps with tents, tarps, burned out cars, decrepit RVs, campfires,etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad live on Hayden island until last year.  The Walmart he went to was in delta Park(I think). Complete freak show.  I used to work at fisherman's marine and supply in high school the place has gone seriously down hill it's hard to comprehend.

I've been to the WM on NE Hayden Pkwy/Delta Park numerous times - it's the closet OR Walmart (no sales tax) to my parents house in Vancouver WA.  That WM is a shit hole and the area around it is full on homeless encampment.

Yep.

Hayden Island is on the north edge of Portland, just before crossing the Columbia River into Washington. Mostly industrial area with a lot of freight terminals, semi truck service and parts shops, truck stop, etc.  Massive homeless camps especially around the I-5 ramps.

Across I-5 is the Expo Center where the gun shows are held. Up the freeway a half mile is the Delta Park malls and restaurants. The Lowes there is where a parking lot security guard shot and killed a homeless guy over nothing. Everyone knows the homeless are a protected class in Portland. He was an idiot confronting him and even more retarded shooting him in his car. But that is the NICER part of the area!

I imagine theft, poop around the building, trashed restrooms, scaring off normal customers. Who in their right mind would shop there? I drove truck around the industrial areas and there are some really really bad homeless areas. Hayden is one.

Just for reference, Martin Luther King Blvd runs through east side downtown up to where it intersects I-5 at Harden Island. Whole area has epic homeless camps with tents, tarps, burned out cars, decrepit RVs, campfires,etc.

MLK was horrible back when it was called Union Ave. Can't imagine it now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#20]
We all know what the problem is. If I were illiterate, poor, had no job skills, inherently violent, racist, without hope, easily mislead, unable to use logic and had no self control I'd be inclined to lead a feral lifestyle as well. WM has no choice. They're no different that the average citizen "crossing the street" rather than risk an interaction with a violent criminal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Comments are comedy gold.

All Portland Walmart stores to permanently close

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Good.

I hope it hurts really bad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Good.  No waltown for you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Walmarts rarely close.  Talked to a manager about one in a suburb that was in/near an indoor mall that is also now closed.  He mentioned it got to the point local folks were reducing inventory/claiming reparations by throwing lawn mowers over the fence after hours in the garden section.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Feels like the same thing that happened to K-mart, that slow decline. Amazon has really changed the game for retail. I never thought we could shop the way we do now. In my area 2 day delivery and in most cases same day or following morning. $7 senior prime membership. It’s no surprise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Everyone saying “good”…remember these POS low class
crazy people will have to push out to other areas to shop lift. I don’t blame Walmart but once they trash Portland to the point of no return they will be forced to head to other areas to survive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never heard of geofenced shopping carts, much less seen one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been at one of those Walmart locations. All of the shopping carts are geofenced. Take one a certain distance outside of the store parking lot and a brake/boot is activated preventing the wheels from turning. Never seen anything like it.

You don't get out much do you?
I've never heard of geofenced shopping carts, much less seen one.

Same here. Guess I "don't get out much" either, because it's strange to me the type of shithole behavior some people have accepted as being normal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All = 2?

Hell, Plano has more than 2 Walmarts.
View Quote

Most people in Plano have cars.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Guess congress will have to open an investigation on this like the baby food factory that closed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

most "normal" stores dont have it as certain areas have nice, respuctful folks living there.
They return the carts, and  DONT steal from WM (or ny other store)
then there are these othere areas....carts found miles away, massive theft, fights, drugs.... but i cant place it....
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh you have them. Is is a small add on part to the carts wheel. Unless you know what you are looking at you wouldn’t see it.

Link
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It probably doesn't help the Walmart on the South side that is directly next door to the only Costco in South Portland, guessing most people pick Costco for most things.
View Quote

I actually drive past costco to go to walmart. We just got a costco membership and its not like shopping at a grocery store. Great for certain thing but they just dont have lots of things.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been at one of those Walmart locations. All of the shopping carts are geofenced. Take one a certain distance outside of the store parking lot and a brake/boot is activated preventing the wheels from turning. Never seen anything like it.

You know there are large swaths of the US that aren't shit holes and some of us choose to live away from the shit holes on purpose?   I have lived all over VA and I have never seen that in my life and VA had it's fair share of shit holes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#36]
We wuz kangz?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are these actually central Portland or way far out from downtown?

Reason I ask is that I've been up and down the West Coast traveling and have never seen a Walmart in the major cities. They're always on the outskirts and never in the downtown areas.

Same deal with shops like Bass Pro and Cabelas. Always way out in the sticks.

View Quote

TN bass pro shops are mainly in town. Memphis, Nashville. There’s one in Kodak TN that is more rural if not for the interstate and giant exit next to it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#38]
excellent.

fuckin' portland.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#39]
What's the real reason these stores are no longer profitable?

If you can't say it out loud it's OK. We know the reason.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not good for the people in the suburbs.  The trash will be shopping in the neighborhoods now.
View Quote
That's what happened where I live.

Just wait until the normal people start shopping elsewhere and start moving.  Those "nice" areas will start to look like the wrecked areas.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Happening in shit neighborhoods in Milwaukee and they are complaining about food deserts. Accountability?
View Quote
They cried here in Pittsburgh too.  What they did was gentrify the hood (in some areas) and pushed residents out with higher rents and closed government housing.  Crime went up in the burbs.  In one city neighborhood 5% of the population was displaced and the crime rate dropped by over half.

Someone else's problem now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Where will the people of Portland get their Chinese rubber dog shit now?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Clearly another business impacted by global warming and internal combustion engines.

So we need more stupid gun control laws and reparations.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's what happened where I live.

Just wait until the normal people start shopping elsewhere and start moving.  Those "nice" areas will start to look like the wrecked areas.
View Quote
elections have consequences, brosef.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#45]
r/walmart
HIGHEST SHRINK STORE IN THE COMPANY

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Live next to orcs, you're gonna have burglaries.  Maybe have some elves move in?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shopped at a grocery store in San Diego that had carts like that. I parked out toward the back of the lot.  I was not happy when the wheel locked up, still in store property, and I hadn’t reached my car yet.  That was my introduction to those infernal contraptions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Till you build a wall around the liberal cesspits and prevent the pieces of shit from moving and destroying the next place....this is all meaningless....

that being said...fuck liberals LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not good for the people in the suburbs.  The trash will be shopping in the neighborhoods now.
View Quote

This, it just pushes the trolls out into surrounding areas.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This, it just pushes the trolls out into surrounding areas.  
View Quote

You'd think that; but living next to Dallas, I can say if the surrounding areas don't play by Portland/Dallas rules, they learn pretty quick to avoid those areas.  Because there are consequences for being a shithead in the surrounding areas.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top