Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/30/2022 10:16:46 AM EDT
Just watched it last night. Wow, one of the greatest and most horrifying war movies I've ever seen. Easily the best depiction of WW1.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad its on Netflix. I would have liked to have watched it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I found it long and boring. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
3rd world problems.  I'm watching it later today.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Great movie. Watched it the other night.

Being a German speaker another interesting thing about the movie was how many of the soldiers had different dialects giving the watcher a insight on their background.
I am going to purchase it for my collection.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not supporting companies like Netflix is an act to prevent third world problems.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not supporting companies like Netflix is an act to prevent third world problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll show'em. I bet their stock tanks next week and they go under
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Watching it now. Pretty brutal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh man!  The dying French soldier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
First time I have watched it

the weird synth tone and drumbeat are really annoying!

Otherwise pretty good so far
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I fell asleep watching it last night. Gonna finish it today. Didn't seem bad though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This....I kept expecting Godzilla to appear
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Watching it now.  36 minutes into it.  Had to pause for my son to take a dump.

I like it so far.  A lot.  Very well made.  Very realistic and believeable, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I found it weak, it might be ok standing on its own as some random war film.

But I am comparing to the original All Quiet On The Western Front.
That was the film from the book that Nazi Germany banned and IIRC tried to keep from being released.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That'll show'em. I bet their stock tanks next week and they go under
View Quote

Not with that attitude, they won't. ??

Their stock is down ~50% over the last year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Can someone give me some context? Were these kids from an ROTC highschool or was this a last ditch draft?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was good.  Totally brutal. That shovel attack, holy shit, I kind of want a WW1 trench shovel now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
There’s a scene about a 1/3 of the way in when they’re clearing trenches. Guy shoots a French soldier with the bolt open on his G98.

All in all. Good flick.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Watching tonight.

Fuck killer clowns and demons. This is a scary Halloween movie to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can someone give me some context? Were these kids from an ROTC highschool or was this a last ditch draft?
View Quote
IIRC, they were volunteers who signed up to be part of some grand adventure. They didn't get to Paris in just a few weeks.... It has been a long time since I read the book. The movie doesn't show much about who they were before they signed up, but they didn't seem all that bummed out about going.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
IIRC, they were volunteers who signed up to be part of some grand adventure. They didn't get to Paris in just a few weeks.... It has been a long time since I read the book. The movie doesn't show much about who they were before they signed up, but they didn't seem all that bummed out about going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We will be in Paris by Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Just started it.

Wow, that's quiet the cold open.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there’s never been such a singular place where men went to die.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I watched the first 45 min of it or so on Netflix this afternoon, before I got stopped and had to take care of a few things around the house.  It may have just been my settings, but it was overdubbed in English and the speakers had British accents.  I would've much rather had it been in (what I assume was the original) German with subtitles.  

I'll have to finish tomorrow or some other time when I have time to.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s dark and gritty. That’s for sure.

WW1 was so fucked up. From the reasons for it and it’s implementation. Awful, just awful
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I initially felt the same way. Then I felt it was added to show that we are not so far removed from these men.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it is fantastic from the standpoint of a war movie.

It has been decades since I've read the book, so I cannot comment on how well it may have represented the original story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I initially felt the same way. Then I felt it was added to show that we are not so far removed from these men.
View Quote

My paternal grandfather and great uncle both served in France with the AEF. As world events are showing, we are no different at all. Nothing has really changed except the weapons.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#32]
It was very good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet that goose was the best tasting thing those men had ever eaten.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I still can't help but wonder.   Of the million's dead how many brilliant minds could have perhaps cured cancer, created something great for the world but instead were snuffed out in a muddy trench for no real reason.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Tried to watch just a couple minutes before bed last night and instead was up until 3. Oops. Good movie, being named after but not totally accurate to the book hurts it a bit, and I think the final third story kinda fell off. But did an excellent job communicating the overall futility and stupidity of the mess.

Battle scenes were well done but the laundry scene was right in the feels and hard to top for the rest of the movie.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there’s never been such a singular place where men went to die.
View Quote

20th century mechanized war. the technology got ahead of the generals. glimmers were shown in the american civil war (trains used logistics, telegraph for como, rifled canon and guns, steam powered iron clad ships). between the machine guns and the artillery neither side could figure out how to move forward. so they sent men over the top to be chopped to pieces with belt feds, artillery and gas. the cemeteries and the battlefields are beyond description. its simply hard to fathom the number of people killed on some battlefields. there is one building built like a giant cross that sits on top of hundreds of thousands of bones were dug up and re-buried under the thing and you can see the bone stacks thru tiny windows on the side.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m working my way through it. Young kids do t make for much movie watching, at least in one sitting.

Great movie and the ominous background music fits the physical environment of trench warfare. The scene with the tanks emerging was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m working my way through it. Young kids do t make for much movie watching, at least in one sitting.

Great movie and the ominous background music fits the physical environment of trench warfare. The scene with the tanks emerging was awesome.
View Quote
It really was.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It really was.
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really was.
Click To View Spoiler

Tactics and techniques  are paid for in blood.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]
In the process of watching it now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
That French soldier in the crater.  Horrible.

Probably the most realistic stabbing death in cinema though, since most of them are "stab, he's dead with no noise at all".
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought it sucked. The second version with John boy was much better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I watched the first 45 min of it or so on Netflix this afternoon, before I got stopped and had to take care of a few things around the house.  It may have just been my settings, but it was overdubbed in English and the speakers had British accents.  I would've much rather had it been in (what I assume was the original) German with subtitles.  

I'll have to finish tomorrow or some other time when I have time to.
View Quote
You know you can change the settings for that.  

Initially I watched it that way--I guess it defaults to it in N.A.--but I told my wife "change it, it's dubbed!". . so she did. . much better with subtitles. .
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#44]
So far I'm really liking the start contrast the movie shows between the men on the front lines, and their leadership.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I found it long and boring. YMMV.
View Quote
A lot of war is long and boring.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn good movie.

I'm surprised there wasn't a full on revolt right there at the end.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I started to watch it, but it seems mighty depressing.   I researched the plot (never read the book) and decided the whole story wasn't something I wanted to watch.   War is hell.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I started to watch it, but it seems mighty depressing.   I researched the plot (never read the book) and decided the whole story wasn't something I wanted to watch.   War is hell.
View Quote
WW1 is mighty depressing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I liked it a lot. The tanks and flamethrowers were hardcore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I watched an hour and 45 min the war had ended.
That music was weird it reminds me of the Tom Cruise movie war or the worlds.
Would of been better with actual time period music.
Inky dinky parley vue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top