BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Extrabonez
If you wanna have your wife talk to mine, PM me.

In the past month, mine has gone from the to joining us in demonstrating against bloomturd at his own rally, picking out her own uppers for me to build, signing up for the warfighter challenge in Montana, hiking with the NBB crew (at Manassas, as her first), and now, apparently, Cola Warrior.  (she's from MA too).

She's found it enlightening and empowering.  More women need to join our ranks.  It sends a fantastic message, results in great optics, and it really just empowers the ladies and lets them know that what they're thinking/ feeling is normal and accepted.  Ask her to just try it.  She'll love it.

Again, PM me if you want her to have a 1:1 with my wife.
View Quote
Does she have a sister?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
so what happens when you only have 2 hikers? I hiked 6.2 miles today with a 63 pound pack with Extrabonez in 1 hour 46 minutes , I believe our average was 17 minute miles.
View Quote
Sounds like a good hike. IMHO don't get hung up on ratings, the point it to get out and exercise your body and rights. It takes 3 hikes for a 3rd class rating, if your in it for the right reasons you'll get a lot more than the minimum number of hikes. Focus on fitness and spreading the word.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does she have a sister?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Extrabonez

In the past month, mine has gone from the to joining us in demonstrating against bloomturd at his own rally, picking out her own uppers for me to build, signing up for the warfighter challenge in Montana, hiking with the NBB crew (at Manassas, as her first), and now, apparently, Cola Warrior.  (she's from MA too).

She's found it enlightening and empowering.  More women need to join our ranks.  It sends a fantastic message, results in great optics, and it really just empowers the ladies and lets them know that what they're thinking/ feeling is normal and accepted.  Ask her to just try it.  She'll love it.

Does she have a sister?
My wife has a single brother if you're into that kinda thing...he like snowmobiles, rodeo, and HAM radio...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Extrabonez

View Quote
That's the point I was trying to make when I (mistakenly referred to @planejane as "matronly" [bd) in the battlelines thread about women being a positive force. Women have a moderating force on men, and improve our lives. When you can get a woman to participate in an event like a Bloomfurher protest or 1-20-20, it can have the effect of keeping it from getting out of hand.

Plus they are as much as our partner as we are theirs and when that happens, it's an amazing thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My wife has a single brother if you're into that kinda thing...he like snowmobiles, rodeo, and HAM radio...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
If he's a younger fellow, I may be able to hook him up with a nice young lady in June.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does she have a sister?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Extrabonez

Does she have a sister?
Yes, but they're nothing alike.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If he's a younger fellow, I may be able to hook him up with a nice young lady in June.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35? 36? Not old.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's the point I was trying to make when I (mistakenly referred to @planejane as "matronly" [bd) in the battlelines thread about women being a positive force. Women have a moderating force on men, and improve our lives. When you can get a woman to participate in an event like a Bloomfurher protest or 1-20-20, it can have the effect of keeping it from getting out of hand.

Plus they are as much as our partner as we are theirs and when that happens, it's an amazing thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Extrabonez

Exactly right.  I, for one, have only increased my leverage by involving my wife.  It's no longer secretive, or "a guy thing".  She's now very much involved, enjoying it, understanding (not just from the periphery, but wholly of, why, and with whom) of what I'm doing and wholly supporting of our mission.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The optics of having women involved is definitely a good thing. If you have a group of all military aged males hiking with long guns, people immediately think militia or crazy guys, but if you have women and children doing it too, I think it makes it a much more friendly group in the public eye.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

35? 36? Not old.
View Quote
The young lady I'm thinking about is in her Sophomore year in college in Billings, so maybe a bit too young.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The optics of having women involved is definitely a good thing. If you have a group of all military aged males hiking with long guns, people immediately think militia or crazy guys, but if you have women and children doing it too, I think it makes it a much more friendly group in the public eye.
View Quote
While I am loathe to use the word "propaganda" it is the best of propaganda (or optics) to include women with us on these events to show that they are on board with us in this fight.

It's their inalienable rights as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While I am loathe to use the word "propaganda" it is the best of propaganda (or optics) to include women with us on these events to show that they are on board with us in this fight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  And I'll add - don't piss off mama bear.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is not just a poetic line of words or a warning.  It's a fucking promise.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Clarification on this:
Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles
View Quote
The way I read it, a 4 mile hike with 35 lbs dry pack and rifle would count towards the 18, just that at least two hikes have to be 6+? So one could do 2x6 mi and 2x4mi (20 cumulative) for this requirement?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Extrabonez

I read this again this morning, the bolded parts are very true and cannot be overstated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
We'll have three ladies along for our hike here in IL today, at least two of them are taking a shot at the full 45lbs.

I will have to remember to get more pics (and permission to post) today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Clarification on this:
The way I read it, a 4 mile hike with 35 lbs dry pack and rifle would count towards the 18, just that at least two hikes have to be 6+? So one could do 2x6 mi and 2x4mi (20 cumulative) for this requirement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Clarification on this:
Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles
I asked Ben this before, and IIRC your interpretation is correct.  FLBB members have been traveling around the state to get a number of 3+ milers under their belt to knock out Provisional and those additional 6 miles before knocking out their 6-milers for 3rd class.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Clarification on this:

View Quote
Correct. All hikes must be over 3 miles to count. All 3+ mile hikes count towards milage provided the weight and gear rules are followed- you need at least two hikes of at least 6 miles distance.

Ideally, though few have done this, this enables you to do a 3 mile, 6 mile, then 9 mile hike. Bringing you to 18 and leaving you prepared for greater distances and challenges.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Correct. All hikes must be over 3 miles to count. All 3+ mile hikes count towards milage provided the weight and gear rules are followed- you need at least two hikes of at least 6 miles distance.

Ideally, though few have done this, this enables you to dona 3 mile, 6 mile, then 9 mile hike. Bringing you to 18 and leaving you prepared for greater distances and challenges.
View Quote
Ya know, the hiking part was the one thing I really prepped for a few weeks in advance for the Utah APC hike, but in reality if you are even mildly active and relatively in shape a 3 MPH pace isn't that difficult with a loaded pack. Especially considering you can pick the terrain to hike, on relatively flat ground it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ya know, the hiking part was the one thing I really prepped for a few weeks in advance for the Utah APC hike, but in reality if you are even mildly active and relatively in shape a 3 MPH pace isn't that difficult with a loaded pack. Especially considering you can pick the terrain to hike, on relatively flat ground it shouldn't be an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideally, though few have done this, this enables you to dona 3 mile, 6 mile, then 9 mile hike. Bringing you to 18 and leaving you prepared for greater distances and challenges.
It isn't a standard meant to be particularly difficult, but rather to demonstrate to yourself and others that you aren't a liability during a foot movement.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The young lady I'm thinking about is in her Sophomore year in college in Billings, so maybe a bit too young.
View Quote
Even better lol
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We'll have three ladies along for our hike here in IL today, at least two of them are taking a shot at the full 45lbs.

I will have to remember to get more pics (and permission to post) today.
View Quote
Yut!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yut!!
View Quote
Another 6 miler for the IL crew, including two women who both hauled 45lbs. for the whole thing. Better report and more pics after I shower. But for now, the end of excuses for any healthy adult male-

5'8", all of 110lbs and she pushed through like a boss-
Attachment Attached File

A brief and ultimately failed experiment in relocating the load-
Attachment Attached File

That's my kid.

Props to Mrs. TheRadBaron, who also completed 6 miles in the allotted time with a full load. Awesome showing by the IL ladies today.

edit- permission was granted by all involved today for use of pics as American Pioneer Corps see fit. I have more, will get them up in a bit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Updated bottom of OP with links to piss cutters and rating insignia.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Updated bottom of OP with links to piss cutters and rating insignia.
View Quote
Good timing, because after today we have a couple guys in need of some head wear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
@Ben
@Jenzilla

Illinois Battle Boys 3rd Class Qual 3rd 6 mile hike
Date: 3/1/20
Hike location: Waterfall Glen Darien   Il.
Distance: 6.28 mile hike 3:
Time: 1:59.38

Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron 45 lbs.  This meets the 3rd class qual for both Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron.  @Ben, what are next steps to get that documented and official?

The following completed their 2nd 6 mile hike:  SleepingBirdDog, GreenDragon and Slarti

Miss Redbirdxx and Mrs TheRadBaron both completed 6 miles as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit- the group split and some of the participants got more distance in less time. We all made time as the data above is from the slower group, which is all I have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#28]
One more compliments of SleepingBirdDog...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]
@Redbirdxx

Which hiking app is that?  I use Walkmeter but it only gives instant pace speed, not cumulative pace speed.

But it gives calories burned which we have found humorous on our hikes. “We have now completed 1.5 miles and 100 calories!”  
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Redbirdxx

Which hiking app is that?  I use Walkmeter but it only gives instant pace speed, not cumulative pace speed.

But it gives calories burned which we have found humorous on our hikes. “We have now completed 1.5 miles and 100 calories!”  
View Quote
It sure puts snickers bars into perspective.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Redbirdxx

View Quote
Garmin Connect, requires the use of an external Garmin device, in this case, my watch. The calories burned is based on heart rate and other nebulous criteria...in most cases I think it’s a little optimistic but in the case of the hikes, I don’t think its too far off. The watch doesn’t know I’m carrying 45lbs.

@spartacus2002

@TheRadBaron is using a phone only app that seems to supply some good data.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Garmin Connect, requires the use of an external Garmin device, in this case, my watch. The calories burned is based on heart rate and other nebulous criteria...in most cases I think it’s a little optimistic but in the case of the hikes, I don’t think its too far off. The watch doesn’t know I’m carrying 45lbs.

@spartacus2002

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Redbirdxx

@spartacus2002

I've been using Addias Running since it was Runtastic. It's free, and gives you reports like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I have found Underarmor (yes FUA) “MapMyWalk” and “AllTrails” to both be excellent pace keeping apps.

Map my walk has a readout so you can hear every 1 mi what is your pace without pulling the phone out if it’s somewhere you can hear it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have found Underarmor (yes FUA) “MapMyWalk” and “AllTrails” to both be excellent pace keeping apps.

Map my walk has a readout so you can hear every 1 mi what is your pace without pulling the phone out if it’s somewhere you can hear it.
View Quote
I tried MapMyWalk, I immediately started getting bot emails from fake hot women wanting to connect on the UA social network, "Cherry69 wants to connect with you."  I got rid of that shit with a quickness.  WTF...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tried MapMyWalk, I immediately started getting bot emails from fake hot women wanting to connect on the UA social network, "Cherry69 wants to connect with you."  I got rid of that shit with a quickness.  WTF...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Nike Run Club on my phone. It has worked fairly well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn, this thread has gone places. Clicking the green arrow brought me to page (1). On page (3) now & will be caught up soon...
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn, this thread has gone places. Clicking the green arrow brought me to page (1). On page (3) now & will be caught up soon...
View Quote
AAAANNNNDDD... It's stopped.

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#38]
That’s awesome! Great job!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Naaa dude....that's just your animal magnetism working it's magic in Florida!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#40]
We completed our first hike near Dulzura on Saturday.  Turned out to be closer to 8.2 miles.  At one point we were within a few miles of the Mexican border.  At the end of the hike we could hear an illegal shouting off in the distance.  Sounded like he was in distress and had become separate from his group.  We were able to get in contact with Border Patrol.  All of the BP agents encountered were pretty cool.

Definitely a tougher hike than I expected.  Trail got pretty rough at times, and there are some significant elevation changes, but on the other hand, this time of year the scenery is really beautiful.  I think this would be a good one for a future repeat, perhaps starting a bit earlier in the day (although we did start perhaps an hour later than intended).  We averaged an approximately 1.5 mph pace.

Hopefully we'll have a larger group for the next one.  No issues at all with carrying, and we encountered people shooting along the way.  The topography is also really easy to identify, so we had no problems figuring our approximate location on the topographical map we had with us.

We have another hike planned for this coming Saturday.

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#41]
@bigstick61...  Nice job, beautiful scenery!

Edit: Dyslexia day.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We completed our first hike near Dulzura on Saturday.  Turned out to be closer to 8.2 miles.  At one point we were within a few miles of the Mexican border.  At the end of the hike we could hear an illegal shouting off in the distance.  Sounded like he was in distress and had become separate from his group.  We were able to get in contact with Border Patrol.  All of the BP agents encountered were pretty cool.......(snip)]
View Quote
That area is beautiful for both days of the year that it's green.

Looks like a great hike.  Did you guys keep track of your time?  We finished ours on Saturday around Price Utah with about 10 minutes to spare.  Eventually I'll get some pics together.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Looks like a great hike.  Did you guys keep track of your time?  We finished ours on Saturday around Price Utah with about 10 minutes to spare.  Eventually I'll get some pics together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We completed our first hike near Dulzura on Saturday.  Turned out to be closer to 8.2 miles.  At one point we were within a few miles of the Mexican border.  At the end of the hike we could hear an illegal shouting off in the distance.  Sounded like he was in distress and had become separate from his group.  We were able to get in contact with Border Patrol.  All of the BP agents encountered were pretty cool.......(snip)]

It took us a bit over 5 1/2 hrs., perhaps.  So about 1.5 mph average pace.  I had issues with my pack adjustment which required more frequent stops than I would have liked.

Not sure what I have adjusted incorrectly, but the weight quickly shifted from the lower part of my torso to my upper back and shoulders, which was quite unpleasant, to say the least.

I just adjusted the top attachment for the shoulder straps, cinching the attachment straps down (raising the shoulder straps) as far as possible.  Walking around for a bit, the weight seemed to stay where it should, but the real test will be on the hike.

I'm using a Tactical Tailor MALICE Pack that I bought a good while back.  The straps aren't the same as for an ALICE, so the guides I found for adjustment don't seem to apply.

Weight was almost 44 lbs. dry before throwing in a bandolier of ammo and a couple of other small items.  Water weight added about 10 more pounds.

I had some light LBE (belt and suspenders with two clip pouches, a pistol magazine pouch, and pistol holster) and my FAL.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It took us a bit over 5 1/2 hrs., perhaps.  So about 1.5 mph average pace.  I had issues with my pack adjustment which required more frequent stops than I would have liked.

Not sure what I have adjusted incorrectly, but the weight quickly shifted from the lower part of my torso to my upper back and shoulders, which was quite unpleasant, to say the least.

I just adjusted the top attachment for the shoulder straps, cinching the attachment straps down (raising the shoulder straps) as far as possible.  Walking around for a bit, the weight seemed to stay where it should, but the real test will be on the hike.

I'm using a Tactical Tailor MALICE Pack that I bought a good while back.  The straps aren't the same as for an ALICE, so the guides I found for adjustment don't seem to apply.

Weight was almost 44 lbs. dry before throwing in a bandolier of ammo and a couple of other small items.  Water weight added about 10 more pounds.

I had some light LBE (belt and suspenders with two clip pouches, a pistol magazine pouch, and pistol holster) and my FAL.
View Quote
I'd recommend against trying to be an over achiever initially and try to make good time with 35lbs and a rifle. It is easier to add weight once you are already hitting time hacks than it is to train by starting with extra weight and trying to get faster.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'd recommend against trying to be an over achiever initially and try to make good time with 35lbs and a rifle. It is easier to add weight once you are already hitting time hacks than it is to train by starting with extra weight and trying to get faster.
View Quote
I was actually attempting to achieve 35 lbs.  Weight added up pretty quickly.  I gotta go through everything again and cut some weight out.

In the main compartment I had cold and wet weather outerwear and a spare change of clothes in a dry bag, plus a folded tarp.  In the bag strapped to the bottom I had a backpacking tent and sleeping bag.  One pouch in the middle had some paracord and a bandolier of ammo (60 rounds of 7.62mm amo on chargers), another an e-tool, and the third a 1 qt. canteen.  The top pouches had some trail snacks, a few small items (like small binoculars, a headlamp, etc.), and my Boy Scout Handbook.  I also had two 2-qt. canteens attached.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was actually attempting to achieve 35 lbs.  Weight added up pretty quickly.  I gotta go through everything again and cut some weight out.

In the main compartment I had cold and wet weather outerwear and a spare change of clothes in a dry bag, plus a folded tarp.  In the bag strapped to the bottom I had a backpacking tent and sleeping bag.  One pouch in the middle had some paracord and a bandolier of ammo (60 rounds of 7.62mm amo on chargers), another an e-tool, and the third a 1 qt. canteen.  The top pouches had some trail snacks, a few small items (like small binoculars, a headlamp, etc.), and my Boy Scout Handbook.  I also had two 2-qt. canteens attached.
View Quote
Weight indeed adds up, and too often we allow it to do so.

If you like reading, you should check out "The Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation."
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#47]
One hundred pounds of expensive lightweight gear is still one hundred pounds.

Look at each item when packing and ask the question, "do I need this"?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One hundred pounds of expensive lightweight gear is still one hundred pounds.

Look at each item when packing and ask the question, "do I need this"?
View Quote
Exactly.
Unless, you chucking sandbags in just for weight.

I weigh everything i pack and im not a oz counter like many hikers.

Propper load placement, and a properly SIZED AND ADJUSTED pack are key to not suffering.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Weight indeed adds up, and too often we allow it to do so.

If you like reading, you should check out "The Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation."
View Quote
PDF here.

In case the link doesn't work: https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/ebooks/Soldier's%20Load_dated%201980.pdf
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks @qualityhardware
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top