Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have concerns with the perception that this is a militia in the making? I believe it’s a great idea for those fit enough to participate but we live in interesting times where perception becomes reality far to easily. Not criticizing, just asking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have concerns with the perception that this is a militia in the making? I believe it’s a great idea for those fit enough to participate but we live in interesting times where perception becomes reality far to easily. Not criticizing, just asking.
View Quote
I have huge concerns and will go to great lengths to ensure local law enforcement knows exactly what it is and that they are welcome to participate.

The key to combating that perception is openness. If it is kept as a I have a secret club type thing it will garner the negative perception.

Already I have seen SM comments about the VABBs and Silent Brigade being a militia when they were in Richmond. I think marching in may have caused that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope.  It's a hiking club.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
With guns.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With guns.
View Quote
Or not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With guns.
One of the hiking club's stated goals is to build community.

The rifles are completely optional and simply an exercise in freedom as well as building community with like minded freedom loving individuals.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The rifles are completely optional and simply an exercise in freedom as well as building community with like minded freedom loving individuals.
View Quote
"An organization that consists of local and regional communities of members of a like-mind with a certain level of fitness, networking, capability with a rifle, and with proficiency in skills such as amateur radio and first aid, among others."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not a reasonable description of what the leadership here is trying to create? Sounds pretty "well regulated" to me.

I understand that it is absolutely fatal to be called a "militia" nowadays with all the negative impressions that term is loaded with, but is this organization just going to be a GORUCK competitor or is it trying to be something more? I feel like leadership wants it to be something more than just another "hiking club" but can't seem to properly define it without getting labeled with the "M" word.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"An organization that consists of local and regional communities of members of a like-mind with a certain level of fitness, networking, capability with a rifle, and with proficiency in skills such as amateur radio and first aid, among others."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not a reasonable description of what the leadership here is trying to create? Sounds pretty "well regulated" to me.

I understand that it is absolutely fatal to be called a "militia" nowadays with all the negative impressions that term is loaded with, but is this organization just going to be a GORUCK competitor or is it trying to be something more? I feel like leadership wants it to be something more than just another "hiking club" but can't seem to properly define it without getting labeled with the "M" word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More in the sense that there will be more emphasis on other types of training - EMT and Wilderness Firefighter come to mind. If you want to call Firefighters a paramilitary org, feel free. At least rifles don't look super conspicuous at a distance - imagine us doing this with forest fire fighting equipment
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think that there's anything that we could collectively do to enhance our readiness in any way that won't eventually be accused of being a "right wing militia" or some other buzzword intended to brand us all as neo-Nazi hicks who are prepping for war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think that there's anything that we could collectively do to enhance our readiness in any way that won't eventually be accused of being a "right wing militia" or some other buzzword intended to brand us all as neo-Nazi hicks who are prepping for war.
The Nazis had gyms they worked out in in Nazi Germany set up by Hitler.

If you go to the gym you're a white supremacist.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  It’s time to laugh off the bullshit labels the left slings our way.  That’s the worst possible reason to not participate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With guns.
not on hikes in FL; no open carry here (except under limited exceptions that don't apply to hiking)
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
not on hikes in FL; no open carry here (except under limited exceptions that don't apply to hiking)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With guns.
Can't you just say you're on your way to fish?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure if this has been covered or not...Is there a formula for appropriate rate of speed with snowshoes?  Or to allow for steepness of terrain?  I've started hiking the Adk High Peaks and figured my upcoming hikes could count somehow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One survival strategy would be compartmentalization; put the various activities under associated but independent orgs, and at the same time limit how much influence a local group can have over other groups or theme org overall.  It's harder to target or kill the whole org for the sake of one activity or rogue element, that way.

But I don't think we're there, yet, where we need such drastic measures.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Love it and the concept.

I'll also offer that orienteering would likely be a great fit as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
@mc556

You had a question about ranges near Greenville, SC that conduct NRA/CMP Highpower.  I posted a list of some I know in your SC BB thread.

Posted here just for more visibility.

SC BB
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep.  It’s time to laugh off the bullshit labels the left slings our way.  That’s the worst possible reason to not participate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!  They sling so many names and stereotypes our way nowadays that's the least of our concern.  Don't most people say a militia is well regulated?  Regulators mount up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there a central place to report qualifying people/events?
View Quote
Working on it, but want any list kept to be secure.

For now: if you've done a hike and not posted about it in one of the three main ABB threads (this one, #NBB, and the call to all ABB), please feel free to PM me with the date and screennames (or just who organized it and the number that attended, whatever floats your boat). (VBBs, you're already covered). Moving forward, feel free to PM me with future hikes for now (again, VBB, I got you fam...)

Ben's out of pocket for a bit, but will catch him up and we'll move forward on better tracking that won't be a full roster for our hiking club (maybe just states and numbers publicly for now - because honestly it warms my tiny little heart and is inspiring - then a secure list with screennames and/or organizer POCs until incorporated and legal has a say on it.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I HOPE Ben is keeping track, we'll have our first official hike for the I'llAnnoy boys this coming weekend....
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I embrace it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but in 3.d.1.a you list Navy, Army, and Marine PT tests as equivalent for the level.  Is there a reason you excluded Air Force from it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but in 3.d.1.a you list Navy, Army, and Marine PT tests as equivalent for the level.  Is there a reason you excluded Air Force from it?
View Quote
Because navy folks can't pass it.

USAF standards
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

USAF standards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USAF standards
Thats awesome . . .
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I HOPE Ben is keeping track, we'll have our first official hike for the I'llAnnoy boys this coming weekend....
Awesome!
The Southern Indiana bois have our first hike tomorrow. I’ll have screen name/alt ID of all who meet the standard.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Southern Indiana bois have our first hike tomorrow. I’ll have screen name/alt ID of all who meet the standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!
That's rad. Just remember: If you had fun, you won!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same for some (south central?) Virginians tomorrow

Link
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Northern/Central Illinois crew has our first “official” hike on Sunday.  Weather looks great.  Check out the Illinois HTF for details if you might be interested.

ETA:LINK now that I'm on my laptop
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because we're using military fitness tests.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The union will hear about this.  The boys at the golf club will be most unamused.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there a website or is someone working on one?

I would like to share this with some friends but don't want to send them to a GD thread.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is there a website or is someone working on one?

I would like to share this with some friends but don't want to send them to a GD thread.
View Quote
That is an excellent idea and definitely a need, but likely needs to wait until incorporation. You’re welcome to copy/paste the OP and send it, I think I have it in a word doc if you want to PM me an email if that’s easier
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Did 3.1mi in 54:18 w/40lbs today. Unfortunately I only got one guy to go with me.  But it's a start.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The union will hear about this.  The boys at the golf club will be most unamused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My nephew is currently in the Farce. He just graduated from Air Assault School at Campbell.

He was sweating the 12 mile ruck march.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!
We had 5 show up (one persons daughter decided to join the fun).

3.11 miles in 57:16.  Was a great time.  4 Arfcommers.  Do I PM you all our names/screen names?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
The USAF test (scoring value individually of the run, pushups, and situps aside) is wonky in that a big part of the score is predicated on your body composition (four scored categories instead of three like everyone else). There is no reason we need to make this even more complicated-especially when we start getting into "well I don't appear to be fat when you pinch my skin, so I get extra points despite being skinny fat and unable to effectively do X".
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#40]
If you asked a question, sent me a PM, or an email, in the last week or so- please forgive me. I've been out of service somewhere isolated due to work, and came back to 1800+ missed PMs and emails from ARFCOM alone. Sorry if I don't reach back to you individually...I'll try and play catchup.

Big update to this thread OP in next few days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The USAF test (scoring value individually of the run, pushups, and situps aside) is wonky in that a big part of the score is predicated on your body composition (four scored categories instead of three like everyone else). There is no reason we need to make this even more complicated-especially when we start getting into "well I don't appear to be fat when you pinch my skin, so I get extra points despite being skinny fat and unable to effectively do X".
View Quote
You don't have a pinch test, only a waist size.  That is easy to measure.  One thing that makes it odd with scoring is you can meet the mins in every category but still not pass the test.  The other metrics are pretty standard.  The reason the USAF put that in the test is due to a direct relationship between waist size and heart disease.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you asked a question, sent me a PM, or an email, in the last week or so- please forgive me. I've been out of service somewhere isolated due to work, and came back to 1800+ missed PMs and emails from ARFCOM alone. Sorry if I don't reach back to you individually...I'll try and play catchup.

View Quote
Time for delegation, bro.  That's a nightmare.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You don't have a pinch test, only a waist size.  That is easy to measure.  One thing that makes it odd with scoring is you can meet the mins in every category but still not pass the test.  The other metrics are pretty standard.  The reason the USAF put that in the test is due to a direct relationship between waist size and heart disease.
View Quote
Yeah, but without an allowance for height and general build a simple measurement of the waist is nowhere near a fair criteria across the board. My waist is a solid 40”, but I’m 6’3” and my chest is 49”, bf% is well within healthy ranges. Myself and guys like me get an automatic zero on that portion just for being larger than normal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird.

I'd figure passing is passing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty has been delegated. Still have plenty hitting me box...we are getting there though. Less bad than I expected.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's weird.

View Quote
It is so distance runners can't pass just using the run or weight lifters pass just on pushups.  But still give some leeway so people of varied skills still pass.  A guy that runs a 9 min 1.5 mile still has to make the min push-ups even if his total score is above 75.

I see most people fail because they don't train their weaknesses.  It actually makes sense.  Take a look at the chart and do the math in your head, could you pass it?  I retired with a 100 score but I can't do it anymore.  I would be around 82-85.

Most fails happen to kids two years out of basic training.  They get to their duty station with a >90 score (basic training fitness) and don't have to test for 2 years.  After 2 years of doing nothing they are marshmallows and fail to score 75.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It is so distance runners can't pass just using the run or weight lifters pass just on pushups.  But still give some leeway so people of varied skills still pass.  A guy that runs a 9 min 1.5 mile still has to make the min push-ups even if his total score is above 75.

I see most people fail because they don't train their weaknesses.  It actually makes sense.  Take a look at the chart and do the math in your head, could you pass it?  I retired with a 100 score but I can't do it anymore.  I would be around 82-85.

Most fails happen to kids two years out of basic training.  They get to their duty station with a >90 score (basic training fitness) and don't have to test for 2 years.  After 2 years of doing nothing they are marshmallows and fail to score 75.
View Quote
I worked for a chief that said he would stop before the finish line of the run until his time put him under 90 because he knew that if he didn't have to test for a year he'd have trouble motivating himself to go to the gym.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird.

Yep, that's me. I'd barely pass.

(Old distance runner) I haven't kept up on my sit ups (used to be a stud there) and NEVER really worked on pushups. (Even at peak, I just didn't train my upper body other than small weights to drive the arms)

I get your point.

I failed pushups and situps in the Navy test, but can still rock low 8 minute miles as a pack a day smoker.

I'm working on it. Gets me every year at CWE with the obstacles largely being upper body strength based.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@Ben

what are your thoughts about allowing achievement of Rifleman score at an Appleseed event to qualify for 2nd class/1st Class?  If verified by an Appleseed instructor, of course.  The course of fire is modeled after NRA high-power course of fire.
View Quote
I'm generally opposed to stuff shot at less than 200 yards being acceptable, and hesitant and with reservation think it is acceptable at the 200 yard range with reduced targets even.

This is because a big part of it is learning to shoot in the wind- at 100 and less yard ranges, wind has so little effect that people don't really need to read and adjust for it at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How the heck do I find places to hike while geared out?  I might have some people interested when it warms up, but I don’t even know where to go.
View Quote
We do a lot on bike trails in town- most even. We have also done more than a few on sidewalks. Though we've not in daylight taken long guns on a public hike in town with less than squad size.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top