I am more than steel
I am the Emperor's will given form
I shall know no fear

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Me too. Used to read a bunch of the novels. But it seemed like halfway into the Horus Heresy series the quality went way down, while the size of the books (physical, not content) and prices inexplicably doubled. Seemed like my favorite writers disappeared, and the Black Library started publishing anyone with a word processor.

For instance, does Abnett write anymore? What happened to the rest of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books? Ghaunt's Ghosts? Graham McNeill still writing? Ciaphas Cain sequels? Dembski-Bowden?

If things have gotten better, please let me know and recommend some books, because it's been several years since I read a new one.
View Quote
Abnett still writes, Eisenhorn and Ravenor have been wrapped up for years btw.  He started a Bequin trilogy but GW pulled him onto other projects  Gaunt's Ghosts is still going I think.  Sandy Mitchell put out a new Ciaphas Cain a year or so ago as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Gaunts Ghosts will never be finished.  

Dan Abnett is George R.R. Martining us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes yes, we know you love the cock. You don't have to say it in every thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warhammer 40K is shit. And I have 0 fucks to give about anything anybody posts in response to my statement.
yes yes, we know you love the cock. You don't have to say it in every thread.
It's true, the Government Man has said it.  That means it's in a NSA Adaptus Terra database somewhere. 

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Used to play in 3rd edition.

Every time I get the itch to play again I look at the prices ($65 for a tac squad these days? wtf?) and change my mind.

Oh well.

I still have some of my old armies in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built a few of the tanks and assorted models................never really played much
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Every time I get the itch to play again I look at the prices ($65 for a tac squad these days? wtf?) and change my mind.

Oh well.

View Quote
Buy them on Ebay new on the sprue.  You get everything but the box for around $24 (10 tac guys in MKIV armor anyway)

The Start Collecting boxes are great values as well, especially on Ebay or Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Buy them on Ebay new on the sprue.  You get everything but the box for around $24 (10 tac guys in MKIV armor anyway)

The Start Collecting boxes are great values as well, especially on Ebay or Amazon.
View Quote
The two Horus Heresy boxes are amazing value, too.  If all you want is Space Marines, Betrayal at Calth is the better value.

And I'll second the Start Collecting boxes as a good deal over individual boxes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well.

I'd look at used miniatures as well, if they are painted good, fine, if they aren't dip 'em and start over.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the lore is kind of cool.  Though it became slightly less so after I realized the original core of it was a nerd's fantasy (Ultramarines) against jocks/cool kids (Orcs).
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the lore is kind of cool.  Though it became slightly less so after I realized the original core of it was a nerd's fantasy (Ultramarines) against jocks/cool kids (Orcs).
View Quote
Wat. 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to. I actually need to get rid of some minis in my effort to declutter the house.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
LulWut?

Orkz are plainly based on "Colonials" and Soccer Hooligans.

Space Marines are just that, superhuman/post-human genetically engineered humans/warrior monks.

The game was thought up in Nottinghamshire in England in the early 80s, projection much?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay, so back on the subject of lower cost methods.

GW recently changed the terms of their arrangements with independent stores, the independent stores are once again allowed to have GW stuff in an online shopping cart, with discounts.

So, shops like the War Store have, for example, the Horus Heresy boxed games for $127.50, down from the full price of $150.  Bear in mind, the $150 is still a big savings over buying the stuff (or equivalents) separately.  Betrayal at Calth, for example, has three 10 man squads, fully equivalent to a Tactical Squad (Regular cost for a Mk IV squad, which is what you get in BaC, is $50, regular cost for a SM Tactical Squad is $40), 5 Cataphractii Terminators (Regularly $65), two HQ models (regularly $50 for the pair), and a Contemptor Dreadnought (regularly $60), so even at full price for the big box, the $150 is equivalent to the cost of buying the three Tac Squads at full price, and the Terminators, Dread, and characters are, compared to buying everything separately, "free".

The "Get Started" boxes are generally a pretty good deal, too, although they lose their luster if you aren't starting an army, and you probably have (and don't need) much of what's in the box.

Filling in missing stuff can be done reasonably via discounters, or you can score awesome deals on ebay, particularly if you're prepared to strip some of the more godawful paint jobs off (some dollar stores have a cleaning product called "LA's Totally Fantastic" which works great as an acrylic paint stripper, just leave the stuff in for a bit).
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

GW recently changed the terms of their arrangements with independent stores, the independent stores are once again allowed to have GW stuff in an online shopping cart, with discounts.

So, shops like the War Store have, for example, the Horus Heresy boxed games for $127.50, down from the full price of $150.  Bear in mind, the $150 is still a big savings over buying the stuff (or equivalents) separately.  Betrayal at Calth, for example, has three 10 man squads, fully equivalent to a Tactical Squad (Regular cost for a Mk IV squad, which is what you get in BaC, is $50, regular cost for a SM Tactical Squad is $40), 5 Cataphractii Terminators (Regularly $65), two HQ models (regularly $50 for the pair), and a Contemptor Dreadnought (regularly $60), so even at full price for the big box, the $150 is equivalent to the cost of buying the three Tac Squads at full price, and the Terminators, Dread, and characters are, compared to buying everything separately, "free".

The "Get Started" boxes are generally a pretty good deal, too, although they lose their luster if you aren't starting an army, and you probably have (and don't need) much of what's in the box.

Filling in missing stuff can be done reasonably via discounters, or you can score awesome deals on ebay, particularly if you're prepared to strip some of the more godawful paint jobs off (some dollar stores have a cleaning product called "LA's Totally Fantastic" which works great as an acrylic paint stripper, just leave the stuff in for a bit).
View Quote
That is good to hear :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reference and completeness, let me add:  The other Horus Heresy box is also a good value, although how good depends on whether you have uses for the two characters and the two units which take up the equivalent, in this box, that the Contemptor does in BaC.  Burning of Prospero still included 3 ten man tactical squad equivalents (some different weapon options compared to the Mk IV armor in BaC, and of course the ones in this box are Mk III armor), and five terminators (Tartaros pattern armor compared to the Cataphractii of BaC).  The three squads are, again, the same cost as the whole box if they were bought separately.  So, you already get the Terminators as a "bonus" by buying this box.  The two characters, unlike BaC, are Legion (or chapter) specific, as opposed to the tacticals and terminators which lack army-specific bling.  One of them is quite obviously a Space Wolf HQ type, the other is a Thousand Sons sorcerer.  The other two units are a five-man squad of Custodes, and a five-woman squad of Sisters of Silence.  Both have rules in 40k, and with the 8th edition rules can easily be used in any imperial army.  So, if you have a use for them, there's more value to you.  Or, you can sell them.  Probably won't fetch much, because a LOT of people picked up this box, so there's lots of them floating around, surplus.  But since the box is already a savings over buying squads individually, even a little money for selling them is a plus.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Love the lore. Have tons of minis, but can't paint to save my life. Need to offload them into eBay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Love the lore. Have tons of minis, but can't paint to save my life. Need to offload them into eBay.
View Quote
Well, this weekend im gonna find out how I do with the ole paint lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#20]
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! KHORNE FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!

Seriously though I love warhammer, especially when I eventually get around to fully painting up my Blood Disciples army lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:01:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! KHORNE FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!
https://i.imgur.com/CxaK0uU.png
https://i.imgur.com/5t2k9Gc.jpg

Seriously though I love warhammer, especially when I eventually get around to fully painting up my Blood Disciples army lol.
View Quote
Welcome to the forum Trickster
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for suggesting this forum lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He works for GW! GET HIM!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#24]
A new day dawns on Terra.

Praise the Emperor!

Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me when my Dark Angels will get their codex!!!

And when is Lion waking up?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already have one:

Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

Astelan did nothing wrong.

ETA:

On the whole though, screw both Chaos and the False Emperor, Renegade Blackshields are the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#27]
My 40k army runs on guardsmen, a limitless cheap renewable resource.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't expect to see Dickard migrate over to ArfCom...
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

As much as I love my IF, I accept the reality that 40K revolves around the smurfs, and papa smurf will be the only one on the stage.  I'm about to dip the lot and repaint them red, just because.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As much as I love my IF, I accept the reality that 40K revolves around the smurfs, and papa smurf will be the only one on the stage.  I'm about to dip the lot and repaint them red blue just because.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I love my IF, I accept the reality that 40K revolves around the smurfs, and papa smurf will be the only one on the stage.  I'm about to dip the lot and repaint them red blue just because.
May as well accept your Spiritual Liege Bro.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Introducing the kids to it.  Been at it since 87/88.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#32]
The Russ Approves of this thread. For Fenris and the Allfather!

I think it'll probably be barbarian Russ who comes back next for the Loyalists.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Russ Approves of this thread. For Fenris and the Allfather!

I think it'll probably be barbarian Russ who comes back next for the Loyalists.
View Quote
I'm thinking it will be the following in order of likelihood:

Lion, Vulkan, Russ, Dorn, Khan.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As much as I love my IF, I accept the reality that 40K revolves around the smurfs, and papa smurf will be the only one on the stage.  I'm about to dip the lot and repaint them red, just because.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I'm a DA player, I'm extremely used to disappointment.

But I honestly believe they're going to bring back the surviving Primarchs and maybe even the unknown two. Just a feeling.

A buddy of mine with an in with GW HQ in Memphis says they'll release the Blood Angels, DA, and Wolves codexes at the same time (or very close together) sometime before Christmas. We'll see if he's right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm thinking it will be the following in order of likelihood:

Lion, Vulkan, Russ, Dorn, Khan.
View Quote
I thought Dorn was confirmed KIA during one of the Black Crusades? I wouldn't mind them opening up that door actually, since it might bring back Sanguinius and Kurze.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#36]
No class today, wife will be at training in the morning, then asleep after that because she works tonight, so I'm going to get out to the garage and fire up the airbrush to get some more basecoating done.  I have a shit ton of Thousand Sons to get through.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought Dorn was confirmed KIA during one of the Black Crusades? I wouldn't mind them opening up that door actually, since it might bring back Sanguinius and Kurze.
View Quote
IIRC, all they found of Dorn was his hand, which is an IF relic now.  If that's so, his return is still possible, perhaps.

I don't think they're likely to stop producing the various daemon primarchs, after all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My 40k army runs on guardsmen, a limitless cheap renewable resource.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IIRC, all they found of Dorn was his hand, which is an IF relic now.  If that's so, his return is still possible, perhaps.

I don't think they're likely to stop producing the various daemon primarchs, after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His 40k wiki entry says there's a canon issue, where one story says they found the fist and another says they have the whole skeleton in acrylic or amber.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, I think I recall that certain characters are "dead-dead" and others are merely "mostly dead".

Dorn makes sense to bring back to serve as a foil for and take yet another asswhipping from Perturabo (ref. Iron Cage, Terra)

Magnus and Russ also make sense for similar reasons.

Vulkan and the Sallys could serve as a foil for Mortarion and the Death Guard, since the Sallys love Humies and the Death Guard used to, before they decided they needed a krumpin' then decided they should resort to biological warfare, in reality forcing the Death Guard/Smurf meme is kinda dumb and lazy, because theres a lot more Legions with bad blood with Papa Smurf and the smurfettes than Morty, specifically the Alphas and Lorgar and his boys.

Speaking of Lorgar: Poster Child for being 100% right and getting what you wanted, good, and hard.

ETA:

I personally wanna see even more WTF injected into the world and have it confirmed that a bunch of the chapters founded in the aftermath of the Heresy uses hybridized and even "Traitor" legion gene seed.

C'mon dude, everyone knows the fucking Minotaurs and Space Sharks are the World Eaters, and the Bald Ravens are Thousand Sons or Word Bearers, just admit it and enjoy the existential angst.

And before anyone doubts it, just remember the Exorcists and all the crazy shit the Inquisition is up to... its not a big stretch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I got my wife into it with the Horus Heresy audiobooks.  She especially likes Garro and Loken.

Now we have a Warhammer Room.

6x4 table.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/20170928_181159-2016x1512-319943.JPG

Her Blood Angels (she doesn't paint much)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/20170928_181241-1512x2016-319944.JPG

My Ultramarines  (I paint slowly)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/20170928_181220-1512x2016-319945.JPG

Various Imperial allies.  I have a dozen heavy weapons teams, 5k points of Skitarii and 5 squads of Scions packed in trays from moving them during the hurricane.

The two landing craft are for a water map we are making with a promethium rig.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/20170928_181233-2016x1512-319946.JPG

The Emperor's holy Aquilla watches over our home.  We do not tolerate unsanctioned witches, heretics, mutants or xenos in this household.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58051/20170928_181356-1893x1064-319951.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Where are you guys finding those 3d prints from the warhammer video games!?

I don't know jack about the lore.  I like where they went with 8th Ed so I've got a small Tau force started. (like 40-50PL built and currently painting).
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy fuck, another Whispered fan!  And you like 40k!

Hello new friend. Welcome to the forum. 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
His 40k wiki entry says there's a canon issue, where one story says they found the fist and another says they have the whole skeleton in acrylic or amber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the original story about the incident Dorn was slain.

In a later story he went missing and they only recovered his hand.

The Horus Heresy series, which is about as official as lore gets now, hasn't gotten to that point yet.  They may find his skeleton, his hand, or nothing at all.

I for one hope he comes back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, maybe not as cheap there as I thought.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gaunts-Ghosts-Founding-Dan-Abnett/dp/1844163695/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506619744&sr=1-2&keywords=the+founding

I mean, it's an omnibus of three books, but more than I thought it would be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest the Gaunt's Ghosts series to start.  Not sure if they are still in print, but you could probably snag some on the cheap off Amazon.
Thanks,  I'll start looking for them.
Well, maybe not as cheap there as I thought.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gaunts-Ghosts-Founding-Dan-Abnett/dp/1844163695/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506619744&sr=1-2&keywords=the+founding

I mean, it's an omnibus of three books, but more than I thought it would be.
40K books are a bit of an odd duck in the world of sci fi print.  They seem to do very limited print runs, which means when new readers come along and start looking for earlier books in a series they can be hard to find, which pushes up the price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I really enjoyed the game wayyy back in the days when it was essentially just a hardcover book, with all sorts of freewheeling "build your own army" rules.  I remember when GW had official articles on how to turn things like an empty deodorant container into a grav tank.

Obviously over time GW has become far more focused on their business model, and the current incarnation that stresses all GW models all the time, plus is designed around any army having at least a couple of large, expensive models is no longer of interest to me.  Not bashing anyone who enjoys playing under the modern rules, just not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Never played but always was fascinated by the story. I have a good number of the comics from back in the day. Kind of like Heavy Metal but set in a singular universe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice, a productive morning.

20 more Scarab Occult terminators and two Vindicators basecoated in Thousand Sons Blue.  I'm glad I finally got enough trial and error and experience with the airbrush to make it something that works well.  When I previously was trying it with Tau, I was having a hell of a time, but now I've got a much better eye for the paint consistency (extra critical with a base color like TS Blue, that stuff is THICK), a better compressor, and better understanding of how acrylics behave on the tip of the brush, which led to me keeping it cleaner.

Just four more Rubric squads to basecoat...and a Contemptor...and two regular dreads...Magnus...Ahriman...two Necrosphinxes to stand in for Maulerfiends...a Heldrake to convert...a Spartan to build...

Oh.  Back to overwhelmed.

And a dozen armies after this one that need painting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I just bought the 30th Anniv. Primaris Intercessor vet sgt, another box of intercessors, and a box of hellblasters for my Blades of Vengeance (DA primaris successor chapter).

I still have two full regular tac squads, a sniper squad, a ravenwing bike squad, and a deathwing squad to do.  

Why do I do this to myself?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had a pretty decent collection of the books from college because they were cheap.  Gave some to MrsCheShirt to read when she was out of her highbrow stuff one time.  Turned out she really liked the GrimDark40K.

Now, at her insistence, we have this stack:

https://i.imgur.com/ExA3dF1.jpg?1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More of a fan of the lore, I don't intend on going down the rabbit hole of tabletop.
I had a pretty decent collection of the books from college because they were cheap.  Gave some to MrsCheShirt to read when she was out of her highbrow stuff one time.  Turned out she really liked the GrimDark40K.

Now, at her insistence, we have this stack:

https://i.imgur.com/ExA3dF1.jpg?1
That's all well and good. But everyone's going on about the Mrs this, and Mrs that.

Oddly, there is a distinct lack of Eldar cosplay pics
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top