Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/10/2013 3:45:55 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of choosing between two schools and need some advice.  One school is really close driving distance and has all new planes with glass instruments, this school is more expensive by $10 for instructor and $15 for plane rental) .  The second school has some planes with glass instruments and some with standard gages, this school is further away but slightly cheaper.  It has been suggested by a friend of mine that flies that I should first learn on the older gauges before going to the LCD screens.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Learn on the old equipment.learn how to pilot a plane.too many today rely on modern instuments.I always tought it was a lot more rewarding to fly by map.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of choosing between two schools and need some advice.  One school is really close driving distance and has all new planes with glass instruments, this school is more expensive by $10 for instructor and $15 for plane rental) .  The second school has some planes with glass instruments and some with standard gages, this school is further away but slightly cheaper.  It has been suggested by a friend of mine that flies that I should first learn on the older gauges before going to the LCD screens.  What do you guys think?
View Quote

Well, you have the requisite attention for detail.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There is an entire forum dedicated to flying planes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You really can't go wrong, but opinions will vary though. I'd learn on what type and where you'll most likely be renting after you get your ticket. FWIW, my trainer doesn't even have a radio and needs to be hand-propped, and the gas gauge is a rod sticking out of the gas cap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with the cheaper option.

Flying is expensive. It will cost more than you have planned. You will learn faster if you are able to focus on the lesson and not worry about how much it is costing.

After the first couple of lessons, show up early to preflight before your lesson. Save the instructor time, which you are paying for. Remember the school may be charging $70 an hour for the instructors time, but might be paying him as little as $15. Buy him lunch.

Study in your own time as much as possible and show up prepared.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with the old aircraft, especially if you plan on attempting to get the IFR rating. (It's pretty easy, and worth the experience even if you never plan on flying IFR) I miss flying
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Flying is expensive. It will cost more than you have planned. You will learn faster if you are able to focus on the lesson and not worry about how much it is costing.

After the first couple of lessons, show up early to preflight before your lesson. Save the instructor time, which you are paying for. Remember the school may be charging $70 an hour for the instructors time, but might be paying him as little as $15. Buy him lunch.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid, but I don't think I can afford it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dont forget your logbook and stopwatch
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And back up your log book either with another copy, or electronically!
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say for recreational. learn on both. That way you know how to fly both. For the most part there really isn't a special benefit to learning one over the other. Until you want to fly one of the others.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sub, it will be one great life experence.one of the best things I did for myself.do it you'll, never regret it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes you can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Older first.  Might as well save money.  It will be much easier to learn the magic than to start with magic and go back to steam.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can.
I want to believe.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can fly  "needle, ball, and airspeed" and do Dead reckoning and pilotage, you will have little trouble no matter what you transition to.  Then it will be just a matter of learning the toys on the different acft.

The fellow above with the Cub knows this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I took an intro class today and the instructor has about 8 years flying, 550 hours, and almost 2 years instructing.  So far one student has a license and a few others are in the process.  I figure he is the new guy at the school.  He was okay, he really didn't get into detailed explanation of things or assumed that I knew what he was talking about; for example, he mentioned elevators and I had no idea what he was talking about until I asked later on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't start unless you have the money to get your private ticket. Too much time between lessons and you'll spend time each lesson shaking off the rust, instead of picking up from the last one. You should fly at least once a week, but IMO, 2-3 times is better.
Flying more often, your progress will be faster and you'll save money.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I took an intro class today and the instructor has about 8 years flying, 550 hours, and almost 2 years instructing.  So far one student has a license and a few others are in the process.  I figure he is the new guy at the school.  He was okay, he really didn't get into detailed explanation of things or assumed that I knew what he was talking about; for example, he mentioned elevators and I had no idea what he was talking about until I asked later on.
View Quote
He only has 550 hours in 8 years of flying (and instructing for two years)? Something doesn't add up.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Older first.  Might as well save money.  It will be much easier to learn the magic than to start with magic and go back to steam.

View Quote

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wouldn't start unless you have the money to get your private ticket. Too much time between lessons and you'll spend time each lesson shaking off the rust, instead of picking up from the last one. You should fly at least once a week, but IMO, 2-3 times is better.
Flying more often, your progress will be faster and you'll save money.
View Quote

Yeah I plan to go twice a weekend if time permits.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He only has 550 hours in 8 years of flying (and instructing for two years)? Something doesn't add up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing that bizarre about those totals.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Steam gauges all the way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess that just doesn't seem like a lot of time to me.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Go with the older. It is easier to transition to the glass panel after learning on the round dials.
It IS harder to Learn the older after starting on the glass.

I've instructed students in both and from what I've seen they tend to progress faster without all the wiz bang gizmos.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Take a few pay by hour lessons. Quite often people decide to start flying and then discover that they really don't care for it. Avoid large pre payments unless the school has a long track record of stability. Flight schools can go out of business without warning and you can't get your pre payment back.
Also, check in over on
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/147_Aviation.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Take a few pay by hour lessons. Quite often people decide to start flying and then discover that they really don't care for it. Avoid large pre payments unless the school has a long track record of stability. Flight schools can go out of business without warning and you can't get your pre payment back.
Also, check in over on
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/147_Aviation.html
View Quote

oh cool I didn't know about that forumn
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]
There is no requirement for any flight time to take the written test.  All you need is instruction and sign off by an instructor.  There are ground schools you can take that offer classes that prep for the FAA written.  2 or 3 weeks, sometimes offered as a night school continuing education through a local college.

Cost is minimal compared to flight time, and your test is good for 2 years IIRC.  A good way to see if you like it without blowing a bunch of money, you have to pass the written anyway before you can get a license.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I guess that just doesn't seem like a lot of time to me.
View Quote

Unless you are teaching in a school that has you up pretty regularly it's expensive as shit to get to 550 hours.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#32]
um, I'll go ahead and ask what will likely be a dumb question: what's the point unless you can afford a plane?

I mean they probably rent planes, but in that case you're flying back to the place you took off from every time.

kinda like having a driver's license but you can only drive around without getting out then go back home.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

um, I'll go ahead and ask what will likely be a dumb question: what's the point unless you can afford a plane?

I mean they probably rent planes, but in that case you're flying back to the place you took off from every time.

kinda like having a driver's license but you can only drive around without getting out then go back home.
View Quote
It's cheaper to rent a plane than it is to own one (usually), and you can absolutely do multi-day cross country trips in a rented plane.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Since when have stalls been forbidden?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stalls... never. Spins... at a lot of flight schools. It's too bad, cuz spins are fun!
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Never? I might have missed it, but who said they were?

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Power on/off? Where are they forbidden?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#38]
My vote is neither.

Save your money for something worth while.

But I am a grouchy old pilot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
with 30 years of flying and 7700 hours under my belt including lots of primary instuction as well airline crew instuction I will say there is somthing to be said for building a foundation on round dials and the. transitioning to screens. There is to much heads down time and relying on instruments in to days pilots. I fall back on basic flying skills often in my proffesional flying career in late model jets and thank my early days of basic skills for it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It's cheaper to rent a plane than it is to own one (usually), and you can absolutely do multi-day cross country trips in a rented plane.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amount of time spend flying is the deciding factor.

It usually makes sense to buy if you fly 120 to 150 or more hours per year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Stalls... never. Spins... at a lot of flight schools. It's too bad, cuz spins are fun!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to learn spins.  It is a requirement for the instructor rating.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

View Quote

I learned on steam gauges. When I bought my plane I stuck a WAAS 530 and a 430 in the thing and desperately wished I had enough money to go all glass.

Steam is OK, but compared to glass it's like comparing a 1979 Corvette to a 2013. Yeah, they both work, but one is science fucking fiction and easier to use and more reliable due to redundancy. Besides, in a glass cockpit there will usually be a small steam cluster just in case.

When my electrical system failed totally over Bleckly, WV in 2008, the steam didn't work either because I couldn't see them. Sometimes, at 2AM, you just have to aviate, and navigation and communication aren't in the picture.

Go learn on glass. It is more fun and less stress.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I learned on steam gauges. When I bought my plane I stuck a WAAS 530 and a 430 in the thing and desperately wished I had enough money to go all glass.

Steam is OK, but compared to glass it's like comparing a 1979 Corvette to a 2013. Yeah, they both work, but one is science fucking fiction and easier to use and more reliable due to redundancy. Besides, in a glass cockpit there will usually be a small steam cluster just in case.

When my electrical system failed totally over Bleckly, WV in 2008, the steam didn't work either because I couldn't see them. Sometimes, at 2AM, you just have to aviate, and navigation and communication aren't in the picture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Guys,

Flash lights arn't connected to the electrical system.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My vote is neither.

Save your money for something worth while.

But I am a grouchy old pilot.
View Quote

It depends on what he's into it for.  If it's for fun then it's still cheaper than quality hookers and cocaine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I want to believe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can.
I want to believe.  

I'm serious. Quit fagging it up in the Miata and learn to love LSA.

Hell, I had a share in this bad boy when I was 19. Cost me about $1700 and $40 an hour or so wet. ANd how 70's is that paint scheme?

I'm pretty sure that's either my dad or myself in the photo)

But yeah, flying is much more expensive if you go to some Private Pilot assembly line.

Hell, get into powered parachutes or ultralights. Just get up in the air.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Hell, I had a share in this bad boy when I was 19. Cost me about $1700 and $40 an hour or so wet. ANd how 70's is that paint scheme?

http://images2.jetphotos.net/img/2/9/4/3/39415_1187652349.jpg

But yeah, flying is much more expensive if you go to some Private Pilot assembly line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can.
I want to believe.  

http://images2.jetphotos.net/img/2/9/4/3/39415_1187652349.jpg

If you can come with with creative ways to get my time without paying north of 8 grand to do it, I'm all ears.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I think you should prepare to get raped on your life insurance bill.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Learning the analog gauages is a must.  The newer glass is easy to transition to.  And honestly, the older gauages are easier.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#49]
A neighbor who was an airline pilot told me "find the cheapest time you can and fly as much as you can" when I was about to start on the road to a commercial multi rating.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think you should prepare to get raped on your life insurance bill.
View Quote

Are you required to disclose that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top