User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The higher you go, the more work becomes your life.

Steve Jobs went to work 7am and came home around midnight every day including weekends and holidays.

That’s a choice all of us must make.

Here’s a great article to read about:

https://www.kornferry.com/insights/articles/the-four-stages-of-contribution
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is just more of a rant......

I work an office job (engineering) at a good sized privately owned manufacturing company. Been there for 20 years.  Great place to work...BUT, it's the strangest environment I've ever worked in.  The upper management are all in there 60's, and super old school.  Their lives all revolve around work....it's their hobby, their fun, their life.

Myself and my coworkers all have good relationships and chat about life outside of work, but as far as upper management goes (our bosses)....they never ask about peoples families, or how things are outside of work, what people do for fun, how their vacations went, etc, etc.

If you tell them you need a day or two of vacation because you have a sick child in the hospital...when you get back to work, your boss will never ask you how your kid is....but how you will get caught up from being gone.  
If you are on a two week vacation with your family taking a cross country trip....when you get back in the office, your boss will not ask you about your vacation...they will ask you "where is that report from two wees ago?"
If you can't make a meeting because you got an emergency call from daycare and you have to go pick up your kid for some reason......it's not "I hope your son is ok".....it's "I hope you are still going to make it to the meeting....right?".

There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.  Very odd.

It's just a very odd environment.  I think it's just that old school "work always comes first, family second" type attitude. It's very frustrating sometimes.  In the end, it doesn't' affect my job......but it's strange that they pretend their employees don't have a home life.

Anyone else work at a place like that?

Steve Jobs went to work 7am and came home around midnight every day including weekends and holidays.

What, exactly did that get him?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work an office job (engineering) at a good sized privately owned manufacturing company. Been there for 20 years.  Great place to work...BUT, it's the strangest environment I've ever worked in.  The upper management are all in there 60's, and super old school.  Their lives all revolve around work....it's their hobby, their fun, their life.

Myself and my coworkers all have good relationships and chat about life outside of work, but as far as upper management goes (our bosses)....they never ask about peoples families, or how things are outside of work, what people do for fun, how their vacations went, etc, etc.

If you tell them you need a day or two of vacation because you have a sick child in the hospital...when you get back to work, your boss will never ask you how your kid is....but how you will get caught up from being gone.  
If you are on a two week vacation with your family taking a cross country trip....when you get back in the office, your boss will not ask you about your vacation...they will ask you "where is that report from two wees ago?"
If you can't make a meeting because you got an emergency call from daycare and you have to go pick up your kid for some reason......it's not "I hope your son is ok".....it's "I hope you are still going to make it to the meeting....right?".

There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.  Very odd.

It's just a very odd environment.  I think it's just that old school "work always comes first, family second" type attitude. It's very frustrating sometimes.  In the end, it doesn't' affect my job......but it's strange that they pretend their employees don't have a home life.

Rich, then loathed by his family, then dead. If I remember right
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my co-workers' wives had a medical issue a few nights ago.  He emailed our team, cc'd our new executive director on it, and said they had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 8AM the next day and he was going to use his lunch hour for that, and come into work after the appointment.

The new executive director has a policy now that any errands/appointments that last long than an hour need to be taken as a half-day.  Without regard to the idea of working late, or shorter lunches, or any kind of comp time to make up for it (sometimes we stay late or work from home late at night).

The only response from the new executive director: "Take 1/2 day sick leave and we will see you after lunch."  That was literally her entire response.  No "Hope your wife is ok", nothing like that.

I don't expect to be buddy-buddy with management. But a little empathy wouldn't hurt, either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
All companies are like that to some degree or another. It is incumbent upon YOU to determine what level of commitment you are willing to make, and if the company doesn't like that level, best to look for employment elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It made him a billionaire.

BUT...he's also known, now, as a gigantic asshole.  And that's probably how history will remember him.

Whereas Gates, who was also a gigantic asshole, has turned into one of the world's best philanthropists and will likely be known more for that than his tenure at Microsoft.  He's donating billions of dollars to try and stamp out various diseases and help bring up the third world.  Good for him.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife had a miscarriage... I told my "boss"(i ran every aspect of the business... he was a face.) That I had a family emergency and had to leave right there.  I walked out of the door.

I showed up to work the next day to his boss and him wanting to take me to lunch...   where he told me I shouldn't have left and that my job was on the line.  When I told him my wife had a miscarriage and was looking at the fetus. His response was "it doesn't matter..."  I paused... stood up and went back to the shop, shaking... he had no idea how close he was to violence. I grabbed my tools and gear and went home, again.

I got a call, to not come back and a weekly paycheck for 6 months. The business closed doors a month after I left..

He is a member here, if he happens to read this...

Go die in a fire.
View Quote
Wow. Screw that. You had a lot of restraint.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife had a miscarriage... I told my "boss"(i ran every aspect of the business... he was a face.) That I had a family emergency and had to leave right there.  I walked out of the door.

I showed up to work the next day to his boss and him wanting to take me to lunch...   where he told me I shouldn't have left and that my job was on the line.  When I told him my wife had a miscarriage and was looking at the fetus. His response was "it doesn't matter..."  I paused... stood up and went back to the shop, shaking... he had no idea how close he was to violence. I grabbed my tools and gear and went home, again.

I got a call, to not come back and a weekly paycheck for 6 months. The business closed doors a month after I left..

He is a member here, if he happens to read this...

Go die in a fire.
Yeah, I am a pretty calm and restrained person yet I would have flipped the table over and stormed out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am mid-management.
I have worked for this company for over 20 years.
It always had the usual Christmas party and a summer picnic.
You were encouraged to use your PTO hours.  You could even use them one day at a time.
Never required to pre-schedule your vacations so not to conflict with anyone else.
You were expected to get your work done when at work.
401K, profit sharing, health and disability insurance...…….pretty good package above the average offered package
Bonuses were distributed based on the financial success of the company at least once a year and on a rare occasion twice a year.

We are in what I call a transition time.
We "re-branded" ourselves.
[As a side note, educate yourselves on the real costs of such an endeavor]
We have had some long time employees retire.
Some upper management has retired.
Due to good business, we are in need of talent.
Our recent hires have all been in the 22-32 year old age range.

We started providing breakfast on Fridays.
After winning a competition to provide services for a large project request come in for a celebration of some kind.
We have at least one in office social event paid for by the company every quarter.
Stand up work stations have been requested and are being tested.
Laptops for convenience have been provided to those who have requested them.
Work from home requests have been granted along with providing infrastructure for those people.
We still have the Christmas party and summer picnic.
All of this can be viewed as good things.
Bonuses this past year, were less then the previous two years.
An increase in visits to supervisors was noted.
An increase in questions about compensation in general and specifically about bonuses was noted from the visits to supervisors.
All of the above comes at a price and it is charged to overhead which reduces profits which is where the bonuses and profit sharing come from.
View Quote
What type of company is it? I may be able to convince the wife to move to Nebraska. Depending on the city it’s a great place to raise a family. I’d love to live there again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
When you're getting pay to work, they don't want to  hear your personal problems, is that simple, imagine a place of work trying to please every employee's situations and family  problems. It doesn't work that way OP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Once upon a time
Big four
Fuck those fuckers.

Multiple miscarriages.
Nobody gave a damn.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you're getting pay to work, they don't want to  hear your personal problems, is that simple, imagine a place of work trying to please every employee's situations and family  problems. It doesn't work that way OP.
View Quote
Our country would be a lot better place if people weren't sociopaths about work.

Happier employees are more productive than unhappy, beaten-down slaves.  It's a pretty simple concept.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once upon a time
Big four
Fuck those fuckers.

Multiple miscarriages.
Nobody gave a damn.
View Quote
My boss at the time gave me a week off, paid, told me to go home and take care of my wife.  I miss working for him, he was a great guy to work for. RIP Frank.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And people wonder why the gen whatevers or millennials can be tricky employees, they have seen firsthand that they are worth jack shit in the eyes their employer and will act accordingly.
View Quote
This is absolutely true.

When you go past three levels of management, the % of people that give a shit about the people under them drops dramatically.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ok, Dale Carnegie. A business that doesn't give a rat's ass about your normal human needs outside of the time clock, and expects you not to have any, is a sweatshop.

Work for that shit if you want. Be that kind of boss. Die a very miserable person.

Don't preach that's how it's supposed to be, tho, because some of us know better, and have better lives to show for it. We certainly have a workplace where we're treated like humans, with a sliver of decency.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a family life, but if I did, my job would ignore it.  It's partly to blame for me not having a family life for that matter.  Pretty much no personal life, not entirely the fault of work, but it certainly didn't help.  Means pretty much no meeting women (work is NOT a source for that, there has been maybe one I'd ever consider dating from work, and she was gone quickly), meaning no family.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am a pretty calm and restrained person yet I would have flipped the table over and stormed out.
View Quote
I was wearing a sidearm...  I take my actions when carrying extremely seriously.  This person was a very good friend at one point also, or at least I considered him to be.

If we weren't at work and armed... I may have tried.

That said, life moved on. I had to sell my guns to survive the unemployed time. But I got back to work, apprenticed as a machinist and went back to school.  Turned in a few apps while working and got offered a decent career job as an industrial mechanic with a large city.

We are much better off. So it worked out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I work in the oil industry, notorious for lots of OT.  We’ve literally had supervisors tell trainees that their crew is their new family.  Past few years that attitude has caused quite a few people to walk away from a $125k+ job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I work for a class I railroad. So, uh, yeah.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I've worked in the same organization for just about 30 years (fuck)

Over that time I've noticed that management/admin. has absolutely zero fucks to give about staff, yet they "expect" a certain level of dedication and sacrifice. More and more they're getting less and less Lol.

What we have now is a situation whereby no one gives a fuck about booking off sick, using up vacation time and taking full advantage of all the programs and accommodations available.
We could have a SHTF scenario going on and if end of shift comes up.. most staff just leave.
It used to be people would stick around to get stuff done and take the OT. now..  they just pack up and go home leaving the sgts and Lts to do the work.
You should hear them cry.... theyll run to admin. who will just tell them "oh well"...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I did.  I walked out.  Fuck them, life is too short.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I work in the oil industry, notorious for lots of OT.  We've literally had supervisors tell trainees that their crew is their new family.  Past few years that attitude has caused quite a few people to walk away from a $125k+ job.
View Quote
As I've said in countless employment threads, when you can't keep people around or hire good help only two possibilities exist, and only two (because all employment is a supply/demand issue and human beings will figure out a way to fulfill both):

1. You're not paying enough for the market/scarcity of skills/level of your competition/difficulty of job/shittiness of work environment.

2. You are a lousy boss and your toxic atmosphere makes people unhappy enough that money won't retain or attract them.

There's no third option.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I did, for 15 years.

It was hard to get vacation.  They made me feel like I was letting everyone down for wanting to go on a vacation.  If you tried to schedule your vacation around things, it never worked because the planning and project management was non-existant.

I could only take a week or less off after both kids were born.  Taking the kids to the doctor got me lectures about missing work, and I was told that "your wife can take care of that."  I even got lectured when I was building a house not to take off too much to meet with the contractor, etc.

I was once asked to take a two week business trip.  I told the boss that I needed to talk to my wife before I said yes.  I got counseled for wanting to check with her first.  I almost got fired for not wanting to go on a three week business trip because it would impact my family.

And, there were two times I was dog sick and most likely contagious.  I stayed home, but the boss called me into work.  One of those times, I had taken some meds that made me very sleepy.  I tried to tell him that I was in no condition to drive, but he refused to listen, so I drove the 35 minutes in to work, fighting sleep the whole time.  I could have got a DUI for that.  After that experience, when I was sick, I turned all the phones off.

Some of my corworkers got divorced while I worked with them.  I still wonder if the job had something to do with it?

I left in 2016.  I tried to leave many years earlier, but during the Obama years, jobs were scarce around here and I couldn't take any more pay cuts and I felt like I was too old to start at the bottom again.  The new job I have is great.  They actually encourage you to take vacation.  I even came to work feeling much better after being sick, but I still had a bad cough.  The boss "encouraged" me to go home!  I said ok and left!

Edit:  I'm the deputy PM now, in charge of all the programmers, DBA and technical support folks.  I care about them and their familes.  Why?  Because I want them to be happy, be productive, and stay working here.  If it comes down to family or the job, they will choose their families and find a new job.  I don't want them to have to make that choice, because it does impact our business.  And since nothing we do is time sensitive, there's no reason to be a jerk and not let them off when they want to take off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Why is your family life, your employer's concern?  Sounds like a personal problem to me.  Don't like the work environment, move on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
1. God
2. Family
3. Work

In that order.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why is your family life, your employer's concern?  Sounds like a personal problem to me.  Don't like the work environment, move on.
View Quote
Because we're human beings, and not soulless appliances?

All people have personal problems.

Don't like your employees being human beings? Replace them with androids, and move on.

Is there a single occupational study done in the last 100 years that shows people treated as if they have no outside life is more productive or makes for a better long term business strategy?

I mean, if your way is right.....wouldn't it produce better results? Ever?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#27]
For 16 years I did pro bono legal work for children, mostly under the age of 12.  I work in legal for an oil major, I informed my employer after being employed there for several years what I wanted to do and they were very supportive, never said a peep(good or bad) when I would be gone 1-2 hours here or there, usually around a lunch, and scheduling was never a problem.  Never really a problem for family life either.

What I have noticed though over the years is temps/non-permanent workers in the new "gig" economy are basically treated as crap but I'm guessing that is prevalent in all employment now.

Hking
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#28]
This is exactly why I'll be glad to retire in a few years. Hech, I'd retire now if I could. Between the employees who just want to go and gossip while surfing FB all day and the nazi workaholics there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground anymore. I'm in the camp of less I know about others personal lives the better, especially politics and family spats...good thing I enjoy my job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#30]
We used to have a manpower coordinator that when told by an employee he had to miss because his wife was in labor, "are you delivering the baby?".

In other words, he was saying no reason for the father to be there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We used to have a manpower coordinator that when told by an employee he had to miss because his wife was in labor, "are you delivering the baby?".

In other words, he was saying no reason for the father to be there.
View Quote
If people like that got punched in the face any time they said something stupid, it would fix issues like that a lot faster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If people like that got punched in the face any time they said something stupid, it would fix issues like that a lot faster.
View Quote
I worked with a guy when I was really young and just getting started in my industry, he was a pretty nice dude and a squared away employee. In two week's time his house burned to the ground, his daughter was severely injured in a cheerleading accident, and he lost his father. When he asked the owner of the shop (who was a cold hearted fuckface) for funeral leave (which was contracted and a non-issue to have off) the owner told him "You're life's a mess, clean it up". I mean, he was at work through everything that happened, and was merely requesting his time off to bury his father.

Dude snapped and grabbed the owner and slammed him against a wall and from what I heard said he was lucky he didn't kill him. I guess even decent men reach a point where there's no more fucks to give. He walked out, never came back. Heard he moved the family to Florida and did well for himself.

If he would have beat the old man into the ground it would have been well deserved. There's not caring, and then there's almost a beligerent dismissal of your humanity. In the latter, people like that need their shit pushed in - if not by someone, sometime, by god.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I worked an entire career at places like that.

The excellent pay and benefits were enough to keep 80% of us from complaining about it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dude snapped and grabbed the owner and slammed him against a wall and from what I heard said he was lucky he didn't kill him. I guess even decent men reach a point where there's no more fucks to give. He walked out, never came back. Heard he moved the family to Florida and did well for himself.
View Quote
not all heroes wear capes
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I worked with a guy when I was really young and just getting started in my industry, he was a pretty nice dude and a squared away employee. In two week's time his house burned to the ground, his daughter was severely injured in a cheerleading accident, and he lost his father. When he asked the owner of the shop (who was a cold hearted fuckface) for funeral leave (which was contracted and a non-issue to have off) the owner told him "You're life's a mess, clean it up". I mean, he was at work through everything that happened, and was merely requesting his time off to bury his father.

If he would have beat the old man into the ground it would have been well deserved. There's not caring, and then there's almost a beligerent dismissal of your humanity. In the latter, people like that need their shit pushed in - if not by someone, sometime, by god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of them hang out in GD, and compete to see who can be the biggest asshole.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top