Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm printing mine.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The masks we have from my Covid19 test are washable.   A lady up the street was sewing masks and we got a couple from her.  They are purple and white stripes with flowers on them.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

don't fold it, from what I've read HVAC filter material is designed for air to flow thru in one direction.  Instead, put two layers that flow in the same direction.
View Quote

Most hvac filters have metal reinforcement on one side hence the airflow direction arrow.  Also avoids question of “what way do I put in filter “.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I just dropped of at my mother’s a old flannel sheet and some torn multicam pants.  I suggested that using the flannel inside with a multicam cover would be pretty cool.  She wasn’t especially enthusiastic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/how-to-make-a-face-mask.html

Mom raised two boys by herself and taught us some basic repair sewing.  This looks easy enough.  I'll give this a whirl and will report back later.
View Quote

AAR:
I didn’t have the interface material so I just used 3 layers of fabric. A little thick for my machine but was able to get through it. First one was a little rough as far as getting the concept down, but should be a little smoother going forward. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I sewed this up

Sewed a pocket for a filter in it too
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 of these I miss ordered earlier last year in small that the kids can wear.  And I have 2 in medium/large that the wife and I can wear.

Do you think these are as “good” as n95’s?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
My daughter started sewing masks.  Problem is they are slow and her plan is to donate to hospitals.

Another issue, my wife tries out each one Oh fuck me!

I said leave a card saying "Tried out by wife name "
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Saw this yesterday:
https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

View Quote

What sucks is I have a ton of the Scott’s towels, wondering how bad they were compared to the Zeps and the others...
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Nice work...! Bonus points for OG woodland camo.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#12]
had to have cable guy come over, no mask.  Said spectrum says wear them one day and then changes.  He had bandannas in the truck he's used.  That's probably what I'll use if anything.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]

@GlockLuvinRedleg do you happen to have a pattern for this? Showed the wife and she thought it was a good design.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m not shaving the beard. So just hot glued a patch of high merv furnace filter into a clear plastic bag that I tie around my entire head, sealed at the neck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
wearing a mask to work when you have to wear safety glasses and they fog up while operating a forklift is not a good combination.not to mention drinking and eating
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Plenty of youtube videos on how to make masks. Only use pleated furnace filters that are virus rated. You can use t-shirts for the outer covering. It's important to use a video that shows how to make an adjustable top part of the mask so that it fits your face properly. If you have any gaps between your face and the mask when you breathe in air it will take the path of least resistance which means you'll be breathing unfiltered air from outside the mask. It defeats the purpose of the mask.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Tested home made design.

Mask
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#18]
We don't have any masks and have never seen any for sale. My wife just showed me one she made out of handkerchiefs - looked pretty good. These masks are not worth a crap but they do make you feel better when you get around people, like in a store.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought some of these:
Attachment Attached File

I know these are only allergen filters, but it’s all I could find in my small town. I also doubled lined the final filter.

Pulled the cardboard off & cut it into 6x9 inch rectangles:
Attachment Attached File

Then tied the ends vertically with the creases, added a second layer of filter w/ panty liner to catch moisture & molded them into this:
Attachment Attached File

I left the wire so it’d better mold to your face. It’s not as uncomfortable as you’d think. Just cut the ends as close as you can to bands holding them together.

Then mold it to your face & secure it in place with a bandana.

Edit: if the panty liner you buy has a sticky backing, make sure you peel it off before sticking in your mask, as the glue is non-permeable & won’t breathe. You want the airflow going through it & it'll catch moisture from your breath.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]
High school girl I know is making masks to use her sewing skills. Her filter material is the same as the 3M 5P71 P95 filters. https://nationalemergencymasks.com/
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Can you bend over and pick something up with that on?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@GlockLuvinRedleg do you happen to have a pattern for this? Showed the wife and she thought it was a good design.
View Quote

Just got this, was a super fun day.
I only have the base pattern right now, which was complete and utter garbage that wouldn't scale right.

Tommorow morning I will redraw the entire thing correctly (and to scale) and add the notes for attachment points and filter insert access

One of the issues I had to fix was that that the original didnt have the seam allowance worked into the cut pattern.

It was also just meant to be a plain mask, so some of the stuff I did was on the fly..

I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I have it done
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I only have the base pattern right now, which was complete and utter garbage that wouldn't scale right.

Tommorow morning I will redraw the entire thing correctly (and to scale) and add the notes for attachment points and filter insert access

One of the issues I had to fix was that that the original didnt have the seam allowance worked into the cut pattern.

It was also just meant to be a plain mask, so some of the stuff I did was on the fly..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much obliged, you rock!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Would I be crazy to cut the liner out of a perfectly good chemical suit to use as liners in home made masks? I've owned this suit for 15-20 years and never had a use for it. But it is older than its storage life so maybe it would be better served in a mask anyhow.

Go for it? Or waste of time/use furnace filter material?

Saratoga Chemical Protective Overgarment

Primary function: Improved chemical agent protective outerwear which provides protection to the entire body, feet, hands and face.
Protects against: Chemical agent vapors, aerosols, and droplets, and all known biological agents.
Protection period: 24 hours
Durability: 30 days continuous wear
Concentration resistance: 10mg/m2 challenge for chemical agents and any challenge (battlefield) for biological agents.
Dimensions:
Length: Size dependent
Width: Size dependent
Height: Size dependent
Weight: approximately 4.7 pounds (2.13 kilograms)
Maximum effective temperature: 120° F (48.84° C)
Storage life: 13 years
Unit Replacement Cost: $184
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need to figure this out today. CO governor just announced this as required if you go out but I don't have any masks.
View Quote

How do that do that?

So the only people that get to go out are the mask horders?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.  I’m still struggling to understand how people didn’t see this coming and get ready for it back in January.  Especially by the end of January when it was clear what was happening and what was needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no, I bought full face respirators, filters, surgical masks,  n95's gloves and more back around jan 1st when this shit first popped up.

This.  I’m still struggling to understand how people didn’t see this coming and get ready for it back in January.  Especially by the end of January when it was clear what was happening and what was needed.

Because some of us have been through several of these new virus scares and nobody freaked out and started hoarding masks. In fact very few people even wore masks.

I had no idea that the globalist elite would stoop so low as to start a world wide panic just because the populists are winning at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife is using non-woven fabric outer. Replaceable filter insert (a/c with virus filtration) and a soft inner layer that rests against the face. Its washable and the insert is easy to replace.
Shes amazing
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not shaving the beard. So just hot glued a patch of high merv furnace filter into a clear plastic bag that I tie around my entire head, sealed at the neck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope, I still have almost two boxes of N95's that I bought a couple of years ago. My wife is a nurse so they're all for her except one for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
wearing a mask to work when you have to wear safety glasses and they fog up while operating a forklift is not a good combination.not to mention drinking and eating
View Quote

We have idiots here driving around with their hoods up, then get surprised when they don't see someone coming from the side.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Much obliged, you rock!
View Quote

I'm behind the power curve today, and I had to give up my workspace so the oldest could finish an art final for her college class,
I'll get it to you as soon  as I can though
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I made a grocery run this morning and saw everything from N95 masks to bandanas over faces in the store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many people wearing what appeared to be home made masks at Walmart this AM.

I made a grocery run this morning and saw everything from N95 masks to bandanas over faces in the store.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because some of us have been through several of these new virus scares and nobody freaked out and started hoarding masks. In fact very few people even wore masks.

I had no idea that the globalist elite would stoop so low as to start a world wide panic just because the populists are winning at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no, I bought full face respirators, filters, surgical masks,  n95's gloves and more back around jan 1st when this shit first popped up.

This.  I'm still struggling to understand how people didn't see this coming and get ready for it back in January.  Especially by the end of January when it was clear what was happening and what was needed.

Seems like every couple of years some new disease is gonna decimate the world's population.

I'm struggling to understand how people can be in their 40s, 50s, 60s and still believe this nonsense.

It doesn't help that the last 4 years has been constant bleating of "orange man bad" by the msm and dem politicians.  And not a single one of the things they have accused President Trump of has been true.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top