Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2012 2:53:58 PM EDT
Looking to get a decent new jacket. And from what I'm looking for these two seem to be the only real choices out there. I really like the TAD Ranger Hoodie style with the thumb holes on the wrists. But the thing is both are just too damn much money. Are there any other choices out there or are Arcteryx and TAD the only two choices?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There are very few choices that are of that quality.  I've been looking and it's just about impossible.  I love my Ranger Hoodie.  I'd like to have another, but one tan is enough, I don't wear black and they're out of the green.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dead Bird FTW!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Arcteryx is worth the price. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
700 dollars for a dead bird jacket
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Mountain Hardwear.  Works good.  I like to get my stuff online when its on sale.  A LOT CHEAPER
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have Mountain Hardwear.  Works good.  I like to get my stuff online when its on sale.  A LOT CHEAPER

Where are you buying your MH stuff?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
mountain gear
Altrec

I hope i cant get into trouble for posting these links?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I wore my first Arc'teryx jacket most days of the year for 7 years and I replaced it with another Arc'teryx.  IMO, they're worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Dead Bird is well worth it at twice the cost.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My TAD Stealth Hoodie is freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Arc'teryx
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Mountain Hardwear for my expensive jackets. Sure, it's not quite the quality of TAD or the bird, but it's close enough and 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Steep and Cheap has lots of good gear on the cheap if you can catch it.

I also shop here http://www.departmentofgoods.com

Neither carries LEAF brand from Arc' but most of the time the LEAF gear is a bit to military-ish for day to day travel.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking to get a decent new jacket. And from what I'm looking for these two seem to be the only real choices out there. I really like the TAD Ranger Hoodie style with the thumb holes on the wrists. But the thing is both are just too damn much money. Are there any other choices out there or are Arcteryx and TAD the only two choices?

Go down to your local REI and try on a bunch of the Arcteryx stuff. The Covert Hoody is a very nice one to check out while you're there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Another vote for Mountain Hardwear.

I happened to luck out finding exactly what was needed for the wife and myself at SierraTradingPost.com.  If you check them frequently for online order coupons and get on the email list for specials the prices on most items hit really interesting lows.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I happened to luck out finding exactly what was needed for the wife and myself at SierraTradingPost.com.  If you check them frequently for online order coupons and get on the email list for specials the prices on most items hit really interesting lows.

I got lucky and most of mine were almost %50 off.  Even on my jacket that was msrp $300
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Arcteryx for the win. Buy once cry once for sure. Blows my northface out of the water
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Are there any other choices out there or are Arcteryx and TAD the only two choices?

No, no one else makes a jacket in the entire world.

BTW, it might be helpful what your expectations for a jacket are, and what you'll be doing in it.

I survived many grueling white guy adventures in a Carhart....but maybe you're going to do do swan dives into leaf shredders or something that requires kevlar and rocket launchers.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Arc

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Patagonia
Mountain Hardwear
Columbia
Oakley
REI
Sierra Designs
Marmot
Diesel
Bonfire
Campmor
Zoic
LL Bean
Under Armor
BOSS
Arborwear
Berne Apparel
Salomon
Helly Hansen
Calvin Klein
Royal Robbins
Burberry
Levi's
Carhartt
FUBU
Outdoor Research
Polo
Arbor
Hugo Boss
Massif
North Face
Ecko
Otte Gear
Propper
Armani Collezzioni
Wild Things
Potomac
ExOfficio
Merrell
Burton
prAna
Descente
Nau
Dolce and Gabbana
Holden
O'Neill
Woolrich
Nike
Kuhle
Mammut
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#23]
otte gear may suit your needs. mountain hardwear has done very well by me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I like them both and have several from each.  I seem to wear my Ranger Hoodie and Shagmaster the most followed by either the Arc'teryx Atom or  Venta. I think they are worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are there any other choices out there or are Arcteryx and TAD the only two choices?

BTW, it might be helpful what your expectations for a jacket are, and what you'll be doing in it.

I survived many grueling white guy adventures in a Carhart....but maybe you're going to do do swan dives into leaf shredders or something that requires kevlar and rocket launchers.

Carhart is not numerically tiered, won't work.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carhart is not numerically tiered, won't work.

Correct. Carhartt is Tier A.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I owned TAD jackets but frankly, compared to TAD, Arcteryx is absolutely worth the money. TAD is overpriced and overhyped tactical fashion.

There ARE other brands of that level though. www.backcountry.com; Mammut, Marmot, Norrona (bad ass), Cloudveil

Stoic, Backcountry's brand, is not bad for the money.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to be a Carhartt guy, but my go to jacket is now an Arcteryx Atom LT or whatever they call it.

Its light and versatile. Packs down into the size of a softball and still warm enough when you jump off a plane in Barrow. Works well at 50 degrees and 30. Also more durable and water proof than the Carhartt duck. They are like $130, so not much more than a Carhartt.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to be a Carhartt guy, but my go to jacket is now an Arcteryx Atom LT or whatever they call it.

Its light and versatile. Packs down into the size of a softball and still warm enough when you jump off a plane in Barrow. Works well at 50 degrees and 30. Also more durable and water proof than the Carhartt duck. They are like $130, so not much more than a Carhartt.

I just used it as a reference. There are about 200 companies that make a good outdoor rated poly jacket.

I have a Ecko Function heavy shell right now that's been superb, ran $100 or so on sale. I've had Mammut, Patagonia, and some others and all were good for what I used 'em for.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I owned TAD jackets but frankly, compared to TAD, Arcteryx is absolutely worth the money. TAD is overpriced and overhyped tactical fashion.

There ARE other brands of that level though. www.backcountry.com; Mammut, Marmot, Norrona (bad ass), Cloudveil

Stoic, Backcountry's brand, is not bad for the money.

Damnit, after I posted this, I talked myself into 2 Norrona jackets.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just used it as a reference. There are about 200 companies that make a good outdoor rated poly jacket.

I have a Ecko Function heavy shell right now that's been superb, ran $100 or so on sale. I've had Mammut, Patagonia, and some others and all were good for what I used 'em for.

well are they good for swan dives into leaf shredders?  what about non white guy adventures?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think it is worth spending that much on rain gear unless you are out in the rain pretty constantly.

If it rains all the time where you live and you have to be out in it all day for work, it is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#34]
The North American Arc'teryx distributor is one of my customers.  But I gots no Arc'teryx gear.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#35]
TAD is overpriced junk.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Doesn't Condor make a decent fleece hoodie for the money?

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for the Mountain Hardware gear. I would like to have the Arc' stuff, but I've got other priorities.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#38]
How dare you?  Wallmart is has a sale ; what are you doing here?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#39]
http://www.gearscan.com/

Picked up my Arctery'x at 51% off... gotta keep an eye out constantly until you find the deal though, since they run about 15 minute deals
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Mountain Hardware, Spyder, The North Face, Columbia, Marmott, Stoic.....

There are plenty of quality outdoor gear makers.

I tend to buy Arc'teryx when I can afford it but there are other options.

My wife's Arc' Gamma is nicer than my TNF Apex but for a simple day to day softshell the Apex is just fine.

However I will say that my Arc' Stratos fleece is by far the best fleece that I've ever had/seen/worn.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Isn't Mountain Hardware Gear actively anti-RKBA?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had really good experience with Mountain Hardware but the last jacket I bought was a Barbour International Jacket. The Barbour will probably outlast any jacket that has been listed in this thread so far.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Isn't Mountain Hardware Gear actively anti-RKBA?

Link?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I pay that for suits for work, not casual jackets.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll second this, same experience as above.  I like Arcyeryx and Mountain Hardwear.  

Find the item and put the name in google shopping, can usually find a deal.  I almost always buy on sale or last season,  both are good quality brands.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Mountain hardware and Patagonia are worth a look.  Also golite.com has good stuff.  I'm happy with my products from all three.

Mountain hardware is probably the best bang for the buck (unless weight-for-warmth matters, then golite catches up quickly)
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Keep looking on the net and outdoor stores. I found a Beta AR for $200, I thought I would pull something getting my wallet out.Arc'teryx is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Make sure that you pay $500 for a jacket made in China.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Make sure that you pay $500 for a jacket made in China.

If it's worth it, I'd pay it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Dollar/performance ratio of the condor soft shell is incredible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top