BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/22/2019 12:54:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
In the oil industry?  No, not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I avoid office parties as much as possible. Even when I was in the military I didn't go to them. Too much stupid shit is said and done, and I don't wanna fill out HR paperwork because Jack touched suzies tit when he was drunk and I just happened to see it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have gotten laid at the drunken company Christmas party
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I avoid office parties as much as possible. Even when I was in the military I didn't go to them. Too much stupid shit is said and done, and I don't wanna fill out HR paperwork because Jack touched suzies tit when he was drunk and I just happened to see it.
View Quote
This.  I always show up for the first half an hour or so and make sure the right people see me and then I pull the Irish good night
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol my CEO drove home a metal Fabrication foreman this year because he was too drunk to even get an Uber.

500M revenue company

Every year is a shit show.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Nah, we had our christmas party at a small, hole in the wall bar on friday. I had a few shots of jim beam before I went, but only had 3 beers at the bar. Everyone was drinking, but no one got hammered this year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
They haven't been the since the Nakatomi Plaza Christmas party back in the day..
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
My small company had lunch at a snazzy restaurant. I ordered a steak that cost more than I will ever spend on my own dime. We all had one cocktail but no one got drunk.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  I always show up for the first half an hour or so and make sure the right people see me and then I pull the Irish good night
View Quote
Best way to do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It doesn’t count when you are self-employed
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#12]
They seem to be more or less dead.  I've been to some snoozefests and some real barn burners.  It's best to keep it at a light buzz so you can enjoy the President's secretary getting shitfaced and trying to molest one of the blue collar workers.

Those parties always bring the freaks out.  Most of them are people you'd never suspect.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to work at Fidelity investments. They would have a huge Christmas party at the 4 seasons or the Ritz. Everyone would get fucked up.
It was called by all the "infidelity" paty.

This was 2008.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]
HR has certainly made sure they have.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I work for a private company, no HR department.  We are big proponents of liquid lunches on normal work days, so you can imagine what the Christmas party is like.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have heard the stories but never have been to a fun office party.  Dull and uninteresting, just like work.  Most people are there to suck up to the bosses for promotion and assignment..
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Drunk Christmas parties don't translate well to the "progressive" era.  The perpetually offended and the poundmetooers are a liabilty one simply can not risk if one has anythinf at all to lose.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
getting drunk at a work party is completely unprofessional
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends....ever work at a distillery?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I work in dealerships and the Mrs works in healthcare. Now that bean counters and HR have taken over these industries, the old school parties are dying out.

A regional HealthSouth party and a Lincoln Mercury party still bring a grin to my face when I think of drunken Christmas debauchery
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#21]
We are a decent size company. There are small parties during the day to eat, but the union employee party after hours gets pretty lit. I will only partake in that one to witness the shitshow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
In some professions it’s damn near expected if you’re in attendance, so no...
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends how you act
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My first real job when I was 16 was @ a hotel with fine dining restaurant and banquet facility which was where I worked. The owner was also a real estate broker as well and had his offices co-located on the property. He always threw huge Christmas parties. This year was no exception.

Full buffet with Streamship Round, DJ, and most importantly open bar all night. It was a coat and jacket required event which rivaled any County Club party I have ever worked since. Women in $$$ gowns, men in suits and as a 16 YO kid it was an eye opening experience. Then at the end of the night the cake fight  It was something out of a movie. Adults (40's-50s) dressed to the 9s throwing and smearing and throwing cake on each other.

There was icing ground into he carpet. As people were leaving those employees left standing stayed behind to clean. I was one. They finally had to rent steam cleaners to get the frosting out of the carpet. The owner then stood at the door with a big smile on his face as all the employees left shook each person's hand wished them a Merry Christmas and many received an envelope of cash as well.

The other best drunken Christmas party I attended was when I was a bartender back in the late 80's. The club owner owned 6 bars in the area and would take volunteers from each club to work the party for the other clubs. This was so the club didn't close and the employees could have a good time. C-R-A-Z-Y Whoever had this idea was a madman. A very busy club as it was, suddenly became a open bar for 50 extra employees and guest. Add in the fact the regulars were now able to party legit with the employees who served drinks to them... it was game on. There was so much debauchery happening one couldn't keep up. I lost my girlfriend and gained another the same night. The entire night was a total blur and I do not remember past a certain point as the night rolled well into the next day. Few words were said the next night as enough words just couldn't be said by anyone for anything. Just a lot of laughing, OMGs, and HOLY SHIT!
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#26]
My company doesn't but my wife hosts one for her employees each year.

We drink and play crude card games. It's a good time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Too many drunks, idiots and too much liability from lawsuits.  Its sad how many people can't or won't control their behavior.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#28]
The army definitely still has these.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#29]
The first thing that happens when you drink is you lose your inhibitions.

NEVER lose your inhibitions around the people you work with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I was self employed my entire life. So the drunken Christmas party was just me and my girlfriend.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#31]
The last one I can remember that people really cut loose and drank until they were on their ass (literally) was circa 1991.
In fact one of the managers was so drunk she passed out in the restroom of the commercial building we operated (property management company) and slept most of the night according to her assistant who told me the manager woke up at around 6:30 a.m. that Sunday morning and had to call her to come get her and take her home.
She was eventually fired a few months later and I have no idea if that had any bearing or not.
But most office parties have had the lawyer infusion put in them and are mostly shitty parties that are just boring as hell.
Not that I recommend getting shit faced in front of the people you work with as I myself would never do that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Depends how you act
View Quote
Back in my pre-self-employment days, I always tried to be a benign facilitator of a good office party.

If everyone has a good time - and nobody gets killed, hurt, arrested or does anything they will regret for the rest of their lives - then it's a good office party.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Back in my pre-self-employment days, I always tried to be a benign facilitator of a good office party.

If everyone has a good time - and nobody gets killed, hurt, arrested or does anything they will regret for the rest of their lives - then it's a good office party.
View Quote
That's my Christmas party mission statement.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#34]
As a teacher, they are alive and well in the education sector
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#35]
We have a keg in our office and by default have awesome drunken Christmas parties. Not at work though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Nope, was at one yesterday.... we were tanked by 2pm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The first thing that happens when you drink is you lose your inhibitions.

NEVER lose your inhibitions around the people you work with.
View Quote
Man I’m gonna hate being a civilian
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:04:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm self employed as a vendor at a hospital and get invited every year. There's no way in hell I'm partying with a bunch of OR nurses. Besides, I don't want them to know how much I really drink.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:16:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Worked at a TV station in New Orleans from 1977 till 1994 and the ones we had were of Hollywood quality.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#40]
we had our company "Christmas party" last Thursday. despite most driving company vehicles during paid hours ( was a lunch) most were drinking some, and a couple were visibly wasted.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#41]
When I worked for a cable company we had our Christmas party at a bar/restaurant. One of the younger cable techs got hammered, left the party and was killed in a wreck. I will never forget the phone call from my boss the morning after the party.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
last one I went to with wife #2 about 1990 for her work, she was standing next to me when on of her drunken co workers was dancing and rubbing her ass on my dick, chick had that librarian look with a hot thin bod, I guess I fucked up by not taking her home with us.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Lots of drinking at silicon valley/tech holiday parties.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Last xmas party we had a co worker pulled her pants down after losing a game of darts. That was it for the yearly holiday kegger.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Getting toasted around people with whom you work is fundamentally idiotic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Yup.
Had a couple folks die leaving one.
Was decades ago, but kinda put a damper on things.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Having worked banquet functions for many years I can say the .mil and construction companies generally have the most fighting drunks vs happy drunks. Lawyers are very reserved, Dr.s can be hit or miss depending on how old they are. The self-made money folks are generally the most fun and less fucks to give. Old money it depends, usually they are quite reserved but there is always that guy or that girl.

My last company party was thrown by a Propane company whose newly anointed president aka son was a great guy and liked to have a good time. He threw a open bar party @ his country club that was pretty good. I didn't get hammered but I had a good time. There were a few who planted themselves @ the bar and were trying their best to drink them out of booze just because it was free.

I
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah sadly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm self employed as a vendor at a hospital and get invited every year. There's no way in hell I'm partying with a bunch of OR nurses. Besides, I don't want them to know how much I really drink.
View Quote
Mmmm...

OR nurse party and you are not going?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I work in dealerships and the Mrs works in healthcare. Now that bean counters and HR have taken over these industries, the old school parties are dying out.

A regional HealthSouth party and a Lincoln Mercury party still bring a grin to my face when I think of drunken Christmas debauchery
View Quote
Back in the nineties Ford Motor Credit used to put on some gnarly holiday parties. Like "wake up in a snowbank, where the fuck are my pants, why is there a wad of cash in my underwear, where the hell is my wife, why the fuck is the title clerk handcuffed to an F-250" type of parties.

That shit got crazy.

Can't imagine them still doing that in a #metoo era.

ETA: Was it unprofessional and over the top absurd? Yes.

Did you ever want to get a deal financed again? Yes? Then embrace the stupidity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top