Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas leak

No crater from HE and meth labs dont go off like an atom bomb.   lol

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FTA:  
Indianapolis Fire, Indianapolis Police, the ATF, Homeland Security and other agencies are investigating. A gas leak is suspected but investigators have not yet been able to get close enough to the source to confirm the cause.

The ATF and Homeland Security?

Any suspicions of something other than a gas leak would warrant such a response.

Pretty easy to detect residues of other stuff.

With houses that close together, surprised none of the neighbors smelled anything. Extended exposure to low levels can desensitize the sense of smell, but a house full of natural gas has to be buttoned up pretty tight not to alert someone. Of course a fast leak would not diffuse as quickly.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FTA:  
Indianapolis Fire, Indianapolis Police, the ATF, Homeland Security and other agencies are investigating. A gas leak is suspected but investigators have not yet been able to get close enough to the source to confirm the cause.

The ATF and Homeland Security?

ATF has some of the top fire investigators in the business.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is the occupants were sleeping and died from fumes?  

nobody was home. they dont know where they are, at least thats not reported.

Hmmm

they said a woman and her child were known to be out of town but the "boyfriends" whereabouts are unknown.

watching the news confrence the local fire chief (whomever) says a 2 block radius is uninhabitable.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gas leak

By far the most likely.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Insurance scam?  

Thats one way to get money for your house if it isn't selling.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/11/11/ap-house-explosion-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

they said a woman and her child were known to be out of town but the "boyfriends" whereabouts are unknown.

Comments from the story mention another nearby house that done blowed up after thieves stole the (gas) appliances.

http://www.indystar.com/comments/article/20121110/NEWS/121110035/2-dead-after-explosion-levels-2-homes-damages-18-others-Indianapolis-Southside

More pix

House from same neighborhood for Real Estate comparables

http://www.hometoindy.com/property-search/detail/25/21199023/4024-armada-drive-indianapolis-in-46237/?searchid=345843&detoffset=2&sortby=m.Price DESC

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
it looks from the video that the center house thats gone has a basement.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]

You can tell by the debris field.

What could be more obvious?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy shit!

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
That must have been a hell of a boom.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Shitter's full !
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dont see any basement foundations or basement windows on any other of the houses.

Good, no one on here was injured then!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#16]
When did Glock start building houses?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, that's fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#18]
ammo fort mishap?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ammo fort mishap?

No secondaries.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Next time I bet they buy the damn cookies.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]
You got to be real careful with a charge of Bullseye in a 9mm case.  A little goes a long way, and don't use magnum primers.    

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow!! Prayers for those who were lost.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When did Glock start building houses?

Nice.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#24]
They must be fracking in the area.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]
That's no ordinary explosion.
It would take 100 lbs of tannerite to do that. possibly more.  I guess an entire house full of gas at the perfect maximum % could make a good pop. those are big houses.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#26]
If a line breaks underground It will filter out the odorization of the additive to natural gas.
Nateral gas has no smell so they add a smell to it. You can go into an inclosed space that has been filled with nateral gas and not smell it.
Light a match or the gas hit some other ignition sorce and BOOM.

Edit I should have said can insted of will in my post. I didn't mean it to sound like it will always filter out the odorant
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The debris field looks like the house on the top exploded, not so sure on the lower one as it doesn't have much of a debris field.

There are 3 houses.  Looks like the one in the middle got blown up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Same thing happened in Allentown PA last year. Some type of gas leak.

notice how the fourth house is GONE

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
We had a similar explosion in Knoxville, TN almost 3 years ago.

House filled dull of gas and then a light switch was flipped and then boom!

I was about 3 miles away and thought a plane had crashed.

Two survived and one died. The cause has yet to be pinpointed.

Check out the pics.

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2009/dec/09/aerial-shots-wittington-creek-home/16615/#section_header

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Check out the pics.

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/galleries/2009/dec/09/aerial-shots-wittington-creek-home/16615/#section_header

That was a brick house too, if I remember right.  Like a 2,000sf grenade going off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuckin Section 8'ers...
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If a line breaks underground It will filter out the odorization of the additive to natural gas.
Nateral gas has no smell so they add a smell to it. You can go into an inclosed space that has been filled with nateral gas and not smell it.

Do not post about what you don't have the slightest clue about. The only thing you have correct is that NG has no odor by itself.

Really not trying to be an ass but I've walked by literally hundreds of underground leaks and smelled it, then went back and did a bar check to verify and check the leak spread and percentage of gas and in an enclosed room, you can certainly smell it. Mercaptan  is the odorant and about one drop is enough to odorize the typical house use for a year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Goddamn!

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
So that's what scared the crap out me last night thinking it was WWIII!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the pics.

That was a brick house too, if I remember right.  Like a 2,000sf grenade going off.

Not really a brick construction, just a brick facade on ordinary construction.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it wrong that I snickered at the for sale sign?

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Apparently it was a gas leak.

At least 2 confirmed dead.

Gas main? That's got to be more than just a water heater or furnace leaking unless it was deliberate.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Natural gas has no smell so they add a smell to it. You can go into an enclosed space that has been filled with natural gas and not smell it.
Light a match or the gas hit some other ignition source and BOOM.

Do not post about what you don't have the slightest clue about. The only thing you have correct is that NG has no odor by itself.

Really not trying to be an ass but I've walked by literally hundreds of underground leaks and smelled it, then went back and did a bar check to verify and check the leak spread and percentage of gas and in an enclosed room, you can certainly smell it. Mercaptan  is the odorant and about one drop is enough to odorize the typical house use for a year.

Well I've only been doing hvac for 18 years and we are who the gas company calls when they have a gas leak in a house. A few years ago we had a house blow up in our city due to just that.
Gas line got busted by utility repairing water line. Gas leaked into the basement of a house through the ground wich filtered out the smell. The gas company came to relight the lady's pilot and boom two killed no odor was pressent.
Next time you go under ground on a possable gas leak you may want to  rely on your tester rather then your big nose.

boom

read more post less

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy shit...

Where is the Google Street View?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Holy shit...

Where is the Google Street View?

The street view will be a before picture, since those pictures are archived and only updated when they take new photos. I think someone posted the street view location earlier in the thread.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#42]
26 homes condemned .... Damn.  

What happens?  Do the structures studs roof etc get cracked by the force of the explosion?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Stop posting for fucks sake. Stick to your HVAC and let us deal with the NG.

Good grief..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief..

read more post less

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Its about 6 miles from my parents house and they heard the explosion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Natural gas has no smell so they add a smell to it. You can go into an enclosed space that has been filled with natural gas and not smell it.
Light a match or the gas hit some other ignition source and BOOM.

Well I've only been doing hvac for 18 years and we are who the gas company calls when they have a gas leak in a house. A few years ago we had a house blow up in our city due to just that.
Gas line got busted by utility repairing water line. Gas leaked into the basement of a house through the ground wich filtered out the smell. The gas company came to relight the lady's pilot and boom two killed no odor was pressent.
Next time you go under ground on a possable gas leak you may want to  rely on your tester rather then your big nose.

boom

What utility company calls privately owned HVAC companies to look for leaks inside on the initial gas leak call? It is federal/state regs that any utility/company selling NG/Propane must respond to leak calls. [many try to pawn them off as it costs money to respond and maintain leak detector equipment and document same] Now, technically [as you likely know] a company can verify the leak is on the customers side and have the property owner be responsible to call another business to find and repair the leak once it is made safe. I've just never heard of a utility actually calling a HVAC company to actually respond to a leak call [usually has a maximum time to respond or it must be documented as to why it took longer] or to do the repairs as it's not their property past the reg or meter. We usually find the leak  inside [unless the customer is a real jerk] and tag it depending on severity as needs repair or dangerous and shut either the line down before the leak if at all possible or at the meter if that is what needs to be done.

I'm really just curious as that is not the way we do it in my State. Do you have to test, track, and certify your detector equipment for accuracy as required by law as we do? How do you certify on the fed level as far as testing?

FWIW, 25+ years, cert lead linesman A, A service worker, HVAC, White good repair on gas and elec, piping, walk survey, cathodic, gas emer response, ect.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief..

read more post less

Keep posting links. It doesn't change the fact that your post about odorant being filtered out is bs.

But I'm sure the hvac tech knows more about my industry than me.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That must have been a hell of a boom.  

It was. I live about a half mile away.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Insurance scam?  

They call it "......... lightning"...
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#50]
So stop posting links with facts
You must be a union gas company employee so I will just save you the time and post part of the link.
"If a gas leak occurs in underground piping, the surrounding soil or fresh concrete can absorb or oxidize the odorant so that the gas no longer has an odor. As a result, gas leaking from an underground pipe may not be detectable by smell."

In my area the The gas company comes out if a customer calls. The gas company sends a guy with a detector who then most of the time will just say they detected something and shut off the gas.
Then they tag the meter out and tell the customer to call a contractor to come out and find and repair leaks.
We come out find and repair any leaks and wait for the gas company to come back out and clock meter and recheck with a detector. If all good gas gets turned back on.
You seem to look down on the common working tradesman so what do you do for a living any way.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top