Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just amazed anyone lived through that
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
NTSB link

"On January 5, 2014, at 1222 mountain standard time, a Bombardier CL-600-2B16, N115WF, impacted the runway while attempting to land on Runway 15 at Aspen-Pitkin County Airport/Sardy Field (KASE), Aspen, Colorado. There were two crewmembers and a passenger onboard. One crewmember was fatally injured; the other crewmember and passenger received serious injuries. The airplane was destroyed. The airplane was registered to the Bank of Utah Trustee and operated by Vineland Corporation Company, Panama, South America under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which operated on an instrument flight rules flight plan. The flight originated from Tucson International Airport (KTUS), Tucson, Arizona, at 1004.

According to preliminary information from the Federal Aviation Administration, the flight was in radio contact with ASE air traffic control (ATC). At 1210, N115WF utilized the localizer DME-E approach into KASE. ASE ATC reported winds as 290º at 19 knots, with winds gusting to 25 knots to the crew before landing. The crew executed a missed approach, and then requested to be vectored for a second attempt. On the second landing attempt N115WF briefly touched down on the runway, then bounced into the air and descended rapidly impacting with the ground at midfield. No further communications were received by ASE ATC from the accident airplane.

At 1220, the KASE automated surface observation system (ASOS) reported the following weather conditions: wind from 320° true at 14 knots gusting to 25 knots, wind variable from 280° to 360, visibility 10 miles in haze, scattered clouds at 4,700 feet above ground level, ceiling broken at 6,000 feet, temperature -12° Celsius (C), dew point temperature -21° C, altimeter 30.07 inches of mercury. The remarks indicated a peak wind from 320° at 26 knots occurred at 1204.

The KASE ASOS one-minute data at the time of the accident reported the wind at 333º true at 14 knots gusting to 17 knots.

The cockpit voice recorder, flight data recorder, and Enhanced Ground Proximity System were recovered."
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting that they apparently violated the tailwind allowances.   Assuming that they had no choice but to land.   The winds were reported at 14 gusting 25 from the audio link.

Would your approach speed be increased about 20 knots because of the tailwind?

Then add that 20 knots with the 20 knots of increased ground speed from the wind and your approach speed would be 40 knots higher than normal.  Correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. These guys screwed themselves from the get-go. What would have been preferable is them having never left the MDA to conduct a highly illegal approach.

Interesting that they apparently violated the tailwind allowances.   Assuming that they had no choice but to land.   The winds were reported at 14 gusting 25 from the audio link.

Then add that 20 knots with the 20 knots of increased ground speed from the wind and your approach speed would be 40 knots higher than normal.  Correct?

No. Approach speed is only dictated by aircraft weight and configuration (flap setting). The tailwind simply increases your groundspeed. A popular saying in aviation is that a tailwind on landing hurts you twice as much as a headwind helps you. A thirty knot tailwind would hurt... a lot. If I had any of my old manuals handy I could give you some idea of what the required runway would be to bring that plane to a stop in such conditions. I would liken it to a space shuttle landing but that type of hyperbole make some here uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you don't know anything about airplanes, all small jets are Leer. Kinda like Kleenex and Xerox.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a Challenger 600, not a Learjet.

this.

Details... who needs 'em.

"The Challenger 600 began as Bill Lear’s LearStar 600 intercontinental tri-jet design. The rights to the project were purchased by Canadair Ltd in 1976, and the CL-600 went through a difficult period of development as it evolved into the twin turbofan Challenger."

Not too far off the mark.  

If you don't know anything about airplanes, all small jets are Leer. Kinda like Kleenex and Xerox.

Leer did the initial design, it was bought, refined, and brought to market by another company.  Very common in aviation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To keep from jacking this thread, I discussed in this thread a while back (about 1/3 down page):

Airline Horror Stories
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or google United 173.  I was on that flight.  

"Check the fuel level?  Ain't nobody got time for that...."

Out of left fucking field. How old were you and do you remember it?

To keep from jacking this thread, I discussed in this thread a while back (about 1/3 down page):

Airline Horror Stories

Judging from the crash pictures, I think you won that particular thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like he bounces 3 times 2:10, 2:13 and the big one at 2:15.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IIRC it was not a nighttime crash either.  around noon I believe.

Not that it matters
View Quote

Well, it matters some.
My apologies, BillofRights. I was under the mistaken idea this happened at night.
I still think those guys acted incredibly foolishly but BillofRights is correct that you oughta be able to bounce off the runway and fly it off clear of the granite so long as you've got the visibility. Daytime in those conditions should have been good enough.
I'd still love to see what kind of runway would have been required for a flap zero landing at 8000' msl just to get an idea of what these guys would have used up had they stuck the landing properly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No. Approach speed is only dictated by aircraft weight and configuration (flap setting). The tailwind simply increases your groundspeed. A popular saying in aviation is that a tailwind on landing hurts you twice as much as a headwind helps you. A thirty knot tailwind would hurt... a lot. If I had any of my old manuals handy I could give you some idea of what the required runway would be to bring that plane to a stop in such conditions. I would liken it to a space shuttle landing but that type of hyperbole make some here uncomfortable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. These guys screwed themselves from the get-go. What would have been preferable is them having never left the MDA to conduct a highly illegal approach.

Limitation in the AFM is 10 knots of tailwind.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me see if I've got this straight:

A private jet, owned by the Bank of Utah, being flown from Mexico, by Mexican nationals, attempts to land at Aspen airport in spite of highly unfavorable conditions. .

A suspicious person might say that the pilot felt that something HAD to be delivered---or picked up. . . .
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A private jet, owned by the Bank of Utah, being flown from Mexico, by Mexican nationals, attempts to land at Aspen airport in spite of highly unfavorable conditions. .

A suspicious person might say that the pilot felt that something HAD to be delivered---or picked up. . . .
View Quote
A very large number of business jets are owned by the bank because they are leased.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd still love to see what kind of runway would have been required for a flap zero landing at 8000' msl just to get an idea of what these guys would have used up had they stuck the landing properly.
View Quote

I get a density altitude of 6285 feet using the info in the NTSB report above and this calculator.

Density altitude
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ran some numbers. To land with 10 knots of tailwind in those weather conditions at Aspen requires 4084 ft of runway.  The problem is I basically need to be out of fuel to get my software to take it because of climb requirements.  With the worst case from the NTSB prelim report of 26 knots there is no way to make it work, because there aren't any performance  numbers for that scenario.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, those Flight Options guys are stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice pic.  I'm telling you how it actually is, flying jets, into Aspen.     It's what I did for a living just prior to my current job.  

FLOPS, IIRC, made the change that departures from and arrivals to ASE had to be made 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour prior to sundown, to accommodate the fact that even during daylight hours, twilight ambient light wasn't enough to operate safely by.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
There are old pilots and bold pilots, never old bold pilots. I planning on being a old pilot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A very large number of business jets are owned by the bank because they are leased.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excuse my ignorance---so they are leased BY the banks, or FROM the banks?

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Bank=lessor, operator=lessee
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FLOPS, IIRC, made the change that departures from and arrivals to ASE had to be made 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour prior to sundown, to accommodate the fact that even during daylight hours, twilight ambient light wasn't enough to operate safely by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice pic.  I'm telling you how it actually is, flying jets, into Aspen.     It's what I did for a living just prior to my current job.  

Yeah, that was the rule I had to comply with 12 years ago. It gets dark in that valley quick.

On a side note... Any of you guys that operated in and out of there remember what catering cost? I picked up 6 passengers once and had 6 steak sandwiches, 6 small salads and 6 bags of chips and I swear to god the catering cost more than my fuel. It was about $100/passenger. They didn't even order drinks as the aircraft was fully stocked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, that was the rule I had to comply with 12 years ago. It gets dark in that valley quick.

On a side note... Any of you guys that operated in and out of there remember what catering cost? I picked up 6 passengers once and had 6 steak sandwiches, 6 small salads and 6 bags of chips and I swear to god the catering cost more than my fuel. It was about $100/passenger. They didn't even order drinks as the aircraft was fully stocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The billionaires drove the millionaires out of Aspen even before I lived there...

.....in 1992
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are old pilots and bold pilots, never old bold pilots. I planning on being a old pilot.
View Quote

And this becomes truer the older I get. I don't heel like I used to
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh for fuck's sake, like that has fuck all to do with fuck all.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just crashing jets Americans won't crash.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/05/aspen-plane-crash_n_4546029.html

Three souls on board; I am amazed only one fatality and two injured.

Flight originated in Mexico.  All three on board were pilots and Mexican nationals. The plane was owned by the Bank of Utah.

I wonder where all the rabbit holes lead.

Oh for fuck's sake, like that has fuck all to do with fuck all.  

This is GD.  By page 5 they will be  CIA pilots flying in a load of mind control chips.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lolz.  All to true.    I aquired food for hundreds trips, but I only used the word "Catering" ...One time.  

Lesson learned.  "Catering" is a CTD -900% discount over "Takeout".

The sammiches at the little shop there are about 10 bucks each, expensive, but worth every penny.  
My bosses appreciated me being frugal, but I never got a cheap bastid bonus, come to think of it.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

After 3 aborted landings, I'm calling it and heading to my alternate. Hell I've bailed on a landing after 2 attempts due to weather.
View Quote
PUSSY
In your avatar that is.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love it how there were a bunch a people just standing around on the side of the runway with their hands in the pockets doing nothing to help. The one guy on the left kicks something and just stands there.
View Quote

It looked to me like someone started to run then slid a few feet on ice. I'm pretty sure one of the rules in helping victims is to avoid becoming an additional casualty.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PUSSY

In your avatar that is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After 3 aborted landings, I'm calling it and heading to my alternate. Hell I've bailed on a landing after 2 attempts due to weather.
PUSSY

In your avatar that is.

Why yes, yes I am and the avatar too
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes and yes.  I'm typed in the Challenger 601 and currently am employed flying one.  A coworker has a few thousand hours in that very airplane.  The ground spoilers on the 601 will deploy when in the armed position with both thrust levers at idle and one of two following conditions satisfied; weight on wheels in ground mode or wheel spin up beyond 35 knots.  If you bounce a landing those spoilers will deploy and remained deployed until the thrust levers are advanced, or the wheels slow down to less 35 knots with the airplane airborne.

I'm of the opinion based on my limited viewing that the airplane stalled.  When this aircraft aerodynamically stalls it is unrecoverable.  The Canadian government didn't even want to certify it based upon stall characteristics. The aircraft is equipped with a stick shaker that vibrates the yoke when approaching a stall.  Go further and a stick pusher activates.  This system uses a motor hooked to the controls to force the nose down to prevent the airplane from actually reaching an aerodynamic stall.  I believe the abrupt nose down was the stick pusher activating. That close to the ground, you are pretty much hosed.  

Had the aircraft stalled it almost certainly would've dropped a wing.  The wings are very unlikely to stall simultaneously in this airplane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the IR footage, it appears the pilot applied power after touching down, and was making significant power during the bounce.

Those acft have ground spoilers for landing, could they have been deployed during the initial ground contact and still out during the bounce?
Yes and yes.  I'm typed in the Challenger 601 and currently am employed flying one.  A coworker has a few thousand hours in that very airplane.  The ground spoilers on the 601 will deploy when in the armed position with both thrust levers at idle and one of two following conditions satisfied; weight on wheels in ground mode or wheel spin up beyond 35 knots.  If you bounce a landing those spoilers will deploy and remained deployed until the thrust levers are advanced, or the wheels slow down to less 35 knots with the airplane airborne.

I'm of the opinion based on my limited viewing that the airplane stalled.  When this aircraft aerodynamically stalls it is unrecoverable.  The Canadian government didn't even want to certify it based upon stall characteristics. The aircraft is equipped with a stick shaker that vibrates the yoke when approaching a stall.  Go further and a stick pusher activates.  This system uses a motor hooked to the controls to force the nose down to prevent the airplane from actually reaching an aerodynamic stall.  I believe the abrupt nose down was the stick pusher activating. That close to the ground, you are pretty much hosed.  

Had the aircraft stalled it almost certainly would've dropped a wing.  The wings are very unlikely to stall simultaneously in this airplane.

That's just the type of automation and idiot proofing that greatly concerns me.

The more you take out of the pilot's hands the worse (IMO)

Same with that automatic braking in cars.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It appears he tried to force it down, bounced, and then made the 2nd critical mistake ......... continuing to try and force it down.
View Quote

This.. under pressure to complete it after several aborts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After the bounce it looked like a jet-propelled rock the way the ass pitched up.
View Quote

That's pretty much what it was at that point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ran some numbers. To land with 10 knots of tailwind in those weather conditions at Aspen requires 4084 ft of runway.  The problem is I basically need to be out of fuel to get my software to take it because of climb requirements.  With the worst case from the NTSB prelim report of 26 knots there is no way to make it work, because there aren't any performance  numbers for that scenario.

I'm curious if, (not knowing where the jet was arriving from), with the several missed approaches he was close to fuel minimums and may have thought he really had to land.

The 'stick pusher' explanation would sure jive with the nose down attitude after the 'bounce'.

Bad situation anyway.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Bank=lessor, operator=lessee
View Quote
Ok. . .so who was the lessee?

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking at the IR footage, it appears the pilot applied power after touching down, and was making significant power during the bounce.

Those acft have ground spoilers for landing, could they have been deployed during the initial ground contact and still out during the bounce?

In this case the stick pusher is required for the airplane to be certified by the faa. Without out, it never would've been produced. If the stick pusher fires, the airplane was in imminent danger of stalling. Had it stalled at that attitude, it almost certainly would've dropped a wing and cartwheeled. In that scenario I'd imagine everyone dies.  Better to hit upright if you have to hit. Once it happened, the airplane was crashing. The only question was what attitude it would be in when it contacted.

The stall characteristics of a high speed wing are not within the realm of human ability to control without some other aids. The pusher is a last ditch attempt by the aircraft to save itself from woeful mishandling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Stalling at 50-200 feet altitude is not going to end well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flight Options has one of the most conservative/restrictive set of self imposed rules to flying into and out of ASE (higher landing and approach minimums, day time ops only, one way in & one way out, etc). It's no surprise that FO has the best incident statistics of all the large fractional airlines (according to the NTSB database at least). I would imagine FlexJet & NetJets rules are very similar though.  

However, those are self imposed rules not FAA requirements. Pretty much every small charter operator I ever ran into in all my decades of flying doesn't operate that way. No offense to the few that do.

The Gulfstream accident a few years ago is a good example of that.

Some pax and scheduling departments like to be pushy. It's up to the flight crew to say 'no' when it needs saying. That might not always come across well, even if done in a professional and friendly manner. After all the pilot is perhaps the first one in the last 6 months to say 'no' to Mr Bigshot.

Late beats dead but that's just mho.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Okay, so I hopped on FSX last night, fired-up the Lear45 and did a short night flight from APA to ASE. Stayed-up too high for too long, came in hot, landed-long, and skidded-off the end of 15. Knew I should have done a go-around, but it was bedtime and I just wanted to end the flight come what may. I think I'll try a day flight for my 2nd attempt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Okay, so I hopped on FSX last night, fired-up the Lear45 and did a short night flight from APA to ASE. Stayed-up too high for too long, came in hot, landed-long, and skidded-off the end of 15. Knew I should have done a go-around, but it was bedtime and I just wanted to end the flight come what may. I think I'll try a day flight for my 2nd attempt.
View Quote

Cross HBU at 14000' fully configured at VRef+10. Start a 10 degree GS and drive on in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cross HBU at 14000' fully configured at VRef+10. Start a 10 degree GS and drive on in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that. Will do that tonight!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its Red Table, not Blue Mesa. DBL.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top