Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate to be the one to point it out, but given the population's relative average intelligence they could have the best teachers and most involved parents and resources and still reach the same results. The population may just be stupid.

It's not a matter of race.  If you took ANY group/color/ethnicity/... and had the bottom % of that population stuck in a confined area and then accelerate its insulated breeding by removing the natural penalties of single motherhood and bastards, and then compound it over 2 to 3 generations by having anyone in that crappy group that shows any frigging potential leave the group (move, or get scholarships to private or choice schools) and the resulting group will be the bottom of the bottom performers compared to the rest of society.

The school and teachers and parental support could be complete crap too, but don't overlook an overall population issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can't throw any more money at teachers or schools when you are spending more than most of the USA per kid.
View Quote
Superintendant - "Hold my latte and watch this..."
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Time to lower the standards
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The mat test questions are simply ill phrased::

1) If you have 2 bags of coke and sell one for $2000 and then someone wants to buy the second bag, how much should you charge?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Last year I went to a Doctor's appointment.  My co-pay was $12.  I handed the young lady a $20 bill.  She looked at it with an obviously confused look and opened a drawer for a calculator.

I told her "$8".  She replied, "I have to be sure"..

We are doomed.

This was in NV.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?
It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
+1 on it being a cultural issue.   There is zip for parental involvement also.   My wife's former schools would offer pizza and cokes for parent/teacher conference day.  She would get one or two parents to show up for 30-35 kids in her class.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The mat test questions are simply ill phrased::

1) If you have 2 bags of coke and sell one for $2000 and then someone wants to buy the second bag, how much should you charge?
View Quote
The Wire - Maths in the book and on the street
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not the schools, it's the students
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Public school funding has been a heated debate in Arizona lately.
The teachers recently went on strike for a week, holding the students and taxpayers hostage in the process.

Anyway, Arizona is towards the bottom (of all 50 states) in dollars-per-student spent, yet rates well above average in proficiency scores.

Huh.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Being able to do math is "acting white" and is frowned upon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
In case it hasn't been said, and in case no one understands, that's the desired outcome. Those students will be dependent, and therefore reliable Democratic voters until the day they die.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
+1 on it being a cultural issue.   There is zip for parental involvement also.   My wife's former schools would offer pizza and cokes for parent/teacher conference day.  She would get one or two parents to show up for 30-35 kids in her class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?

Lack of parental involvement is the #1, #2, and #3 problems.

Some teachers do suck but the parents suck more....and in inner city schools they suck WAY more.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Public school funding has been a heated debate in Arizona lately.
The teachers recently went on strike for a week, holding the students and taxpayers hostage in the process.

Anyway, Arizona is towards the bottom (of all 50 states) in dollars-per-student spent, yet rates well above average in proficiency scores.

Huh.
View Quote
Same with Utah. We have a lot of high achieving students. I wonder why?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess the only purpose of schools in Baltimore is child care.
View Quote
Pretty sure they're failing at that, too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Won't help.  Private schools in Baltimore would have to kowtow to the same broke-ass dipshit social "norms" as the public schools and would then fail for all the same reasons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate to be the one to point it out, but given the population's relative average intelligence they could have the best teachers and most involved parents and resources and still reach the same results. The population may just be stupid.

It's not a matter of race.  If you took ANY group/color/ethnicity/... and had the bottom % of that population stuck in a confined area and then accelerate its insulated breeding by removing the natural penalties of single motherhood and bastards, and then compound it over 2 to 3 generations by having anyone in that crappy group that shows any frigging potential leave the group (move, or get scholarships to private or choice schools) and the resulting group will be the bottom of the bottom performers compared to the rest of society.

The school and teachers and parental support could be complete crap too, but don't overlook an overall population issue.
View Quote
You are absolutely correct, especially that part in bold, and it does not get said enough..

That won't stop somebody from calling you a racist, a eugenicist, a Nazi, etc., though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Years ago I read a news story and they cited the School Districts where they spent the most per child ( D.C. / Baltimore) the kids performed the worst.

Then some district in Iowa where they spent the least per child they actually performed at the very top.

We all know why that is, it's obvious. It's just racist to say so.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Prezbo needs to get his shit together if they can't remember anything a year later.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just have Prezbo rewrite the questions to be about the count or the EBT.

Kharn
View Quote
I was hoping I got the first Prezbo reference in, but I was beat like a rented mule
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Perhaps you can't read. When your son is getting 90s to 100s on all homework, it suggests he knows wtf he's doing, on top of the fact both are always in advanced, Honors, AP classes. You can shove "you also failed your son by not providing any help when you saw him struggling" straight up your ass. You are in no position to judge, and have no idea wtf you're talking about.
View Quote
"When you're taking flak, you're right over the target."

So, I assume once you saw that your son was struggling, you took 3 hours a week to sit down and work with him on his homework?  To help prepare him for the unit tests?  Maybe daily check ins around the supper table to just ask how class went and if there was anything he didn't understand?

You specifically said in your post that he was not receiving any help at home.  Not that you are alone in that regards (most parents are the same way) bu that is a huge problem in our education system.  Even the best, smartest students struggle with things from time to time.  They need active support at home.

Hopefully you take some responsibility for this.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL Good
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My cousin taught at a lower income school, even though it was a good school district, then transferred to a school in a different district in an area that was upper middle class.  She wished she could have sent her excess supplies to her old coworkers because ALL of her parents at the new school were bringing in the requested supplies, they were ALL showing up for conferences, and they were ALL keeping up with their child's progress in school.  Very high percentage of Indians where she is now, the children of H1B's and immigrants.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
It's racism.  The poor schools need more money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
...then how'd they determine the number was 13?
View Quote
Because 13 be the number counted and the number of the counting be thirteen. Once the number 13 being the 13th number be reached, neither shalt thou continue on to 14.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]
The list of things one could blame this on is;

Teachers
Parenting
Culture
Breeding

I’ll let you pick 3
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The world needs ditch diggers and crop pickers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets its. Does anyone wanna guess what percentage of the students don't have a father in the home?

The best teachers and all the money in the world won't fix that problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The world needs ditch diggers and crop pickers.
View Quote
But AmeriKans don't do those jobs,

Besides, we need the crops picked correctly.........
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because 13 be the number counted and the number of the counting be thirteen. Once the number 13 being the 13th number be reached, neither shalt thou continue on to 14.
View Quote
15 is right out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
it may be all on purpose, if you keep the population dumb, then it is very easy for the politicians
to manipulate the masses into thinking one way or the other
easy to brainwash into thinking they are being had, and then demanding more money from the budget
to be spread among the grifters in gov
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But AmeriKans don't do those jobs,

Besides, we need the crops picked correctly.........
View Quote
Clearly black people can be trained for agricultural jobs.  Here in Canada we bring in thousands every year from the caribean to pick crops seasonally. Then they go home.  Why not give these jobs to the locals instead?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#33]
So how can they count how many Illegitimate Babies that they have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]
End school shootings - abolish public schools. Online learning, private tutors, parents, and private schools can handle education. Offer an online highschool-certification exam children can take at any age to catch those who slip through the cracks.

Middle-management fiefdoms may take a hit if women stop outsourcing childcare to the government, but I doubt productivity will.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are absolutely correct, especially that part in bold, and it does not get said enough..

That won't stop somebody from calling you a racist, a eugenicist, a Nazi, etc., though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People like to yell at posts like his being racist, or to point at blacks.

But the scary thing is, the urban African American community were just early adopters to what everybody else is now doing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#36]
First post again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]
What the Democrats did to black Americans is insidious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
common core math

2 + 2 =   7

close enough  ...  do you feel good  about answering it.   here's a trophy
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link to original web site - Daily Wire

Peak 2017: Math Is Now Racist

Math education is “unjust and grounded in a legacy of institutional discrimination"

ByAmanda Prestigiacomo
?@amandapresto

August 23, 2017

It's finally happened, guys. Math is now racist.

National mathematics organizations have come out to complain that math education is “unjust and grounded in a legacy of institutional discrimination," reports Campus Reform.

In a joint statement released last year, two organizations, TODOS: Mathematics for All and the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM) said "social justice" is "a key priority in the access to, engagement with, and advancement in mathematics education for our country’s youth.”

"[A] social justice stance interrogates and challenges the roles power, privilege, and oppression play in the current unjust system of mathematics education — and in society as a whole," reads the lengthy missive.

NCSM and TODOS went on to assert that, historically, math has perpetuated "segregation and separation" since "mathematics achievement, often measured by standardized tests, has been used as a gate-keeping tool to sort and rank students by race, class, and gender starting in elementary school.”

"Citing the practice of 'tracking,'" notes Campus Reform, "in which pupils are sorted by academic ability into groups for certain classes, NCSM and TODOS argue that 'historically, mathematics and the perceived ability to learn mathematics have been used to educate children into different societal roles such as leadership/ruling class and labor/working class leading to segregation and separation.'"

The statement continues, lamenting the notion that students must "master the basics" before tackling complex problems:

In practice, children placed in “low” groups experience mathematics as an isolating act consisting of fact-driven low cognitive demand tasks and an absence of mathematics discourse opportunities. This is because of a pervasive misguided belief that students must “master the basics” (e.g., know the times tables or “basic facts”) prior to engaging with complex problems solving.

NCSM and TODOS are also deeply concerned about white teachers in classrooms comprised of mostly minority and immigrant students.

"The groups also bemoan the 'white and middle class' workforce of math teachers, fretting that it may not appropriately 'reflect' the demographics of the communities in which they teach, such as immigrant or racial minority communities," notes Campus Reform. "Social justice could be the key to solving these issues, they say, calling on math teachers to assume a 'social justice stance' that 'challenges the roles power, privilege, and oppression play in the current unjust system of mathematics.'"

Addressing the grievances listed in their statement, the organizations plan on hosting a free webinar, opening to the public a hearing called "A Call for a Collective Action to Develop Awareness: Equity and Social Justice in Mathematics Education.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, math IS racist.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"When you're taking flak, you're right over the target."

So, I assume once you saw that your son was struggling, you took 3 hours a week to sit down and work with him on his homework?  To help prepare him for the unit tests?  Maybe daily check ins around the supper table to just ask how class went and if there was anything he didn't understand?

You specifically said in your post that he was not receiving any help at home.  Not that you are alone in that regards (most parents are the same way) bu that is a huge problem in our education system.  Even the best, smartest students struggle with things from time to time.  They need active support at home.

Hopefully you take some responsibility for this.
View Quote
PSA: It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Son 1 - GPA = 4.0156

Son 2 (with the shit teacher) - GPA = 3.2830, and on Honor Roll currently.

State graduation GPA requirement of 2.0. Both should finish their Senior year early, next school season.

Like I said, you don't know WTF you're talking about, and I'm sure its not the 1st time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
you just need to give them math they can relate to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#43]
No one is really shocked though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I believe, therefore, that the true centre of correlation of the school subjects is not science, nor literature, nor history, nor geography, but the child's own social activities.

I believe that education cannot be unified in the study of science, or so-called nature study, because apart from human activity, nature itself is not a unity; nature in itself is a number of diverse objects in space and time, and to attempt to make it the centre of work by itself, is to introduce a principle of radiation rather than one of concentration.

I believe that literature is the reflex expression and interpretation of social experience; that hence it must follow upon and not precede such experience. It, therefore, cannot be made the basis, although it may be made the summary of unification.  - John Dewey, father of the modern progressive schooling system
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea but that is raycieist so... well... we need mo' money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#46]
We need to have the Abacus in math class, the East Asians do it and they are some of the most math proficient people on the planet
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Let's give it up for those teachers!  Make sure you raise their pay next year.  Woot!

What a noble profession.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Some hard questions need to be asked.......I don’t think society is prepared to ask them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Math proficiency is just another white privilege and is racist

I have a calculator on my Obama phone so why do I need to know math?

The McDonald's register adds for me, I don't no math skills.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't throw the schools/teachers under the bus just yet.
Students in high school go through the education system for 12 years.
This problem is likely deeper than just ineffective teachers.
You need students who want to learn.
You need students with families that value education.
Where are these students coming from?

This is an opportunity to throw this on the liberals in the country.
Liberal policies have now shown their long term harm.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top