BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Protect your retirement assets and get rid of debt. Then move to Florida.

Medical really does kill you financially when you get older. I know people who retired early [before medicare] had one medical issue and are now financially in the red for the foreseeable future. All their planning has been tossed into the trash. Most of them are just blue collars, saved decently but didn't realize just how much a bout with cancer can wipe out 30 years of saving and investing.
View Quote
Yep. Someone will show up and tell you they didn’t work hard enough and screw them for retiring early.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
LOL.  Why do you think her heirs' estates are relevant here?  Is reading always this difficult for you?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

Quoted:

Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
She was eligible, but for some reason, she never signed up for Medicare.  
Actually, it will work exactly like that in this case.  The bills will be taken from her estate.  Therefore her family will pay those $100k+ medical bills.  
They will come from HER estate, the family members will not pay these bills from THEIR estates. If her estate does not cover the expenses the family does not pay for the bills out of pocket.  
LOL.  Why do you think her heirs' estates are relevant here?  Is reading always this difficult for you?  
It is not the heirs until the lean is gone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The crybaby millennial  imbeciles who are saddled with crippling student loan debt aren't "victims" of anyone or anything other than their own stupidity and lack of employable skills.

The poor dears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So let me get this straight... The Boomer generation saddles millennials with crippling student loan debt, makes it illegal to declare bankruptcy on this debt, then declares bankruptcy themselves?
The crybaby millennial  imbeciles who are saddled with crippling student loan debt aren't "victims" of anyone or anything other than their own stupidity and lack of employable skills.

The poor dears.
Yep.  I got a BSME with only 30k in loans that I aggressively paid off before I was 30.

Engineering degree so it's somewhat more marketable than underwater basket weaving
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
What do you mean by "the lean"?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
When baby boomers post about how someone was "raiding" social security they expose what a loose and ill informed grasp they had on financial planning in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 3m in insurance that converts from term to permanent (with all premiums waived) through northwestern mutual until age 80 if I am affected by a long term disability including cancer. The premiums are not crazy. My wife has the same. We have good planning in place for our assets. We will not be screwed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another thing, if you are over 60 and still owe on a mortgage you are a retard. I know one guy in his  60's and has two house payments
View Quote
It's called a tax deduction. The banks money doesn't start costing more money than my investments make simply because I'm over 60. Why the fuck would I want to quit making money?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep.  I got a BSME with only 30k in loans that I aggressively paid off before I was 30.

Engineering degree so it's somewhat more marketable than underwater basket weaving
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So let me get this straight... The Boomer generation saddles millennials with crippling student loan debt, makes it illegal to declare bankruptcy on this debt, then declares bankruptcy themselves?

The poor dears.

My son went to a very inexpensive state university, I mean really inexpensive.

I'd put his tuition for each semester on my credit card and paid it off when the bills came in at the end of the month.

The most expensive part was his living expenses, lodging, and meals and they were very affordable; he also got a job while at school and earned far more than his tuition.

He's parlayed that inexpensive  education into an extraordinarily well paying career.

My daughter attended a state college to which she commuted every day and her tuition was literally peanuts and it also got charged to my credit card and paid off immediately.

She currently  travels the globe for her employer as one of the top people in her industry.

Suckers who opt for extraordinarily expensive, but useless,  college degrees and in doing so, saddle themselves with hideous debt, have only themselves to blame.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd put his tuition for each semester on my credit card and paid it off when the bills came in at the end of the month.

The most expensive part was his living expenses, lodging, and meals and they were very affordable; he also got a job while at school and earned far more than his tuition.

He's parlayed that inexpensive  education into an extraordinarily well paying career.

My daughter attended a state college to which she commuted every day and her tuition was literally peanuts and it also got charged to my credit card and paid off immediately.

She currently  travels the globe for her employer as one of the top people in her industry.

Suckers who opt for extraordinarily expensive, but useless,  college degrees and in doing so, saddle themselves with hideous debt, have only themselves to blame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What’s “peanuts” to you? Average in state tuition for public universities is about $14k a year, Private is around $26k a year. That’s just the basic cost.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree with much of what you said but you make it sound like it’s that easy and everyone else is dumb, like no one else has figured some secret out.

Quoted:
I have 3m in insurance that converts from term to permanent (with all premiums waived) through northwestern mutual until age 80 if I am affected by a long term disability including cancer. The premiums are not crazy. My wife has the same. We have good planning in place for our assets. We will not be screwed.
Sounds like it’s a universal or whole life policy; not a term.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not much going on with Gen X?   Must be too busy working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love baby boomer and millennial threads.

This one will be juicy.
Not much going on with Gen X?   Must be too busy working.
I know I am too busy working
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd be highly skeptical about a policy like that and in fact have never seen one because insurance doesn't actually work that way. Not even close or everyone would do it and Northwestern as a company was never an innovator.  But I also don't know how old you are and haven't seen the real terms either so there is that.

disclaimer: Used to sell Life and Disability ins
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I’d want my money too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They helped to bankrupt the Country, now they want even more free-rides...
I don’t know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I’d want my money too.
That money is long gone, and now they want money from everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The poor dears.

Based on that story, you paid for your children's college education.  Not everyone has that luxury.

I went to a state school with a little financial support from my parents.  Working summers and scholarships allowed me to escape without taking on any loans.  College is also very different then when I attended 15 years ago.

At least I have a busy day today. Those medi-gap policies for the boomers won't set prices themselves.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#14]
No.....thats not the family paying for her.  That's her paying for her own medical care.  Debts are not passed down.

Quoted:
Actually, it will work exactly like that in this case.  The bills will be taken from her estate.  Therefore her family will pay those $100k+ medical bills.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No.....thats not the family paying for her.  That's her paying for her own medical care.  Debts are not passed down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
He is either very confused or thinks heirs should get the estate even when money/liens are against said estate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
They love to spend.

Not just their own money, but everyone else's too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
What?
Millennials saddled themselves with that debt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?
Hey that underwater gender studies degree is needed by society.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?
Cause every millennial gets those degrees.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?
Meh likely  75% off majors could be culled and society would not even notice.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He is either very confused or thinks heirs should get the estate even when money/liens are against said estate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Reading is difficult for you, eh?  I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about that "lean" you continually mention.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When baby boomers post about how someone was "raiding" social security they expose what a loose and ill informed grasp they had on financial planning in the first place.
View Quote

It demonstrates that they believed the government's lie about establishing a Social Security "trust fund".

Apparently you're not old enough to remember that particular lie.
Perhaps you remember the updated version for this millennium - the "lock box".
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Reading is difficult for you, eh?  I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about that "lean" you continually mention.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Did I misspell it the first time? Sorry didn't mean to confuse but you surely get what I was saying.....or then again maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It demonstrates that they believed the government's lie about establishing a Social Security "trust fund".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had the exact same options in paying Social Security that the smarmy young fuckers do. They took it out of our checks.

So for all of you claiming we were "duped" why don't YOU just quit paying?

Because you don't have a choice that's why.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did I misspell it the first time? Sorry didn't mean to confuse but you surely get what I was saying.....or then again maybe not.
View Quote
If you are attempting to use the word "lien", those are not normally used in probate, unless there's some sort of real estate to be encumbered.  
So it's not clear what you were attempting to say.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you are attempting to use the word "lien", those are not normally used in probate, unless there's some sort of real estate to be encumbered.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liens on estates from medical are quit common around here per my wife which works in hospital administration. Yes I did incorrectly spell it wrong the first time  (likely due to auto correct) but not the second time if you would like to look back.  At this point i'm not sure if you are trying to be smug or are generally confused as me and several other posters have pointed out in this thread. Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Liens on estates from medical are quit common around here per my wife which works in hospital administration. Yes I did incorrectly spell it wrong the first time  (likely due to auto correct) but not the second time if you would like to look back.  At this point i'm not sure if you are trying to be smug or are generally confused as me and several other posters have pointed out in this thread. Carry on.  
View Quote
What on earth makes you think there's a lien on her estate?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK lets pretend there is not, maybe there isn't I'm not psychic. Sell the estate while shes owes money on medical and the sellers get to pay the medical bills which is fair.

We clear now?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK lets pretend there is not, maybe there isn't I'm not psychic. Sell the estate while shes owes money on medical and the sellers get to pay the medical bills which is fair.

We clear now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We clear now?
You've lost me once again: Sell the estate while shes owes money on medical and the sellers get to pay the medical bills which is fair.
There is no "estate" to sell.

As I said in my OP, her family (heirs) will get stuck paying those medical bills - because it will come out of their inheritance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lien.  FFS, does no one own a dictionary any more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

Quoted:

Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
She was eligible, but for some reason, she never signed up for Medicare.  
They will come from HER estate, the family members will not pay these bills from THEIR estates. If her estate does not cover the expenses the family does not pay for the bills out of pocket.  
Lien.  FFS, does no one own a dictionary any more?
Maybe you should read all the posts above
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You've lost me once again: Sell the estate while shes owes money on medical and the sellers get to pay the medical bills which is fair.

As I said in my OP, her family (heirs) will get stuck paying those medical bills - because it will come out of their inheritance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We clear now?

It wasn't their money/estate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#34]
With all I see, I'm pretty well at the place where I've decided if you don't file bankruptcy at least twice in your life, you're a sucker. It's sad for people who like to do things the right way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another thing, if you are over 60 and still owe on a mortgage you are a retard. I know one guy in his  60's and has two house payments
View Quote
Tell that to guys in their 50s who found themselves starting over at a point in life when they EXPECTED to have a mortgage paid off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tell that to guys in their 50s who found themselves starting over at a point in life when they EXPECTED to have a mortgage paid off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I was at that point I would buy an RV or travel trailer and live out my life in different places based on the climate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
What does that have to do with what I said?
Let me guess: in your kind, unless it's STEM related, it's a worthless degree.
I would disagree. Society needs people in the fields that you may personally consider unimportant.
People who go into those fields should go in knowing that its a specialized field, or even  the reverse, a field that's very popular and they'll have a lot of competition once they get out.

Lets face it, the average person goes trough seven career changes in their working years.
For a lot of people, what they studied in school has little to do with what they wind up doing in life.
As the ivory tower folks like to say, college isn't just about getting raw facts of a scientific field poured into your head so you can be a STEM robot your whole life.

I think we're doing our kids  a disservice primarily by telling them that they need to saddle themselves with a ton of college debt at all.
The world needs masons, carpenters, plumbers, electricians. None of which needs a college degree
As I said though in my first post, we didn't saddle the kids with the college debt. They signed for it with their eyes open. Parents may have cosigned because we're the ones with a credit history, but in the end its a debt owed by the kids.

The other issue with college debt are schools that import in a bunch of truly undeserving kids, load them up with a tuition-free ride because of their ethnic or financial status, then don't hold them scholastically responsible because the college wants the revenue stream associated with that inner city minority student. Meanwhile white middle class kids from intact families get the short end of the financial aid stick.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's "lien".
"Lean" refers to the fat content of that hamburger you're flipping on your Weber tonight after work.

Quoted:
Our experience with older extended family relatives was that the Feds tried to go after anyone in the family that had money when the Feds covered an indigent family members medical and care expenses.
My parents had quite the runaround trying to explain that we hadn't had any contact with this family member, hadn't supported them in any way prior to their illness, and the government had no justification for trying to dunn us for the costs of care they provided this person.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I was at that point I would buy an RV or travel trailer and live out my life in different places based on the climate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't ready to retire.
But I wasn't about to live in a dingy apartment like the horror stories you hear about divorced guys.
I used my GI benefits for a mortgage, because that was an available option at the time.
I wound up in a nice area, good neighbors, close to both jobs, able to continue my FFL side gig.
Sure I have a mortgage. I know that I wont be able to stay here for the 30 years it'll take to pay off the mortgage.
In a decade or so when I sell this place and finally move out west and away from NYS in my 60s, it'll be an entirely new chapter.
In the meantime, I have a life to live.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would disagree. Society needs people in the fields that you may personally consider unimportant.
People who go into those fields should go in knowing that its a specialized field, or even  the reverse, a field that's very popular and they'll have a lot of competition once they get out.

Lets face it, the average person goes trough seven career changes in their working years.
For a lot of people, what they studied in school has little to do with what they wind up doing in life.
As the ivory tower folks like to say, college isn't just about getting raw facts of a scientific field poured into your head so you can be a STEM robot your whole life.

I think we're doing our kids  a disservice primarily by telling them that they need to saddle themselves with a ton of college debt at all.
The world needs masons, carpenters, plumbers, electricians. None of which needs a college degree
As I said though in my first post, we didn't saddle the kids with the college debt. They signed for it with their eyes open. Parents may have cosigned because we're the ones with a credit history, but in the end its a debt owed by the kids.

The other issue with college debt are schools that import in a bunch of truly undeserving kids, load them up with a tuition-free ride because of their ethnic or financial status, then don't hold them scholastically responsible because the college wants the revenue stream associated with that inner city minority student. Meanwhile white middle class kids from intact families get the short end of the financial aid stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And all those conservative families get to bankrupt their financial standing to pay for their own kids liberal indoctrination.  Who has time for freedom or values cause muh jobs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Free will is a bitch.

my former next door neighbor dclared bankruptcy in 2005. in 2006 he bought the house for $600K, which was pretty much the high water mark for home prices before the market crashed. this spring he just rolls out and walks on his house, moving into a rental property in the next county over. the bank just put it up for sale after it sat half the summer with no utilities for $549K.

meanwhile leading up to this, lavish vacations, two Audi luxury cars in the driveway, and some sort of grolwy, expensive pure bred -  breed of peace type dog, he just got.

hey, asshole, try staycations, adopt a mutt from the shelter and drive a camry, maybe you cpuld have afforded your house.

PS dude was a baby boomer, im not.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?
Had they just joined the military they could have paid for college with that sweet Post 9/11 GI bill money and got a $1100 a month check.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We had the exact same options in paying Social Security that the smarmy young fuckers do. They took it out of our checks.

So for all of you claiming we were "duped" why don't YOU just quit paying?

Because you don't have a choice that's why.
View Quote
I stopped paying SS At 46 yrs old.

There are always choices, and IIRC doesn't RR get waived from having to pay SS taxes?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And all those conservative families get to bankrupt their financial standing to pay for their own kids liberal indoctrination.  Who has time for freedom or values cause muh jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me I sent my sons to the recruiter office.

Want college? Go see Afghanistan
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Probably bankruptcies due to medical expenses. Very common.
View Quote
My FIL is a long-term retirement planner with stories of 7 and even 8 figure accounts being wiped out due to medical issues later in life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make better decisions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honestly, most of America would be better off with the decision to go to palliative vs. heroic care after certain points in life. The issue I hear ER and other doctors with large elderly populations is keeping people alive at great expense vs. simply letting go.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How the hell are boomers going bankrupt from medical bills when they have Medicare? Over 15% of the federal budget is now untouchable spending specifically to give them free healthcare. Every politician is terrified to talk about cutting it because the boomers will vote out whoever doesn't send them their welfare.
View Quote
Medicare only covers hospitalizations and nursing homes for a specific number of days.  After that, you are paying out of pocket.  I had grandparents living in FL both went through extended hospitalizations and stays in the nursing home last year before they passed.  Their life savings were demolished and they ended up in "Medic-Aid" beds before passing.  Very sad.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#49]
This is dildos

Boomers have assets
Millennials do not
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is dildos

Boomers have assets
Millennials do not
View Quote
Skinny jeans are not assets

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top