Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/4/2017 4:32:05 AM EDT
Six cubits, and a span is the definitive answer.

So, in modern terms... what was the nature of this fight? How big was David?

Are we talking, Andre the Giant vs Tom Cruise? (Tom cruise is a small man)
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea but I'm guessing that assuming it was a real battle with real people, he wasn't that big compared to what we think of today. Nutrition for those dudes would have sucked and limited growth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
he was about ten feet tall.

the real question is how many teeth did he have.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. 49 Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.
View Quote
Small arms, used in self-defense?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats probably a decent comparison honestly. Anamolies have always existed, and by that measurement Goliath would have been 9+ feet. Exaggeration may have obviously been part of the book.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Knee-high to a Giraffatitan.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have recently started trying to read the bible through, and I have a similar question. It says the Ark was 300 cubits in length, 50 cubits in width and 30 cubits in height and that when the flood occurred that the water rose 30 cubits. BUT where it gets interesting is that it clearly says that it covered mountains and so on. So how fucking big is a cubit, and imagine the size of the Ark in comparison

So if he was 6 cubits tall, I imagine he had to have been a monster because he's like a fifth as tall as the Ark according to the bible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have recently started trying to read the bible through, and I have a similar question. It says the Ark was 300 cubits in length, 50 cubits in width and 30 cubits in height and that when the flood occurred that the water rose 30 cubits. BUT where it gets interesting is that it clearly says that it covered mountains and so on. So how fucking big is a cubit, and imagine the size of the Ark in comparison

So if he was 6 cubits tall, I imagine he had to have been a monster because he's like a fifth as tall as the Ark according to the bible.
View Quote
A normal cubit is roughly equal to 18 inches. A long cubit is 21.

By those measurements, Goliath was 9 feet tall. The flood waters are 45 feet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats probably a decent comparison honestly. Anamolies have always existed, and by that measurement Goliath would have been 9+ feet. Exaggeration may have obviously been part of the book.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the exaggeration but... it doesn;t sound like a big deal.  Why was it a big deal, in that era?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#9]
EDIT: I quoted myself. Heh.

How big was David?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How big was David?
View Quote
Something like 5 foot even probably
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big was David?
That's What I came up with.

'Goliath" talked a lot of smack before his demise.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tall enough to ride a dinosaur off the ark. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

I'm asking the questions - from a reputable source.

The height of Goliath is static. We have that. Published via translation, for all to see

Now, how about David? How tall was he?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

The height of Goliath is static. We have that. Published via translation, for all to see

View Quote
The Bible?

The Bible is not a history book...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Bible?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

The Bible?

There are some excellent books written by people who felt the same way as you, went out to prove it, and ended up coming to a much different conclusion.  You should read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel as a starting point.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are some excellent books written by people who felt the same way as you, went out to prove it, and ended up coming to a much different conclusion.  You should read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel as a starting point.
View Quote
How old is the Earth according to the bible?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Bible?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

The Bible?

Actually, it's considered a primary document by historians for that time period.  There aren't a ton of options for source material.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a no-go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

Less than 3 cubits. Probably less than 2. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually, it's considered a primary document by historians for that time period.  There aren't a ton of options for source material.  
View Quote
Care to provide a non-bias source to back up that claim?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible doesn't weigh in on the matter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Bible?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a no-go.

The Bible?

It certainly is. Can you name other 2-5k year old history books and do you give them the same scrutiny? Are you as skeptical about the Amarna tablets? Do you give weight to all the Babylonian texts found?

As for the OP, the Bible doesn't give David's height but says he was a youth, so a teenager. Probably skinny. Everybody was.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Bible?

View Quote
Uh, in many ways, that's exactly what it is. Take a look at I and II Kings, or take a peek through the gospels, especially Luke-Acts (which is often recognized for the rigor of its recordkeeping). If you expect an ancient history text to contain what a modern one does, that's a bit silly. If you think that there's no historical veracity to the Bible, you really should take a second look. It's the most extensively cataloged, corroborated, and well-known text from the ancient world by a long shot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
YEC disagrees with you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Uh, in many ways, that's exactly what it is. Take a look at I and II Kings, or take a peek through the gospels, especially Luke-Acts (which is often recognized for the rigor of its recordkeeping). If you expect an ancient history text to contain what a modern one does, that's a bit silly. If you think that there's no historical veracity to the Bible, you really should take a second look. It's the most extensively cataloged, corroborated, and well-known text from the ancient world by a long shot.
View Quote
Of course you can't hold the same standards as today's record keeping. However, I wouldn't put it past a man to make some shit up when he writes about it 50 to 100 years after the fact.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
YEC disagrees with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEC disagrees with you.
YEC isn't the Bible, now is it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#27]
So... are we going to page 2, without answering my question?

How big, was David?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#28]
A cubit is 1.5'.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So... are we going to page 2, without answering my question?

How big, was David?
View Quote
Less than 6 cubits tall.

Goliath was almost as large as Dwayne the Rock Johnson.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Of course you can't hold the same standards as today's record keeping. However, I wouldn't put it past a man to make some shit up when he writes about it 50 to 100 years after the fact.
View Quote
How would you then explain how versions of the Bible, found hundreds of years apart and many thousands of miles apart, are almost exactly the same? Are you saying that the guy who wrote it exaggerated, but the thousands of people who rewrote it over millennia didn't spice it up?

Google textual criticism.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Read any thread on the Civil War in GD. Not much has changed.

By the same token, which sources do you trust? Fuck, if you were to read two news stories from last week from major networks, they would come to completely different conclusions on the same day of the event they're describing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No idea but I'm guessing that assuming it was a real battle with real people, he wasn't that big compared to what we think of today. Nutrition for those dudes would have sucked and limited growth.
View Quote
What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#33]
dude was probably a manlet by today's standards
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think anything is directly written on how tall or large David was.

Some say small (he was only 17 or so years old) but his father and oldest brothers were big men.

My guess would be he ended up at least average height...........maybe more.............???
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the flood was 45 feet deep, why didn't people just go to higher ground?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically it doesn't. But Biblical scholars have extrapolated a timeline from connecting all the begats with the occasional historic events the Bible got correct.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
View Quote
Yes it does. It also says that God then deemed that man should not live that long.

Did the exaggerations about people's ages suddenly stop 4k years ago? Did the guy writing Exodus say "whoa, nobody who reads Genesis in the year 2000 is going to believe that, I'd better make people normal."
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Read any thread on the Civil War in GD. Not much has changed.

By the same token, which sources do you trust? Fuck, if you were to read two news stories from last week from major networks, they would come to completely different conclusions on the same day of the event they're describing.
View Quote
If I am interested, I read multiple sources.

When it comes to the bible and speaking to people of any religion..it seems that they have one source.  If you doubt that source, you are a bad person.

Most of the people I have met that believe in this, have believed since they were a child. Their parents taught them that it is the truth. They are doing the same with their kids.

If you teach a kid from a young age that one book is the way of life and all others are wrong...the kid is likely going to believe that and carry that for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#39]
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

Its a different story if its chicks with dicks thread....  

They love those.  Christianity however, ruffles their jimmies.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe that most biblical scholars put it about 6000 +/- years, however they of course are not God and it is His story.

The Case for Christ is an excellent book btw if you are looking for answers to faith.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#41]
If he were considered a giant, maybe 7 to 9 feet tall? Looking at Greek mythology as an example you would think Ajax was maybe the same stature. Larger than the average man for the time. Imposing on the battlefield where men fought mostly hand to hand. A guy one foot taller and bulky swinging a large hand weapon would do well to get your attention.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If I am interested, I read multiple sources.

When it comes to the bible and speaking to people of any religion..it seems that they have one source.  If you doubt that source, you are a bad person.

Most of the people I have met that believe in this, have believed since they were a child. Their parents taught them that it is the truth. They are doing the same with their kids.

If you teach a kid from a young age that one book is the way of life and all others are wrong...the kid is likely going to believe that and carry that for the rest of their lives.
View Quote
Well that's wrong. Most people have doubts. That's where faith comes in. I've never been taught to not question why God has done things a certain way, but its His call, not mine. Ultimately the Bible does have more veracity than any other ancient text.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If he were considered a giant, maybe 7 to 9 feet tall? Looking at Greek mythology as an example you would think Ajax was maybe the same stature. Larger than the average man for the time. Imposing on the battlefield where men fought mostly hand to hand. A guy one foot taller and bulky swinging a large hand weapon would do well to get your attention.
View Quote
The Bible says his armor weighed 125 lbs and the point of his spear 15 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Nephilim are pretty big..
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

View Quote

Sad but true, I guess satan's got a hold on them...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those pesky Atheists at it again!!??

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disregarding a discussion on whether the Bible uses AGL or ASL...

Where is this 45 feet number coming from?

The waters swelled fifteen cubits above the mountains, covering them. Gen. 7:20 LEB.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe that most biblical scholars put it about 6000 +/- years, however they of course are not God and it is His story.

The Case for Christ is an excellent book btw if you are looking for answers to faith.  
View Quote
Extravagant claims require extravagant proof.

Faith doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Goliath was a post flood giant so he was smaller than the original men of renown. He was about 9 ft.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top