BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knew this was coming the second I saw an article and thought "UPS people make THAT much?".

It would be great if every job paid 6 figures and that this was sustainable. However, that is not real life.

Lots of people are going to learn this the hard way.
View Quote

A lot of blue collar jobs pay 6 figures, but they aren't sit at a computer and surf the web or play on your phone all day.

High paying "low skill" jobs require time with the company to work you way up, demanding physical work that most people cant hack, shitty working condition, lots of overtime, or all the above.

UPS drivers are making 6 figures because operations generates a lot of revenue for the company.  Non-union office jobs are being cut because they are not justifying their cost.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's woke taboo to talk about the 25,000 plus layoffs from Amazon since 2023. It's laughable that Amazon is the left-wing coddled baby.

I follow the stocks the best I can, and both are slashing jobs, Amazon has been for 18 months, 2023 was another big layoff year for Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
UPS is based in Atlanta? I thought their base was Louisville, KY.
View Quote

The Airline hub is in SDF. HQ is in ATL. They have always paid top dollar for pilots. It was a crappy place to work because of hard assed management but you could make a pile of money flying there.

Only FedEx and UPS had defined benefit pensions that survived the corporate raider/sham bankruptcy era.

I REALLY wish I’d gone to FedEx in ‘92…
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Well they lost over $120k alone (gross) by using my account number as part of the tracking number and then letting my account get hacked.

A known problem for almost a decade, yet they keep allowing it.

So that’s 1 years pay for one of those 12k getting laid off.

Adding, their rates have skyrocketed also in the last 2 years
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ground here treats their employees like convicts.  armed guards, turnstiles, metal detectors.  cameras everywhere like a prison visiting room.
View Quote

This. I used to Jumpseat on FedEx to the Indy hub. I kind of laughed when they said I had to run my bags through the X-ray machine and go through a metal detector to LEAVE the facility.

Then, I saw how serious they were.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bringing those employees back to the office will certainly increase e-commerce and turn the ship around.
View Quote

Most of WFHers will not be coming back anywhere.   They get to Stay home.   Just without the nicety of a Paycheck.

They proved themselves to be extraneous.   Unnecessary baggage to be jettisoned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
“and costs jumped from the company’s new contract with the Teamsters union”

Look for the union label!
View Quote

“Inflation”.    Even the best unions, can not keep up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

fedex ground courier is contractor

fedex express couriers are employees.

ground sucks festering donkey balls.  

used to be an Express courier.  totally different operations.  

Ground here treats their employees like convicts.  armed guards, turnstiles, metal detectors.  cameras everywhere like a prison visiting room.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is

fedex ground courier is contractor

fedex express couriers are employees.

ground sucks festering donkey balls.  

used to be an Express courier.  totally different operations.  

Good!   As a Customer, that’s exactly what we want and need.
Only way to keep them honest.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
When they lay off 12,000of your peers, then tell you to get your ass back in the office it carries some weight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep... you want more, we pay more. Oh wait, now our bottom line sucks so we have to lay you off.
View Quote

Are the folks being trimmed actual delivery drivers or white collar office dudes?

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Good. They went along with the plan to prevent regular folks from shipping firearms, parts, etc. Let them suffer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The office folk are gonna be pissed at the drivers for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My company announced 1% layoffs last week, roughly 1,200 folks.

DoD prime contractor
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A lot of blue collar jobs pay 6 figures, but they aren't sit at a computer and surf the web or play on your phone all day.

High paying "low skill" jobs require time with the company to work you way up, demanding physical work that most people cant hack, shitty working condition, lots of overtime, or all the above.

UPS drivers are making 6 figures because operations generates a lot of revenue for the company.  Non-union office jobs are being cut because they are not justifying their cost.

View Quote
Laughs while yard shifters hide in the shadows and shut their radios off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
i love reading this shit
all the morons who think WFH is a good thing for them are about to get smacked by the long dick of reality.
if you can work from home, anyone can do your job. be it AI, outsourcing, etc.
if i ever worked from home i would be the first one requesting to go back to the office
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Nvm
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-layoffs
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Two different issues

1) 12,000 people being laid off
2) Office workers on a hybrid WFM schedule now have to work FT in office
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So they're shitcanning people that work there that make absolutely no contribution to the operation of picking up and delivering shit around the world? Cool. Let me know when they start shitcanning operations personnel.

Two different issues

1) 12,000 people being laid off
2) Office workers on a hybrid WFM schedule now have to work FT in office

I suspect not many of those 12k are delivery guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I suspect not many of those 12k are delivery guys.
View Quote
No union shills are being laid off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So they're shitcanning people that work there that make absolutely no contribution to the operation of picking up and delivering shit around the world? Cool. Let me know when they start shitcanning operations personnel.
View Quote

I’m with you. It looks like they are cleaning up shop.

And of all the currier’s I work with. They are the best. It pains my stomach to say that as I’m fairly anti union. But, if I really need it done on time it’s who I use. If I don’t care there are cheaper alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep... you want more, we pay more. Oh wait, now our bottom line sucks so we have to lay you off.
View Quote

Laughing my fucking ass off... except their shitty service will now be even shittier
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Everything is fine.

They can build EV's since those are in high demand

(sarc)
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Unions fuck up everything they touch:

EVERY

SINGLE

TIME.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i love reading this shit
all the morons who think WFH is a good thing for them are about to get smacked by the long dick of reality.
if i ever worked from home i would be the first one requesting to go back to the office
View Quote

It’s funny how clueless some of you guys are when it comes to job requirements and the opportunities available.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
UPS has been shitting the bed and rolling around in it since they went public.  

Since the 1997 strike UPS cut investments in the back end in order to be able to fund the union labor.  UPS management had always been more than willing to fudge numbers to make things look good.  All management came up through the ranks and self selected for this style of management and leadership.  It got 10x worse when everyone started attempting to drive profit to make the market happy.

Building maintenance, IT investment, forward looking research, etc, were all cut back.  

Now the question will come if there has been significant investments in reducing union labor, starting with preload/reload.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
of those 12,000 how many are good drivers?

sounds like they are just trimming the fat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right.

This is probably like when Musk laid off the latte girls at Twitter. You're not fucking necessary.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Dang!  The union sure showed them!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Bidenomics
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the article
UPS CEO Carol Tomé told analysts on an earnings call that the layoffs — which will impact about 14% of 85,000 full- and part-time managers — are expected to save the delivery giant $1 billion, according to Bloomberg.

HOWEVER, this is slightly misleading.  Many of those positions are used for peak season drive/sort operations or emergency backup drivers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#34]
PayPal also laid off people today. 2,500 or 9% of the workforce with more cuts coming.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I thought about creating a thread just to vent…now I don’t have to

I got something sent to me last week, put in the “mail” on Wednesday for 2 day air.  I got a delivery notice I would get it on Friday from an email on Thursday.  The package arrived at my local facility (less than 10 miles from my house) Thursday night at 11:59PM.  At 6:15 am on Friday I got a notice that my package was in a severe weather delay…….  It has been above freezing since last Wed and only one or two days of rain.  Package is in the same status as of this moment…...  I tried the automated system which was the only option, sent an email and still nothing but crickets.  I am now contacting the seller to make sure he gets his upgraded shipping fees returned, I could care less if I get the money but this shit is pathetic.

View Quote

UPS has not guaranteed delivery times since the start of covid.  They are more than happy to take your money for providing that option however.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Ups sucks slightly less than FedEx . They still suck and customer service from ups might as well be talking to your dog..The dog has better results
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i love reading this shit
View Quote

Laughs in DoD procurement of classified shit
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#38]
imagine that

where are the teamsters now for their UPS brethren?  Losers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bringing those employees back to the office will certainly increase e-commerce and turn the ship around.
View Quote

When I'm at home, I'm doing laundry and dishes. When I'm sitting in the office looking for time to kill, I surf arfcom and spend money. So yeah, I guess they are right...
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My mailman hauls about half the stuff now that UPS used to deliver.  Probably hard to compete with a tax-funded, money-losing .gov delivery service.
View Quote

Lol what? UPS gives those packages to the USPS for the “last mile” because it saves them money. Not because they’re obligated to because of .gov. What an ignorant comment. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in their “I hate .gov” feelings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like it is mostly corporate workers.  They aren't Teamsters.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I got something sent to me last week, put in the “mail” on Wednesday for 2 day air.  I got a delivery notice I would get it on Friday from an email on Thursday.  The package arrived at my local facility (less than 10 miles from my house) Thursday night at 11:59PM.  At 6:15 am on Friday I got a notice that my package was in a severe weather delay…….  It has been above freezing since last Wed and only one or two days of rain.  Package is in the same status as of this moment…...  I tried the automated system which was the only option, sent an email and still nothing but crickets.  I am now contacting the seller to make sure he gets his upgraded shipping fees returned, I could care less if I get the money but this shit is pathetic.

View Quote

Facility is 10 miles away and you didn't just go ask?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol what? UPS gives those packages to the USPS for the “last mile” because it saves them money. Not because they’re obligated to because of .gov. What an ignorant comment. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in their “I hate .gov” feelings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mailman hauls about half the stuff now that UPS used to deliver.  Probably hard to compete with a tax-funded, money-losing .gov delivery service.

Of course it saves them money.  That's why they do it.  By transferring it over to a subsidized org that just has to ask for more funding when the numbers don't come out looking so good.

Whoever said anything about them being obligated?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Of course it saves them money.  That's why they do it.  By transferring it over to a subsidized org that just has to ask for more funding when the numbers don't come out looking so good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USPS should be making good money with the agreements. It’s the most expensive and complicated leg.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When I'm at home, I'm doing laundry and dishes. When I'm sitting in the office looking for time to kill, I surf arfcom and spend money. So yeah, I guess they are right...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touché sir
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear that.  Three delays last week on my PSA ammo order.  Shit was sitting 10 miles away, I could have rode my bike on the roads to the depot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Companies love to blame employees working remote for their falling sales numbers.

It's utterly ridiculous on so many levels.

"If everyone would stop being lazy and come back into the office, collaboration will save the company."

It's such a joke.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh yea, because everyone knows how awesome fedex is
View Quote

Fedex delivered 3 days in a row at my house. UPS said the roads were too bad to drive on, dropped the package at USPS and didn't notify me.
I'll take FedEx.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not going to celebrate anyone losing their job. America is at a critical juncture, we no longer have to send those jobs offshore, we now have 6 million new low skill workers that could fill those positions right here and most of them would be eager to do so.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Hopefully this leads to longer wait times, which will ensure more threads on here from guys bitching about how long it takes to get. $79 part that they saved three months for!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top