Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked him in Drive & The Nice Guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he was too that's what the speech and the unicorn was about by Castillo.

Ryan fucking gosling :(
He might help make a cult classic sci-fi movie into a date night destination.

Her: Robots?
Him: Ryan Gosling.
Her: Okay <3 <3 <3
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Nice Guys was surprisingly awesome.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My guess is they are going to use the "Final Cut" as canon and Rachel is long dead (having hit her four year life span, plus Sean Young is apparently on record saying she isn't in the movie at all and nobody returned her calls... and not just because she has a rep for being bat shit crazy now), Deckard is hiding in some wasteland as a wanted man most likely (because he can't show his face back in society otherwise he'd be arrested), Deckard is human (because his original story doesn't work if he is a replicant), and Ryan Gosling's character is brand new and in no way related to Deckard... but follows a storyline very similar to Deckard's.

My thinking is that the story will be something of a remake but continue elements of the old story ala Force Awakens. Gosling will be a new Blade Runner tasked with hunting down another group of renegade replicants, one of which will be a new Tyrell prototype (the brunette, made by a "new" Tyrell played by Leto). He will follow a similar path as Deckard (falling in love with the prototype as he hunts the others), but in the process he will learn about the story and whereabouts of Deckard and Rachel (possibly from Gaff) and how they disappeared 30 years ago. This will give him some sort of drive to find them to see if they actually did escape and live "happily ever after" (giving him hope he can do the same). In the process there will be some story development that makes Gosling's character question his own humanity, and we eventually discover at the end that he himself is a prototype replicant built to hunt down other replicants (finally bowing to the whole "Decard is a replicant" thing, but without damaging the original film's plot).
View Quote
Good hypothesis. If they go by Ridley's "He's a replicant" BS, then he will be one in this movie. I hope not since he was not one in the book or in the original movie and no unicorn dream inserted in the film will change that. The book "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" has nothing about him being a replicant. There's just too much evidence in the movie to positively say "He's not a replicant."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good hypothesis. If they go by Ridley's "He's a replicant" BS, then he will be one in this movie. I hope not since he was not one in the book or in the original movie and no unicorn dream inserted in the film will change that. The book "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" has nothing about him being a replicant. There's just too much evidence in the movie to positively say "He's not a replicant."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is they are going to use the "Final Cut" as canon and Rachel is long dead (having hit her four year life span, plus Sean Young is apparently on record saying she isn't in the movie at all and nobody returned her calls... and not just because she has a rep for being bat shit crazy now), Deckard is hiding in some wasteland as a wanted man most likely (because he can't show his face back in society otherwise he'd be arrested), Deckard is human (because his original story doesn't work if he is a replicant), and Ryan Gosling's character is brand new and in no way related to Deckard... but follows a storyline very similar to Deckard's.

My thinking is that the story will be something of a remake but continue elements of the old story ala Force Awakens. Gosling will be a new Blade Runner tasked with hunting down another group of renegade replicants, one of which will be a new Tyrell prototype (the brunette, made by a "new" Tyrell played by Leto). He will follow a similar path as Deckard (falling in love with the prototype as he hunts the others), but in the process he will learn about the story and whereabouts of Deckard and Rachel (possibly from Gaff) and how they disappeared 30 years ago. This will give him some sort of drive to find them to see if they actually did escape and live "happily ever after" (giving him hope he can do the same). In the process there will be some story development that makes Gosling's character question his own humanity, and we eventually discover at the end that he himself is a prototype replicant built to hunt down other replicants (finally bowing to the whole "Decard is a replicant" thing, but without damaging the original film's plot).
There was a discussion somewhere that he wasn't a regular replicant. A special replicant built by Tyrell. Much like Rachel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Will watch
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or Shia gets his Commie face melted off by the power of God.
View Quote
Hope springs eternal in the human heart.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Wake up! Time to die!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn I can't wait to see this, really hoping they didn't fudge it!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Almost sounds like the original soundtrack from Vangelis -- or a soundalike version.

A sequel to my favorite movie... I'll have to check it out.
View Quote
Better late than never.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
They just better make it clear that Deckard is NOT a replicant. Makes no mother fucking sense you'd send a weak ass, inferior model against the Nexus 6 replicants. God damn stupid ass premise by Ridley Scott
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was a discussion somewhere that he wasn't a regular replicant. A special replicant built by Tyrell. Much like Rachel.
View Quote
All evidence says he's not a replicant though. Only and I mean ONLY when the Director's Cut was being released did Ridley Scott say he was a replicant. Until that point he wasn't one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Soft reboots need to end.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They just better make it clear that Deckard is NOT a replicant. Makes no mother fucking sense you'd send a weak ass, inferior model against the Nexus 6 replicants. God damn stupid ass premise by Ridley Scott
View Quote
I can see that meeting in the Captain's office:

"So what you're saying is we have some skinjobs on the loose, one of them is a genuine military genius and skilled in close quarters combat, another is dumb as a box of rocks but stronger than our whole tac team combined, then they got an infiltration model that will spot anyone we send up against them, plus a flirt that they'll use to get resources...and you're telling me you want me to send that Special that Tyrell sent over that doesn't even come close to being a match for any of them in any of their specialties? Sure why not, what could possibly go wrong, right?"

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Atari and Coke?

That's a Coca Cola sign right?

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Even with it being out of focus it sure looks like one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess they opted out of giant screens featuring Japanese women eating peanuts. Any theories on the black eyes?

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Between this and Covenant, Scott is killing it
View Quote
I sure hope this one has black goo and a snake pussy in it too
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Lotsa interesting movies coming out this year.

Sequel to Blade Runner is the one I have my highest hopes for, it was my favorite sci-fi movie ever.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
With Covenant and Blade Runner both coming out this year maybe we will get to see the stories meet and cross over. There have been hints that they take place in the the same Universe. In the Prometheus extras you can read a letter Weyland wrote about Tyrell and his bad end at the hands of his own creation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There have been hints that they take place in the the same Universe. In the Prometheus extras you can read a letter Weyland wrote about Tyrell and his bad end at the hands of his own creation.
View Quote
Hmm. I did not know that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmm. I did not know that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#22]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfi2gxggDM[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That looks pretty good.

October 6 is a weird release date.  I would have thought Christmas or Summer for that kind of movie.
View Quote
Typically odd release dates, like October are for shitty movies that they don't want to release during the major showing dates (Christmas time, Spring).  The big movie studios review the movies and set the release dates.  They know a turd when they see it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can see that meeting in the Captain's office:

"So what you're saying is we have some skinjobs on the loose, one of them is a genuine military genius and skilled in close quarters combat, another is dumb as a box of rocks but stronger than our whole tac team combined, then they got an infiltration model that will spot anyone we send up against them, plus a flirt that they'll use to get resources...and you're telling me you want me to send that Special that Tyrell sent over that doesn't even come close to being a match for any of them in any of their specialties? Sure why not, what could possibly go wrong, right?"

View Quote
Yeah, it's like committing to a game against NBA players and opting to choose all high school kids as your team. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks good, but I don't like the casting of gosling. He's not believable as a tough guy/action star, imho.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All evidence says he's not a replicant though. Only and I mean ONLY when the Director's Cut was being released did Ridley Scott say he was a replicant. Until that point he wasn't one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. This was a point of contention during filming between Scott and Ford. He said something to the effect of being offended his character was pretty much a toaster IIRC (that and the voiceover). Scott has been hinting publicly about Deckard being a replicant for well over two decades. There's actually video of Scott saying he was at an event like Comicon. The unicorn scene. Implanted. Only replicants dream of the same unicorn scene....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Best reason to see it. Smoking hot Cuban girl.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think it's because the original got wiped out by E.T.'s box-office debut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically odd release dates, like October are for shitty movies that they don't want to release during the major showing dates (Christmas time, Spring).  The big movie studios review the movies and set the release dates.  They know a turd when they see it.
I think it's because the original got wiped out by E.T.'s box-office debut.
The way they marketed the movie, as an action adventure, was at odds with the actual movie- with it having its noir roots.

It did badly at the box office.

But it was ahead of its time. It's really an incredible movie. I didn't like it at the box office because of the way it was marketed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The movie Soldier starring Kurt Russell also takes place in the same movie universe as Bladerunner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The movie Soldier starring Kurt Russell also takes place in the same movie universe as Bladerunner.
Tannhauser Gate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope. This was a point of contention during filming between Scott and Ford. He said something to the effect of being offended his character was pretty much a toaster IIRC (that and the voiceover). Scott has been hinting publicly about Deckard being a replicant for well over two decades. There's actually video of Scott saying he was at an event like Comicon. The unicorn scene. Implanted. Only replicants dream of the same unicorn scene....
View Quote
Read the books like "Future Noir The Making of Blade Runner" and get back to me. He was never a replicant. The story itself makes no sense if he's a replicant which is why he's not one in the original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. That unicorn scene didn't exist until the director's cut.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I'M SO FUCKING IN.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't think that's biologically possible is it? I mean wasn't she a robot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good. I think that Ryan Gosling is the Deckard and Rachel's Son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjiqa-PWGQY

I don't think that's biologically possible is it? I mean wasn't she a robot?
Why would replicants be able to replicate? Wouldn't that make them "replicans"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone read the book? The author was, literally, insane and also on LSD when he wrote it, and a number of his other novels.

And it shows, but ... check out the classic SciFi movies based on his books:

Total Recall
The Adjustment Bureau
Screamers
Minority Report
Blade Runner

The book Blade Runner is based on is titled, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Stolen from the Highlander?

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's what brought back Atari.  The Japanese perfected punch in the nuts robots.
View Quote
Lol, Atari is an American Company.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone read the book? The author was, literally, insane and also on LSD when he wrote it, and a number of his other novels.

And it shows, but ... check out the classic SciFi movies based on his books:

Total Recall
The Adjustment Bureau
Screamers
Minority Report
Blade Runner

The book Blade Runner is based on is titled, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
View Quote
Yep, I've read most of them. In the book "Future Noir The Making of Blade Runner" it's said that Philip K. Dick was asked to sit in on a private showing of an unfinished version of Blade Runner. At the end he said he didn't know how they did it, but it was exactly what he envisioned when he was writing the book. This was right before his death.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you ever seen No Way Out? Sean Young was supremely hittable in the early-mid '80s.
View Quote
What would you rate her on the hittable/crazy scale now and then? That crazy chart has red heads, strippers but not actresses on it

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Being that replicant are designed for different purposes maybe Deckard is a deep cover infiltration model. To strong or smart and he sticks out. Tryell slipped him into the police force for some as yet unknown agenda. Deckard may not even know what he is.  I would like to see the Zora model again. She didn't get enough time in the original.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's Ridley explaining weather he is or is not a replicant. It's about the Unicorn dream that showed up in the Director's Cut. Ridely Scott

That's all he has and he put that BS in there to sell DVDs. That unicorn meant Gaff knew Rachel was there and let them be together. Gaff made little origami pieces throughout the movie explaining how Deckard felt at that moment. The unicorn represented something hard to find/catch, one of a kind like Rachel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why would replicants be able to replicate? Wouldn't that make them "replicans"?
View Quote
I'll drink to that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]
"Do androids" is an ok book except for the action sequences which are absurd.  It would have made for a terrible film imo.  Phil Dick was not insane nor on lsd when he wrote the novel.   He was an intelligent weird fucking guy who at that time was on a lot of speed.  

I've read future noir and other stuff about the movie.  Whatever is in those books the bottom line is that Scott barely told anyone shit.   He says he always intended that Deckard was a replicant....always.   He wouldn't give Ford hardly any direction at all and it pissed him off, which is why he's always been a smug dickhead about the film all these years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lol, Atari is an American Company.
View Quote
Right.  Go back to the original quote.  It was claimed that the Japanese perfected BJ bots.  I said BJ Robots were brought back by Atari which explains the promonant Atari logo.  The Japanese, being Japanese perfected punch in the nuts robots.

I guess if I half to explain it, it must not be funny.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here's Ridley explaining weather he is or is not a replicant. It's about the Unicorn dream that showed up in the Director's Cut. Ridely Scott

That's all he has and he put that BS in there to sell DVDs. That unicorn meant Gaff knew Rachel was there and let them be together. Gaff made little origami pieces throughout the movie explaining how Deckard felt at that moment. The unicorn represented something hard to find/catch, one of a kind like Rachel.
View Quote
The book and the movie are not the same.  This causes arfommers a real problem. 

I read the book after I saw the movie.  In the movie, the replicants are not mechanical robots.  They are almost impossible to detect.

Same thing happened with "The man in the high castle".  The series and book have a commonality, but the are not the same.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Subtle Atari logo?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I was always struck by Gaff's line at the end after Roy dies.   "You've done a man's job/work sir."   Seemed like a odd phrase.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've heard the same thing said about Outland (1981) staring Sean Connery.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Read the books like "Future Noir The Making of Blade Runner" and get back to me. He was never a replicant. The story itself makes no sense if he's a replicant which is why he's not one in the original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. That unicorn scene didn't exist until the director's cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We aren't talking books. The unicorn scene, IIRC, was part of the original filming. This is also why Gaff does the origami unicorn at the end of the movie, because he knows about the memory implants.

But because the film was owned by so many interests and Scott was only the director, the studio had a say in how the original was cut. After Ridley got more creative control over the anniversary editions, then that's when he started back with redoing it and putting in various deleted scenes (in addition to some additional do over shit, mostly voice, years later IIRC). there are actually two director's cuts (Director's cut and Final cut). In 1982 there were at least 3 versions. An International one, one with the voice over and one without IIRC.

And Philip K. Dick said that Deckard wasn't a replicant. But Scott did say he was.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#50]
So what's the deal on the 350lb man that this scene alludes to?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top